"...BUT.Bifur is both a “maniac fighter”
and an “incredibly gentle” toymaker,

Kircher said. He’s the oddball cousin,
not of the noble dwarf line of Durin.
And as a result of the ax injury,

Bifur is mentally challenged and speaks
only in his ancient dwarvish tongue — Khuzdul..."

Well?
What will be... be... BIFURzz BOT5Azz...HERO moment?

1. Will he find the ORC? that did that', to HIM?
(Reference: Appendices 8.AUJ..comment by PJ)

2. Will, this Ax.. Piece... be removed?

3. Will, he then... BE able to Speak "Westron'?

4. Will, this Incredible Actor make us ALL CRY? @ his Healing?

Bifur izz an Engima, WrappedUP into a Riddle..

Thoughts, Speculation?
On One Of Our UnSung...& Discussed,
Heros!
bom Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Sep 2 2014, 4:21am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2014, 4:38am

Post #2 of 21 (1640 views)
Shortcut
Bifur (and Bombur) [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hope he gets more screentime than in DoS. I liked that they added a couple moments with him in the extended edition of AUJ, but it still wasn't enough. I'm still not a huge fan of the whole ax in his head thing, but he had potential for being a more fun and active character. There's some good stuff with him in the background of a lot of shots if you know when to look, but I think he deserves more attention than he's getting.

Bombur may not have any lines, but at least he has a handful of memorable moments (even more coming with the enchanted stream) that help him stand out compared to the rest of the company.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Sep 2 2014, 4:39am)

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Sep 2 2014, 5:28am

Post #3 of 21 (1638 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nearly every other Dwarf has a proper character description that could be applied to them:
Thorin - the proud, heroic, often stubborn leader
Fíli - the more grounded heir to the throne
Kíli - the more reckless heir to the throne
Balin - the wise old counsellor
Dwalin - the badass warrior
Óin - the group medicine man
Glóin - the group financier
Dori - the fussy, mothering dandy
Nori - the rebellious kleptomaniac
Ori - the young, naïve, bashful one
Bofur - the good-time boy
But Bifur is still pretty much just 'the Dwarf with the axe in his head,' and Bombur is still pretty much just 'the fat Dwarf.' Unimpressed

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2014, 7:49am

Post #4 of 21 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Here is a GREAT Reference article on William Kircher [In reply to] Can't Post

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/hobbit-william-kircher-speaks-dwarvish-talks-bifurs-injury/#/0

www.charlie-art.biz

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2014, 11:41am

Post #5 of 21 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Bifur in the background [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene outside the troll cave where you can see Bifur in the background handing some kind of old bone to a confused looking Kili is one of my favorite "watch the background" moments in AUJ. SO many good character moments in these movies take place in the background while someone else is talking - there's always something to look at and the actors are always wonderful.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 2 2014, 4:53pm

Post #6 of 21 (1446 views)
Shortcut
Bifur is eactly like Fili ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... almost no screen time or characterization whatsoever.

I actually think he got less exposure than Fili (which I frankly thought was impossible!).

If it wasn't for that 10 second-extended scene in An Unexpected Party - where we get Oin explaining to Bilbo about Bifur's axe - I doubt the majority of movie audiences know after 2 films that he's got something stuck in his head and that he only speaks Khuzdul (hence, his entire characteristics as a dwarf).

I wonder how the cast's comments on their characters getting their moments in BOFA will affect the unaware audiences and whether they'd "get" the story-arc of each character.

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Snowghost77
Lorien

Sep 2 2014, 6:00pm

Post #7 of 21 (1419 views)
Shortcut
I really like your idea.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of having him healed somehow, maybe by the Elves or something. I think that would be great to have a sudden glimmer in his eye, his intelligence and wisdom suddenly restored to the surprise of those who had no idea how he was before... and then he speaks in a sage old stoic voice in westron....With that slight grawl of course...uttering some remarkably intelligent and deep words to everyone. ...would be kinda cool IMHO.
Kinda hope now.
Peace.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2014, 6:34pm

Post #8 of 21 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Well, Now that the Dwarve's Sorta OWN Erebor..? [In reply to] Can't Post

There could be a Short scene
where they Find their...
Hospital?

With all the Dangerzz of Mining
so far underground, in their
Vertical Staffs...
Falls must have
Occurred..
Over
time?

So maybe,
Oin with Ori-zz & Otherzzz
HELP..together
do some surgery
on his Accident?

There should be? some BIG "Pay-off" for our Herozzz..
once they are alone in their Kingdom.

Like These other Imagezzz..
bomby holds in his Head?
1. Bombur will Find the VAST Community Kitchens!..&...Servezz UP! a Feast for the (Temporary) Kings?

2...Nori.& Gloin.swimming (Backstroke) in the Piles of Gold? Laughing their Asszz OFF?

3. Thorin, Balin & Dwalin finding their Chambers..where they grew up?.... (TEARzz)

4.Finally Finding Their Ancient Weapons & Armor Treasurezz?

We have only jus' begun?
To Explore Erebor
with THIS Company?

...Remember only three,
(Thorin, Balin & Dwalin )

..have ever? ..
Before been INSIDE..
Erebor..

There will be some time for them TO find Much of the Dead Culture in Their Kingdom...

Before..
THE Battle?

Ponder THAT?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2014, 6:40pm

Post #9 of 21 (1387 views)
Shortcut
SG77 ...Bomby was busy Writing the Above ^^? [In reply to] Can't Post

BUT.. a Great "WordPicture" you painted !

