The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Early script drafts?

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Sep 3 2014, 7:31pm

Post #1 of 9 (1508 views)
Shortcut
Early script drafts? Can't Post

Has there been anything said about differences in early versions of the script that were altered in the final draft? I am very intrigued about the evolutions of movie scripts. One of my favorites to look at is the notorious Star Wars: Episode I. That film is known for its badness, but the first draft of the script is actually good. If you're a Star Wars fan, I highly recommend that you look it up. Anyway, I've always been interested in what the Hobbit scripts looked like before the current version. How different was it when GDT was involved? Did they completely rewrite it after he left? Were the original drafts more interesting? Does anyone know anything about other versions of the script?

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 3 2014, 8:44pm

Post #2 of 9 (943 views)
Shortcut
I think.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... some of these versions would be nice to see. The most interesting imho would be the two movie LotR treatment from the Miramax days that made so many people believe in the project.

I would prefer any GDT versions, designs and casting ideas to stay secret for quite a while. Right now, this would cause unnecessary quarrels and would surely lead to unfair judgments... For both, PJ and GDT's versions.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 3 2014, 8:45pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 4 2014, 4:37am

Post #3 of 9 (805 views)
Shortcut
From Book to Script [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still disappointed with the new way they organize the Hobbit EE Appendices. I always loved watching the "From Book to Script" featurettes, but for some reason they didn't include anything like that this time around. There also aren't specific featurettes dedicated to Tolkien, the editing process, or the sound effects. And only now with the DoS EE are we getting one focusing on Howard Shore and the music. I know they touch on certain script decisions in the AUJ commentary, but it's just not the same.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Sep 4 2014, 4:38am)

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 4 2014, 8:25am

Post #4 of 9 (699 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

The Tolkien documentaries on the LotR DVDs are rather complete though and also include the Hobbits at several points in time.Since they belong together I think it would have been a bit redundant to repeat stuff there, as they already offered basically a complete biography.

Editing and sound effects... Was there a whole featurette on them back in LotR days? They showed a lot of the sound effect people's work in connection to Goblin Town.

But yes, I guess the new structure is a taste thing, I find them to be more logical in many ways now and find it easier to find stuff again personally. They also do touch on the book to script stuff for the singular scenes, not just the commentary.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 4 2014, 8:27am)

adt100
Rohan

Sep 4 2014, 11:57am

Post #5 of 9 (631 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on those points! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the introduction of the AUJ EE PJ mentions the numbering of the appendices so that they follow on from the LOTR EE's. However, whilst to overall amount of content and individual quality is of a similar level to the LOTR EE's, they are certainly not as well organised and there seems less breadth in the features. It is a lot more a case of many regular 'behind the scenes' features stretched across the discs. :/

pettytyrant101
Lorien

Sep 4 2014, 12:08pm

Post #6 of 9 (627 views)
Shortcut
There is no Book to script [In reply to] Can't Post

section as all it would consist of would be a very short documentary in which they set fire to the book.

"A lot of our heroes depress me. But when they made this particular hero they didn't give him a gun, they gave him a screwdriver so he could fix things. They didn't give him a tank, or a warship, or an x-wing fighter, they gave him a call box from which you can call for help. And they didn't give him a superpower, or pointy ears or a heat ray, they gave him an extra heart. And that's an extraordinary thing.
There will never come a time when we don't need a hero like the Doctor."- Steven Moffat

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 4 2014, 12:22pm

Post #7 of 9 (618 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely disagree... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I find the structure to be quite genuine and on a similar level to LotR. Sometimes even more intuitive (especially when one is looking for information on a certain scene or character... While I love the LotR extras the information on certain things was sometimes all over the place).

It's a matter of taste imho. Still without a serious contender when it comes to DVD extras though.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 4 2014, 12:26pm)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 4 2014, 1:31pm

Post #8 of 9 (591 views)
Shortcut
i love the new layout [In reply to] Can't Post

Much more straightforward and easier to navigate. Love the LOTR appendices, but the menus can get a little confusing sometimes (well, not anymore to me, but for a first time watcher of them back in the day....) I like how the filming process is in order scene-wise, but also, I agree I would've loved to see Book To Script, my favorite parts of the LOTR appendices, really, and why they changed what they changed. Although they kinda do explain some of the changes, like why they kept Azog alive (a villain for Thorin and to add tension), and again, no need for a Tolkien appendix, since they basically covered everything in the LOTR ones, and they'd be treading old ground again. Remember, these appendices are continuing off LOTR, so no need to do what they already did.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

adt100
Rohan

Sep 4 2014, 2:56pm

Post #9 of 9 (570 views)
Shortcut
Definitely a matter of taste... [In reply to] Can't Post

But also familiarity. I've always been one for consistency and that change for the sake of change (sorry for the inadvertent para-phrasing of another famous fantasy series) is oft best avoided. I was hoping/expecting for pretty much the exact same format we had in the LOTR EE's and this isn't quite the case.

With the former, I felt like the appendices, as with the book, were a huge sprawling affair with many sections and sub sections covering every aspect of the film-making. With AUJ it may be more intutive, but somehow more just a straightforward collection of features which maybe flow better together but I prefer the LOTR structure. :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.