Gondor

Sep 8 2014, 1:33pm

Post #1 of 22 (1486 views)
Shortcut
UK: TH:DOS SEE preorder up! Can't Post

The most important version is the DVD, which has a similar design to LOTR SEE:

5-Disc DVD version: 17.75 pounds

Also, two other versions are listed as well:

3D+2D BluRay (Bookends Edition): 79.25 pounds - no word yet what the bookends will be.
3D+2D BluRay: 21.50 pounds

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 8 2014, 1:41pm

Post #2 of 22 (1070 views)
Shortcut
I wish US was getting these! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like these more than ours.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 8 2014, 1:54pm

Post #3 of 22 (1058 views)
Shortcut
I wish germany was getting the bookend edition... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the "Barrels out of Bond" thing is hidious.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 8 2014, 3:46pm

Post #4 of 22 (993 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DjU
Lorien

Sep 8 2014, 4:21pm

Post #5 of 22 (990 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also, two other versions are listed as well:

3D+2D BluRay (Bookends Edition): 79.25 pounds - no word yet what the bookends will be.
3D+2D BluRay: 21.50 pounds

I honestly don't expect there to actually be any 'Bookends', its been listed on Amazon UK as 'Bookends' for well over a month - there was a similar one last year when AUJ was listed as something like 'Treasure Chest' version. It'll most likely be either the Barrels out of Bond or the Erebor Key like other areas.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 8 2014, 4:35pm

Post #6 of 22 (973 views)
Shortcut
Thanks very much for posting this [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice, I think. I'll buy the DVD version, and hope there will also be a steelbook, as there was last year, preferably with an image of Smaug and Bilbo.

P.S. Oh, yes, I notice that there is a steelbook on UK Amazon, featuring Bilbo (good), but no Smaug (bad). (It will be OK if Smaug is on the back.)

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Sep 8 2014, 4:38pm)

DjU
Lorien

Sep 8 2014, 4:44pm

Post #7 of 22 (970 views)
Shortcut
Samug on the Back [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Very nice, I think. I'll buy the DVD version, and hope there will also be a steelbook, as there was last year, preferably with an image of Smaug and Bilbo.

P.S. Oh, yes, I notice that there is a steelbook on UK Amazon, featuring Bilbo (good), but no Smaug (bad). (It will be OK if Smaug is on the back.)

Smaug is on the back. The UK Steelbook is the same design as the Target US Exclusive Steelbook.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=771515;#771515

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2014, 4:48pm

Post #8 of 22 (954 views)
Shortcut
I fear that, as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

If it is the Key of Erebor, though, for me that would actually be preferable to the hot dwarves in a tub! Tongue

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Sep 8 2014, 4:51pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 8 2014, 4:59pm

Post #9 of 22 (962 views)
Shortcut
Steelbook link [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, there is a UK 3D BluRay Steelbook (same motif as the Target on from the US, but 3D). 27.25 pounds.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 8 2014, 5:25pm

Post #10 of 22 (958 views)
Shortcut
Opposite opinion - delighted with barrels figure and can't wait for EE [In reply to] Can't Post

My very first WETA Thorin figure at a good price, and to me it's got an energy. No, the likeness isn't EXACT but at this price point *SHRUG* and love the way they did the water, too. Think Thorin and Kili are great, Bilbo a little flat re expression but again, at this price point - e.g. separating the BR cost at full price, the price of the figure is good IMO - a WETA figure. Just hope I don't have the issues I had with the Erebor bookends re arriving broken or flawed Frown.

Haha - might get TWO - ever mindful with all these worrisome cutbacks and new PJ projects and so on, who knows when and if any new REALLY cool LOTR/Hobbit collectibles will come out. And I always get duplicate disks.

A little OT but thought this DOS review I tripped over on Amazon U.S was just so gosh-darn refreshing, I thought I would post it:

Anthony L.
Format: Blu-ray I have read absolutely everything that JRR Tolkien has ever written, and consider myself a Tolkien fanatic. This is my perspective on The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Please stick with me to the end, and I'll try not to lose you. Let's begin. So...if The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was Peter Jackson giving the purists their dues with a relatively straightforward and book-faithful film, then THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG is Peter Jackson saying: "You've had your fun. Now stand back and watch what I can do."

