The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
OneRing.net twitter spreading misinformation

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 31 2014, 3:11pm

Post #1 of 15 (4642 views)
Shortcut
OneRing.net twitter spreading misinformation Can't Post

I've been reading through TheOneRing.nets twitter feed about the LOTR films and have gotten quite annoyed about how inaccurate many of the tweets are (and people are believing them). I wonder who is posting all of this. To put the record straight:

1. @theoneringnet: Peter Jackson uses different frame rate tricks at several points in LOTR. This isn't possible in HFR 48fps.

This is completely wrong. 48 fps or 24 fps you can still use frame rate tricks you just have to shoot at higher frame rates respectively to slow things down.

2. @theoneringnet: Dead Marshes were shot in the parking lot. Significant fog was used to hide all the cars.

They learned that lesson from FOTR ;)

I'm pretty sure it was shot on the lot in front of a green screen. I'll let this one go as it seems to be a joke.

3. @theoneringnet: All those epic slow motion shots of Eowyn just isn't possible in HFR 48fps.

Again, wrong.

4. @theoneringnet: Howard Shore both composed music & conducted the orchestra for LOTR. He only wrote music for The Hobbit. Can you hear the difference?

Incorrect. Shore conducted the score to AUJ but not DOS.

5. @theoneringnet: The march to Helms Deep was all actors and hired extras.

The Hobbit uses digital doubles for similar scenes.

The Hobbit uses a mixture of extras/actors AND digital doubles.

6. @theoneringnet: Probably the biggest difference between LOTR and Hobbit VFX is how much smoke, dirt, dust and atmosphere there is. Hobbit has none.

This is wrong (I give Laketown as an example). Seems they took the exaggeration a bit too far.

They've also purely speculated/made up this and people are taking it as if there's actual evidence of it happening:

@theoneringnet: Rumors are Benedict Cumberbatch has re-recorded all of Saurons lines in LOTR.

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Aug 31 2014, 3:23pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 31 2014, 3:28pm

Post #2 of 15 (4336 views)
Shortcut
Darn [In reply to] Can't Post

Just spent ages putting my responses in bold to distinguish them from the tweets and I get told the editing time has expired.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Aug 31 2014, 10:26pm)

Bofur01
Lorien

Aug 31 2014, 5:06pm

Post #3 of 15 (4283 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, what the ... is this all about? // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Aug 31 2014, 10:26pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 31 2014, 5:27pm

Post #4 of 15 (4307 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

They organised some kind of LOTR viewing and tweeted while watching. There's so many tweets in the past few days!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 31 2014, 6:02pm

Post #5 of 15 (4305 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if you're trying to correct this misinformation for fans of LOTR or communicate to the staff person who wrote those tweets [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want to set the record straight for fans and you're communicating to them here... you're in the right place.

If you want to communicate to the staff person who wrote those (or in general to the senior staff at TORn), you're in the wrong place. I don't know which staff person wrote those tweets but they aren't reading on the forum, I'm pretty sure.

If you want to communicate to the staff, using Twitter, Facebook, or 'Contact Us' (look left) are your best choices.

In regards to the Dead Marshes, I happen to have a transcript of the writers/directors commentary for TTT handy so I checked:

[Frodo, Sam and Gollum approach the Dead Marshes]Peter: This shot was about the first Gollum shot we ever did. We didn’t have a clue what Gollum was going to really look like when we shot Frodo and Sam walking up this hill. We were keeping our fingers crossed about three years ago that one day there’d be a Gollum put there that would be looking all right. (beat) The Dead Marshes was primarily a set that we built in the parking lot of an old factory, right next to a railway station, and a lot of times that we’d be shooting the Dead Marshes, there’d be trains rolling through the background. [Philippa laughs] You’d actually see them in the film, the trains going right past the back of the shot, and then later on, we painted it all out and put an extension to the Marshes in here.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 31 2014, 8:02pm

Post #6 of 15 (4275 views)
Shortcut
I'm just trying to set the record straight [In reply to] Can't Post

As I can't particularly respond over twitter. It's not so much the tweeter I'm trying to correct, but the followers who know believe those things and May stumble across this forum.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2014, 8:23pm

Post #7 of 15 (4280 views)
Shortcut
Just FYI re: Editing and TORn questions or concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

My understanding is that after you've submitted a post, you only have a ten minute window in which to edit before the edit option goes away. So, if you're not sure if you can edit in that short a time frame it may just be better to reply to your own post with a subject line that says "CORRECTION" or "EDIT" or something similar.

