Other
View Results (69 votes)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2014, 6:59pm

Post #26 of 56 (996 views)
Shortcut
My Mum and sisters do the same thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though usually for my siblings it is a sing-songy voice, and they peek into my room with a stupid grin and call out:

'Dearest brother, would you please do X?'

*I do it.*

'Thank-you!! This is why you are my favourite brother!'

I'm their only brother!!Tongue

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2014, 11:00pm

Post #27 of 56 (998 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 31 2014, 5:12am

Post #28 of 56 (996 views)
Shortcut
We would have to stand back to back to be sure, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think we are the same height.
I manage to make myself look taller with the clever use of hair products.

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 31 2014, 1:29pm

Post #29 of 56 (975 views)
Shortcut
Did you try it? [In reply to] Can't Post

No problem Smile

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 31 2014, 1:41pm

Post #30 of 56 (979 views)
Shortcut
I don't usually worry about appearing taller [In reply to] Can't Post

My hair is extremely curly (hobbit curly- but they are smaller, tighter curls not big ringlets), so if I were to try and make it more voluminous I would look like a French poodle lol Tongue

And heels hurt my feet, so I don't generally do heels over 3 cm high at the most (my boots that I usually wear- riding style LOTR type leather boots or lace up functional boots- I don't do fancy- are about two cm at the heel and are for traction mostly, and keeping my feet in stirrups) and those are only my dress shoes and rarely worn. My wedding shoes were nearly 10 cm tall and are by far the tallest shoes I ever owned (they absolutely killed my feet- I can't understand how people can practically live in stilettos- even these shoes had a 2cmx2cm solid heel!), but that's because I needed to buy shoes for it anyway and I didn't want to spend $120 to alter my dress (inevitably formal dresses are always exceedingly long for me Unsure). Even with the extra 10 cm, I still had to walk a little bit like a Nazi soldier (goose-stepping) down the aisle because it was still too long (my loving new husband was kind enough to carry me back down the aisle after the ceremony was over Heart). My wedding dress had a cascading floral beadwork design on the front of the dress that followed it around the hem and had a six foot train in the back, as well as a beaded bodice, so altering would have been both time consuming and costly.

I'd rather not kill my feet or look like a poodle to be taller (not saying you do, but I would). At least it's some consolation that my mother is two inches (5 cm) shorter than I am, and my sister is about a cm shorter as well, so I'm not the shortest in my extended family. But I know without a doubt that my girls will be significantly taller than I, probably by age 9 or so Tongue

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2014, 10:52pm

Post #31 of 56 (970 views)
Shortcut
Generally okay with it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure exactly, but I'm either 5' 5" or 5' 6" and I'm okay with it the majority of the time. Occasionally, I've felt too short, especially if I happen to be around a bunch of really tall people, but on the rare occasion that I try on even one inch heels I feel like I'm too tall and I'm going to bring too much attention to myself and I just go back to wearing flats like I usually wear.

It may sound strange, but I think the "too tall" and "too much attention" feeling may come from the fact that I hit all my growth spurts really early as a kid and was often one of the tallest if not the tallest kid in my grade at school for many years. Then I hit puberty and the growing finally crawled to a stop. Seriously, I think I may have reached my full height around 13 or 14 years old if I hadn't reached it before then. I also *cough* "developed" sooner than the other girls and got really self conscious for a while. I guess I just got tired of feeling like I stuck out from everyone else somewhere along the way, so that's why I'm happy to stay at average height now. *shrugs* Unimpressed

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2014, 3:12am

Post #32 of 56 (959 views)
Shortcut
Happy with my height [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was still growing, I wanted to be tall. Now that I am done growing and have had more experience of life, I don't think it is that important. Then again, I got my wish (69", 1.75m, which in the US would be considered tall, for a female).

