Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Another recent, soon to be, trilogy involving a dragon...

jtarkey
Rohan

Sep 15 2014, 1:30am

Post #1 of 18 (1088 views)
Shortcut
Another recent, soon to be, trilogy involving a dragon... Can't Post

I'm not trying to bash The Hobbit here, it just recently occurred to me that this new franchise is everything I wanted The Hobbit to be...

How to Train your Dragon

It has the emotional depth and childlike wonder that I find oddly absent in the Hobbit films thus far. I won't go into any more depth, it just felt like a good example of what I wanted The Hobbit to feel like. The details are obviously different, but the tone of these animated films feels mature, emotional, and playfully. They are such unexpected achievement.

Anyone feel the same? Do you feel The Hobbit reflected the atmosphere of the original story well? I would love to hear thoughts on both sides of the fence!

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 15 2014, 2:13am

Post #2 of 18 (557 views)
Shortcut
Different types of films [In reply to] Can't Post

The HTTYD films are fantastic films. They're easy to get into, well done, and just plain fun. The Hobbit films have been amazing, IMO. They've gone with a bit more serious tone to match the LOTR films thus making them be different. I don't even think the book is the same as the HTTYD films. So for me both have been amazing experiences and I wouldn't change the tone of either.

dubulous
Rohan

Sep 15 2014, 6:47am

Post #3 of 18 (488 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed both HTTYD movies well enough, but thought them both pretty simplistic and not as emotional as they were trying to be. I could see the emotional elements but I didn't really feel them.

For me, it would have been a pretty big disappointment if the Hobbit movies had turned out like that.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 15 2014, 7:09am

Post #4 of 18 (445 views)
Shortcut
I see what you mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and at least the first part of HTTYD I liked very much as well.

However, I always had hoped for this expanded and embellished Hobbit. I am not a big fan of the book's style, to be honest, and am therefore probably far more "forgiving" when it comes to these tonal changes.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 15 2014, 8:07am

Post #5 of 18 (427 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen 'How to train your dragon', so it would be.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. a bit silly for me to make any comment about it, negative or positive. All I've seen are trailers.

But as far as wonder and emotional depth are concerned, I find them in The Hobbit in shedloads. A few things that spring to mind instantly: Bilbo in Rivendell; Thorin and Balin reacting to their first entry to Erebor since the dragon came - 'Far over the Misty Mountains' sung in Bag End - the 'Feast of Starlight' - Beorn and the mouse - Smaug confronting the golden statue - I could go on, and on.... - and over-arching all, the sheer, glorious complexity and visual magic of the design, and the performance of the actors, which in my view no cartoon could ever match.

The Hobbit films aren't exactly like the book. They have picked up on the different tone of the book, particularly in AUJ, but have gone beyond it also with the deeper, darker tone of LotR. I'd say the atmosphere of the original story is there, but it isn't all that's there. A simpler, more childlike adaptation might have been a better reflection of the book but in the context of being made by the film-making team who made the previous trilogy I think that approach would have disappointed a lot of people.

jtarkey
Rohan

Sep 15 2014, 8:08am

Post #6 of 18 (427 views)
Shortcut
I just love the execution [In reply to] Can't Post

In both films, hiccup and toothless are on the same journey but in different ways. Such a great use of irony.

When hiccup Lost his leg, I was astounded by how genius and brave it was for a children's film. Just excellent storytelling that doesn't talk down to kids.

The magic in these films is that I don't think of them as films for kids. Just a great, emotionally rich story that happens to be animated.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

(This post was edited by jtarkey on Sep 15 2014, 8:11am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 15 2014, 11:52am

Post #7 of 18 (363 views)
Shortcut
Frankly, I'm more excited about 'The Dragonriders of Pern' [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dragonriders of Pern was probably the first fantasy/s.f. series that I read that dealt heavily with geopolitics and sociological change. Also, the characters all spoke with naturalistic rhythms that never sounded stilted.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Noria
Gondor

Sep 15 2014, 12:22pm

Post #8 of 18 (353 views)
Shortcut
What Elessar, dubulous, Arannir and dormouse said [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the first HTTYD movie and quite enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun and very well executed, but just a lovely, well done children’s movie as far as I am concerned.

For me the Hobbit movies are much deeper and richer, more emotional and satisfying.

jtarkey, IIRC you prefer The Hobbit novel to the LotR book, do you not? So I can kind of see your liking for HTTYD better than these Hobbit movies.

