Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Okay? How about Gloin & Gimli?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 1:55pm

Post #1 of 7 (781 views)
Shortcut
Okay? How about Gloin & Gimli? Can't Post

For PJ... to be consistent with FOTR
(The Council of Elrond)

Gimli's Famous line.."NEVER Trust an Elf".
There MUST be some BETRAYAL
of his Father by the Elves.

Any Ideas what that could be in BOT5A?

WE have an Hint in Mirkwood when Leggy looks @
Gloin's wife & Gilmi's picturezz, but that
Can't be enough.

There seems to some Resentment that has
Lasted 60 years...SOooo, this leads Bomby
to Believe after the Battle, or during it...
Something causes this long-held Distrust?

THis should be quite interesting what your thoughts are about this mystery.
Because this "Never Trust an Elf" line, & Gimli's "Slow Burn" to have to work with Leggy's thoughout the LOTR,
MUST be SOME kinda Sub-Plot
not seen yet.

Ideas & speculations?

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Sep 4 2014, 1:55pm)

Snowghost77
Lorien

Sep 4 2014, 2:02pm

Post #2 of 7 (457 views)
Shortcut
I always thought.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was from the fact that the elves imprisoned them without any real reason. And the fact that thranduil turned his back on erebor during a time of need, which I imagined all dwarves know and heard about all around.
Who knows what PJ will do...you would think that maybe the animosity would have been slightly lifted at the BO5A, so you may be right to think there might be some small slight between the races at the end...or maybe it will be on a much more personal level.
Keen observation there.....interesting for sure to see if they tie that in while delving into the reasoning behind said line.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 4 2014, 2:50pm

Post #3 of 7 (359 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I assumed it was a long held grudge from when Thranduil betrays them that Gimli was just repeating.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Sep 4 2014, 2:50pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 3:07pm

Post #4 of 7 (337 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Gloin is Really Good @ "Grudge"zzz.? [In reply to] Can't Post

When they first arrive @ Rivendale..
IT's Gloin who Miss-Interpetes
Elrond's Elvish Invitation..

"What is he saying..
Does He offers us..Insults?"

Gandalf: "no he is offering us FOOD."

But...THERE needs to be a Reminder for the Audience

Late in this Film,
For a FRESH..
"Bridge Effect"
from BOT5A
to FOTR..

Try harder to create your Ideas..about WHY?
Gloin & Especially Thorin..
STILL HATE, Elves 60 years later.

Is it jus' Dwavish Stubborness?

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Sep 4 2014, 3:09pm)

Snowghost77
Lorien

Sep 4 2014, 6:34pm

Post #5 of 7 (259 views)
Shortcut
AHA!.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think your on to something Bomby...it was after all legolas who personally insulted Gloin's wife by calling her a man, then his son by calling him a goblin mutant. ...man I love that scene! brilliantly acted by both Mr. Hambleton and Mr. Bloom.
So I think your right...Gloin had good reason to hold a grudge, which he in turn passed on to Gimli. Pretty awesome how if so, the one who started the personal animosity ( Legolas) is the one who befriends the little "goblin mutant" forming a lasting bond beyond all imagination, so much so to even sail together long after the war of the Ring. Everything comes full circle. Love conquers all.
Peace.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

Rickster
Rohan

Sep 7 2014, 9:42pm

Post #6 of 7 (69 views)
Shortcut
let's hope they will not be in this movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 8 2014, 3:24pm

Post #7 of 7 (46 views)
Shortcut
Who? [In reply to] Can't Post

Rickster posted:

let's hope they will not be in this movie

Well, Gloin is a given as he is already a member of Thorin's company. I don't see anyone seriously suggesting that Gimli or his mother are going to make an appearance, so I'm not quite sure what you mean.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.