Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, etc. have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 15 2014, 4:20am

Post #1 of 55 (1326 views)
Shortcut
What movies, tv shows, etc. have you watched recently? Can't Post

Tell us about them here.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Calithilel
Rivendell

Sep 15 2014, 8:03am

Post #2 of 55 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Supernatural weekend :D [In reply to] Can't Post

After months of debating (not really but was busy with True Blood.) I finally got myself to see Supernatural, still only on first season though :P And I really think it is interesting, though it is too scary to watch in the dark and I always have a blanket to hide under incase bugs comes around... I hate bugs, who doesn`t? ;) The worst part is when they are hunting the demons, like in a forest, and the demon/spirit or something also hunts them and you have no idea where it is. If it was stuck in a house, much better :P

I recorded a Tolkien documentary and only saw half of it, but it is very interesting so far.

I also saw the Lord of the Rings animated movie with my best friend, since hers dvd isn`t with sound. I can never be tired of watching that movie, I love the beginning of it. (It is the fellowship and the two towers, still searching for return of the king and the hobbit.)

Who doesn`t love the Durins?
Thorin #majestic Oakenshield
Fili Lionheart/Lion king
Kili the Kutiest-patootie

(This post was edited by Calithilel on Sep 15 2014, 8:03am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 15 2014, 8:08am

Post #3 of 55 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Ken Burns on the Roosevelts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Brilliant, as are all his productions. Really looking forward to the rest of the series!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 15 2014, 9:28am

Post #4 of 55 (1087 views)
Shortcut
I have some catching up to do [In reply to] Can't Post

Alright, here goes!

Godzilla - visually striking, but I would have like to have seen the titular character more.

X-Men: Days of Future Past - engaging, albeit slightly chaotic. I enjoyed its predecessor more.

Maleficent - visually splendid, but lacking in content.

A Long Way Down - great premise, but ultimately a forgettable film.

Edge of Tomorrow - gripping and intelligent.

Transformers: Age of Extinction - boring and unoriginal.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - wondrous and warm, funny and heartrending at the same time. Worthy successor to the first film.

Guardians of the Galaxy - entertaining and different, although predictable at times.

The Hundred-Foot Journey - amusing and light.

Lucy - intense and thought-provoking, albeit a bit generic.

Let's Be Cops - cliché-ridden and shallow, yet surprisingly entertaining and funny.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 15 2014, 9:39am

Post #5 of 55 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Breakind Bad [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally I started this phenomenon.

Episodes 2-5: Awesome television... those actors, this writing. It is magnificent and I will order a complete set very, very soon.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 15 2014, 1:10pm

Post #6 of 55 (1062 views)
Shortcut
The Hundred Foot Journey; Breathless [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed The Hundred Food Journey, but it was probably longer than it needed to be. At times I had trouble understanding the dialogue. The older I get the more some accents stymie me.

Finished watching the Breathless miniseries set in the 60s starring Jack Davenport. He plays a compassionate OB-GYN with a secret threatening to come out, jeopardizing his wife and son. When I looked it up IMBD said there were 6 episodes (I'm guessing one hour each) but there were only 3 episodes to watch, albeit 1.5 hours each, including commercials -- that's still a loss of 1.5 hours so I think there was some cutting going on. A few unanswered questions at the end.

Also, I have just learned about Sean Bean's Legend -- it's halfway through its season and nobody told me! I will be watching it now and hope there will be repeats. Although my PVR is getting full, not enough time to watch everything!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 15 2014, 2:15pm

Post #7 of 55 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Didn't make it to the theater [In reply to] Can't Post

The new Tom Hardy/Gandalfini movie "The Drop" started last Friday, and I intended to see it but didn't make it. Will definitely do so this weekend, I get paid on Friday YAY!!!

Ended up watching "Captain America - The Winter Soldier", which is a fun ride, and the most recent episode of "Outlander," which was real bloody and intense! Next week's episode will be SO GOOD!!!