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Sep 4 2014, 3:01am

Post #33 of 56 (941 views)
Shortcut
Well in the US [In reply to] Can't Post

you're above average height. The average height for women in the states is 5'4. I think even in countries like Germany (traditionally taller people) the average is around 5'6...so you're not short at all! Wink

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Sep 4 2014, 3:39am

Post #34 of 56 (954 views)
Shortcut
Well, when you're my height... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you typically aren't happy with it. Technically I'm 4'11 3/4, though I usually just say 5' --when you're that small you take every fraction of an inch you can! Wink

I'm the shortest in my family and of almost all my friends. Growing up I was always small and people would tease me about it. When I was a teenager and my friends were shooting up (didn't help that a lot of them were Scandinavian!) and starting to look like adults, I still appeared like a kid and it was really stressful for me. One of the things that hurt the most was hearing girls who were near or above average height complaining about how short they were --it actually still makes me angry when I hear it...like if their height is so terrible what does that say about mine? Unsure I remember many a tearful exit from the doctor's office after a physical that showed I hadn't grown that much (if at all). The irony being, I never drank coffee and I used to have milk every day, so there go those theories!

I think I've "made peace" with it now, though. I can see how being so petite was helpful in my gymnastics (tallest US gymnast in London was 5'2!), in cheerleading I was always going to be the flyer (top stunter), in college I knew people who wished they were tinier "like me", I never had to worry about being taller than a guy, and I rather appreciate the inherent "cute" factor Blush I also work in gymnastics so I'm around a lot of people that are near my height, which is so nice!

So I'm glad I'm small and would always pick being shorter to taller, but in a perfect world my ideal height would be 5'2 or 5'3. Those few inches make a big difference: in flats you're pretty petite, in heels you're on the taller side; whereas if I'm in even 4" heels I'm only just average height! Crazy Ah, well...

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Sep 4 2014, 3:49am

Post #35 of 56 (942 views)
Shortcut
Can I take you up on that bet? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Do you know your exact height? Myself, I'm less than 5'!

I totally understand the difficulties in crowds. At least at things like concerts and parades, if I'm with my husband I'll sit on his shoulders and he can hold me up for a long time (perk of being small!), then I'm up higher than anyone! And if comments are anything to go by, apparently it's really cute/sweet Cool And yes, legroom!! That is a big plus!

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 6:06am

Post #36 of 56 (946 views)
Shortcut
You win [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have a current exact height, but I would say you are a little bit shorter, probably around the same height as my sister.
We can start a small but exclusive club with a few others around here.
Not only are we the shortest, it is a fact that we are also the most attractive. Cool

And PS, that sitting on the shoulders thing is not at all cute when you have the misfortune to be behind that arrangement.

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 4 2014, 7:00am

Post #37 of 56 (950 views)
Shortcut
Erm, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm 1/4 Norwegian and 1/16th Swedish, and my mom (the Swedish side) is only 4 foot 11 inches, so.....

I don't think being Scandinavian equals height lol Tongue

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 7:11am

Post #38 of 56 (941 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

I have Swedish heritage on my father's side, and they are shorties!

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 4 2014, 7:22am

Post #39 of 56 (936 views)
Shortcut
not entirely [In reply to] Can't Post

my mother's full blood Swede great-grandfather was 6 foot 4 inches (just a wee bit shorter than Lee Pace)....I don't know how tall her full blood Swede great-grandmother was.

My original point was, I don't think being Scandinavian automatically equals height (or the opposite) Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 7:52am

Post #40 of 56 (924 views)
Shortcut
I was making the same point you were. // [In reply to] Can't Post

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Sep 4 2014, 2:23pm

Post #41 of 56 (927 views)
Shortcut
Obviously [In reply to] Can't Post

there are always exceptions --half of my family is from Eastern Europe, but that didn't help me at all Wink I grew up with a lot of Norwegians (who were 75%-100% so) and the shortest girls I know are around 5'7 with quite a few up near 6'...and mostly blonde, of course! Wink

Annael
Immortal

Sep 4 2014, 2:43pm

Post #42 of 56 (928 views)
Shortcut
I have two friends who are 4'10" [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing how often the tallest guy around will sit down right in front of them in a theater. We laugh - and trade seats.

That and people who think it's okay to pat them on the head are the worst things, they say. Oh, and buying pants in the kids department. Both of them learned to sew & make their own clothes in self-defense.

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 5 2014, 4:45am

Post #43 of 56 (912 views)
Shortcut
Well, I am that [In reply to] Can't Post

or, more accurately, a reddish blonde (if the sun or another light catches my hair right, it's quite red- you see my last (and final-won't be dyeing it ever again) dye job on my avatar, but a picture of my last baby shower nearly three years ago shows my hair the same shade- no dye in it there!).

