Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Fanfiction? Fic about Fan Contest

CookandBaker

Sep 11 2014, 5:42am

Post #1 of 14 (1668 views)
Shortcut
Fanfiction? Fic about Fan Contest Can't Post

I know fanfiction may not be everybody's cup of tea/mug of ale, but I was wondering it anyone here writes fanfiction?

I am writing a RPG-esque piece about the Hobbit Fan Contest. It's meant to be funny, and to portray fans + parody fanfiction. Still, I'm having trouble with the title, which is definitely subject to change:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10578432/1/Into-the-Storm
Description:
151 fans on their way to preview the latest Hobbit movie find that due to lightning storm their plane has crashed and disappeared. Landing unharmed on the Lonely Mountain on the eve of the great battle, the unlikely heroes team together to kill the dragon Smaug, save Middle Earth, defeat the dark lord Sauron, and prevent the tragic deaths detailed in J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit".

I was wondering if anyone is in the contest would like to share your experience and background? It could be like an RPG. Say, what would you do if you actually won the fan contest and how would you react, and what you would want to do should you fall into Middle Earth.

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 11 2014, 7:45am

Post #2 of 14 (1453 views)
Shortcut
well, my story [In reply to] Can't Post

kinda resembles yours in an odd way lol Wink

https://www.fanfiction.net/...Look-Beyond-the-Mask

I am not even entering the contest- I have two small children and don't even own a passport (and not likely to be able to acquire one in time anyway). Plus, I'm an American and so far haven't seen any way to be able to enter it, so rather than sift through the headache I decided not to. I will get to see the movie when it comes out (though if money/passport/kids weren't an issue I'd SO be happy to be there!) Wink

However, to answer your question, you could probably read my story lol Tongue

On a more serious note, I would hope to never end up in ME like my character in the story did- it's an extremely sad story for her. But if I were to end up in Middle-earth, I'd want to find a way to help in any way I can with the quest against Smaug (even if it's not likely the dwarves would let me due to my gender). What that dragon did to the dwarves is horrible and so completely unjust! He completely decimated a people, and I don't stand for injustice (lol once you read my story summary this won't need elaboration Wink). Smaug is quintessentially a big bully- a very violent one but a big bully.

And to quote Captain America- I don't like bullies Mad

CookandBaker

Sep 11 2014, 8:23am

Post #3 of 14 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Thanks for replying. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read your fic. It's lovely. Thanks for sharing too :) I won't copy your OC but I will use it for inspiration regarding reactions to Middle-Earth, etc.

So fun meeting a fellow fanfic writer Smile

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 11 2014, 4:17pm

Post #4 of 14 (1438 views)
Shortcut
just to clarify [In reply to] Can't Post

You read it after I posted above, or before? Because if you read it after I posted yesterday afternoon then you are by FAR the fastest reader I've ever met! Shocked And I'm an extremely fast reader myself....

Thanks for the compliment on the story Blush

That's fine- I appreciate you being willing to not copy her outright. I don't envy your task though- 151 OC's???? It's going to take some clever work to keep them from getting confusing to the reader! Unimpressed

Good luck!

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 11 2014, 10:14pm

Post #5 of 14 (1444 views)
Shortcut
I don't have a passport either... [In reply to] Can't Post

so I can't enter the contest (although I met all the other requirements). I have no problem with fan fiction (I really should update my back story soon, since I only have about a month left. You'll find the thread on either the third or fourth page), since I've been writing them for a while. You may want to change the title, because it sounds like you crossed the movie Into the Storm (which I'll be going to for the fifth time on Sunday afternoon) with the Hobbit, so it may confuse some fans (just a thought). I'm not sure if my own fan fic has the best title, so if anyone can come up with a better one (but please don't suggest Marida's Story, since there are tons of fan fics with similar titles), please let me know.Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 11 2014, 10:46pm

Post #6 of 14 (1440 views)
Shortcut
was that directed at me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because my story is titled To Look Beyond the Mask....the OP's story is Into the Storm....

What is your current story title and the story summary? I might be able to help you come up with a title if you want Smile

My fan fiction is about 300,000 words so far (hard to tell exactly, as I have author's notes in there that contribute to word count) but it's nowhere near finished lol Tongue Part 1 is, and there will likely be four parts or so.

I posted the link to mine above if you're interested (all reviews are welcome, constructively positive or negative, as it helps me grow as a writer Sly).

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 12 2014, 12:58am

Post #7 of 14 (1472 views)
Shortcut
Like I mentioned before... [In reply to] Can't Post

I view the forum in flat mode (I find it easier to read, and it's what I'm used to from other discussion forums), so unless I quote your post (which will show up in my post with a box that says "In reply to" shortly above it), I wasn't replying to you, you just happened to post before I did.

Here's a link to my back story fan fic:

https://www.fanfiction.net/...1/The-Road-to-Erebor

Let me know if I got any of the dialogue wrong (from the movies, not the book), since I rarely rewatch scenes (it's the whole movie or TV series or nothing). My reviews are mostly positive, but I should answer a question someone asked about it.

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 12 2014, 5:49am

Post #8 of 14 (1449 views)
Shortcut
Don't usually read that genre [In reply to] Can't Post

But I am quite aware of how intelligent you are (as opposed to unfortunately all too many fic writers who, to be honest, suck at romantic stories) so I will give it a shot when I get the chance to do so (I'm backed up on correspondence- mini farm, need to sew fall/winter clothing for myself and my growing girls, canning, plus need to finish the quilt top for my sister in law's December wedding and I'm behind on it, plus I am homeschooling and need to do winter prep- make more candles (use them after dark, as well as oil lamps), trim back the yard so it will be easier to yank unwanted shrubs out, organizing for autumn (and getting rid of stuff we don't use), begin work on making Christmas gifts (sewn doll clothes, going to attempt a scarf and beanie caps, etc), try to makeshift repair our fence so our new neighbor's dogs don't keep sneaking into my yard as the house was abandoned for ten months before purchase and the fence needs to last til tax refund time next spring, etc).

