The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A lot less information released

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 6 2014, 11:40am

Post #1 of 13 (1619 views)
Shortcut
A lot less information released Can't Post

We are three months out from the finale and it seems like there has only been a fraction of the information via video blog, interviews, etc. from what we have had in the past. Is it by design to build anticipation?

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 6 2014, 12:23pm

Post #2 of 13 (965 views)
Shortcut
Next month I expect it to be ramping up [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, next month we're getting a new "full length" trailer, and most likely a lot of new images/character posters, and come November books will start being released, and around October new BOTFA merchandise is coming, so....

But yeah, kinda lackluster how it feels like there is no anticipation whatsoever for BOTFA. Unsure Aside from fan sites like TORn, no one seems to be as excited as us, which is to be expected, but on other sites and such you don't see "Oh yeah, I'm really looking forward to BOTFA!" Ah well, I know I'm anxiously awaiting it!

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 6 2014, 4:41pm

Post #3 of 13 (884 views)
Shortcut
Think WB is 1) cost-cutting and 2) being very careful - needs the cash [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd read an article where WB is looking hard at its future, as the company wants to stay on top. Off Topic has an article on WB layoffs. Then there's:

http://variety.com/...strategy-1201221572/

Kudos to a company willing to hold off on a film release if needed - I think even Hobbit 3 was pushed back?
Sigh - tho a company cutting costs - either they will have a huge PR campaign - or not. They may have a huge PR campaign to get people in seats $$$ so there will be a cash cushion next year - e.g., the articles I read are basically saying the often-envied WB at the moment doesn't have, after this year, any kind of cash cow franchise, while the Disney juggernaut seems to have rallied.

But there's the over-saturation danger and/or getting buried by Hunger Games PR. Last year thought Hunger Games had more pricey PR. I'm gonna guess that WB is gonna take very good care of BOFA, to maximize more or less sure-thing profits (along with letting folks goMad) but as has been said will be stripped down DVD. LOL maybe the DVD/BR will be in paper envelopes or something. In the U.S. the black design is already on the cheap end of the printing scale w. no color.Unimpressed

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Kim
Valinor

Sep 6 2014, 5:41pm

Post #4 of 13 (815 views)
Shortcut
I really hope [In reply to] Can't Post

we don't get a stripped down DVD. I don't mind the black and white discs or minimal packaging, but don't want them to skimp on the actual content (especially extras). Frown On the plus side, I get a weekly mail from Fandango, and in this week's there was a section about signing up to get notified when Hobbit tickets go on sale, so at least they're starting to think about it!

And as LordotRings93 says, we should start seeing things ramping up next month, so looking forward to that!

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

glor
Rohan

Sep 6 2014, 7:41pm

Post #5 of 13 (781 views)
Shortcut
Huge PR [In reply to] Can't Post

is only possible when the major stars of the movie are available or, contractually obliged to do it. Two of the major Hobbit stars were unavailable for ComicCon for the same reason they are not free until mid-September, they are on stage in London.

RA and Martin haven't been around to maintain any PR momentum, to attend panels at conventions,etc however, the critical success and the showing of a filmed version of The Crucible later this year, could add to the BOTFA PR machine and there is also the matter of the prestigious Evening Standard Theatre awards in November ( The Crucible will undoubtably, get some nominations).

When PJ and the team finish BOTFA, when the cast are available and WB can rely on major cast members to be available for the media circus then and only then, should the PR machine go full tilt.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 6 2014, 9:07pm

Post #6 of 13 (727 views)
Shortcut
For me the associated art is a HUGE thing [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think, in a lot of areas where the actors may be unfamiliar, like the trailers the art is pretty critical. So, from Comic Con looks like there is one banner done - but psst haven't heard from ANYONE there were there spoilers in the banner or something?Frown

Or maybe the banner will get re-done anyway. Anyway WB's art IMO has been mixed and sloppy - sometimes fantastic, other times "meh*.Unsure So far liking the Bilbo poster and the CC poster. In the meantime, fans are already at work.Cool Hopefully the BOFA artwork was already underway BEFORE WB started any more cost cutting, because graphic art costs.Unimpressed

PS. LOL your sig - will be a real test of some of the tar-like mascara I have.Cool If nothing else I can write testimonials.....Laugh

Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 6 2014, 9:33pm

Post #7 of 13 (696 views)
Shortcut
Good point Kim but [In reply to] Can't Post

Another thing that worries me - is evidently there IS a difference in DVD/BR physical quality, re the longevity of the disk and the manufacturing. E.g hope the actual disks are reasonable....Unimpressed

Tho more and more stuff is going to clouds for storage and download, which I personally hate. I can buy duplicate disks and do, so if a disk is damaged and I am in the mood to watch a film my evening isn't spoiled. I can't (probably) fix a bad 'net connection and deal with streaming stuff, if something goes wrong. I LIKE hard media.Unimpressed

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Sep 7 2014, 1:00am

Post #8 of 13 (619 views)
Shortcut
I assume these are all fan pics? They are fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I particularly love the Thorin one....but then, I'm a bit biased! I also love the first one with the dwarves on their war pigs!!! Or rather, war boars! Beautiful stuff! Thanks for posting!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Sep 7 2014, 2:03am

Post #9 of 13 (630 views)
Shortcut
Full-length trailer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this a confirmed thing for next month or are you just expecting one?

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 7 2014, 2:19am

Post #10 of 13 (597 views)
Shortcut
Yes, all fan art! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you like themSmile! Just strolling through the 'net easy to see how PJ's Middle Earth has fired the imagination of artists and craftspeople. I cannot believe what some "fans" are able to create, along with some amazing photo-shopping or other software....just seems a shame when unpaid fans can put out better work at times than whoever WB hires at times.

Well - we don't KNOW that these are dwarves - LOL someone is missing!

And OK, I'm happily biased as well, so:

These are "fan art?"HeartHeartHeartShocked

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 7 2014, 8:33am

Post #11 of 13 (564 views)
Shortcut
Hm [In reply to] Can't Post

We probably get less production diaries because there is simply less to show that would not be too spoilers. PJ doesn't seem to release them just for the sake of it but when he thinks they are worth releasing.

For all the other stuff... I think it is good the way they handle it. The teaser did exactly that - teasing - got a lot of views and movies to go with at the cinema.

Lionsgate is doing something similar with the Mockingjay movie... No overload of posters etc.

I assume the bug marketing time for the third movie will start with the trailer release in October.

I don't think they will be able to create much more anticipation right now with more posters and stuff. Maybe for fans... But not the general audience.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 7 2014, 8:35am)

Farficom
Rivendell

Sep 7 2014, 6:11pm

Post #12 of 13 (505 views)
Shortcut
Something tells me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter & company are trying to build up anticipation for the final Middle-earth move possibly ever by not giving us too much. I mean last year it did get kind of crazy with all the stuff coming out both early & often.

MEIGWIT
Bree

Sep 8 2014, 9:55pm

Post #13 of 13 (397 views)
Shortcut
This article will explain it all very clearly [In reply to] Can't Post

Worst year at the box office in a long long time:

http://news.doddleme.com/television-news/warner-bros-will-layoff-staff-throughout-company/

It is the little things in life that keep the darkness at bay.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.