First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Valinor

Sep 12 2014, 12:04pm

Post #1 of 104 (1693 views)
Shortcut
CHOW Party Thread #6: Quizzes, Pt. 2 Can't Post

More quizzes!

Watch for Riven Delve’s posts daily, with three rounds coming over the next three days.

footer_bilbo photo footer_bilbo_zps5f194312.jpg

Come party right now in the Hobbit movie forum, as we celebrate one year's worth of CHOW discussion of the films. Hope to see you there!

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:47pm

Post #2 of 104 (1372 views)
Shortcut
The "Name That Dwarf" Quiz! [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s like the old Name That Tune TV game show in which contestants try to guess a tune in the fewest number of notes…only you guess which Dwarf is speaking, in the fewest number of lines!

Can you name that Dwarf in one line? Or two? Three?

Instructions: There will be two sections to our game, one for An Unexpected Journey and one for The Desolation of Smaug. I will give one quote (or line) each from six mystery Dwarves (per movie, for a total of twelve Dwarves) in Round 1. Can you guess who it is from that one quote? If not, there are two more rounds to go.

You get only one guess per mystery Dwarf, so choose wisely when you will chime in with your answer. If you think you know in Round 1 but aren’t sure, it might be best to wait to post your guess until Round 2 (Saturday), when I will give another quote for each Dwarf. If you want to be safe, you can wait for the Round 3 quote on Sunday…but you won’t get as many points then if you guess the correct Dwarf! (3 points for Round 1 correct answer, 2 points for Round 2 correct answer, 1 point for Round 3 correct answer, 0 points for incorrect answer or no guess.) The clues for Rounds 2 and 3 will be in the body of my post, so that anyone who joins a little late won’t be spoiled if they think they know after only one round. (The honor system applies, of course!)

Put your answers in the body of your post, please, rather than the subject line, so as not to give away your guess to others. Please note that one or more Dwarves used in the AUJ section may also appear in the DOS section. Correct answers and points tallies will be announced at the end of Round 3. Quotes are taken from subtitles in the English version of the DVDs.

Here’s an example from DOS for Dwarf X:

Round 1: “I can manage.”
(You: Hmm. Tricky. There’s no context for clues. I better wait for another line…)

Round 2: “They were trading in silverwork for furs.”
(You: That sounds so familiar, but it was kind of said in the background or something, wasn’t it? Maybe when Balin was talking to Bard…? Still not sure.)

Round 3: “It was just a dream.”
(You: Aagh! I should have known! I’m totally posting “Kili” [in the body of my post]!)

OK, ready? Let’s go!

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:50pm

Post #3 of 104 (1324 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (A)—Round 1 (AUJ): “I wouldn’t bother, laddie.” // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:50pm

Post #4 of 104 (1312 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (B)—Round 1 (AUJ): “We had sixteen.” // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:52pm

Post #5 of 104 (1305 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (C)—Round 1 (AUJ): “It’s riddled with mold.” // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:53pm

Post #6 of 104 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (D)—Round 1 (AUJ): “Who you calling dim?” // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:54pm

Post #7 of 104 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (E)—Round 1 (AUJ): “Come on, Nori—pay up!” // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:54pm

Post #8 of 104 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (F)—Round 1 (AUJ): “What should I do with my plate?” // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:55pm

Post #9 of 104 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (G)—Round 1 (DOS): “Bless my beard!” // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:56pm

Post #10 of 104 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (H)—Round 1 (DOS): “I say we double back.” // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:57pm

Post #11 of 104 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (I)—Round 1 (DOS): “What hour is it?” // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:58pm

Post #12 of 104 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (J)—Round 1 (DOS): “Have the Wargs picked up our scent?” // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:58pm

Post #13 of 104 (1299 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (K)—Round 1 (DOS): “There’s Dwarves in these woods.” // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 2:59pm

Post #14 of 104 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf (L)—Round 1 (DOS): “Then this quest has been for nothing.” // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 12 2014, 3:52pm

Post #15 of 104 (1305 views)
Shortcut
Round 1 (AUJ) [In reply to] Can't Post

A - Balin
B - Kili
C - Dwalin
D - ?
E - Oin
F - Ori

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 12 2014, 3:53pm

Post #16 of 104 (1304 views)
Shortcut
Round 1 (DOS) [In reply to] Can't Post

G - ?
H - Bofur
I - ?
J - Dwalin
K - Dori
L - Fili

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 5:35pm

Post #17 of 104 (1287 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for leading the way, BlackFox! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will tell you a little secret... I made the first round extra hard because I knew you'd be playing and I had to have a challenge for you. Angelic

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 12 2014, 5:50pm

Post #18 of 104 (1287 views)
Shortcut
I'm flattered [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, you succeeded. Mine, on the other hand, was a piece of cake for you. SmileTongue

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 5:58pm

Post #19 of 104 (1283 views)
Shortcut
That was just a little revenge [In reply to] Can't Post

for not getting that Thorin's hair quiz we were almost certainly promised. Wink Evil Laugh

Noria
Gondor

Sep 12 2014, 6:00pm

Post #20 of 104 (1284 views)
Shortcut
AUJ Round 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarf (A): “I wouldn’t bother, laddie.”
-Balin

Dwarf (B): “We had sixteen.”
?

Dwarf (C): “It’s riddled with mold.”
-Dwalin

Dwarf (D): “Who you calling dim?”
-Nori

Dwarf (E): “Come on, Nori—pay up!”
?

Dwarf (F): “What should I do with my plate?”
-Ori

Noria
Gondor

Sep 12 2014, 6:02pm

Post #21 of 104 (1291 views)
Shortcut
DOS Round 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarf (G): “Bless my beard!”
Bofur

Dwarf (H): “I say we double back.”
?

Dwarf (I): “What hour is it?”
Thorin

Dwarf (J): “Have the Wargs picked up our scent?”
?

Dwarf (K): “There’s Dwarves in these woods.
Dori

Dwarf (L): “Then this quest has been for nothing.”
?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 12 2014, 6:07pm

Post #22 of 104 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well played. Tongue

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Sep 12 2014, 6:08pm)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 6:07pm

Post #23 of 104 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for playing, Noria! [In reply to] Can't Post

*busily tallies Round 1 scores* Smile

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 6:13pm

Post #24 of 104 (1284 views)
Shortcut
I knows! [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 6:14pm

Post #25 of 104 (1281 views)
Shortcut
I knows this too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.