I most certainly look Scandinavian! Right down to the sun turning me into a lobster....I couldn't tan if someone paid me a million dollars! I am not joking- I am not much darker than my white bathroom cabinet, and am able to reflect light (seriously- I held my hand in the one spot of sunlight in a dark room once, and it actually reflected it and made two sun spots on the floor! It was weird).

I also have the light blue eyes and ruddy cheeks that seem to be a very Scandinavian trait.

But height- pfft! Nope- I am no taller than five foot movie Kili's height....

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 5 2014, 4:48am

Post #44 of 56 (904 views)
Shortcut
So that's where I get my "no blush needed" cheeks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a quarter German on my mother's side.

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 5 2014, 5:36am

Post #45 of 56 (901 views)
Shortcut
I can relate [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually LIKED buying clothes in the kids' department- they actually fit (I have very narrow hips for a girl, and the girls' pants, despite being about $5 cheaper than the same amount of fabric used in a size 4 pair of pants, actually fit me properly in both length and hips- the ladies' hips would be a little baggy on the pants). They were cheaper, they fit better, and when I got capris (back when I wore them) they hit mid calf instead of my ankles like their size 4 counterparts (a girls' size 16 is the same, though shorter, than a ladies size 4).

But now that I've had kids, though, my ever present "baby tummy" (normal sized kids, mommy five feet tall=the stretch marks will never go away Unsure) prevents me from being able to wear the kid's clothes anymore.

And, like your friends, I eventually ended up sewing my own clothes lol! Though that was partly for religious reasons, but also very much for comfort- I wear long sleeved ankle length dresses now- baby tummy is no longer a concern, and the clothes fit properly, don't have to be altered or hemmed (it's very difficult to alter already existing clothing- I tried for my skinnier than average little ones and gave up- it's easier to sew a piece of properly fitting clothing than to alter store bought clothes), and it's cool in the summer (cotton) and warm in the winter (flannel). Plus they're very comfortable- no cinching belts up only to still have pants fall down, no tripping over long hems, no capris around the ankles (looking like high water pants), etc....

The worst thing about my height is being treated disrespectfully like a kid. That's why, when my daughter (who is five) will go up and purchase something in the store with the money she earned doing chores and helping mommy with tasks (like baking, or helping with her sister (they are early birds and I have a sleep disorder, so inevitably she occupies her two year old sister by playing with her and keeping her in the room and making sure she doesn't get into stuff she's not supposed to for ten minutes so I can shower in peace because they wake me up, rather than the other way around) or taking the recycling out to the can in the side yard, etc) I am so happy when the clerks treat her like an actual customer, which she is (even if it's only a $0.25 ice cream cone).

They will count out change- I've even had some clerks count it back to her in her hand or be slow and precise- she's learning that way. Some have especially bagged up her merchandise and, in the case of her buying a child's toy ceramic teapot at an antique store (that matched her tea party set my grandmother got her- the only thing we didn't find with the set had been a teapot) the clerk wrapped it up and gave it to HER, rather than me, because she was the one who bought it Smile. Of course they know she's with me, but she's the customer and I am glad when people treat her like she should be treated- with respect.

Actually, because I've been (due to my height and baby face) treated like a dumb kid much like how people dismiss kids, I have a lot more understanding why teens (or kids in general) get so frustrated with people who don't treat them respectfully. They're people too, and deserve to not be dismissed or brushed off (disciplined yes, dismissed no).

But I do like being five feet in some cases- I don't nail my head on things (I can actually walk right underneath my inlaw's garage lights (the exterior ones on either side) whereas my husband's always running into them and hitting his shoulder).