WAyCool..Brother-In -Arms!

(YOU may have seen this sorta thing
in your Battles defending OUR Country!!)

bom.

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Sep 2 2014, 6:42pm)

Snowghost77
Lorien

Sep 2 2014, 7:29pm

Post #10 of 21 (1364 views)
Shortcut
haha...you know the saying..great minds!... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see all the above with Erebor, especially thorin, dwalin, and the brothers finding ancient weapons and armor of old...awesome!
Indeed I saw friends saved and brought back from near death on the battlefield. It's amazing what our MEDICS can accomplish these days with limited resources and time....TRUE HEROES!!
Bomby, always a pleasure my brother.
Peace.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.

Farficom
Rivendell

Sep 3 2014, 3:19am

Post #11 of 21 (1316 views)
Shortcut
Part of me wants... [In reply to] Can't Post

To see him get the ax removed, and be like new... but part of me wonders how much we will even get to really hear from the great supporting cast involved. That has been the most disappointing things about the whole trilogy is the lack of really getting to know many of the Dwarves. We shall see before too long.

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Sep 3 2014, 4:39am

Post #12 of 21 (1310 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to learn more about the others as well, however... [In reply to] Can't Post

"...the lack of really getting to know many of the Dwarves."

I agree with you, Farficom, I'd like to learn more about the other dwarves as well. But then, I do feel glad to know even as much as we do as Peter Jackson pointed out in some of the behind-the-scenes footage that in the book, Tolkien didn't give much detail about most of them, which in a book he didn't have to. I'm hoping in the BOTFA and EE versions of the last two films we get more chance to know the others like Fili, Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur better.

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 3 2014, 5:33pm

Post #13 of 21 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Bifur as a Metaphor? [In reply to] Can't Post

Each character is a Help for the audience
To understand What Dwarves are like?

If you put all of them together?
They represent a WHOLE!

The Stubbornness of Thorin?
The WAR Weary-ness of Balin?
ETC...

So, Bombyzz thinking is
Bifur represents
the "DAMAGE Done"

by the other races...
in Particular
ORCS..
.&
the Coming Darkness in LOTR

Their COMBINED FATES
...are ALL wrapped up in
Their COMBINED STRENGTH

Fighting For?... What belongs to them...
(A Home, somewhere?,.. they Belong in MiddleEARTH)
...against THE Most Impossible
ODDS..

(BILBO is their WildCard in this "Battle Strategy" Game.).

Bombyzz Opinion izz
PJ has played ALL
Screen-Play CARDS.. right..

(Bomby feels a Screen-Play Oscar izz.. Over-Do.. & IN..
"PJFWPB"'s Future)

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

zalmoxis
Bree

Sep 4 2014, 1:37pm

Post #14 of 21 (1218 views)
Shortcut
Metaphore [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, Jackson's conception of this ridiculous dwarf-with-an-axe-in-his-head truly represents the "DAMAGE Done" to the spirit of the source.
Jackson reduced Bifur's role to minimum so far, however, maybe due to overall criticism.

Snowghost77
Lorien

Sep 4 2014, 1:55pm

Post #15 of 21 (1210 views)
Shortcut
You have to admit though. ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's much more characterization than the book ever gave us...something is better than nothing I always say. In the book, Bifur was completely silenced, with no lines. People might not like the approach, but he's basically non existent in tolkien's work.
This pretty much leaves an open interpretation for JP, without altering anything at all. I don't really see how they can damage something that wasn't even there to begin with. My opinion of course....ah well
Peace.

zalmoxis
Bree

Sep 4 2014, 2:30pm

Post #16 of 21 (1207 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

Dragging a "mentally challenged" person off to war isn't like anything Tolkien's heroes seem to have done, as far as I'm aware. It seems illogical, unsensible, and cruel, IMO.
Peace.Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 6:35pm

Post #17 of 21 (1193 views)
Shortcut
Bifur does have lines in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

"And raspberry jam and apple-tart," said Bifur.

"And winter comes after autumn," said Bifur.

Roused by these words they were just about to creep inside the tunnel when Bifur gave a cry: "My cousins! Bombur and Bofur - we have forgotten them, they are down in the valley!"

This does not refute your statement about book-Bifur's lack of characterization though. At least these sentences don't.

Snowghost77
Lorien

Sep 4 2014, 6:43pm

Post #18 of 21 (1189 views)
Shortcut
haha...he did seem a bit..."mental"... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it seemed he wasn't a liability at all...he actually contributed quite a few times... (threw his javelin and slew a warg in AUJ, killed an orc hunter, wasn't running around when they were playing all sneaky being chased). Seemed to communicate in kuzdul (sp) fine. ect. It never seemed he was a distraction to the company. ..simply a silent capable warrior...With a slight speech impediment...and an axe in his head, "cough"
Tongue

Snowghost77
Lorien

Sep 4 2014, 6:45pm

Post #19 of 21 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! Go Bifur!!...any others? its obviously been a while for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 6:56pm

Post #20 of 21 (1183 views)
Shortcut
The only ones I cannot recall having any lines are Ori and Oin [In reply to] Can't Post

Feel free to correct me.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 7:02pm

Post #21 of 21 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Quoting Oin [In reply to] Can't Post

"Dead? No, only between his ears. His legs work fine."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.