Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What do your family and friends think of the time you spend on TORn?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What do your family and friends think of the time you spend on TORn?
They totally support my geekdom and even encourage it!
They tolerate my geekdom, but don't encourage it.
They have no clue about my geekdom.
They roll their eyes a lot, and pat me on the head.
Hey, TORn *is* my family and friends!
View Results (60 votes)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 6 2007, 5:39pm

Post #1 of 34 (2313 views)
Shortcut
What do your family and friends think of the time you spend on TORn? Can't Post

I'd have to go with the second option. They know I'm a geek, but try not to encourage it too much, or I'm liable to go into the geneology of various hobbits or elves.

What about you?

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 6 2007, 9:46pm

Post #2 of 34 (1840 views)
Shortcut
It's tolerated, but not always "well." [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Losse generally understands that this is just something I have to do, but it doesn't always thrill him. He just can't get over how geeky I can really be, even after 22 years. I admit it can be a little frightening for the uninitiated, but that's okay with me.

Some of my extended family might fall into the "pat my head" category. They just think I'm a little off and leave it at that. It doesn't seem to be hurting anyone so they let me have my "TORn World."

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 6 2007, 11:08pm

Post #3 of 34 (1828 views)
Shortcut
They know about it [In reply to] Can't Post

They totally don't get it, and in fact there are still moments of blank terror on my sister's face when I say something about meeting up with people I've met *gasp* online. (Though now she's met dernwyn & daughter, she has a better feel for the surprising lack of axe murderers around here.) The general feeling from that quarter is still vaguely disapproving, but then that may be my perception of what Other AE said: a desire not to encourage an unhealthy level of fascination with LotR. Silly people.

My trip to Ro & NZ's wedding - particularly when Lottie forgot to tell me my mother called, which meant I didn't call my mother till I was waiting for the plane home, two days later - took a few years off a couple of lives. Oops.

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2007, 5:32am

Post #4 of 34 (1797 views)
Shortcut
There's no patting of the head... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but there's definitely eye-rolling and some other verbal responses which are not fit for a family board.

Radhruin
Rohan

Mar 7 2007, 7:41am

Post #5 of 34 (1812 views)
Shortcut
Ah....support. [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing as my four siblings are the ones that introduced me to Tolkien, and that we convinced our mom to read LOTR when I was in high school, before we would even have dreamed of a PJ extravaganza, I'd say that I'm fairly well supported! So, yes, there are many "geeks" around me. I have vague memories of my brother's friend wearing a
"Hobbit" t-shirt when I was quite small. Would have been around '82-'83 or so. Anyway, number one for me, as far as the poll goes.

Elfmei
The Shire

Mar 7 2007, 8:22am

Post #6 of 34 (1801 views)
Shortcut
They Have NO CLUE at all.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Only my younger sister could understand a little.
But whenever she saw me sinking in the world of TORn, all I heard was "GEEK...."

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2007, 3:30pm

Post #7 of 34 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Once again, one answer isn't enough [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband is usually behind me reading over my shoulder when I am on TORN. My children and my sister and her family just accept that I am strange and let it go at that. After all, my children have had all their lives with me being like this, and since our parents died and it is just the two of us, I would have to be A LOT stranger before my sister would comment.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 7 2007, 3:41pm

Post #8 of 34 (1798 views)
Shortcut
like you [In reply to] Can't Post

My dad has read LOTR twice and liked the movies a lot, but my mother couldn't get past the second chapter and only saw the movies because everyone else was and she figured she'd better. My younger brother is almost as much of a LOTR geek as me, as is one niece. Everyone else is polite but changes the subject as soon as they can. Although my sister-in-law has bought me most of HOME over the years as Christmas presents.

Elfmei
The Shire

Mar 7 2007, 3:50pm

Post #9 of 34 (1761 views)
Shortcut
I only have younger sister with me... [In reply to] Can't Post

My father only loves the movie but did not have neought patient to finish the book...

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2007, 5:58pm

Post #10 of 34 (1824 views)
Shortcut
It varies! [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband totally gets the message board thing. He hangs out at The Miniatures Page (TMP for short), an online forum for miniature wargaming and military history. We often trade TMP and TORN stories. The funny thing is that he's also a Tolkien fan and I'm also interested in gaming and history, so we could have easily ended up at the other's forum.

My kids don't really pay attention to my online activities. I may introduce my older son to TORN, though. I think he'd like it.

My parents have no idea that such things as message boards exist, but they're not big computer users.

My siblings' attitudes vary from understanding to amused tolerance.

Most of my friends are message board users themselves and understand their appeal.

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Mar 7 2007, 7:55pm

Post #11 of 34 (1796 views)
Shortcut
both option 1 and 5, but 1 is my vote.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, my father doesnt understand the TORN site and nor does my mom...but they understand my need to share all things Tolkien with fellow 'sibs.

-e_H-

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 7 2007, 7:58pm

Post #12 of 34 (1748 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they have their sites, and I have mine, so we don't bug each other about it.

