Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS Chapter of the Week (CHOW) Sign-up for September 2014!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 12:40am

Post #1 of 45 (1197 views)
Shortcut
DOS Chapter of the Week (CHOW) Sign-up for September 2014! Can't Post

Hello, all!

Chapter of the Week (CHOW) is an ongoing discussion on The Hobbit movies. Currently, we're in the heart of The Desolation of Smaug. This time around, the four volunteers are:

16. Weekend of September 5th - The Nature Of Evil: Lurker in the Mirk
01:02:05 - 01:05:29

XX. Weekend of September 12th - One Year of CHOW: A Special Anniversary Thread *Stay tuned--details to come!!* ----> Hosted by cats16 and DanielLB

17. Weekend of September 19th - Smuggled Cargo: Kim
01:05:29 - 01:09:06

18. Weekend of September 26th - Lake-Town: boldog
01:09:06 - 01:11:29

19. Weekend of October 3rd - The Master Of Lake-town: Faleel
01:11:29 - 01:13:11

To avoid any confusion, the approximate start and end times are given. Each host will make one thread each week on their chosen film chapter (ideally during the weekend - anytime between Friday to Sunday inclusive).

Please do not post a CHOW thread unless you have already signed up, or notified cats16 or DanielLB first. We will return to the extended edition of the film in the future. In the meantime, all chapter titles refer to the theatrical version only.

Volunteers choose their chapter on a first-come-first-serve basis, so get in there quickly if you want to host a particular chapter. If you have already hosted a CHOW, you are more than welcome to volunteer again, but be sure to give everyone an opportunity to host first. Just respond to this thread with which chapter you would like to host. If you miss this sign-up, don't worry! There are plenty of chapters left. If in doubt which chapter is which, consult your DVD (hopefully you own it, or PM either cats16 or DanielLB.)

Each person will be assigned a DVD chapter, seen above. For your chosen chapter, we will leave the discussion up to you! It really is an open book, so we don't want to restrict anyone. Some suggestions might be:

- The use of CGI in the scene (or even HFR, if you can remember what it was like)
- The score and the soundtrack
- The props, sets and landscapes in the scene
- The costumes we see in the film
- The actors and acting
- General scene setups
- Differences from book
- A comparison with animated film
- A comparison with The Lord of the Rings films

You can ask as little or as many questions as you like. Have fun, and enjoy!

You can also choose screencaps for your part, and we recommend this website. Magpie has provided an excellent tutorial in image posting on TORn that can be found here. Please also make sure all screencaps stay within TORn's Term of Service (see 2.20).

When posting your thread, please include "Chapter of the Week: [Insert Chapter Title Here]", so that they are easy to find on a rather fast moving board.

We hope you enjoy all the discussions.

Smile

DanielLB & cats16

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Sep 5 2014, 4:20pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 5 2014, 2:19am

Post #2 of 45 (688 views)
Shortcut
woah... talk about late eh =P [In reply to] Can't Post

Was just coming in to ask "Where's Gandalf and his wizard's creed about appointments?" Tongue but saw this:

In Reply To
16. Weekend of September 5th - The Nature Of Evil (very short notice, we know; jump on it quick if interested!)
01:02:05 - 01:05:29

So... is this... what I think it is? Terribly short notice for sureUnimpressed Eh, wouldn't want to deprive another one the chance to lead such a glorious chapter, but well, if no one else will take this, I'll do it. Will check in tomorrow for the raffle results I guess.

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI
(Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 2:28am

Post #3 of 45 (681 views)
Shortcut
Hehe, yeah. [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to post it couple of days ago, but forgot to actually make the post! Ah well, I knew we would have volunteers enthralled by the first chapter. Evil

Ok, we'll see if anyone else shows interest in the next twelve or so hours. It's yours, otherwise. Smile

Kim
Valinor

Sep 5 2014, 2:32am

Post #4 of 45 (672 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, maybe I should take that one [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha, jk, I'll leave that one for a Thranduil Thrall. May I have September 19th - Smuggled Cargo?

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 2:50am

Post #5 of 45 (662 views)
Shortcut
You betcha. [In reply to] Can't Post

All yours! I'll update the list in a few hours.

I need to catch up on all of the CHOW weeks I've missed. BlackFox will be happy to hear that I've done one today, already! Just not hers. Evil

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 2:55am

Post #6 of 45 (662 views)
Shortcut
This goes without saying... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll mention it anyway:

New volunteers are absolutely welcome to step forward and ask to host a chapter! If you're hesitant to reply to the thread, feel free to send me a PM with questions/concerns you have.

I know how nerve-wracking it feels to volunteer for the first time. Once you've done it, it becomes much easier--and fun. We've had plenty of styles in past posts, none of which were criticized or chided in their approach. Everyone sees and thinks about movies a little differently; we embrace this, and hope to see it come through in your post!