So my apologies if I don't get to it right off- fall is an extremely busy time for farm/agricultural work (especially since what I'm not able to grow yet on 1/4 acre I purchase from the local farmers for canning), especially for someone who practices basically a modified Amish lifestyle (meaning that if I can do it by hand, like baking bread, making candles, etc I will, rather than use power tools/electric tools, etc).

But I will definitely look at it! Smile And you'll know when I've finally gotten to it (need to catch up on correspondence too- I email some of my readers back and forth and have established pen pal type friendships, and have about fourteen email tabs open on my comp right now Evil) because you'll get my review for the content up to latest chapter (so one review for what you have so far, rather than multiple reviews for each chapter).

And if I can think of a better title for it, I will be sure to let you know Smile I'm all for reading fan fiction (when I can spare the time- winter and early spring is a lot easier than summer/autumn, and I myself tend to update more when there isn't much to do outside and winter prep is all done) as long as its well written fan fic and not awful ones Evil And I'm sure yours is good because I've seen your many posts and thoughtful contributions on here Wink

I will also let you know about dialogue if I can as pertaining to accuracy. I, unlike you, like watching favorite scenes over and over again (also small kids mean that it often happens- if I get interrupted I will rewind and rewatch to make up for what I miss)- at first, due to the geeky obs list, then later because as a writer myself I look for details that can expand and draw out the characters and give more insight into them and their personalities (like the books in Beorn's home and the chess set indicating a HIGHLY intelligent man/skinchanger), provide excellent ways to incorporate detail when describing scenes, and allowing me to watch all the different characters within the same setting to see how they are and the nuances (the actors never stopped acting even when the camera wasn't on them, so being able to rewatch with eyes on each character one by one helps greatly with establishing those who aren't as well established by dialogue).

And if this is an excuse to watch the movies again, then who am I to complain? Angelic Wink

Was typing out some more stuff, but thought it best to send it via pm since it's stuff specific to your story so I felt it would be better to send that there (don't worry- not bad stuff at all, but more personal than boards I think).

Also I read in flat mode too (hate threaded- it gets annoying), but write in markup style, so I at least do "reply to this post" when replying to specific posts, rather than replying to last post made, so sorry for the confusion. I thought you were replying to me, rather than the OP Evil

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 13 2014, 5:31pm

Post #9 of 14 (1421 views)
Shortcut
"Reply to this Post" is available [In reply to] Can't Post

on every post, so you can direct your replies without having to have a quote box. Although you might read in Flat Mode, not everyone here does, so just quoting someone can be confusing for anyone reading in Threaded Mode. So just look for the post that you want to reply to, click on the "Reply to this Post" and you won't confuse the reader in either Flat or Threaded. You can always use the quote box in addition. Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 13 2014, 9:21pm

Post #10 of 14 (1455 views)
Shortcut
A little late for one task... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
151 fans on their way to preview the latest Hobbit movie find that due to lightning storm their plane has crashed and disappeared. Landing unharmed on the Lonely Mountain on the eve of the great battle, the unlikely heroes team together to kill the dragon Smaug, save Middle Earth, defeat the dark lord Sauron, and prevent the tragic deaths detailed in J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit".

Well if they're looking to kill Smaug then they better hope that Gandalf has a time-travel spell. By the eve of the Battle of Five Armies, the dragon has been dead for weeks (maybe only a few days in Peter Jackson's film).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 25 2014, 7:32pm

Post #11 of 14 (1358 views)
Shortcut
What would I do??? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I was wondering if anyone is in the contest would like to share your experience and background? It could be like an RPG. Say, what would you do if you actually won the fan contest and how would you react, and what you would want to do should you fall into Middle Earth.

Hopefully not die of a heart attack before I get on that plane!

So far my experience has been limited to setting up a Twitter account (really, the ONLY reason I set up a Twitter account!), passing the "Quiz" and submitting the video. I did try to put together a "Laketown" costume similar to what the lady who said "They were dwarves, I tell you" was wearing, and I filmed on a lakeshore (not the Long Lake, but then again I do live in Oklahoma). I would hope that, should the plane crash on the Lonely Mountain and I survived, that I could scavange a nice warm coat, some matches, and a nice shiny dagger or two - otherwise I'd be TOAST!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

CookandBaker

Sep 29 2014, 1:25am

Post #12 of 14 (1269 views)
Shortcut
Ah Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Lol that's so funny :) The contest was quite interesting and fun but there's like such a slim chance of winning :(. I do believe most of the fans may be in costume so that's something I'd put into the story.

CookandBaker

Sep 29 2014, 1:26am

Post #13 of 14 (1284 views)
Shortcut
Right... [In reply to] Can't Post

I got that part wrong. I imagined the plane landing on the Lonely Mountain right after Smaug flies off to Laketown... and with the image of Smaug on the plane.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 29 2014, 1:26pm

Post #14 of 14 (1355 views)
Shortcut
That's still too late to stop Smaug. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I got that part wrong. I imagined the plane landing on the Lonely Mountain right after Smaug flies off to Laketown... and with the image of Smaug on the plane.

Even if your plane lands at (not on!) Lonely Mountain just after Smaug flies off, your intrepid band is not going to reach Lake-town before the dragon attacks and is killed by Bard. Long Lake is miles away from the Mountain and there isn't exactly a runway handy! Perhaps you should consider a water-landing on Long Lake (especially if you have no plans for the group returning to the modern world).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.