Morrowdim
Rivendell

Mar 7 2007, 11:50pm

Post #13 of 34 (1793 views)
Shortcut
I'm one of the lucky ones. [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband isn't big on LOTR, but he is a Trekkie so he understands. My kids fully support me and often read over my shoulder. Only one of my brothers is as big on LOTR as I am, but the other 2 have their own obsessions. In the end, we all support each other.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 8 2007, 2:19am

Post #14 of 34 (1792 views)
Shortcut
Axe murderers? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why, whatever would give her that idea...Bwahaha!

("Alter-Ego" by Anjylle - yep, my other daughter! Some days I feel like this...)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2007, 3:21am

Post #15 of 34 (1775 views)
Shortcut
My brother offered to do background checks [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first started going "walkabout" to meet Ringers off the net.

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 8 2007, 6:10am

Post #16 of 34 (1786 views)
Shortcut
What a great poll! [In reply to] Can't Post

My dear hubby is fairly supportive of the time I spend here. Wink (and vice versa).

As for the rest of my family, I think the turning point between stark horror and (remarkably) total acceptance was when I started bringing pictures back of 'real' people standing on stage holding 'real' Oscars; pictures of myself and 'real' scholars at 'real' conventions and 'real' people celebrating the union of two people who met online, and whom I wouldn't even have known myself if it weren't for TORn.

The subject is a bit more difficult to breach in professional settings, but I'm as honest as I can be without making their eyes glaze over either from unfamiliarity with the internet or unfamiliarity with LOTR.

Thanks for the great poll, Alassea! Smile

Penthe
Gondor

Mar 8 2007, 9:41am

Post #17 of 34 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Well, if they come around here they might die of boredom./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 8 2007, 4:41pm

Post #18 of 34 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Well, he'd *better* be supportive! [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherwise, he might not even be here! Laugh

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 8 2007, 8:32pm

Post #19 of 34 (1728 views)
Shortcut
Ack! [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have said sword-wielders!

She is gooood. I miss the work that was on the laptop!

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 9 2007, 11:18am

Post #20 of 34 (1784 views)
Shortcut
I said that in the passport control [In reply to] Can't Post

in Amsterdam before going to the US. Not quite sure if "I'm meeting people that I've met online" is what they want to hear. Then they demanded to see phone numbers and adresses. I ended up showing him the once I had from UK people since I had written the US ones down with TORN nicknames. They didn't notice the difference anyway.

Joelle
Bree

Mar 9 2007, 10:42pm

Post #21 of 34 (1729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Family- I've caught my dad telling *his* friends how cool the TORn folks are. =)

Friends- It's just a subject I try to avoid, with the exception of a couple of my friends, but for the most part, I don't say anything.

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Mar 10 2007, 8:02pm

Post #22 of 34 (1723 views)
Shortcut
If there was a LOTR detox program that is where [In reply to] Can't Post

they would send me. Since I joined the board a few weeks ago I have been on the computer far more than normal since I am exploring the site and trying to get to know some people and am being driven by the fact this is the first time in 5 years that I can actually relate to others who share my passion.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Mar 10 2007, 11:48pm

Post #23 of 34 (1735 views)
Shortcut
much eye rolling from my family... [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of my friends (apart from my TORnsibs friends, obviously!) tolerate my obsession and are vaguely amused by it. My family are OK with it but think it's a bit crazy. I think my Mum has probably worried a bit about me going off to meet folks I don't know, but hey, L.Ron and I went to NZ together and they were OK with that! My Mum's bigger concern is that anyone I meet who ISN'T from TORn will take an instant dislike to me for my wackiness; or worse still, that they'll like me but then run screaming into the night when they see all the standees in my apartment. But I say, love me, love my obsession! And maybe one day I'll find a man who does.. Wink

Oh, I think my Mum also worries that I spend way too much money on LotR - but given that I'm *quite* good at snaggy freebies I can pretend that I've spent less than I actually have... Just as well my parents will never know the real sum I've spent on merchandise... Actually, I wouldn't want to know either!! Crazy

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2007, 2:36am

Post #24 of 34 (1756 views)
Shortcut
I found that the quickest way to bring silence [In reply to] Can't Post

at a gathering of friends was to mention LOTR or the (at that time) upcoming movies. I just don't mention LOTR around them anymore.

Family know that I'm a LOTR fan but they're not interested in details, so they don't know about TORN or Wellingmoot - although they did know that I went to LA for the third Oscar party. For them it's an interest that is neither here nor there.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2007, 5:58pm

Post #25 of 34 (1791 views)
Shortcut
I'm tolerated [In reply to] Can't Post

but seldom encouraged, by my family. My daughter is the only one who will go out of her way to let me know something she thinks I'd be interested in. She has picked up a few things for me at yard sales, for example. And always gets me an LOTR calendar at Christmas. My sister understands the message board part, sort of, because she belongs to some as well. Fortunately, I know several people who are just as interested as I am, so that helps!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.