And the ride he takes us on is absolutely exhilarating. SMAUG is darker, moodier, and more mature than any Middle Earth film we've seen thus far. Evil hangs over our heroes like a black pall (literally). Beset on all sides by revenge-seeking orcs, wargs, terrifying spiders, pale creepy-crawlies, double-crossing elves, treacherous humans, a growing Evil in a ruined Elvish citadel, and a huge, vain, fire-breathing dragon...both the heroes and the audience are plunged into a terrifyingly new world. And there's a lot of new stuff to feast your eyes on along the way.

Castwise, Tauriel is a welcome female addition to the gang, played with charisma and spunk by Evangeline Lilly. Lee Pace's regal and scheming elf-king Thranduil is absolutely astounding, delivering a tour-de-force in a few minutes of screentime. Luke Evans could not be better as Bard, simultaneously grim and noble. But of course, the real draw here is Benedict Cumberbatch, wearing two very villainous hats. The first is as the Necromancer, who, in addition to manifesting himself as an inkblot, is really quite scary. And the second...is the reason that you came here in the first place: Smaug. The Terrible. Smaug just so happens to be the greatest dragon ever! He is everything I wanted him to be and more: vain, seductive, manipulative, terrifying, and of course, absolutely huge. I'd just like to congratulate Cumberbatch and the conceptual crew on his tremendous design.

Our returning cast is also fantastic. Richard Armitage's Thorin Oakenshield is electrifying, with gravitas and stage presence enough for a character twice his stature. His grave eyes and deep voice tell of a lifetime of war and sorrow, and every line he speaks could be delivered by a king. Martin Freeman continues to be perfect as Bilbo, and Ian McKellen's Gandalf is just as crusty and warm as you remember him. Oh, and Legolas? Legolas is awesome. Like, web-swinging, spider-slaying, arrow-shooting, orc-killing awesome!

Speaking of orc-killing, The Desolation of Smaug has, in THIS Tolkienian's perspective, the best action scene of the year: the barrels. The breathless, crazy, confusing, insane three-way-battle sequence (don't tease me for it) had me LITERALLY crying with sheer unadulterated glee! The rest of the action, including a hard-hitting spider attack, and a sprawling, rather one-sided battle between 10 dwarves, a hobbit, and a dragon shows that Jackson has absolutely outdone himself!

Well, now for the cons. If Desolation of Smaug has a con, it's that it really, really wants to keep moving to newer, darker territories, so whenever it slows down it feels, well...like an intermission between set-pieces. And the ending will divide the audience: you'll either love the breathless cliffhanger, or hate that you have to wait another year to find out what happens! And as a Tolkien purist, I have to address the fact of accuracy. SMAUG really isn't that accurate to the books. But you know what - I actually like that! I enjoy having absolutely NO IDEA what Peter Jackson has cooked up next. God knows what he's got cooked up for Part Three!

So in conclusion, The Desolation of Smaug is a terrific ride. Filled with amazing action, excellent performances, and the requisite gorgeous New Zealand landscape shots and Howard Shore score, SMAUG is everything I hoped for and more. My rating? Five Kings Under the Mountain - an absolute must-see! I hope you've enjoyed my (completely subjective) perspective on the film. Drop a line in the comments to tell me what you thought.

So I don't agree with everything this reviewer says, but 1) He's a lot more versed than I am and 2) LOL has the same JOY for DOS that I do.HeartHeartHeart

And frankly I'm finding PJ's evident joy at killing off characters Frown and making folks cry re various articles is becoming depressing re BOFA. (Yeah, sure, Sir Peter, nothing like watching some of the life-blood of a film drain away - that's FUN in books too!Mad) Maybe that's what you get with these horror-director types, but I don't enjoy horror movies in particular either, most of the time. And I don't like the feeling of being led by the nose by a director - yeah, yeah, nobody FORCES anyone to watch anything.Crazy Just find it startling as a director that PJ doesn't seem to CARE about his CHARACTERS, not like Philippa. Also the words "CGI battle" makes me nervous - wherefore art thou, Ridley Scott?Frown

Sorry went off the road.......Blush*Ahem*Blush. What can I say, it's Monday and going to rain where I am.....ANYWAY in the end for me re sheer joy, really looking forward to the DOS EE, and hope the content has me literally drooling and hopping around, because BOFA won't. Plus I'll have this cool little collectible for my shelvesHeart - right next to the Erebor bookends.

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 8 2014, 5:26pm

Post #11 of 22 (928 views)
Shortcut
Yipee – thank you for that [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the one for me, then, along with the DVD!

