The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Checking in after hiatus, quick update.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Sep 9 2014, 1:08am

Post #26 of 31 (537 views)
Shortcut
Do we have the next Tolkien or Martin in our midst? :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Rux, that's really awesome about your book. You're an inspiration to all of your fellow dreamers here at TORn. Just finishing a novel is a pretty major accomplishment. I wish you much success with all the other hurdles you have in front of you. Keep us posted!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2014, 5:41pm

Post #27 of 31 (530 views)
Shortcut
In our midst? maybe somewhere...*looks around* ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you TGE! Smile

next Tolkien or Martin, oh boy!Blush Laugh

Speaking of those authors, I should rename myself Ruxendil Roorg, just so I could have the initials R.R. somewhere! Laugh

Things overheard during games of chess in Middle-earth:

Galadriel (any and every time she advances her pawn to the last row): "In its place you would have a QUEEN!!!!" (thunder booms)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 9 2014, 7:55pm

Post #28 of 31 (526 views)
Shortcut
Best of luck Rux! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an achievement you are accomplishing. I wish you all the luck in the world.

So if one of your characters is named after yourself, are there any other influences in your book (friends, family, TORn users Wink)? Do you find it difficult to completely separate book characters from real life characters?

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2014, 10:08pm

Post #29 of 31 (522 views)
Shortcut
Thank you good sir! [In reply to] Can't Post

And an intriguing question, DanielLB. Actually, the character is not really named after me. I first came up with the name before conceiving of the story and before starting to use it as a nickname on message forums. It was initially a name for my player character in an RPG game. The book character is far removed from me, except that his motivations, choices, etc., come from my imagination.

Similarly, my other characters don't really come from anyone I know in real life, including anyone here (sorry if that might be disappointing LaughTongueWink). There are influences in my book from real life, yes, but no character is a direct doppelganger of anyone real in my life, not intentionally or consciously. I borrowed someone's speech pattern for a character, but from no one here. I like to think that I've gained inspiration, insights on storytelling/storywriting, writing practice, and a sharpened wit thanks to participating here on TORn (I mean to say so in the Acknowledgements section), but not basis for any character specifically.

So for me, I haven't found any difficulty separating book characters from real life people.

Thanks for your thoughtful, cleverly probing questions Wink and your good wishes! -RT

Galadriel (any and every time she advances her pawn to the last row): "In its place you would have a QUEEN!!!!" (thunder booms)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2014, 2:03am

Post #30 of 31 (520 views)
Shortcut
*waves* Hey there RT! [In reply to] Can't Post

CoolGood to see you! And many congrats! Angelic

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2014, 4:28pm

Post #31 of 31 (509 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Brethil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to see you too! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.