You Never Ask a Lady Her Age
View Results (118 votes)

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 7:30pm

Post #26 of 71 (1745 views)
Shortcut
Ageless, [In reply to] Can't Post

which is the current fashion and a BIG tip off that I'm in the second half of your poll.Laugh

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 8:19pm

Post #27 of 71 (1751 views)
Shortcut
27 [In reply to] Can't Post

but look 13 apparently, or at least the fabric cutter at the fabric store thought I was my (then four year old and 18 month old's) older sister last October! I've heard of moms relishing people thinking they were their daughters' older sisters, but come on- she's FOUR!

Do I really look that young?! Well, my avatar is really me, so you be the judge.... Crazy

It doesn't help that I'm only five feet tall I guess (and that my now five year old already reaches up to the bottom of my chest! She has to dodge my elbows now, because if she comes up behind me unexpectedly and I don't know she's there she's likely to get it in the forehead Crazy). I knew they would eventually be taller than me, but then I found out that I was in the 5th percentile for height (95% of the adult female population in America is taller than I) and they're in the 30th percentile.....

My five foot two friend (whose four almost five year old- four months younger than mine- is just half an inch shorter than my daughter) was holding her little one "like a baby" at bedtime cuddling and got sentimental and asked her husband, "What will I do when she's bigger than me?"

He replied (he has a dry sense of humor so it's impossible to tell when he's being serious or teasing):

"Throw her ninth birthday party."

LOL no kidding! Crazy

On a positive note, that means that I'm short enough to be a Hobbit dwarf (shorter than both Thorin and Dwalin) so I guess that's a small consolation prize Evil

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 10:11pm

Post #28 of 71 (1771 views)
Shortcut
I'm lonely [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still so Lonely,

I’m not gonna say which category I fall in; but the other two-percenter could be my great-grandson or daughter. I forget which.

But then I forgot what I walked into the other room for.
I think it was to watch “Hopalong Cassidy” on one of them new-fangled television sets. (I've heard that some people call it a "TV" - how dumb can we get?)

I hope I get some company soon. I’m so lonely I could cry me a river.

Here’s a photo of me, my wife and son from back in the happy day when men were men and lard was Mmm - Good. I think….

photo lard.jpg

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 3:14am

Post #29 of 71 (1738 views)
Shortcut
You're well-hidden. [In reply to] Can't Post

Either that or you're miscounting something. I have firmly staked out the 70-80 2% slot.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 3:17am

Post #30 of 71 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Hey, that means you're a Libra too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew there was a(nother) reason I liked you! Cool

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 3:56am

Post #31 of 71 (1726 views)
Shortcut
I don't think you had voted yet when he wrote his post [In reply to] Can't Post

Cause I looked at the numbers earlier and there was one person in the 70-80 range. I knew you were in that slot and figured you hadn't voted yet. :-)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 4:01am

Post #32 of 71 (1722 views)
Shortcut
My Dear Elizabeth. I'll show you mine if you show me yours .. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did, I did , I did! No I didn't. I didn't vote!

How could that be? A senior moment perhaps?
I know you will forgive me as I have now bumped us two points passed the ten-year-olds into the 4% bracket.

And I'm so pleased to have the company and not be alone anymore (Whoops, guess I never was), but I hope you too will enjoy the company - Smile

** sheds now only tears of joy **

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 4:11am

Post #33 of 71 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Now Magpie, be nice to your Elders [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Elizabeth HAD voted and I had NOT.

Oh, my... CrazyCrazy

Well, I too thought it was only ME in the 70-80 slot.. CrazyCrazy

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 4:12am

Post #34 of 71 (1715 views)
Shortcut
aha... [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume you had voted and Elizabeth hadn't ... it was the other way around.

I told you in that thread on main that we had at least one other member of this age.. but I thought it was her claim to make.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 4:13am

Post #35 of 71 (1710 views)
Shortcut
you ain't old enough to be my elder! // [In reply to] Can't Post

(or I'm not young enough)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 4:48am

Post #36 of 71 (1723 views)
Shortcut
** searching, searching, for Magpie ** [In reply to] Can't Post

No luck! Just - "old. Older than dirt."
Must mean that Elizabeth and I are older than OLD dirt?

And you must be younger than us and therefore we are elder? Huh?

Elderly cheers attcha WinkSmile

ps And I do remember that other thread but she never fessed up.