In Reply To
[Smaug is on the back. The UK Steelbook is the same design as the Target US Exclusive Steelbook.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=771515;#771515

P.S. He looks like the dear little pussycat he is on the steelbook…

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Sep 8 2014, 5:28pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 8 2014, 5:33pm

Post #12 of 22 (934 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, I wonder, Avandel [In reply to] Can't Post

This seems as though it might be a 'professional' review, i.e. of someone connected with the film and wishing to sell it. (Of course 'unconnected' viewers like me will never know for sure.) Wink

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 8 2014, 6:20pm

Post #13 of 22 (904 views)
Shortcut
I like the review - thanks for posting that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm also intrigued by the picture at the end of your post of a bear looking at the moon. Beorn presumably (if it isn't, it should be!) Where did that come from?

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 8 2014, 8:22pm

Post #14 of 22 (867 views)
Shortcut
Somthing to think about but figure there would be NO negative at all [In reply to] Can't Post

E.g. the "intermission" remark - figure if this is a puff piece, it would be ALL bubbles and roses and hearts. Cool

But as you say, no way to know - I need to go back and read the comments others have left for this review on Amazon!

Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 9 2014, 12:38am

Post #15 of 22 (829 views)
Shortcut
LOL Dormouse - your innoccent question triggered my compulsion [In reply to] Can't Post

to share, LOL. Sharing is caringCool

And yes, the original image of the bear is the artist's concept of Beorn - this and all of these are from Deviant Art. The bear image is at:

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/009/c/a/beorn_by_j_humphries-d5qzm3v.jpg

And some more that I just liked......since we are all waiting for some REAL news.....

Morgoth.Shocked

Well, Gandalf - better late than never I guess Unsure - it would be great to color this one....

Original filenames:

the_rage_of_ulmo_by_ralphd-d2ocako.jpg

morgoth_by_atohas-d60bt4g.png

beorn__the_skinchanger_by_leone_art-d64ap7u.png

dragons_wrath_by_sabin_boykinov-d602m6x.jpg

Ancalagon_of_Angband_by_book_illustrator.jpg

i_see_fire___erebor_by_thecoffeekid-d6tpej7.jpg

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 9 2014, 12:47am

Post #16 of 22 (830 views)
Shortcut
PS. and of course Thorin, among others..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably something we thought Radagast would look like....

One of the Nine, slowly becoming a wraith...

Tol Eressëa

Original filenames:
1_by_sceithailm-d6cnw75.jpg (Thorin)

thorin_okenshield_by_masterhalfling-d6qrlu2.jpg

haven_of_the_eldar_by_benef-d6vn8xs.jpg

4bb1a34bb76526f4c32a6c051e7873b4-d5qsivi.png
(Radagast)

the_keeper_of_one_of_the_nine_rings__nazgul__by_steamey-d699879.jpg

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 9 2014, 7:07am

Post #17 of 22 (794 views)
Shortcut
Ooo - there are some lovely images there..... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in both your posts. The Tol Eressea one appeals to me particularly. It also delights me that Tolkien inspires so much creativity and it's something that I hope he would have been pleased by too, (even if the images weren't quite what he envisaged!) But it is really something to have fired readers with a desire to be creative themselves.

adt100
Rohan

Sep 9 2014, 8:48am

Post #18 of 22 (771 views)
Shortcut
Woooo! I'll be getting the DVD version again :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 9 2014, 8:53am

Post #19 of 22 (782 views)
Shortcut
The DVD cover art is just gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Thanks for sharing, TheHutt. Now i have to wonder and wait to see what hit our shores.

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII
(Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

KingTurgon
Rohan

Sep 11 2014, 4:46pm

Post #20 of 22 (690 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish the US was getting this version of the DVD cover.

celboy
The Shire

Sep 18 2014, 7:40pm

Post #21 of 22 (665 views)
Shortcut
So is USA getting the EE on dvd [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see on amazon.

It would be nice if WB continues this so I can complete my dvd collection of all the EE.

celboy

"I'm a libra. What sign are you?"--Dwan KK76

DjU
Lorien

Sep 18 2014, 10:02pm

Post #22 of 22 (660 views)
Shortcut
Walmart [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't see on amazon.

It would be nice if WB continues this so I can complete my dvd collection of all the EE.

The DVD is a Walmart exclusive in the US

www.walmart.com/ip/The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-Of-Smaug-Extended-Edition-5-Disc-DVD-Digital-HD-Widescreen/38760768

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.