The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** NEW GAME : "How many...."

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 24 2008, 8:23pm

Post #1 of 15 (682 views)
Shortcut
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** NEW GAME : "How many...." Can't Post

1. How many cawing birds are perched on the scarecrow as Sam and Frodo leave the Shire?

2. How many sets of double-doors are there in Saruman's throne room in the Tower of Orthanc?

3. How many sides does the deep well in Balin's tomb have?

4. How many abreast does the column of warrior Elves march into Helm's Deep?

5. How many sections was the green space in the courtyard of Minas Tirith divided into?

6. How many arrows does Legolas use to bring down the Mūmakil?

Bonus task: write a Middle-earth "How many" joke

How many __________ does it take to __________?

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 24 2008, 9:38pm

Post #2 of 15 (548 views)
Shortcut
Oh, dear... [In reply to] Can't Post

Math was never my strong suit. I will probably undo my "6" score from last week on this one!

1. How many cawing birds are perched on the scarecrow as Sam and Frodo leave the Shire?

Three cawing birds? You know, from the 12 days of Hobbit Christmas song? The one that ends with "and One Ring to Ru--uuu-ll--e them all..."

2. How many sets of double-doors are there in Saruman's throne room in the Tower of Orthanc?

Uh, how about four -- North, East, South and West

Six?

Uh, four? And since they were guy elves, they probably enjoyed walking into something abreast...

5. How many sections was the green space in the courtyard of Minas Tirith divided into?

Uh, two? With the tree in the middle?

I think he only uses one on the poor beast's head -- but he uses a bunch to take out all the bad guys riding on it. So my final answer is one-and-a-bunch.

Ok, here's my attempt:
How many orcs does it take to change a lightbulb?

None...they were all happy being dim...

Weaver

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2008, 1:36am

Post #3 of 15 (537 views)
Shortcut
the impossible quiz... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. three (that might be the only answer that i know for sure- I always for some reason remember one one the head, two on the shoulders)
2. four or five....four.
3. a lot, it looks almost round...is it an octagon (8)?
4. 4 (haha, very mature, weaver)
5. either two or four....4 again, i think
6. can i ignore all the people he shoots on the way up? He shoots three into the mumakil's head, but i dont remember him shooting anything else, so i'll go with three

Bonus task....*staring blankly at screen...*

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 25 2008, 4:05am

Post #4 of 15 (507 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bonus task....*staring blankly at screen...*

yeah, me too. I could never make up a joke.

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 25 2008, 11:31am

Post #5 of 15 (507 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

How many cawing birds are perched on the scarecrow as Sam and Frodo leave the Shire?
Four cawing birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a Crebain from Dunland Next the Sea

How many sets of double-doors are there in Saruman's throne room in the Tower of Orthanc?
4, plus a louvre door to the porch, and a lovely French window.

How many sides does the deep well in Balin's tomb have?
None, cos it’s round and a circle doesn’t have ‘sides’

How many abreast does the column of warrior Elves march into Helm's Deep?
Two, until Arwen was cut out of the scene… Although Haldir was a little chunky, they didn’t yet count as manboobs.

How many sections was the green space in the courtyard of Minas Tirith divided into?
Four… One section for the Guard of Denthor, one section for the descendants of Numenor, one section for the healers, and a fenced off corner for the weirdos with the pigeon wings on their hats.

How many arrows does Legolas use to bring down the Mūmakil?
None, just one well-aimed barb about her fat ankles...

Q: How many Dunedain does it take to take to change a lightbulb?

Q: Tall ships and tall kings
Three times three
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing Sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
And one energy saving lightbulb.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 25 2008, 7:03pm

Post #6 of 15 (524 views)
Shortcut
Yoiks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will totally guess three.

I will totally guess two.

Two: the inside and the outside.

Aha! I think I might actually know! *hedges, unsure now* Um, four?

I'll say seven, for the seven stars and all that.

I'm totally guessing three.

How many Dwarves does it take to change a light bulb?
Never mind, they'll drink in the dark.

How many Tornsibs does it take to change a light bulb?
Eleven. An admin to change the bulb, nine forum members to post "Mods up!!!", and a newbie to post a message asking for the intructions on how to view a lightbulb.

How many Tolkien purists does it take to change a lightbulb?
Three. One to change it and two to argue whether the change was in the spirit of the original.

How many TORn First Agers does it take to change a light bulb?
Three. One to change it and two to write the nostalgic mathom for the first one.

'Cause I love y'all! HeartHeart

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2008, 8:10pm

Post #7 of 15 (497 views)
Shortcut
My go [In reply to] Can't Post

Three -- does anyone know if or how many are real, or amniotronic? (is that the right word?)