OR you can go to the Feedback board and ask a Mod to make changes for you, which I've seen a lot of people do when a larger correction is needed for the starting post of a thread.

I believe Feedback would also be a good place to go if you have a question or concern related to TORn stuff in general, like their Twitter account or whatever, because the Mods can often get info and answer questions on that kind of thing for you.

Hope that helps.Smile

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 31 2014, 10:18pm

Post #8 of 15 (4270 views)
Shortcut
I don't think there's much crossover [In reply to] Can't Post

between home page comments | Twitter | Facebook | Forum....

but you can try, here, to reach those who might have read them if you think it's worth it.

I just didn't want you to think someone who had something to do with making TORn Tweets would read this thread.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 1 2014, 12:37pm

Post #9 of 15 (4248 views)
Shortcut
It does seem... [In reply to] Can't Post

... like something someone should post over his/her private Twitter account. Not TORN's official one.

Thankfully not as bad as the ridiculous business with "July 21" (or whatever date it was).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 2 2014, 3:56am

Post #10 of 15 (4232 views)
Shortcut
What's all this about 48 fps? [In reply to] Can't Post

LotR wasn't shot in 48 FPS. I don't understand most of your complaints.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Sep 2 2014, 3:58am)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 2 2014, 7:16am

Post #11 of 15 (4221 views)
Shortcut
Sigh [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

My complaints were about the tweets being incorrect on several things. The tweet said frame rate tricks and things like Eoywn's slo-motion aren't possible in 48 FPS which is completely untrue. Frame rate tricks can be achieved regardless of what FPS the film is shot in, you just have to use cameras with higher FPS than the film to achieve them. I never said LOTR was shot in 48 FPS.

So for LOTR to get a 2X slomo shot they need to use a 48 fps camera. Woth the Hobbit they'd need to use a 98 fps camera, both if which are possible to obtain and use. So saying The Hobbit can't use frame rate tricks because of HFR is misleading and wrong.

I've added my own response to the each tweet on it's own line before the next tweet in case that caused confusion.

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Sep 2 2014, 7:26am)

acheron
Gondor

Sep 2 2014, 11:38am

Post #12 of 15 (4206 views)
Shortcut
board staff and twitter staff [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone asked on the board one time "who follows the TORN twitter account?" and I responded, "I haven't been but I will start", and later that day a tweet showed up saying something like "welcome all our new followers including acheron from the message boards".

So I can't keep all the TORN staff straight, but someone or other crosses over between the boards and the twitter account. Wink

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

(This post was edited by acheron on Sep 2 2014, 11:38am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2014, 7:05pm

Post #13 of 15 (4165 views)
Shortcut
I think they increased the editing window to 15 or 20 minutes a few months ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure which.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Sep 2 2014, 7:05pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2014, 9:44pm

Post #14 of 15 (4158 views)
Shortcut
Yes - edit window extended to 15 minutes on all boards // [In reply to] Can't Post

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 20 2014, 11:31pm

Post #15 of 15 (4199 views)
Shortcut
Do you understand now? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I find it really frustrating to read this. I never disputed LOTR not being shot in 48 FPS, I was saying TORN twitter was wrong by saying the Hobbit cannot use slomo shots. In fact Thorin charging towards Azog at the end of AUJ was slomotion, I don't know how TORN can claim it's not possible at the higher frame rate.

My complaints made me angry because they were tweeting factually inaccurate things (that often try to make LOTR look better than The Hobbit).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.