Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Of Thráin… and Gandalf in DG (Spoilery read re DoS, EE)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 8 2014, 2:53am

Post #1 of 10 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Of Thráin… and Gandalf in DG (Spoilery read re DoS, EE) Can't Post

Came across this and thought the points discussed were interesting. For the Dwarven-minded, fans of the pointy hat wearer, and what possibly happen(ed) the Necromancer's pad.

Rumours of Thráin …

**Warning: possible minor spoilers from The Hobbit**

> Who is this Thráin?

You know, that crazy dwarf – king-to-be character – which was supposed to make an appearance in The Desolation of Smaug – but clearly didn’t.

Upon seeing the first two films in The Hobbit trilogy, Thráin II (son of Thrór, father of Thorin Oakenshield) appears to be a rather key ingredient in the whole narrative – despite his lack of Thráin IIparticipation in the story.

After all, he’s the one who gave the key and map of Erebor to Gandalf prior to the Quest. Without which, let’s face it, the adventure would not have been the same.

(continue reading... off-site)

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII
(Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

DjU
Lorien

Sep 8 2014, 2:17pm

Post #2 of 10 (659 views)
Shortcut
Very good breakdown. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whilst none of the conclusions are new it is a very good read to anyone wanting to see them all together and clearly explained.

The only thing it is missing is regarding the potential Thrain subplot in the EE is the possibility of a flashback during the opening scene in the Prancing Pony.

During the scene Gandalf says
"Thorin, it's been a long time since anything but rumor was heard of Thrain."
It these cuts to Thorin
"He still lives. I am sure of it."

However when it cuts back to Gandalf he is a staring as if he is recalling something. And is disturbed out of this by Betsy Buterbur/Katie Jackson. (See Picture)
http://screencapped.net/...73#top_display_media

Thorin then asks what Gandalf said when he saw Thrain

Its seems pretty clear something like a flash back has been cut likely of the meeting of Gandalf and Train and maybe more of Azanulbizar/Moria?

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 8 2014, 2:22pm

Post #3 of 10 (638 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I guess we'll know for sure in oh... 70 days or so?Smile

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 8 2014, 3:03pm

Post #4 of 10 (625 views)
Shortcut
DjU.... WAyCool..Some FlashBacks are QUITE Quick! [In reply to] Can't Post

IF you
GET this Right...You
Get a
Gold STAR

for Predicting this
FlashBack Right!

bom
Wink

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2014, 3:15pm

Post #5 of 10 (653 views)
Shortcut
What I'm having trouble figuring out [In reply to] Can't Post

is at what point during the movies Thorin comes to the realization that his father is actually dead. Because if he does still think Thrain is alive, he doesn't actually have the right to wear that raven crown we see him in in the teaser trailer...

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

DjU
Lorien

Sep 8 2014, 4:34pm

Post #6 of 10 (591 views)
Shortcut
Sooner! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, I guess we'll know for sure in oh... 70 days or so?Smile

Sooner than you think, its just ticked under 56 days for the 3rd of November in Europe (57 days for the 4th of November in USA).

Even earlier if reviews mention the details.

sycorax82
Rohan

Sep 8 2014, 11:25pm

Post #7 of 10 (527 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure they will just gloss over this, in the Theatrical version at least [In reply to] Can't Post

I am hoping that in the EE Gandalf will tell Thorin at some point.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 9 2014, 3:12am

Post #8 of 10 (526 views)
Shortcut
There is a QUICK FlashBack of only 6 shots lasting about 20 seconds.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin Spots the Windlance on TOP of the Master's Cambers in Bard's House...
Bilbo's asks something ...

Balin Narrates a QUICK FlashBack of
Girion Trying to Shoot down Smaug

Quickly Edited..(LOOK for this next Time..)

Gandalf in The Prancing Pony Stares Blankly @ Thorin
"UP pops up Thrain giving him the Map & Key"
as...Predicted by DJU above^^^

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Sep 9 2014, 3:17am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 9 2014, 3:37am

Post #9 of 10 (495 views)
Shortcut
Suddenly it seems so near [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sooner than you think, its just ticked under 56 days for the 3rd of November in Europe (57 days for the 4th of November in USA).

Even earlier if reviews mention the details.

SmileTime does fly... *crosses fingers*

=======

moreorless
Gondor

Sep 14 2014, 10:33am

Post #10 of 10 (400 views)
Shortcut
It would fit in with the previous openings... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Whilst none of the conclusions are new it is a very good read to anyone wanting to see them all together and clearly explained.

The only thing it is missing is regarding the potential Thrain subplot in the EE is the possibility of a flashback during the opening scene in the Prancing Pony.

During the scene Gandalf says
"Thorin, it's been a long time since anything but rumor was heard of Thrain."
It these cuts to Thorin
"He still lives. I am sure of it."

However when it cuts back to Gandalf he is a staring as if he is recalling something. And is disturbed out of this by Betsy Buterbur/Katie Jackson. (See Picture)
http://screencapped.net/...73#top_display_media

Thorin then asks what Gandalf said when he saw Thrain

Its seems pretty clear something like a flash back has been cut likely of the meeting of Gandalf and Train and maybe more of Azanulbizar/Moria?

Whilst I enjoyed the opening to DOS as it was I felt it was notable that compared to all the previous Jackson prolongs it was lacking in obvious drama/action.

You could I spose argue it didn't need to be as much with Azog on the companies trail and Beorn turning up in bear form quite early in the film but still it is a clear shift.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.