The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
4K Blu-rays coming late 2015!

AshNazg
Gondor

Sep 9 2014, 11:55pm

Post #1 of 6 (347 views)
Shortcut
4K Blu-rays coming late 2015! Can't Post

I'm on a mobile, so can't share a link, but it was recently announced that 4K Blu-rays will be available in holiday (Christmas) 2015.

I wonder if they will support 3D when released or if we'll have to wait a bit longer? and also if they'll support HFR or not?

One thing that is confirmed is that, besides having four times higher resolution, they will also use a wider colour gamut (xvYCC) meaning we will be seeing more colours in our content!

Who knows how long it will take until we see a LotR and Hobbit boxed set in beautiful 4K. But, while I never got LotR on Blu-ray I might just consider a 4K upgrade, especially if The Hobbit is released in HFR.

Anyone else excited about this or maybe you're tired of repurchasing the same content in different formats? Do you think 4K will be a revolution, a flop or a passing fad?

jschomburg
Rivendell

Sep 10 2014, 12:36pm

Post #2 of 6 (201 views)
Shortcut
Have to buy new equipment, yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the 4K will be really cool, but will have to go out and buy a new TV and player. Better start saving now.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2014, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 6 (202 views)
Shortcut
A word of caution... [In reply to] Can't Post

Both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films were finished in 2K (though shot in higher resolutions). This means that the existing Digital Intermediates cannot take full advantage of the 4K resolution. 2K is a little bit higher than 1080p, so there would be an increase in quality, but not by that much. In order to bring the films up to 4K, they would have to redo all the visual effects, etc. This is the case for many films in the past 10+ years. It's possible a couple titles might get a complete overhaul to bring them up to 4K (if the market for the format is there in abundance), but I honestly wouldn't bet on it.

Even worse still, a great many TV shows in the last decade were actually shot in 1080p (Game of Thrones among them), so they will never be able to look better than they currently do.

Bill Hunt of TheDigitalBits.com wrote up a piece the other day about why he thinks 4K won't take off (as well as the sad state of affairs for physical media in the shadow of studios' support of Video-on-Demand):

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/...wo-cents/090814_1530

I won't be investing in 4K myself, exactly for the reason that so many of my favorite films and shows won't benefit much (or at all) from it - and anyway, I'll be thinking twice before finding myself in a situation where I'm rebuying all my movies again.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Sep 10 2014, 9:30pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 11 2014, 12:44pm

Post #4 of 6 (168 views)
Shortcut
If they plan on doing this... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I hope the six-movie box will already have this resolution.

One could get annoyed by "the milking of the movies".

But when I look at all the versions of Tolkien books announced all the time it is nothing that is only movie-connected, or evil WB and Co.

Not sure though it will do - especially LotR - much good... although the BluRay does look really great for the most part, the map-paintings and several effects are kind of exposed by Blu-Ray... not sure how obvious it would be with 4k.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2014, 12:49pm

Post #5 of 6 (157 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see 4K become the standard [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I saw the 4K demo at Best Buy I was practically hypnotized (pretty much the same reaction I had the first time I ever saw a 1080 display). I could hardly tear myself away from the screen. I would be thrilled if it actually became the standard for filming and viewing movies and TV, but who knows how long that will take? One can only hope.

As far as 3D goes, I still have issues with it, mostly because of the color muting caused by those stupid glasses. It's a bit like wearing sunglasses indoors and it seriously annoys me - I keep pushing the glasses up to see what the colors are supposed to really look like, which isn't a very good way to watch a movie.

Oh well, still waiting for those magic Star Trek holograms... Smile

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 13 2014, 1:43pm

Post #6 of 6 (156 views)
Shortcut
Still waiting for 1080p to be standard [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure about other countries, but here in the UK there's almost no Full HD content besides Blu-ray.

Internet is generally too slow for HD streaming, and the streamed videos in 1080p are so compressed it kind of spoils the whole point anyway. HD TV channels are in 1080i because they can't handle 1080p. And the number of these HD channels is minimal, especially if you don't pay contracted providers like SKY. I think there's about 4 HD channels?

I don't see 4k picking up unless broadcasters and providers seriously upgrade their tech. We're still stuck in a standard definition world but with HD displays. :(

As for the 3D glasses dulling the image, the lens filters only really affect the luminance of the image (how 'bright' the image looks). This can be corrected by brightening the projected image, but if you make it too bright the image flickers because you can notice it going black 24 times a second.

At 48 fps the image can actually be brightened so that it looks perfectly fine with the glasses on (and way too bright with them off). Even better, at 60 fps the image can be brightened to the point that its brighter with glasses on than a 2D 24fps movie. HFR really has a lot of benefits for 3D beyond stutter and blur.

3D may not be perfect, but just like any tech it'll keep getting better.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.