Spent most of my weekend making my own video for the Hobbit Fan Contest - wish me luck!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 15 2014, 3:25pm

Post #8 of 55 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Doctor Who: Listen [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't care for last week's Into the Dalek (too many leaps of logic), but this week's Listen had all the good stuff, such as a more intimate and subtle story and some real "whoa!" and "wow!" moments.

I like not only that they're setting up Clara with a significant other, but that her S.O. seems to have some very mysterious vibes like Clara herself.

I like the quick reference back to the War Doctor of the 50th Anniversary special. Moffat seems to be heading toward exploring the nature of the Doctor himself in this series. I'm wondering when we'll get back to the search for Gallifrey---the story seems to be going that way.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Sep 15 2014, 3:57pm

Post #9 of 55 (1040 views)
Shortcut
finished Season 1 of the Almighty Johnsons [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed some episodes thanks to rats chewing my cables (long story), so I streamed the ones I'd missed through Amazon and rewatched all the ones I'd managed to record. Thoroughly enjoying this series. Not like anything else on TV, and of course it speaks straight to my love of myths.

Watched the latest Doctor Who, but somehow it didn't quite grab me. I think maybe I need to watch it again and not multi-task while I do.

Went out to see A Song of the New Earth, a documentary made by some local film-makers about Tom Kenyon, a guy who 1. is a trained psychotherapist, 2. has a 4-octave singing voice, 3. channels information and sound meditations from some entities called the Hathors. Very funny and prosaic guy who fought against #3 for a long time, as of course hearing voices means you're crazy and as a therapist he knew that better than anyone. Now he travels the world singing whatever he feels coming through him from the place he's in at the time. His music is very weird and very beautiful. Not everyone's cup of tea but if it's yours, see this if you get the chance. At the very least you'll laugh a lot.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Sep 15 2014, 4:57pm

Post #10 of 55 (1040 views)
Shortcut
The Fisher King [In reply to] Can't Post

This was the first time I've seen this film, and Wow! Since I"m currently deeply immersed in Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy, this was especially meaningful for me. And Robin Williams.....such brilliance. I'm amazed he didn't win the Oscar for this one, even though he was nominated.

It played at what is called The Movie Museum here, an independently owned/run small theater that has a total of 19 easy-chair recliners. Very comfy, I must admit, and the seating is on tiered rows, so your view isn't blocked (and they require you to recline the seats). Bring your own food & beverage and clean up after yourselves. They play some terrific indie films never making it to the regular movie theaters that seem for the most part to play only the standard popular movies. An oasis, for me!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 15 2014, 7:00pm

Post #11 of 55 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Into The Storm [In reply to] Can't Post

Mindless entertainment that did exactly what it said it would: Thrill with tornadoes. The cast were just a backdrop, really.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Sep 15 2014, 11:43pm

Post #12 of 55 (1020 views)
Shortcut
Binge watch of season 4 walking dead [In reply to] Can't Post

Season 5 October 12

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Wynnie
Rohan

Sep 15 2014, 11:59pm

Post #13 of 55 (1019 views)
Shortcut
I'm still [In reply to] Can't Post

missing Matt Smith. The Amy/Rory/River years have been my favorite since the show was revived. I've never quite warmed to Clara, and am not too sure about the newest incarnation of the Doctor. But will keep watching and see where it goes.

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 12:10am

Post #14 of 55 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Best of the three so far [In reply to] Can't Post

I was very disappointed in the first two, and while I was more than willing to give Capaldi a chance, I just have not warmed up to him yet (forget the fact that I can't understand more than half of what he says, which can't ONLY be his accent and must be somewhat that he hurries through lines like there is no tomorrow!). I was glad to see a little more feeling between Twelve and Clara, but I just don't think that companionship works yet.

