Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Renaissance Faire in New York - this Saturday!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 1 2014, 4:23pm

Post #1 of 24 (3275 views)
Shortcut
Renaissance Faire in New York - this Saturday! Can't Post

It's that time of year again: time for TORnfolks to "invade" the Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo Park, New York : http://www.renfair.com/ny/

Silneldor and I have been in contact with many who have gone in past years. At present, there may be as many as a dozen of us going (including families). (And MistyMountain works there!)

Typically, we meet for breakfast at a diner not too far from the Faire first. (Mushroom omelets, anyone?)

I'm not sure of where some TORnfolks live, so if you are in the area and would like to join with us, let us know!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Glassary
Rivendell

Sep 2 2014, 4:27pm

Post #2 of 24 (3162 views)
Shortcut
Oh no not this weekend! [In reply to] Can't Post

To of the NYC area for 2 weeks so can't make it but would love to. Oh well next year then.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 3 2014, 1:39pm

Post #3 of 24 (3149 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean Sat Sept 6? [In reply to] Can't Post

If so, I'm in. What time and what diner? I know a couple in the area. I live in the Nyack area.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2014, 9:37pm

Post #4 of 24 (3131 views)
Shortcut
Yes, this Saturday! [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll be meeting at the Orange Top Diner on rte. 17 in Tuxedo Park for 8:00 breakfast.

Have you been to this RenFaire before? Or met up with TORnfolks before at other moots?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2014, 9:39pm

Post #5 of 24 (3128 views)
Shortcut
That's too bad! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know the timing hasn't always worked out well for some of us. Unsure

But we do try to make this an annual event! Smile

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 3 2014, 11:46pm

Post #6 of 24 (3134 views)
Shortcut
Been to many Renn Faires [In reply to] Can't Post

Since live only ten miles away. Do I go as Gandalf and put up with being insulted by being called Merlin!! grrrr ;-) or do I wear me kilt? or do I go as someone else? Aragorn. Yep, been to the TORn meetups before the Hobbit films were released.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 3 2014, 11:59pm

Post #7 of 24 (3134 views)
Shortcut
Thunderstorms predicted for Sat 80% /-( [In reply to] Can't Post

For Sloatsburg and Tuxedo NY. Not good! So be ready.

(This post was edited by Timdalf on Sep 3 2014, 11:59pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2014, 2:11am

Post #8 of 24 (3119 views)
Shortcut
Looks like we'll have to keep an eye [In reply to] Can't Post

on the weather...as long as it's not steady rain, we should be okay!

Oh, wow - Gandalf? or Aragorn? or a kilt? (The latter would drive many a TORn-lass bonkers, I know! Laugh) Use you discretion! I think most of the rest of us will be going "tourist".

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 4 2014, 2:11am

Post #9 of 24 (3130 views)
Shortcut
my memories of RenFests... [In reply to] Can't Post

(where I was performing as Morris Dancer) involved those days with drenching rain or the ones in sweltering heat.

I spent one weekend huddled next to bushes like a wet cat. No Where to Get Out of the Rain!

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 2:03am

Post #10 of 24 (3123 views)
Shortcut
Wecome Timdalf! [In reply to] Can't Post

If i can find my dragon/elf ears, from last year, that will be the totality of my get-up, unless some version of TORn shirt can be included...if i can find one being flummoxed with much stuff still from the move.

I believe a poncho or a rain jacket with hood will be in order too. It would be neat to have a surprize addition show up. It would be very cool to have a troop arrive there.

SO, we will met ye all at the diner!

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 5 2014, 7:10pm

Post #11 of 24 (3126 views)
Shortcut
which diner [In reply to] Can't Post

You all sure you want Orange Top Diner? It's a bit of a dive. Just a few yards over the Jersey border on Rt 17 North there is the Stateline Diner. Much nicer... Less than 10 miles from Tuxedo.
www.statelinediner.com/

(This post was edited by Timdalf on Sep 5 2014, 7:21pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2014, 8:48pm

Post #12 of 24 (3106 views)
Shortcut
No substitutions! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the frumpy ol' Orange Top is the "diner of choice", we've been going there for...how many years now? Ten, maybe? But it's a good central location, and they don't mind us taking over the area near the side door. Smile

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 9 2014, 6:43pm

Post #13 of 24 (3156 views)
Shortcut
Well i have a few pictures from that sweltering day. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought dernwyn posted results but not yet. I will just say we did get a few crazy souls to come out in this heat. I believe this is convincingly the hottest yet. I will say also that others wanted to come and we did miss them. May we all (easterners) find another time to find a happy meeting.

I will leave most of the details to d since she did the initial hail for us. Since i got a new camera, pictures came out pretty good. Many candid shots here. Here is a telephoto of the main gate from 50yds away.

These women were amazing regarding skill and endurance for they were ever present throughout the day as we passed through that area.

Here is a juggler that uses kids from the audience in a neat way having them participate. This was a lot of fun with plenty of laughs.

We all stopped repeatedly at the glass blowers pavilion for not only the fascination of demonstration and information but the shade there.

Here is the kiln that was used, quite repeatedly by the glassblower as he worked a piece into existence. Here is a cool/hot shot up close to see the beauty of art in action.

The birds of prey are always is a fascination. Here are the most of us sitting 'under' the 'escape-in and out' door in the shed of the hawk, as we like to do. The facial expressions are a telling sign of sunny humid 90's that kept us company throughout the day. From left to right: Master Wynnie, Mr. Wynnie, Wynnie herself, Timdalf, Ethel Duath, Mrs. sil (looking at door to see hawk emerge) and Smea-girl.

Here is Misty Mountain who was able to join us as we meandered about being her day off.

