Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The correct way to use the word "family" in Dwarf Runes

Gruntbuddy

Sep 14 2014, 4:19pm

Post #1 of 6 (1932 views)
Shortcut
The correct way to use the word "family" in Dwarf Runes Can't Post

Greetings everyone! Sorry if I posted this on the wrong topic.

In celebration of the final Hobbit film and my love for LOTR I want to get the word "family" tattooed on my arm in Dwarf Runes. My only problem is finding the correct Runes because my fear is to one day find out I mistranslated my tattoo.

I also was not to sure if I should translate the Runes into English or Khuzdul/Neo-Khuzdul. Thank you for your help and time!

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 17 2014, 2:01pm

Post #2 of 6 (1832 views)
Shortcut
Runes in the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some web pages that might help you (links below). The Tolkien Gateway and Heirs of Durin have rune information and links. Also, Tolkien used different rune systems in the Hobbit and LOTR; In The Hobbit he used a real, historical rune alphabet - the Anglo Saxon futhark, and just transliterated the letters into the English language. In the Lord of the Rings, he created a new rune system and the history and languages to go with it, so you have to decide which system you want to use. That's about all the help I can give you, I'm afraid. Transliterating the Anglo Saxon futhark runes into the equivalent English letter sounds would be pretty easy, but if you want the Khuzdul language I'm afraid I'm lost.

Another interesting aspect of runes is that each rune by itself has a meaning, so in the Elder futhark (the one I've been trying to learn) the 'wunjo' rune by itself means "joy" specifically in the sense of being part of a family or community, so just using that rune by itself conveys a lot of meaning related to the idea of family.

Anyway, good luck with your tattoo, and if you get interested in runes there are some very interesting books on the market. It's a little confusing because there are several historical rune alphabets, some of the written records were "Christianized" during the Middle Ages, and different modern authors interpret things differently, but it's still a very fascinating subject. I've just finished embroidering my first set of runic staves (my own interpretation of the traditional carved wooden staves) and it's a lot of fun, so enjoy your rune quest.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Rune

http://thorinoakenshield.net/...-unexpected-journey/

Smile

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Gruntbuddy

Nov 5 2014, 8:29pm

Post #3 of 6 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Rune tattoo [In reply to] Can't Post

Very late reply but ive been thinking about the tattoo and I decided to use basic anglo saxon version of the runes for easy translation. I decided to use either the word "family" or "kinship" and so far im drawing more towards "kinship". What are your thoughts on using that word? I made this image and just used a translator online and im worried the ruins might not be all correct. Can you check these and let me know if I translated these correctly? thank you!
Attachments: family-02.png (12.0 KB)

Gruntbuddy

Nov 5 2014, 9:01pm

Post #4 of 6 (1742 views)
Shortcut
The correct way to use the word "kinship" in Dwarf Runes [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried using different fonts and comparing it to the chart that's on http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Rune
and I like this cleaner look however the "k" and "p" rune are slightly different and I'm confused as to why it's like that. I attached a picture of that one as well. Anyone know why this is?
Attachments: kinship rune-01.png (2.83 KB)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 6 2014, 1:07am

Post #5 of 6 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Rune variants [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as the differences in the 'k' and 'p' runes that you are noticing, I think that these are just variations in how the runes were written in different geographic locations. I'm looking at Edred Thorsson's "Runelore" book, and his charts at the back of the book for each of the major rune alphabets have columns next to each rune that show variations in how each rune was written. Sometimes the variations are tiny, but other times they are so different that they look like completely different runes to me, which I think is pretty confusing.

And about your earlier post, the rune translator you used seems to match the lists that I'm looking at. I wish I could be more help, but I'm definitely just an amateur beginner who has looked through just enough stuff to realize that runes are way more complicated than I ever imagined. Good luck with figuring out your tattoo, though. It would be great if you would post an image of it sometime when it's all done. I'm sure there are lots of people here on TORN who would love to see it.

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

Gruntbuddy

Nov 6 2014, 2:05am

Post #6 of 6 (1723 views)
Shortcut
The correct way to use the word "kinship" in Dwarf Runes part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the reply Elarie! I came to the decision to use the first one as it matches the original Tolkien map from The Hobbit book. I will defiantly post the tattoo once its done as well Smile ! thanks again for all the help!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.