I did quite like the looped storyline, I love those time travel loops! And some moments were very scary! So, all in all, liked it.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 2:28am

Post #15 of 55 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Serenity (again) [In reply to] Can't Post

"Where's Wash?"
"He ain't comin'."
Frown

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Kim
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 3:32am

Post #16 of 55 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Now that's more like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very interesting, intriguing and twisty story. Perhaps it caught my interest as I always thought the monsters under the bed were much more scary than the ones in the closet cause all they had to do was reach out and grab your ankle. I'm going to need to watch this one again.

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Kim
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 3:37am

Post #17 of 55 (1004 views)
Shortcut
I'm watching this too - fascinating. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Kerewyn
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 4:19am

Post #18 of 55 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Mine... [In reply to] Can't Post

Boyhood. As a fan of Richard Linklater’s ‘Before…’ movies, I much enjoyed the concept here. Really plays with your head, watching a kid (and Ethan Hawke) grow genuinely older across a two hour period. Went with my Dad, was worrying it was too long for him, but he totally dug it.

20,000 Days on Earth. A must for Nick Cave fans, perpetuating the carefully curated public figure that is Mr Cave.

What We Do in the Shadows - the new film from Flight of the Conchords collaborators Jermaine Clements and Taika Waititi. Fun and completely silly. I found it to be a cross between FotC humour, mixed with an even more earthy/silly/unsophisticated humour, and kind of with the sensibility of PJ’s early “homemade in the weekend around Wellington” films such as Bad Taste. Better seen with a movie crowd, I reckon, who you can titter along with, rather than watching on DVD alone. (not that it’s out on DVD). It’s the kind of silliness that needs company. I can see it wouldn’t be to some peeps’ taste.

And then some Jan Swankmeyer films from the local Czech & Slovak Film Festival - Alice, Conspirators of Pleasure, and Little Otik.

Have finally started The Walking Dead Season 4 - gotta catch up quickly.

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Sep 16 2014, 4:19am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2014, 4:53am

Post #19 of 55 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Ah, you saw the uncool vamps. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that WWDITS is getting huge reviews but I think it's a film that's easy to overhype and have people's expectations raised too high. I loved the film, but that deadpan humour could easily not chime with a viewer.

However, I will strongly say that Jemaine Clement looks hot as a vampire. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 7:06am

Post #20 of 55 (998 views)
Shortcut
It won the people's choice award [In reply to] Can't Post

at the Toronto Film Festival. Cool

Kerewyn
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 7:43am

Post #21 of 55 (994 views)
Shortcut
Know what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

It is getting mixed reviews here - you have to be of the mindset, I think. I know I am the target audience :)
Whereas our ABC reviewers said: "The laughs are few and far between in this would-be satire, the humour is so undergraduate that it's almost an insult to university students to call it that." Lighten up, guys - you just don't get it. (still, it's not for everyone.)

Agree on JC as a vamp. Wink

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 8:20am

Post #22 of 55 (999 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Phenomenal. I've been really unimpressed by the new series, but Listen was spectacular. The best episode since The Waters of Mars for me, an easy 9/10. I can't quite decide if it is my favourite episode of all the new series episodes.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 11:45am

Post #23 of 55 (992 views)
Shortcut
Oh [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 1:13pm

Post #24 of 55 (981 views)
Shortcut
The Waters of Mars... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is NOT one of my favorite episodes. Much too dark and grim. But to each his/her own, of course. Smile

I should have said something about Robots of Sherwood as well (that's what I get for posting in a hurry). I thought the story line was typical of many other Who plot lines, but it had a lot of lovely touches, and I particularly liked Robin's statement about the importance of stories at the end of the episode.

I must say that I've taken to Capaldi faster than to any other new doctor, but then, I've always liked him. I agree with whoever said he's hard to understand, though, never mind that the Gaffer and I are familiar with Scottish accents.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 1:52pm

Post #25 of 55 (988 views)
Shortcut
Little Eruvande [In reply to] Can't Post

wanted me to buy an ad in his school yearbook this year. He never wanted me to in the past. He hates his picture being taken and thinks an ad would be embarrassing.

So I asked him what he wanted the ad to say.

"I'm a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar."
With his picture.

*geeky mama squee!* Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.