Here is a kissing love affair that developed, instigated by a lizard salesman there. Look close as Timdalf assumes a new friend. His love of Gandalf made him endure more than us with his wardrobe.

Here is Lossefalme and (most) of her familySmile They arrived a bit late but they arrived. And that was a very good thing.

Here is another group shot, from left to right Mr. Wynnie(with hat, Wynnie, Master Wynnie (with hat, Timdalf (with BIG hat), dernwyn, Mrs. sil, master sil's girlfriend, Master sil (hat and sunglasses). All others, not related.

Here is Master sil and his girlfriend absorbed by the spell of the glassblower.

Here is a (official)'senior citizen' trying to ring the bell on the hammer routine. He tried, did not, but came close, and was still able to get one just inside the 'Captain' area at the top. Son managed to show up the father afterwardsLaugh.

Lastly, since Ethel Duath had such a long ride, we had her over to the house for the night so she could start fresh the next day. And it was a real pleasure to have her company. She is actually the first to visit there due to not having the camp anymore. Much less room at the house.

Here is a parting shot of us in the backyard.

All in all i was grateful to be able once again, visit with many wonderful sibs. It was very good to see everyone againSmile

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Wynnie
Rohan

Sep 10 2014, 12:33am

Post #14 of 24 (3091 views)
Shortcut
What great photos! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing them. I didn't take too many, and most of mine are of the same sights, so I will just post a few (if I can remember how):

serpent lurking in the lake

glassware on display

Andean condor

Gandalf? --no, it's Timdalf!

We had a wonderful time! The rain we were expecting earlier in the day finally caught up with us on the drive home, but that was too late to put a damper on the occasion.

(This post was edited by Wynnie on Sep 10 2014, 12:37am)

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 10 2014, 12:37am

Post #15 of 24 (3084 views)
Shortcut
Great to see your family! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for adding in with your pictures WynnieSmile.

— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 10 2014, 10:24am

Post #16 of 24 (3068 views)
Shortcut
Glad you could join us Timdalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

You had a wonderful costume. Perhaps next year? The Orange Top Diner was not the dive you thought it was, was it?:).
The waitress has been there for many years, and she is fun, and conscientious. I find the ratings with the service found online was soundly inaccurate. But they said the food was good. At least they got that right.

I trust you got home Ok?

— J.R.R. Tolkien

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 10 2014, 11:56am

Post #17 of 24 (3082 views)
Shortcut
Thanks... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but you should see my full Gandy suit!! Someday when it is not so stifling hot! I had much funses with you all, and yes my view of Orange Top is much revised. I hope everyone is going to make it to the LotR Live Concert in April at Lincoln Center. Tickets will soon be gone... So don't delay. Hmmm, I wonder if that green critter has car insurance! ;-)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 10 2014, 1:43pm

Post #18 of 24 (3065 views)
Shortcut
It is great to see you all had so much fun. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for all the photos. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2014, 1:55pm

Post #19 of 24 (3068 views)
Shortcut
fantastic! Thanks for the report and pics. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe you couldn't hit that bell with all the wood chopping you've been doing.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 10 2014, 2:28pm

Post #20 of 24 (3067 views)
Shortcut
it seems we picked the wrong weekend... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Renn Faire this coming weekend is about:

This would have been closer to Tolkien's interests than 18th and 17th c. pirates (the Black Fleet of Pelargir notwithstanding!)

Weekend 7, September 13 & 14, 2014
Barbarian Weekend
Kubb Tourney
(14 & Over) Enjoy this lawn game of yesteryear wherein you must knock down the oncoming invaders! Don’t know how to play? That’s ok! Rules will be taught!
Times: 11am, 1pm, 4pm

Barbarian Costume Contest
Get in touch with your inner Viking and be awarded for the most frightful, most authentic, and most original barbarian costumes! Join us for our Barbarian Costume Contest!
Children Contest: 12:15pm
Adult Contest: 4pm

Viking Trivia
Do you know everything about Viking Culture and Mythology? Would you like to? Test your Viking knowledge in our Norse Trivia Game! Form teams and submit your answers to compete against Skaldvik’s own Skald!
Time: 3pm

Viking Scavenjer Hunt!
(13 & Under) The Vikings are looking for a few good scouts. Scour the lands of Sterling Shire using clues to find the best treasures. Write down the answers to the clues and report back to HeathenHearth!

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 10 2014, 5:55pm

Post #21 of 24 (3056 views)
Shortcut
Welllllllllllllllll, [In reply to] Can't Post

It were oily afternoon and the damsel said i hit it the furtherest yetTongue...until son bestest me. ....I used ta hit it. It takes a lot 'abominable' mus-cles. Time to UP my crunches....restart my crunches.Blush

— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 10 2014, 11:07pm

Post #22 of 24 (3077 views)
Shortcut
How come you didn't show up Daniel? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now don't say your pregnant or nothin'.

— J.R.R. Tolkien

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 12 2014, 5:55pm

Post #23 of 24 (3055 views)
Shortcut
Another reason to go to back to Renn Faire this weekend... [In reply to] Can't Post

You thrilled to their exploits during The Quest challenges (iwth minimal backstabbing!)

http://www.renfair.com/ny/whats_new/index.asp

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=cbd99bb4-5bcd-4b8e-ab19-70ae2f5e3700&c=49eead90-3370-11e4-9072-d4ae529a8612&ch=49f60090-3370-11e4-9072-d4ae529a8612

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2014, 10:28pm

Post #24 of 24 (3063 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed it! I was going to drive up this year from Maryland. We had our own party going on - the 200th anniversary of the writing of the Star-Spangled Banner here in Baltimore. So cool. And we'll be going to our Maryland Renaissance Festival at the beginning of October.

But next year guys, next year I wanna come!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.