Four. Which is two too many, IMHO -- the time it takes to slam all four could have given us the gift-giving the TE. Maybe.

I've always thought it was round, or as round as stone can be -- there's the outside, the top, and the inside, if you want to get picky.

Four. (Didn't we already have this question once?)

Four. With the White Tree in the middle. There's probably a mathematical name for this pie divided into quarters, but I don't know it.

Well, he certainly fired a lot of arrows while he was up there, but I think the shot that brings it down was three on one string, i.e. together.

Sorry, don't have any jokes today.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 26 2008, 10:01am

Post #8 of 15 (492 views)
Shortcut
Haaaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent joking prowess!!! WinkLaugh

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 26 2008, 11:00pm

Post #9 of 15 (482 views)
Shortcut
Feint by numbers [In reply to] Can't Post

None. They're all silent.

Five. One left, one right, one forward, one back, and the one through which Gandalf landed on the roof.

Two. Inside and outside.

Who was counting? Wink

Only nine. Denethor did not have room for a full-sized golf course.

The real question is: where in Middle-earth do those arrows keep coming from? A quiver is only so big!

Bonus task: write a Middle-earth "How many" joke:

How many Ents does it take to change a light bulb? One - but he does it verrry, verrry, verrry, sloooooowly....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 26 2008, 11:04pm

Post #10 of 15 (476 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Excellent! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 26 2008, 11:05pm

Post #11 of 15 (481 views)
Shortcut
*groan*! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2008, 6:46am

Post #12 of 15 (489 views)
Shortcut
BWAH?! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. People... pay attention?! Let's say three. Three is a nice number. There were three rings for elves, three races given rings, three hunters, three people trekking to Mordor... three is an excellent number.

2. I think 6. Maybe 5. You know what, I'll go with 5.

3. ....1? It's, you know, round...I'm almost certain it's round.

4. *blink* I was wayyy too busy listening to the music to pay attention... 4?

5. Hah! This one I know, because I built a 3-D model of the Citadel. According to the 3-D model, 4 large pieces, and then a very, very small plot of green right by the fountain (which may or may not count, you take your pick.)

6. I think three again.

How many people does it take to destroy a Ring?
Three: One to carry it the whole way, one to be the "supporting sidekick", and one to take the Ring at the end and accidentally fall into the volcano.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 27 2008, 8:22am

Post #13 of 15 (468 views)
Shortcut
Tricksey for my poor tired brain... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll give it a try...

1: Two. I think they are ravens. (now I am second-guessing myself and want to change my answer to three, but no, I will stick with two. Maybe I will get a bonus point if the answer is three Sly

2: Three

3: Five

4: Three

5: Four

6: One

That was most awfully tricky; I would not be surprised if I got them all wrong. Blush

Now, if only I could think of a witty bonus task entry, I could save my score with stacks of bonus points...

Q: How many "vodka on the rocks" metaphors does it take to break the fortress at Helm's Deep?
A: None - it's a simile, silly! Crazy

PS: Please give me mega-bonus points for not looking at ONE answer that anyone else wrote
Angelic

Hmmm...best I could do after a 12hr workday. (Angles for sympathy bonus points)

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 27 2008, 8:26am

Post #14 of 15 (468 views)
Shortcut
You deserve maximum bonus points for your jokes!!!! :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Menelwyn
Rohan

Feb 28 2008, 12:38am

Post #15 of 15 (481 views)
Shortcut
Ick.... [In reply to] Can't Post

These numerical ones are hard!

1. How many cawing birds are perched on the scarecrow as Sam and Frodo leave the Shire? beats me. Five?

2. How many sets of double-doors are there in Saruman's throne room in the Tower of Orthanc? I'll go with four.

3. How many sides does the deep well in Balin's tomb have? I thought it was round. Maybe eight?

4. How many abreast does the column of warrior Elves march into Helm's Deep? Four

5. How many sections was the green space in the courtyard of Minas Tirith divided into? Ah, one I'm confident of! Four!

6. How many arrows does Legolas use to bring down the Mūmakil? Three!

How many __________ does it take to __________?
Ok, I'm no good at writing jokes. Here's my best one that I've come up with. How many of the Free Peoples of Middle-earth does it take to change a light bulb? All five. Dwarves to manufacture the bulb, Men to actually install the thing, Elves to write a 5000 line epic poem about the event, Hobbits to host a victory feast, and Ents to make sure that the light bulb is an environmentally-friendly compact-flourescent bulb.

or

How many Moriquendi does it take to change a light bulb? What's wrong with the dark?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.