Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you have a Facebook and/or Twitter account?
Poll: Do you have a Facebook and/or Twitter account?
Facebook
Twitter
Both
Neither
View Results (55 votes)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 3 2014, 1:43am

Post #1 of 22 (583 views)
Shortcut
Do you have a Facebook and/or Twitter account? Can't Post

There may have been a similar thread, but it was a while back, so I'll post another one (if that's okay). I have both. I'm not sure about Facebook, but I've had my Twitter account since April 2009. I orginally joined to keep tabs on the Swine Flu outbreak (since I don't watch local news much, so it was a good way to keep up on what was happening in my neck of the woods). Here's the links in case anyone wants to either send me a friend request or follow my tweets (when I get some more in there, that is):

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/queenoferebor

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/seamistress

Although I don't mind if it's displayed elsewhere, I don't like to use my real name as usernames (too dangerous). Back in the day when I joined Twitter, they didn't display your real name like they do now (it was smaller), and you couldn't add a header. While we're on the subject, I rarely use actual pictures of myself as my profile picture (except for Facebook, since it was the only picture big enough to fit, and the one decent picture that I have of myself, all the others pretty much suck).

So, how many of you RA fans that have Twitter accounts are now following him (you didn't think I would start a thread like this without mentioning this, did you)? I still haven't gotten up the nerve yet, since I'm extremely bashful when it comes to writing any kind of fan mail, and the more I like the person, the more I'll put this off. And sorry if I turn this thread into yet another RA/Thorin appreciation thread, it can't be helped.Wink

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Sep 3 2014, 10:11pm)

Kim
Valinor

Sep 3 2014, 2:12am

Post #2 of 22 (426 views)
Shortcut
Just Facebook for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Although yes, I am quite tempted to join Twitter now. Evil So far, I've been content to just read the tweets and enjoy the goofy photos.

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Sep 3 2014, 5:35am

Post #3 of 22 (407 views)
Shortcut
I have both [In reply to] Can't Post

I have both, for different reasons. I started on Twitter to keep up on the news and certain groups, but I'm started to use it more and more. I love when groups live tweet things like conventions. I started following RA and a few of the others. I love reading Graham McTavish's tweets. I even like Twitter because here in San Diego County I can stay up to date on the traffic, which is nice. I just don't tweet much commentary of my own as I'm shy about posting, too.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 3 2014, 6:03am

Post #4 of 22 (405 views)
Shortcut
I actually have a Twitter account, but I've never tweeted. [In reply to] Can't Post

I signed up several years ago, and immediately a bunch of people I never heard of started following me, and I freaked out and never used it. I have been on a few times to track continuing crises (e.g. Boston Marathon bombing manhunt).

I use FB a lot, though. I keep in touch with remote relatives and long-lost school friends, as well as current friends and issues of interest.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Sep 3 2014, 6:04am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2014, 6:26am

Post #5 of 22 (399 views)
Shortcut
Facebook. [In reply to] Can't Post

I use it mainly for keeping up with the things i'm interested in like movies, news, politics, video games, and culture in general. I also use it to message some of my friends, because it's easier to type on my laptop than it is on my phone, and texts cost money.

I've never paid any attention to twitter.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2014, 6:40am

Post #6 of 22 (398 views)
Shortcut
Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried Twitter, but it just seemed too chaotic. Maybe I just needed to get used to it, but meh. Tongue

I use Facebook to stay in touch with my friends, most of whom live abroad. I also follow certain journalists and various pages of interest. It can be annoying, but, for now at least, it's worth the hassle.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 3 2014, 7:07am

Post #7 of 22 (390 views)
Shortcut

I use Facebook quite often, mostly for the communicative aspects (as opposed to news/blogging/etc.). I also have a Twitter account, but my actual tweeting frequency has dropped significantly in the last couple of years. I realized that anything I really wanted to say would need much more than 140 characters. Plus, most people wouldn't want to read the kind of stuff I write about. Nearly all of my time on Twitter these days is for news-gathering and networking with people in my field.

Both have their significant issues--such is the Internet. I think would be folly, however, simply to dismiss them entirely. Like Sam, one may find the brilliant light of goodness in the dark Mordors of the Internet.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 3 2014, 8:52am

Post #8 of 22 (395 views)
Shortcut
I have both. [In reply to] Can't Post

But that doesn't mean I actively use them.

I rarely post on Facebook, and it's mainly there so that I can keep up with immediate family members and others further afield (and vise versa). I do go on it daily to play Scrabble with my Grandma. We have fun.

I was "forced" (encouraged ...) to join Twitter. Since scientists are slammed for being unable to communicate science to the general public, you're encouraged to use Twitter to spread your research in a simple and easy way. If you're doing interesting science then I'm not sure you need Twitter, since there will always be interest. Today's generation seem to be able to communicate science better than the older generation as well. I've never tweeted.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 3 2014, 9:06am

Post #9 of 22 (383 views)
Shortcut
Only Facebook // [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Sep 3 2014, 11:14am

Post #10 of 22 (375 views)
Shortcut
No and no. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still trying to master the art of email. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 3 2014, 11:45am

Post #11 of 22 (381 views)
Shortcut
I follow four people on Twitter [In reply to] Can't Post

and pretty much never tweet.

I follow Doug Adams, the city's snow emergency department (move your cars or loose them!), the local second run theater, and a past TORn board member who never tweets. If she tweeted a lot... I'd probably unfollow her! :-)

I would use it for announcements I'm interested in. If I was found more entities that made announcements. For example, I was following a local ice cream shop that would tweet its specialty soft serve flavor of the week but they went out of business.

