Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Books about the first trilogy (art, weapons, etc.)

Brucewayne75

Sep 7 2014, 12:11am

Post #1 of 7 (2362 views)
Shortcut
Books about the first trilogy (art, weapons, etc.) Can't Post

Hey guys and girls. I'm preordering the books that have been announced for the third hobbit movie and realized I don't have any books on the first trilogy of movies. Could you pros offer some suggestions? Thanks!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 7 2014, 2:30pm

Post #2 of 7 (2130 views)
Shortcut
Weapons and Warfare [In reply to] Can't Post

The only such book that I have for the LotR films is The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare by Chris Smith. It is an excellent reference tome and I highly recommend it.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Name
Rohan

Sep 7 2014, 3:28pm

Post #3 of 7 (2095 views)
Shortcut
I'll second that suggestion! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's an extremely beautifully put-together book.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 7 2014, 3:40pm

Post #4 of 7 (2129 views)
Shortcut
Three main 'overview' series of books [In reply to] Can't Post

In the order I value them - highest to lower

-------

Gary Russell, The Art of....
The Art of the FOTR
The Art of the TTT
The Art of the ROTK
The Art of LOTR

These have lots of concept drawings of costumes, weapons, props, etc. Nice if you're into that sort of thing. I've enjoyed them.

-------

Brian Sibley
The LOTR Official Movie Guide
LOTR The Making of the Movie Trilogy
plus others...

(I might have had Sibley''s "The FOTR Insider's Guide".. if it's the one I'm thinking of, it was pretty simple and I have gotten rid of it. The one I'm thinking of may have been this one. I got it at Target and it was pretty and exciting to have right off the bat... but so much other stuff that came later was much better.)

These are kind of a general overview of the movies. They are nicely bound and have great images... some movie/promo shots... and some concept drawings. Russell's books are more indepth on the subject they cover.

-------

Jude Fisher
The Lord of the Rings Complete Visual Companion
The Fellowship of the Ring Visual Companion
The Two Towers Visual Companion
The Return of The King Visual Companion

These are really for the neophyte fan and/or the fanatic completionist. They are nicely bound and have great images but not a lot of content that a moderately serious fan would find that exciting or illuminating. If you found them cheap and had the room to shelve them, I'd recommend them. But if you're picking from the plethora, I'd go with others first.

-------

It looks like there are some by David Brawn I haven't seen (it looks like an official tie in series). A photo guide doesn't sound that exciting but the one on creatures could be.

-----

There are some specialized books like the one Otaku recommended. Additionally, there are Andy Serkis' book on Gollum, Sean Astin's book on his experiences of filming the trilogy, and Kristin Thompson's book "The Frodo Franchise" on the marketing of the movies.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 7 2014, 3:42pm)

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Sep 10 2014, 3:22am

Post #5 of 7 (2079 views)
Shortcut
This!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic book. When you read it its as if you are reading real history!

Fichtenbrenner
Bree

Sep 16 2014, 8:34pm

Post #6 of 7 (2005 views)
Shortcut
Is there anything in these books ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that wasn't also shown in the extras of the SEE-DVDs/BRDs?

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 9:34pm

Post #7 of 7 (2137 views)
Shortcut
Not sure I can accurately answer [In reply to] Can't Post

It's sure an easier format to access. That is, if I want to look for info on costumes, it's easier for me to pull down one of these books than to figure out which appendices disc it *might* be on then navigate to the right feature or gallery and do a bunch of fast fowarding or browsing.

I actually have tried to access information for various discussions here or for personal reasons so I've done both... look in the books and on the DVDs. If everything in the book was all on the DVD somewhere, I'd still think the books had their own advantage.

You're also asking me to assess a number of books and that's not something I can do (since I don't know off hand and I don't have all those books).

I would wager that there is content in those books that is not available on the DVDs. But I can't verify it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.