Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
(A music thread :) ) "Whenever I think of this song, I always think of..."

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2014, 8:48am

Post #1 of 10 (319 views)
Shortcut
(A music thread :) ) "Whenever I think of this song, I always think of..." Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/...youtube_gdata_player

Music has the ability to evoke a particular time or place, even to the point that you sometimes can't think of one without thinking of the other. Of course music that was popular when we were a kid or teenager can immediately take us back to those times. But there are often especially strong associations. If i hear any song off Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album, I find I'm back in my mom's flower shop delivery van, sitting in a beanbag chair behind my mom's seat. (It was the seventies, we didn't need no stinking safety belts. Crazy)

Anyway, what made me think of this was hearing the Willie Nelson version of Stardust. I hadn't heard it in ages, yet I immediately thought of Samoa. Yes, Samoa. Smile My mom, after selling her flower shop, remarried and moved with her husband to Samoa. They lived in a small village that didn't get electricity until the mid-eighties. One of the times I stayed with them in the early eighties , they, for some reason, had only a small old-fashioned kerosene lamp instead of their usual bright Coleman lantern. During this time my mom was in love with her Stardust tape that she played over and over in her boombox. I don't know why - maybe it's the mention of starlight that was so prominant there at night, or the simple but beautiful musical arrangements - but that Hoagy Carmichael standard, sung in a nasal twang by a country and western singer from Texas, just seemed so perfect for those dark Samoan nights. Stardust will always equal Samoa for me. LaughSmile

See link above for video of song. For some reason when I try to paste a link, it pops up at the top. Tongue

Any especially strong musical associations for you? Smile

(This post was edited by zarabia on Sep 11 2014, 8:58am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 11 2014, 9:49pm

Post #2 of 10 (225 views)
Shortcut
The "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album makes me think of Corsica. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was seventeen I spent the summer with a German family, and we went to Corsica for a month. We stayed in a bungalow, and the family in the next bungalow played that album over and over all summer long. Now when I hear Simon and Garfunkel, I'm back on that beach.

And the "Graceland" album was our family's traveling music when our kids were little. Uncle Baggins had checked the tape out from the library, and we listened to it on that trip, which was to Arches National Park, and then he bought a copy and we took it on subsequent trips. When I hear it, I get teary-eyed, thinking of when our kids were small.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 8:53am

Post #3 of 10 (205 views)
Shortcut
Graceland was a great album [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd imagine it's even more special with that association with happy family times together. Smile

Whenever I hear I've Got My Mind Set on You by George Harrison, it makes me smile. That was popular when my niece was a toddler; she absolutely loved it! I can see her in her car seat, swaying and waving her hands as she tried to sing along. Smile

Corsica has always fascinated me. A bit of France, a bit of Italy, and yet all it's own thing, culturally speaking.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 12 2014, 9:22am

Post #4 of 10 (206 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... several... [In reply to] Can't Post

Summer of '69 - I think of the summer of 2003... first love and all that

The Original Broadway CD of "Next to Normal" - reminds me of the time I lived in New York

I vow to thee, my country - reminds me of the beautiful campus of the University of Nottingham where I studied during the Diamond Jubilee of the Queen

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 12 2014, 4:40pm

Post #5 of 10 (196 views)
Shortcut
CSNY's "Judy Blue Eyes" suite [In reply to] Can't Post

takes me back to my first year of college. I played that LP over and over and over and over . . .

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2014, 4:47pm

Post #6 of 10 (194 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

Followed by "Marrakesh Express" and "Guinnevere"!

Good times!

Dites-moi pourquoi,
Elves sont dans Helm's Deep?
Dites-moi pourquoi,
Haldir est mort?

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2014, 4:54pm

Post #7 of 10 (193 views)
Shortcut
Roly Poly [In reply to] Can't Post

Always think of my Dad. When I was a kid Dad used to sing this song to me as a lullaby whenever we were driving out in the country late at night.

Harrumph... Eyes tearing up. Must be smoke in the air...

Dites-moi pourquoi,
Elves sont dans Helm's Deep?
Dites-moi pourquoi,
Haldir est mort?

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 12 2014, 5:03pm

Post #8 of 10 (195 views)
Shortcut
Ah, nostalgia! [In reply to] Can't Post

My senior year of H.S. I played the crap out of the first Boston LP; so when I hear "More Than a Feeling" I always think of my senior year. Probably wasn't nearly as whimsical as I remember it. When I was 19 I joined the Air Force, and was stationed in England during 1981-82. Some songs will take me back to that, most notably Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" and REAL early U2. I was such a headbanger back then, loved the original Iron Maiden (never cared much for Bruce Dickinson) and Priest. I went to London at least once a month, often for a concert at Hammersmith Odeon - wonder if it's still there? London's changed alot in 30+ years I'm sure. Someday I'd like to go back and see if I can remember any of it.Cool

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 12 2014, 6:13pm

Post #9 of 10 (193 views)
Shortcut
That song played in my senior year of high school [In reply to] Can't Post

The song I remember from college was Band on the Run by Paul McCartney and Wings. I didn't own it but they played it non-stop in the student union (I think it was a juke box) where I often hung out playing Euchre.

The Christmas music we played when I was a child holds fond memories: Bing Crosby and The Ames Brothers especially.

Hearing the popular orchestral music of the 60s (Percy Faith, Henry Mancini, Bert Kaempfert, etc) reminds me of winter breakfast in the dark with my mom before school ... listening to easy listening on WBCK radio. (Breakfast was peanut butter on toast dunked in hot chocolate)

I remember having a fantastic teen-girl night at Cornwell's Turkey Farm fall harvest and Hang on Sloopy was playing. :-)

The summer we spent 3 months in our van traveling Canada and the western half of the US, Afternoon Delight was played non-stop on the radio.

I think the key that runs through those is that they weren't songs I *chose* to listen to. I love music and chose to listen to lots of it. But the stuff that evokes memories seems to be the songs that waft in from the corners of my life during times and moments that were important to me.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 13 2014, 1:05am

Post #10 of 10 (185 views)
Shortcut
One that comes to mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

That darned "Good Riddance," by Green Day. If you here that song during a semi-important event/moment, it won't leave you. CrazyWink

footer_bilbo photo footer_bilbo_zps5f194312.jpg

Come party right now in the Hobbit movie forum, as we celebrate one year's worth of CHOW discussion of the films. Hope to see you there!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.