*gets off of soapbox* *trips on way down* *sprains knee*

Smile

Kim
Valinor

Sep 5 2014, 2:55am

Post #7 of 45 (663 views)
Shortcut
Cool, thx [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to seeing what you and Daniel are putting together for the anniversary thread! Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 2:59am

Post #8 of 45 (659 views)
Shortcut
A Festivus for the rest of us. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! Can't believe it's already a week away. Angelic

Kim
Valinor

Sep 5 2014, 3:07am

Post #9 of 45 (651 views)
Shortcut
But Festivus is in December! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're not going to include the "Airing of Grievances" are we? Tongue

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 3:11am

Post #10 of 45 (656 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

So true, lol! Should we wait a couple of months? Wink

And let's not even think about the pole. UnimpressedSly

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 5 2014, 5:14am

Post #11 of 45 (643 views)
Shortcut
If you are unable to find a volunteer for The Master of Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be glad to help out and take it. Obviously if you can find a bright eyed newbie who wants it by all means let them have it, I wouldn't want to ruin their fun.Cool But if you lack volunteers count on me as backup. Smile

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Sep 5 2014, 5:26am)

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 5:24am

Post #12 of 45 (644 views)
Shortcut
The Master, for Daughter. [In reply to] Can't Post

Great! Thanks, looking forward to it. Smile

boldog
Rohan

Sep 5 2014, 6:17am

Post #13 of 45 (642 views)
Shortcut
Im back [In reply to] Can't Post

unfortunately, there are no Azog/Bolg scenes here Frown
But I really enjoyed doing this last time, so im gonna see if i can do it again.
Can I do smuggled cargo or Laketown? I would prefer smuggled cargo, but it all depends on whats available. Lol gives me some homework to do Wink

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 6:23am

Post #14 of 45 (636 views)
Shortcut
Ok, let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim has already inquired about Smuggled Cargo. I'll let you two talk out what works best for both of you, once she sees this. Smile

boldog
Rohan

Sep 5 2014, 8:02am

Post #15 of 45 (631 views)
Shortcut
well if thats the case [In reply to] Can't Post

then can i do laketown?

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 8:46am

Post #16 of 45 (637 views)
Shortcut
Not fair! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I need to catch up on all of the CHOW weeks I've missed. BlackFox will be happy to hear that I've done one today, already! Just not hers. Evil

Getting my hopes up for nothing! Frown

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 8:50am

Post #17 of 45 (625 views)
Shortcut
A Special Anniversary Thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the sound of that! Looking forward to it. SmileTongue

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 9:14am

Post #18 of 45 (611 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't want to push for anything, so if that's okay for you, it's okay for me. Smile

An update coming in a few hours, after I start my three-night LOTR marathon.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 9:17am

Post #19 of 45 (619 views)
Shortcut
Better late than never, as a TORnsib once told me. [In reply to] Can't Post

EvilCool

It'll happen...just not now--FOTR (the EE, as I don't have the TE handy) is calling me. Angelic

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 9:55am

Post #20 of 45 (618 views)
Shortcut
And who on Middle-earth could that have been? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It'll happen...just not now--FOTR (the EE, as I don't have the TE handy) is calling me. Angelic

Alright, this is an excuse I can accept. But don't make me wait too long or I may lose my cool and do something wild. EvilTongue

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 11:29am

Post #21 of 45 (614 views)
Shortcut
I have to ask... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pray tell, what does the fox say?* We wants to know, precious! Cool

Whew, the one universal excuse on TORn that is a guaranteed get-out-of-jail-free card. This post is coming from the fairly convenient bathroom break moment after "Where are we going?" after the Council. Well, back to it, I suppose. Can't keep creepy Bilbo waiting to terrify me for the 500th time forever!

*And the cat clearly goes 'meow.'

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 5 2014, 11:33am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 11:38am

Post #22 of 45 (606 views)
Shortcut
I thought this was common knowledge [In reply to] Can't Post

http://fc03.deviantart.net/...galendae-d6yb50l.jpg

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 1:51pm

Post #23 of 45 (597 views)
Shortcut
Ah, well... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least now I know what the fox in FOTR did to keep busy after hearing he was cut from the film.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 2:46pm

Post #24 of 45 (594 views)
Shortcut
Update on available chapters. [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone new to CHOW would like to volunteer, please let me know and I will switch you out with Daughter of Laketown for The Master of Lake-town (October 3rd).

Other than that, we are filled in (again, if new participants are eager to lead, PM me and we can talk!) for September. The OP will be edited soon to list each member's name with their date.

Thanks, everyone!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 5 2014, 2:52pm

Post #25 of 45 (598 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Some complain about Tauriel, some about Faramir taking the hobbits to Osgiliath, but leaving the fox out is the one thing I will never be able to forgive PJ.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.