Interesting that Dragonriders of Pern is being filmed. I read most of that series decades ago and also enjoyed the geopolitical/sociological aspects (which is what I like about SF). Eventually I was put off by the way the novels’ antagonists were usually idiots, as well as a tinge of the bodice-ripper. But in the right hands they could be good movies.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 15 2014, 1:11pm

Post #9 of 18 (336 views)
Shortcut
I think a lot of children's stories include the death or injury to.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a central character. It's something children do think a lot about. Thinking back to the books I really loved at ages, say 7 to 13, death, loss, serious injury was often present as a main or subsidiary theme. Just off the top of my head - The Hobbit, Narnia, The Chronicles of Prydain - even the Green Knowe books. I don't find it particularly surprising that a children's film should pick up on that too.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 15 2014, 1:48pm

Post #10 of 18 (326 views)
Shortcut
I am surely not the only one... [In reply to] Can't Post

... who probably suffered a mild childhood trauma when Bambi's mother was shot?!

Or when Mufasa died...

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 15 2014, 2:49pm

Post #11 of 18 (300 views)
Shortcut
No, you're not... ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 15 2014, 3:33pm

Post #12 of 18 (309 views)
Shortcut
O-s!.... here is a Great link... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.slashfilm.com/dragonriders-of-pern-movie/

Only read the first three...Didn't know there are
22 Books...Wowie!
That will KEEP Bomby Busy
until December, @Least!

thank you for the Reminder...WayCOOL!

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Sep 15 2014, 6:48pm

Post #13 of 18 (256 views)
Shortcut
I like both the Hobbit and the How to Train your Dragon movie series'. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're both different from the books they're based on, but that also makes them interesting. There are still things in the books that I wish had made it to the films, though.

However, I always had hoped for this expanded and embellished Hobbit.

Same here. I like the book, but I also want to know 'the rest of the story'.

Speaking of Pern, I really hope they do a good job, but I'm a little wary after what I've read about previous attempts at adaptations.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 15 2014, 7:19pm

Post #14 of 18 (261 views)
Shortcut
The book was much much better. [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie turned everything into standard Hollywood tropes: the culture is changed into "kill all dragons!", the loving mother is dead, the father is changed from a caring compassionate parent into a neglectful jerk, the kid is left to fend all on his own, his girlfriend is a Xena Viking warrioress...

Wow. How original.

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City:

There's a Great Darkness over the Pelennor,
There's a Great Darkness over the Pelennor!
Our spears’ nowhere as high as an Oliphaunt’s eye,
And the field’s full of orcs, wargs and huge Olog-hai!

Oh what a Rohirrim morning,
Oh what a Rohirrim day!
We've got a wonderful feeling,
We shall kill thousands today!

Oh, we’ll kill us some Easterling Variags,
And know we’re not given to idle brags,
We’ll battle and vanquish the Black Serpent King,
And even an undying dwimmerlaik thing!

Oh what a Rohirrim day!

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 15 2014, 7:35pm

Post #15 of 18 (255 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Author didn't have a problem with it.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 15 2014, 8:07pm

Post #16 of 18 (234 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Bomby... [In reply to] Can't Post

Adapting Dragonriders while keeping true to the subtleties and complexities of the books is going to be very challenging. We'll see if WB is up to the challenge.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 15 2014, 8:10pm

Post #17 of 18 (241 views)
Shortcut
I also understand.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...she didn't have a problem with the ice capades version, the arena spectacular version, the darker and grittier television series version, or the eight or so video game versions.

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City:

There's a Great Darkness over the Pelennor,
There's a Great Darkness over the Pelennor!
Our spears’ nowhere as high as an Oliphaunt’s eye,
And the field’s full of orcs, wargs and huge Olog-hai!

Oh what a Rohirrim day!

Oh, we’ll kill us some Easterling Variags,
And know we’re not given to idle brags,
We’ll battle and vanquish the Black Serpent King,
And even an undying dwimmerlaik thing!

Oh what a Rohirrim day!

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2014, 1:47am

Post #18 of 18 (215 views)
Shortcut
Psst, Bomby... [In reply to] Can't Post

I recommend you read the remaining Pern books in this order: Dragonsong, Dragonsinger: Harper of Pern, Dragondrums, Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern, Nerilka's Story and the Coelura, Dragon's Dawn, and then the rest of them. (Personally I think the quality falls off after Dragon's Dawn.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.