I think it's hilarious that I have 21 Followers when I don't tweet. And if I'm tempted to tweet (I'm most often tempted to tweet a cool sunset or storm picture), I figure none of them will be interested and I shouldn't bother them.

No Facebook. No Instagram. No other 'social media'.

I like Richard but what is he tweeting that is interesting? I just looked. This stuff just isn't that interesting to me. I get how people love social media but it's not my cuppa.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2014, 11:52am

Post #12 of 22 (365 views)
Shortcut

I use both to varying degrees. Facebook is mostly to keep up with my kids and various relatives. Twitter is where I keep up with news and only a few celebrities. I stopped following some as I really didn't want to know about their political/religious beliefs, although if they make me laugh I keep following them just for that.

I also have a tumblr page where I can follow various art, photography and book blogs and also "art" blogs, like the John Thornton and Guy of Gisbourne tags.

Hey, that's art! Cool

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 3 2014, 11:53am

Post #13 of 22 (373 views)
Shortcut
Both... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... Facebook mainly because I have a lot of friends abroad from my years in the USA and the UK.

Twitter I use as a news portal and to get a variety of views, links and articles on political topics that would be hard to collect through individual newspaper online services.

I need this both for my job and my personal interest in politics and particularly international relations.

Used like this social media can be of great service to people and companies. Especially in the NGO and charity sector.

It is always a question of how one uses the tools offered.

Angharad73
Rohan

Sep 3 2014, 1:37pm

Post #14 of 22 (362 views)
Shortcut
Both, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I hardly ever use either of them anymore.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Sep 3 2014, 3:18pm

Post #15 of 22 (361 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

Facebook with my real name and I am constantly connected with family and friends. I also use Messenger a lot, especially with my two best friends who live very far from me.

As far as Twitter is concerned, I have recently created my account but with my torn avatar. And for recently I mean that I started when Richard Armitage startedBlush

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 3 2014, 4:26pm

Post #16 of 22 (351 views)
Shortcut

I read a lot on both sites because I have different real life friend groups who use them. I follow a few celebrities on each, but that's not the main reason I use either anymore. I find that I don't have the time and attention span these days to keep up with the tweets and posts of people I'm not really connected to.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 4 2014, 2:37pm

Post #17 of 22 (320 views)
Shortcut
Neither // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 5 2014, 1:39pm

Post #18 of 22 (337 views)
Shortcut
I have both. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I mostly use twitter to find out about local floods and forest fires. It's great for immediate news like that. Oh, and to get part of the story in shows like the Lizzie Bennet Diairies, which are told on several platforms. I also followed the abortive Iranian revolution back in 2009 on twitter; it was pretty gripping, and days more current than any news outlets.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 5 2014, 1:39pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2014, 3:39am

Post #19 of 22 (318 views)
Shortcut
Facebook, but not really [In reply to] Can't Post

I am such a Luddite... I've never posted a picture anywhere and I only have Facebook because so many friends and family use it to keep in touch. Actually, it's not really the tech thing, but the privacy issues that keep me shy about social media. Pun unintentionally intended. Or intentionally unintended. I'm tired.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 6 2014, 3:39pm

Post #20 of 22 (322 views)
Shortcut
both [In reply to] Can't Post

Facebook account started as the original intent of Facebook: to connect with people in my school. Still mostly use it that way: there are several groups I participate in having to do with my area of study, writing for publication, etc. - I also weigh in on a page for people writing their dissertations. But it's become one of the main ways I communicate with my extended family. Not even that extended; my brothers who don't call or e-mail will communicate via FB!

I also have a Twitter account that is solely for my "author" persona.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2014, 7:04pm

Post #21 of 22 (289 views)
Shortcut
Twitter [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had a Twitter account since March 2012. I don't even remember my original reason for joining other than keeping up with some of my favorite organizations, websites, people, tv shows, my university, etc, etc.

At first I didn't think I would ever tweet anything, but I have over three hundred tweets now. None of them have personal info, and I never tweet pictures of myself, although I sometimes tweet pretty pics I've taken of nature and stuff I've crocheted/knitted. Mostly I tweet @ people or re-tweet things that I like, or respond to something someone else (frequently TORn) said.

Therefore, I also don't know why I have as many followers as I do or why some of them have continued following me as long as they have since I'm pretty random and IMO, not that interesting. I only recently, like in the last month, got some people from the TORn Tuesday chatroom following me. Other than that I don't know the majority of my 29 followers, but like I said, I don't tweet anything that would compromise my feeling of online security, so whatever.Tongue I'll admit though, that every time I get a follower I don't know this little paranoid voice in my head says, "Who are you and why are you FOLLOWING me?!" Lol.Laugh
On that note, lol, if anyone wants to follow me that would be cool. Might be nice to have a few more names that I recognize as followers!Angelic
https://twitter.com/Eruvandi

That is my beagle, Eli in my Twitter avatar, btw. He's my baby.Heart

morganlyfe
Rivendell

Sep 29 2014, 6:42pm

Post #22 of 22 (267 views)
Shortcut
I have both... [In reply to] Can't Post

Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family (I'm on it every day, but rarely post. I mostly use the messaging system instead of text since I'm living abroad and texting internationally is expensive).

I have a twitter which I'm in the process of trying to use. I was a bit hesitant about it at first (the whole "follow" thing sounds a little stalker-ish, don't you think?) but we were "strongly encouraged" to have one in my creative writing program. Apparently it looks good to have followers when you're approaching agents (although, Idk how much it counts when they're all family members and high school friends) It's https://twitter.com/morganlyfe if anyone cares to see my random posts. Message me if you follow so that we can talk about awesome lotr stuff :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.