Return of the King Live in NYC????

Timdalf
Rivendell

Aug 29 2014, 10:44pm

Post #1 of 22 (4359 views)
Shortcut
Return of the King Live in NYC???? Can't Post

Reading all these clues... of LotR 2015
LotR - RotK LIVE at Lincoln Center NYC in 2015???

In a few days -- exactly when the group setting these concerts up means to... and the 6000 reference refers to it NOT being in Radio City Music Hall (as were FotR and TTT LIVE) ... but at Lincoln Center? So my guess is LotR Live RoTK will be announced: 7(dwarves)-6(thousand)-5(th day) is a countdown that means in 4 days there will be an announcement on Sept 2... https://twitter.com/LOTR2015

dijomaja
Lorien

Aug 30 2014, 11:55am

Post #2 of 22 (4080 views)
Shortcut
What happened to 3? [In reply to] Can't Post

Either way we're overdue for this.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Aug 30 2014, 12:57pm

Post #3 of 22 (4084 views)
Shortcut
Now, now... don't confusilate moi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's wait for LOTR2015 to post the next twit ... er.. tweet... today which will be 4 in the countdown, then 3, then 2 and then 1, and THEN.... and keep our fingers crossed I guessed right!!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 30 2014, 3:48pm

Post #4 of 22 (4077 views)
Shortcut
A ROTK Live concert in NYC for April was announced back in March 2014 [In reply to] Can't Post

https://twitter.com/...s/440218221799809024
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=720166#720166

I think this recent mysterious tweet will lead to it... but the mystery is to build up excitement. It won't be the debut of the announcement. It's just the debut of the promotion.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Timdalf
Rivendell

Aug 30 2014, 3:52pm

Post #5 of 22 (4065 views)
Shortcut
How did I miss that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I must not have been checking Doug's tweets back then... I remember getting the idea RotK would be in 2015 perhaps in the spring. But I don't remember noting the month. Thanks, Magpie.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Aug 30 2014, 6:40pm

Post #6 of 22 (4060 views)
Shortcut
Countdown #4 is up at LOTR2015 [In reply to] Can't Post

So 3, 2, 1 to go!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 30 2014, 9:56pm

Post #7 of 22 (4061 views)
Shortcut
It was a remarkably understated 'announcement'... that's for sure // [In reply to] Can't Post

Timdalf
Rivendell

Aug 31 2014, 11:46am

Post #8 of 22 (4037 views)
Shortcut
But Doug is not an official PR rep... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so he was just letting us have a hint of something to look forward to knowing how frustrated we NYers are about the lack of finish to the Live Concerts.

I am not sure, Magpie, I get what your distinction is between a "promotion" and an "announcement"?

What I am really hoping for, but not expecting, is the start of a series of the Live Concerts as a three night set...!! Because this LotR2015 seems to be intending more than just a NYC RotK level of anticipation-creation. But I may be completely wrong.

(This post was edited by Timdalf on Aug 31 2014, 11:51am)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 31 2014, 12:39pm

Post #9 of 22 (4039 views)
Shortcut
Announcement vs promotion [In reply to] Can't Post

An announcement was the release of detailed information about the booking/scheduling of the event... that a ROTK Live concert had been booked for at David H. Koch Theater (nee Lincoln Center) for April 2015 with the 21st Century Orchestra. (follow the second link I gave for more info that Doug released)

It wasn't announced with any drums and cymbals but it wasn't 'hinted' at either. It was categorically told to us by someone who doesn't tell us things he doesn't have permission to share.

So we knew the concert was in place but they weren't promoting the event - there was no publicity attached to this announcement. No Press Releases. No info on tickets. No Posters or Ads or whatever.

Now (I suspect) they are getting ready to promote it and promoting is all about marketing/advertising. And I can't think of one reason they can't just say what they mean to say without this countdown except that they are trying to get a sense of mystery to incite a state of excitement.

That's marketing.

You wondered if there was going to be a ROTK Live concert at Lincoln Center in 2015. The answer is yes. We already know that. We know it will be in April and we know it will be performed by the 21st Century Orchestra.

The only question is, "Do these very recent tweets by @LOTR2015 (and retweeted by Doug) refer to the ROTK Live concert? Or do they refer to something else or something more?"

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 31 2014, 12:44pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 31 2014, 1:00pm

Post #10 of 22 (4036 views)
Shortcut
I tend to think you might be right... [In reply to] Can't Post

about all three concerts, however.