It's also nice to know that, as a dwarf fan, there are two dwarves taller than I (Thorin and Dwalin are both 5'2" and I'm 5') and one that's equal to my height (Kili). It may be a dumb thing, but to a Tolkien geek it's nice to know that I could conceivably interact with dwarves in ME and not have to worry about towering over them in my imagination Smile I might be slightly taller than most of them (probably a head taller than Balin- don't know for sure how tall he is but I think he's about 4'2", or the same height as Bilbo) but not uncomfortably so Smile So TH has helped me actually like my height for a change Cool

It's kind of like being born with pointy ears (it's possible- the actor who played Frank Burns (Larry Linville) in MASH appears, to me, to have surprisingly elvish looking ears- even if he's not elf looking as a whole). Kids might tease you about it, but once you watch LOTR and see the elves that have something you share in common with them you might have a cool "geek moment" Smile It's kind of neat, in a way, to be able to relate to favorite characters even if it's something so boring as height Smile But for dwarves, height is very much an important part of being a dwarf- it is one of the major differences between them and other races of ME, and probably the most obvious . So for me to be within the company's height range- that's actually pretty cool Sly

And it would certainly make doing dwarf cosplay a LOT easier! I could even pull off a female dwarf lol Wink Or I could even be a taller hobbit....my hair is curly enough....but I would even outdistance Bullroarer Took, so maybe I could be the dwarf and my five year old daughter (who is very nearly 3 foot 6 in and also has the curly hair like I have) could be the hobbit Smile.....

Ok, now I'm rambling- sorry Evil

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 5 2014, 5:48am

Post #46 of 56 (895 views)
Shortcut
maybe, genetically speaking [In reply to] Can't Post

But Germany isn't a Scandinavian country- it's considered northern European (and my husband's family has a lot of German- and they're either red or dark, dark brown haired- and they don't have ruddy cheeks). But genetics really have a lot to do with it- you can have ruddy cheeks and not have Scandinavian blood, but the Scandinavians are often known for ruddy cheeks, if that makes sense. Just like not all Scandinavians are blonde, but the chances of a Scandinavian being blonde is higher than in many other countries.

The Scandinavian countries are Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark. All but Denmark are on the same peninsula jutting out from the far north of Europe (Denmark borders part of northern Germany, but is made up of a peninsula pointing toward Sweden (you can see the Swedish shore in one place, according to my Danish penpal) and a bunch of islands surrounding the peninsula). I believe Iceland might be included in the Scandinavian category too, though it's in the north Atlantic. It was originally colonized by Norway- the vikings came from Norway.

I am 1/4 Norwegian and 1/8 Swedish, so when I did the math, it turns out that I'm 3/8 Scandinavian, or almost half Scandinavian. I definitely look like the stereotypical Scandinavian as seen in movies and such- very, very pale skin, ruddy cheeks, light blue eyes (sky blue, but still lighter except around the edges, which are a dark blue), blonde hair (though it was white- blond when I was younger, but is now a reddish honey colored blonde with some natural lighter blonde highlights throughout). I'm just really, really short, whereas Vikings are often portrayed as tall and broad. I am very strong though, and despite it not being great for my back I can lift a considerable amount more than I weigh if I had to.

I don't know if Germans are also known for ruddy cheeks, but I do know that Scandinavians (particularly Norwegians) are. But I'm no geneticist- I would have to look it up to know for sure Evil

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Sep 5 2014, 5:53am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2014, 2:31pm

Post #47 of 56 (883 views)
Shortcut
Yes with my height [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm 5' 3" in the morning, then shrink to 5' 2" by night. I'm NOT happy with my width ;)

GREAT QUESTION!

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 8 2014, 2:32pm)

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 9 2014, 6:16pm

Post #48 of 56 (876 views)
Shortcut
I was 5 ft [In reply to] Can't Post

3/4 inch when I was young. Not sure what I am now but probably a bit less. I'm the shortest one in my family and shorter than my mother and sister. Both my parents have shortness in their families and my great grand father was practically a dwarf.

Can I join the short club?

I'd rather be taller but I've always said if I had to be unusually short or tall I'd pick short.

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 9 2014, 6:28pm

Post #49 of 56 (878 views)
Shortcut
My daughter's arms are as long [In reply to] Can't Post

as my legs. My husband was 6'1" and my daughter has unusually long arms at 5'6". At least I'm in proportion - everything is short.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 10 2014, 3:28pm

Post #50 of 56 (866 views)
Shortcut
Central European [In reply to] Can't Post

Germany would be considered Central European. Northern European would be too misleading as Germany has many regions which do not really fit that category of "Northern" and some of them have qualities that would even be called "Southern European".

Though I am sure one can find sources for both terms used in respect to Germany.

As for my height... With 1.74m it is the one thing about me I am actually annoyed by sometimes.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 10 2014, 3:33pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.