Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC Updated Release Dates

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Sep 10 2014, 12:51am

Post #1 of 8 (21607 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC Updated Release Dates Can't Post

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced today that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will take more time in development, and the release dates for these versions are moving to November 18 in the Americas and November 21 in Europe. The street dates for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One remain September 30 in the Americas and October 3 in Europe. PC and Steam versions are now slated for release in the Americas and Europe on September 30.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor delivers a dynamic game environment where the player orchestrates their personal plan of vengeance as they bend Mordor to their will. The game begins on the night of Sauron's return to Mordor, as his Black Captains brutally execute the Rangers of the Black Gate. Players become Talion, a ranger who loses his family and everything he holds dear, only to be returned from death by a mysterious Spirit of vengeance. Based on the player's actions with the in-game Nemesis System, every enemy encountered is distinct and can evolve to become a personal archenemy through the course of the game. As Talion's personal vendetta unfolds, players uncover the mystery of the Spirit that compels him, discover the origin of the Rings of Power and confront the ultimate nemesis.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Sep 16 2014, 1:01am)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 12 2014, 3:01am

Post #2 of 8 (21411 views)
Shortcut
Good thing I'm getting it on PS4! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kinda stinks for those who were getting it on PS3/X360, yet this game is meant to played on next gen!!

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 4:23am

Post #3 of 8 (21447 views)
Shortcut
I just got a PS4 a couple of weeks ago, [In reply to] Can't Post

partly because of this game (also, Diablo lll Ultimate Evil Edition, and a few others). Been watching every video i can find on it and i have not seen anything yet that disappoints. Of course it's "Tolkien-ness" is still very much up in the air, but i've actually been fairly impressed at least with the effort the developer has put into making a game that's fun to play, and a world that's fun to explore, jibe with Tolkien's Legendarium. Besides, i'm pretty forgiving when it comes to stories in video games (i.e. i can pretty much ignore anything if the game is fun to play), but from what i've seen so far, they're doing a pretty good job of making game play mechanics work within a Tolkien context, which is all i'm asking for, really.

I do kind of worry about the consequences of making a next-gen game work on a last-gen console. Do they end up making concessions in the PS4/XBOne versions so that the game works on PS3/XBox360, to keep them essentially the same game, but with one version just having better graphics? When i buy a new console, and a new-gen game for it, i want a true new-gen game.

We shall soon see, and i myself can hardly wait.

BTW, i'm really happy with the PS4 so far (Diablo lll is awesome, as is InFamous: Second Son/First Light), and can't believe i actually like a Dual Shock as much as i liked my XBox 360 controller.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 13 2014, 12:59pm

Post #4 of 8 (21404 views)
Shortcut
In regards to making the game for next/last gen [In reply to] Can't Post

The next gen got most of the focus on the dev team, and I believe they had another dev team working on the PS3/X360 version. From what I've heard in interviews, the PS4/X1 were not toned down at all to make the last gen consoles feel the same, but the last gen versions have a much smaller nemesis system. So really, only real choice to go with is the next gen versions. I know not everyone can just up and buy a PS4 or X1, but I think for the long run it'd be a better choice. Only game I play so far on my PS4 is Lego The Hobbit, and man is it gorgeous!! Can't wait to add another Middle-earth title to it!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2014, 3:52pm

Post #5 of 8 (21419 views)
Shortcut
Now that you mention it, [In reply to] Can't Post

The next gen got most of the focus on the dev team, and I believe they had another dev team working on the PS3/X360 version. From what I've heard in interviews, the PS4/X1 were not toned down at all to make the last gen consoles feel the same, but the last gen versions have a much smaller nemesis system.

I do remember reading something about that a while back. Let's hope that it's true.

I also came across this article which has a video from IGN's Rewind Theater, along with the story trailer itself, that gets into some of Celebrimbor's part of the story, and shows him facing down Sauron at what certainly must be the Battle of Dagorlad from the Fellowship prologue. And i must say that it looks exactly like the movie, as if it were some long lost deleted scene. The article also states "Shadow of Mordor’s gameplay had been enough to win over many of the editors here at IGN...", which is very promising.

I just get more and more excited about this game. Good thing it comes out in just over two weeks.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Sep 13 2014, 3:54pm)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 14 2014, 10:48am

Post #6 of 8 (21358 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, very excited!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Already got September 30th and October 1st off to play this all day!! Gonna be fantastic!!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 15 2014, 5:41pm

Post #7 of 8 (21350 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for bringing that up... [In reply to] Can't Post

Already got September 30th and October 1st off to play this all day!! Gonna be fantastic!!

I've got to make sure to take that Tuesday off-- hadn't thought of that.

I'm more excited about this than i am about BotFA by far-- i haven't taken a day off of work for something like this since RotK!

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Sep 15 2014, 5:50pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2014, 2:02pm

Post #8 of 8 (21404 views)
Shortcut
Found this quote concerning last-gen vs. next-gen... [In reply to] Can't Post

“We’re very focused on the PS4 and Xbox One… We’re focusing on the next-gen platforms, and then going to do whatever we can to get as much as possible on current-gen.

“To break it down, some of the stuff we’re pretty confident will still be very similar on current gen: the core mechanics, like combat, stealth, ranged and movements; the basic control and gameplay, that should all be really solid. What it won’t have is the same level of depth and variety and simulation within the ‘Nemesis system’.

“The story will be the same and the core gameplay will be the same, but [the 'Nemesis system' is] just so huge in terms of content, calculations and AI we’ll just have to try and get as much of it in as we can.”

... from this article on IGN (Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor 'Focused On PS4 and XBox One').

And here's another interesting IGN article (Why Lord of the Rings Fans Should Be Excited for Shadow of Mordor) with Design Director Michael de Plater, on working with Tolkien scholars, WETA, and PJ himself.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Sep 17 2014, 2:04pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.