Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
How hard is it to get started on playing The Lord of the Rinsg Trading Card Game?

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 9 2014, 4:41am

Post #1 of 9 (428 views)
Shortcut
How hard is it to get started on playing The Lord of the Rinsg Trading Card Game? Can't Post

I have been curious about starting to play but I don't have any cards as of now and am wondering what kind of a haul/and or investment I'll have to be prepared to make. I also have no idea of how hard it is to learn. Would I be able to figure it out on my own if I read through the directions or would I have to have an expert explain to me? I am on very new territory here and am looking for some advice. Smile

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Ostadan
Rivendell

Sep 9 2014, 4:52pm

Post #2 of 9 (326 views)
Shortcut
Trading Card Game? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been curious about starting to play but I don't have any cards as of now and am wondering what kind of a haul/and or investment I'll have to be prepared to make. I also have no idea of how hard it is to learn. Would I be able to figure it out on my own if I read through the directions or would I have to have an expert explain to me? I am on very new territory here and am looking for some advice. Smile

The Trading Card Game is the title of Decipher's now-defunct collectible game of ten years ago. You might be able to find cards fairly cheap through second-hand sources like eBay, or from some vendors with overstock, but there aren't a lot of people who still play this. Also, after the first few sets, it is generally felt that Decipher's additions to the game did not improve anything. If you get hold of some of the original Fellowship cards, though, you shouldn't find the game too difficult to learn.

You should look into Fantasy Flight's Lord of the Rings Living Card Game, which is a cooperative game, and still being published and actively developed and promoted. The Core Set shouldn't set you back too much and will give you a pretty good idea of whether you like it enough to buy expansions.

boardgamegeek.com would be a good place to post queries like this, by the way.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 9 2014, 5:19pm

Post #3 of 9 (327 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize the game was as old as it was. I saw some older sets available and thought they looked nice. I will look into the other game as well.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 9 2014, 11:15pm

Post #4 of 9 (325 views)
Shortcut
to add to Ostadan [In reply to] Can't Post

(just in case you're still interested ... somewhat...)

I got the game and played it a few times with my sons where were superior gamers in general and familiar with the collectible card game concept (read: Magic the Gathering).

I learned how to play it pretty quickly. (that was not the case with Magic. That game with all of its 'if/then' conditions on cards which was way too complicated)

You will play two parts. On one hand, you are trying to get your fellowship to its goal. On the other hand, you're trying to stop/destroy those other players' attempts to do the same thing. So you are partly trying to protect Frodo and partly trying to kill him. You gotta be cool with that.

I actually won a few hands of this game when I played with my sons. I think I win at games more often than they might expect because I approach it like a wild, feral child... with no understanding of conventional gaming strategy and no fear of failing. Sometimes they look at me like, 'why did you do that?' but... it works. :-)

If you can find the cards cheap, you might find some enjoyment out of just collecting them. I sometimes stick some of my extras into gifties I'm mailing people or with TORn/Tolkien friends I'm meeting up with for the first time. They give names to characters without names in the movies. And they did a series of specialty photo-shoots of characters not in the movie (like Tom Bombadil). There are sites out there that list (with images) every card made. You could maybe look through one of those sites and see if the cards themselves interest you.

But I wouldn't spend much money on them. Mostly for the reason Ostadan gave.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 10 2014, 3:34am

Post #5 of 9 (306 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the help I am glad to here about real experiences with them. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure I could find a set for pretty cheap if I look hard enough.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2014, 3:58am

Post #6 of 9 (303 views)
Shortcut
I'm not the most knowledgeable... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think you need a box set for every player.

There were booster packs that functioned like a lottery for getting more cards.

Someone once described Magic the Gathering as crack for gamers. That's about it. You keep buying and buying to find those special cards. :-)

But to play a simple game, one box per player should suffice.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 10 2014, 9:26pm

Post #7 of 9 (296 views)
Shortcut
Doctor Who: The Card Game [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with the opinion that you might be better served in checking out the current game. The second edition of Doctor Who: The Card Game is expected to be released in November by U.K. game publisher Cubicle 7.

Doctor Who: The Card Game – Preorder Now Open!

Doctor Who: The Card Game – Frequently Asked Questions

The second edition is also supposed to be compatable with the first edition of the game.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 10 2014, 9:28pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 10 2014, 10:16pm

Post #8 of 9 (294 views)
Shortcut
I wish they had these for some other subjects or things I'm interested in. [In reply to] Can't Post

Who just isn't for me. Evil

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Sep 10 2014, 10:17pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 10 2014, 10:20pm

Post #9 of 9 (384 views)
Shortcut
Sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how I got it into my head that you were interested in the Doctor Who card game. As someone else pointed out there is a current LotR card game that is unrelated to the out-of-print Decipher one. Cubicle 7 has issued the Hobbit Tales story-telling card game, but that is very different from the games you are looking for.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.