Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, etc. have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Patty
Immortal

Sep 2 2014, 9:14pm

Post #76 of 85 (181 views)
Shortcut
Outlander, ye ken, and The Rape of Europa, Frozen [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm such a big fan of Outlander. Jamie doesn't exactly fit my idea of him from the books, but he is fantastic nonetheless. It's also a tremendous help to be able to watch this additionally on the starz app, because there is closed captioning available there. The accents are pretty difficult for me to discern what they are saying sometimes.

One of my Tornsibs (sorry, I don't remember who it was) recommended the Rape of Europa several months ago, when I watched Monuments Men and I'm just now getting around to watching it. This excellent documentary was much more in depth about the thieving of European works of art by the Germans Nazis and why it was that Hitler was instructing them to do this. There was also much more background on the beginning of the group known as the monuments men. Definitely worth a watch by anyone who has seen this movie.

Another movie that I am just now getting around to seeing is Frozen. I didn't expect to like this, but I really did and think it is the second best Disney movie I've seen right behind Beauty and the Beast. I was also better able to understand how the song "Let it Go" beat out "Happy" for the Oscar when I heard the song and saw the song in context.

Permanent address: Into the West

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 2 2014, 9:24pm

Post #77 of 85 (176 views)
Shortcut
I like his relationship to Phryne [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing I like about that show (and Haven, in a weird comparison) is that the folks pretty much are good tempered and not all scowly and intense. Even when patience might be tested (as it is for Page's character) he still is pleasant and polite in his demeanor. Of course, it's hard to be too out of sorts with Phryne, isn't it?

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 2 2014, 10:36pm

Post #78 of 85 (171 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's a nice change of pace [In reply to] Can't Post

from all the angsty power struggles that seem to go on in much of what is on tv. Even though Phryne has no business sticking her nose into police work, he tolerates her and worries about her and is often helped by her meddling.
But sometimes Phryne gets on my nerves. Jack Robinson is a saint for putting up with her. Laugh

I also like that they haven't gone all googly eyed with each other, although the chemistry is there. And Jack's marital situation was handled in such a discreet way, if you got up for a snack at the wrong moment, you'd have no idea.

Now Dot and Constable Collins are totes adorbs. TongueLaugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Aerin
Grey Havens

Sep 3 2014, 2:27am

Post #79 of 85 (160 views)
Shortcut
It's on my list, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ashes to Ashes, that is. Availability: unknown.

Hobbit Family Histories

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2014, 6:03am

Post #80 of 85 (163 views)
Shortcut
Such a great show, [In reply to] Can't Post

such a heartbreaking story. I was just recommending this to a co-worker today and as i talked about it i realized that i definitely need to re-watch it, because i binged it, the entire series, in about a week, watching the episodes as they piled up on my dvr from the marathon AMC was airing in the lead up to the finale. And while i got a really good feel of the big picture watching it all in such a short time, i never got a chance for it to really sink in. And Breaking Bad is definitely something that needs to sink in.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 3 2014, 6:29am

Post #81 of 85 (159 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you got to see The Rape of Europa [In reply to] Can't Post

'Twas I who gave you the tip. Smile
I was fascinated by Hitler's not so successful career as an artist, and the possible influence of this experience on his dreadful attitude to art later down the track.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 3 2014, 11:13am

Post #82 of 85 (154 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. It was well worth it. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Kim
Valinor

Sep 4 2014, 5:21am

Post #83 of 85 (139 views)
Shortcut
Witness for the Prosecution [In reply to] Can't Post

Came across this on Netflix streaming (hey!) and decided to give it a go. Pretty good 1950s murder mystery based on an Agatha Christie story. You know there has to be a twist at the end, but even so, it was still a surprise. And I like the announcer at the end who said something like, "please don't spoil this for your friends before they see the movie".

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 6 2014, 6:42pm

Post #84 of 85 (123 views)
Shortcut
Sword of Venus [In reply to] Can't Post

1953. Son of the Count of Monte Cristo foils the plotting of conspirators out to ruin the Dantes' family name. It's not a bad story, but lousy production values and uninspired acting make it forgettable.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Sep 14 2014, 2:54am

Post #85 of 85 (119 views)
Shortcut
lately [In reply to] Can't Post

Guns of Navarone
Young Frankenstein
Saving Mr. Banks
Mad Max
Escape From New York
Captain America The Winter Soldier
The Road Warrior
The Bloodstained Shadow
Stone
Inferno
Suspiria
God Forgives... I Don't
The Living Daylights
Planet of the Apes (original)
Slow Southern Steel (Southern Sludge metal doc)
Danger Diabolik!

... on the other side of tomorrow...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.