DOS: I See Fire credits song - different version

m.summers343
Bree

Sep 12 2014, 2:05am

Post #1 of 17 (1005 views)
Shortcut
DOS: I See Fire credits song - different version Can't Post

Here is a different version of the DOS credits song 'I See Fire.'

This cover is by Alice Olivia. I actually prefer this version. It sounds more like a suitable Middle Earth credits song. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9jc1_Fd_bw

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 12 2014, 3:00am

Post #2 of 17 (576 views)
Shortcut
Ehhh [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds way too poppy and Billboard Hot 100-esque for my tastes. Definitely prefer Sheeran's version, mainly because I've listened to it a million times and it has to be my favorite Middle-earth end credits song. I think his sounds more "Middle-earthy" than this one which, again, sounds more like something Rianna (sp?) would put out.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 12 2014, 3:13am

Post #3 of 17 (564 views)
Shortcut
She has a beautiful voice... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but it's very "American Idol" for my taste :)

I do prefer Ed Sheeran's version. It feels raw without trying to be dramatic.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Gandy
Bree

Sep 12 2014, 5:26am

Post #4 of 17 (555 views)
Shortcut
bad [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't believe it would be possible with any music coming from these Middle Earth movies. Shore had nothing to do with that bizarre choice of song so I'm relieved he still maintains his dignity. I See Fire is the musical low point of all 5 films, probably all 6 unless they really lose their minds for Battle5. It shocks viewers right out of Middle Earth and into American Idol pop nausea. All emotion of the story is killed by pop.
Until I make my own edited version, I have to be ready with remote in hand to stop the movie in those extremely brief 2 seconds of silence before the audio vomit blasts my mind off of Smaug, Bilbo, Gandalf, Dwarves, and all emotional investment in the experience. Truly horrific decision.
I hope the final movie is all Shore for the credits. And please, let the Dwarrowdelf/Moria theme from FOTR be strongly expanded and dominant as a general dwarf theme. It has so much heroism and sorrow, so perfect for the climax.
That's all Smile

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2014, 6:15am

Post #5 of 17 (507 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's necessarily bad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know this song has divided fans more than any other. But for me it's not poppy enough to take me out of the movie. It's more poppy than I would have liked it to be, but I really enjoy the lyrics and the overall feel of it. I think it could have been truly great if someone had stepped in and had him tone down the poppyness, particularly towards the end.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Sep 12 2014, 6:16am)

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Sep 12 2014, 7:24am

Post #6 of 17 (488 views)
Shortcut
I strongly advise you listen to the Kygo remix. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's stunningly beautiful.

Olessan
Bree

Sep 12 2014, 10:26am

Post #7 of 17 (450 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

You come across as very whiny. The choices for all the films so far have been excellent, and just because you have a grudge against a semi-popular artist doesn't make the choice bad. The track is not 'pop'. The vast majority prefer the track to any other choice, as it fits the theme and tone of the ending.
Do not trash a song just because it's distasteful to your ears. I personally like Gollum's Song but can't stand certain sounds so I skip it every time.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 12 2014, 10:46am

Post #8 of 17 (444 views)
Shortcut
Er.... no [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, not my taste at all, and not in keeping with any of the other Middle Earth music. She can't even pronounce Durin.

I like the song very much the way Ed Sheeran sings it but this is just a.n.other pop song. There's no feeling there - she doesn't seem to have an idea what she's singing about, and given the subject matter it seems to me it's better for a man to sing this anyway. Ed Sheeran best of all, because the words are his, so he's better placed than anyone else to understand what he meant.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 12 2014, 11:11am

Post #9 of 17 (456 views)
Shortcut
Ed Sheeran's voice is crucial for the song as a ME-song. [In reply to] Can't Post

His way of singing it makes the song appropriate for a Middle-earth movie. Great feeling and epic in a totally non-pompous way.

There are covers though which also capture that feeling (Peter Hollens)... this one, however, fails to deliver this deepness and richness.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 12 2014, 11:11am)

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 12 2014, 11:17am

Post #10 of 17 (456 views)
Shortcut
Just listened to Ed's, coincidentally... [In reply to] Can't Post

It just feels right. Smile

Congrats on Valinor, btw!

(And if dormouse sees this: Beyond the Forest continues to stun me with its beauty. One of my favorites, and yours as well, if I remember correctly.)

footer_bilbo photo footer_bilbo_zps5f194312.jpg

Come party right now in the Hobbit movie forum, as we celebrate one year's worth of CHOW discussion of the films. Hope to see you there!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 12 2014, 11:19am)

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 12 2014, 11:28am

Post #11 of 17 (422 views)
Shortcut
Valinor [In reply to] Can't Post

Did not even realize. I guess I will make a small coffee break from work and listen to "I See Fire" during it to celebrate Smile

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 12 2014, 11:37am

Post #12 of 17 (396 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

footer_bilbo photo footer_bilbo_zps5f194312.jpg

Come party right now in the Hobbit movie forum, as we celebrate one year's worth of CHOW discussion of the films. Hope to see you there!

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 12 2014, 1:54pm

Post #13 of 17 (380 views)
Shortcut
You do... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and it is. Absolutely elvish - what more can I say! Smile

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Sep 13 2014, 1:04am

Post #14 of 17 (343 views)
Shortcut
Fairly terrible. [In reply to] Can't Post

Full of the hackneyed vocal cliches that almost every pop idol (or similar) contestant sticks in to hide a lack of talent or originality. Sheeran's version wasn't as bad, but was still rooted in the modern transatlantic singing style. It's not a bad song - but I've yet to hear it sung straight. Plenty of musicians around these parts don't feel the need to nod towards America when they sing - the Scottish folk tradition has its own identity and the singing style would fit much better with these films. The AUJ theme had the same issues - a good song (which was sung appropriately straight by the cast in the film) was given a contemporary twist for the end credits and slightly ruined the mood at the end of the film. Annie Lennox's modern transatlantic style had the same effect on me in ROTK - just too identifiably modern.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 13 2014, 1:24am

Post #15 of 17 (322 views)
Shortcut
.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Except that was kind of a deliberate attempt to get across the Idea of the fading of the Elder Days..

Sheeran's song was just some young guy noodling on a guitar..

Bumpypotato
Bree

Sep 13 2014, 5:03pm

Post #16 of 17 (284 views)
Shortcut
Noap. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really not a fan. She's a talented singer, no doubt, but it felt too American idol to me, and certainly not very Middle Earth. I See Fire may be the odd one out of the end credit songs, but for me it still felt like it belonged in the world. This version, not so much, and the natural feel of the production and Sheeran's voice, it seemed little more than a vaguely folky pop song.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2014, 5:41pm

Post #17 of 17 (309 views)
Shortcut
Not at all a fan of the Ed Sheeran song, [In reply to] Can't Post

and this version is worse than the original. Neither version works.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.