The quotes they are using are from all three movies... not just ROTK.

And why create a LOTR2015 'handle' if they are only promoting the ROTK in NYC?

But all three concerts might not be in NYC. It might be a tour, or something.

always as 'or something' as the 'out'. :-)

Timdalf
Rivendell

Aug 31 2014, 4:59pm

Post #11 of 22 (4013 views)
Shortcut
Gotcha on the annoucement vs promo issue [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right, as usual!! :-)

Good point on the quotes... So what will today's be? "Three Rings for the Elven-kings...."

Maybe they will kick off the tour (which I agree with you might be the point of all this) in NYC (although April seems late in the year) and give us a consolation prize of repeats of FotR and TTT Live Concerts then cap it off with RotK... That would be most nice! And the Twitter site says US on it... hmmm?

As for promoting these concerts, they really didn't give them much early promo previously... In Wolf Trap near DC and same here in NYC...

(This post was edited by Timdalf on Aug 31 2014, 5:01pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 31 2014, 6:03pm

Post #12 of 22 (4013 views)
Shortcut
There was some attempt at promoting RCMH [In reply to] Can't Post

...cause I was in on some of it. But it never amounted to much.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 31 2014, 6:04pm

Post #13 of 22 (4018 views)
Shortcut
that last line would make more sense if I had typed what I meant: [In reply to] Can't Post

always add 'or something' as the 'out'.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Aug 31 2014, 6:09pm

Post #14 of 22 (4011 views)
Shortcut
Precisely.... [In reply to] Can't Post

it seemed late in coming. If I remember correctly.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Aug 31 2014, 8:41pm

Post #15 of 22 (4010 views)
Shortcut
wrong again... [In reply to] Can't Post

"3 days to ride" -- now, most of these clues are about travelling. Is this a meaningful pattern?

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 1 2014, 7:45pm

Post #16 of 22 (4003 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

Two Hobbits!! And note the repeat of the screencap from Two Towers which heads the whole sweet tweet thread... So this must definitely be about more than just RotK.

And only two quotes so far are not by Gandalf. #7 which is the Ring Verse, of course. And #6 which is Aragorn and then Theoden's reply...

So we have as sources: Ring Verse, RotK, TTT, FotR, then RotK, TTT, and maybe tomorrow FotR again? So there is a pattern here too.

(This post was edited by Timdalf on Sep 1 2014, 7:56pm)

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 2 2014, 4:42pm

Post #17 of 22 (3993 views)
Shortcut
They're HERE! Almost!!! LOTR Concert Live is on sale [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.lotrlincolncenter.com/index.html

I do think they goofed a bit on the schedeuling... April 1-12 is Jewish Passover week AND Christian Orthodox Holy Week. So I can't make both cycles as I would like. But I have my tickets for Cycle 2. Gondor Package.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 3 2014, 1:34pm

Post #18 of 22 (3956 views)
Shortcut
Anyone else going? [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie? Tickets are selling fast I gather. So don't put this off!! This is THE way to see these films.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 3 2014, 4:06pm

Post #19 of 22 (3959 views)
Shortcut
my travel days such as this are far behind me [In reply to] Can't Post

No trips to NYC for me anymore. The hits we took when the economy tanked haven't been repaired to a sufficient level.

These days, we do day trips for birding for our excitement. :-)

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 3 2014, 4:46pm

Post #20 of 22 (3967 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear that... [In reply to] Can't Post

But apparently this is a kick off of further US performances of the Trilogy Live around the country. So don't lose hope. "There is always hope!" said Estel.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Sep 4 2014, 4:22pm

Post #21 of 22 (3933 views)
Shortcut
The actual NYTimes notice... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is hilarious. Someone there actually still has a sense of humour! The screencap accompanying the notice in the paper version of the paper has the line of Frodo to Gollum:
"You've seen this before..."

Yes, we indeed have, and we are going again, and again, and again... Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 7 2014, 11:07pm

Post #22 of 22 (4003 views)
Shortcut
I was fortunate to see RotK's concert in Grand Rapids, Michigan [In reply to] Can't Post

February 2012. The presentation was identical to the FotR and TT Concerts in NYC: Radio City Music Hall. It completed the trilogy of Shore's music with the film for me... and it was fantastic!

Guest Artist: Vocalist Kaitlyn Lusk
Conductor: Ludwig Wicki
Grand Rapids Symphony Orchestra

RotK Concert/Film

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.