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Aug 29 2014, 4:51am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 7:06am

Post #37 of 71 (1718 views)
Shortcut
As a now world-famous "elderly victim"... [In reply to] Can't Post

...It's clear now everyone knows my age. But I got here first! Did, so!

As elderly folk go, though, I'm doing ok. Just got back from an expedition to the Arctic, including Iceland, Greenland, and the northern Canadian Arctic archipelago, in which we reproduced much of Franklin and Amundsen's Northwest Passage route, but like Franklin, we were blocked by pack ice. This being 2014, we were helped out by a lovely Canadian icebreaker, and, though thwarted in our original goal, went north to Ellesmere Is., 76.5 deg. N, 1000 nautical miles from the North Pole, and went hiking there.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 7:08am

Post #38 of 71 (1697 views)
Shortcut
Yay, we'll show these young whippersnappers...// [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 8:50am

Post #39 of 71 (1708 views)
Shortcut
*high five* [In reply to] Can't Post

Go Team Libra!

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 29 2014, 10:06am

Post #40 of 71 (1696 views)
Shortcut
I answered never ask a lady [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

But it is a kind of a joke, because in my personal page I have written my birthdate... so if you are interested.. go and check it for yourself...
Anyway, younger than my avatar Miranda Otto.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 1:48pm

Post #41 of 71 (1695 views)
Shortcut
I have you know... [In reply to] Can't Post

that a number of us kind of gritted our teeth at that description. Only a 'young' person would think that was an appropriate description. lol... esp. for you!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 7:01pm

Post #42 of 71 (1682 views)
Shortcut
My siblings and I get that treatment all the time... [In reply to] Can't Post

We all have young-looking faces and while it might be the envy of our peers, it is nothing but a nuisance whenever we have to register for things that require you to be a legal adult.

"So we'll just need your parents' signature here, and then we'll be set!"

"Uh... check my ID. I'm (ages range anywhere from 20-36)"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 7:39pm

Post #43 of 71 (1668 views)
Shortcut
Aw, Rem [In reply to] Can't Post

You’ve got big problems!

Tell you what – to allay some of your inconvenience I’ll give you some of my wrinkles and saggy butt, but in exchange you have to take 20 of my years. Deal?

But Elizabeth (I’m guessing) and I get senior discounts usually without even asking – Ha ha. Smile

And, more importantly, I’ve never been ID’d buying a pint of the best beer in Eastfarthing either! And the Little People there listen with rapt attention to my lies about my youth. Cool

** preparing for afternoon nappy **

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 8:16pm

Post #44 of 71 (1681 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry. I only picked on Advising Elf for making the very same mistake for, oh...years! =) [In reply to] Can't Post

He had earned it, though, so you're fine. ;)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 8:25pm

Post #45 of 71 (1671 views)
Shortcut
And another advantage of the 70-80 range [In reply to] Can't Post

was for my parents.

My total hospital birth bill $64.60 (Paid in cash.)

(includes a panda doll from gift shop eighty-five cents, and something done with a sharp knife, two dollars - I know, that’s more info. than you wanted to know). UnsureUnsure

Those were the days my friends. Now you can’t even fill up your SUV for $64.60!

Insurance - fugetaboutit !

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 8:42pm

Post #46 of 71 (1667 views)
Shortcut
I have both feet now firmly planted in the 50-60 range [In reply to] Can't Post

I just turned 51. I like my age. However, after working two 12 hour shifts back-to-back and then driving 3 hours home I'm starting to worry about being able to work long enough at this job to be able to retire (And I'm not even talking about living high, I just want to be able to afford the basics.) My family's genetics are catching up with me and it's getting harder to stand for that long a stretch. I have invested in my kids' educations. Maybe they will take care of me? Crazy I wish that lottery guy would pick the correct tickets (mine) just once, then I could stop fussing about it all. Cool

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Aug 29 2014, 8:43pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 30 2014, 1:59am

Post #47 of 71 (1678 views)
Shortcut
I loved being 42. [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, that's the answer.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 30 2014, 2:04am

Post #48 of 71 (1666 views)
Shortcut
I had my "golden birthday" last year. [In reply to] Can't Post

That means my age matched the last two digits of my birth year. If you use some algebra, you can figure out how old I am :-) (given that I was born in the 20th century, I guess.) That might make a good problem for my next algebra test.

Welcome back, W1K1 :-)

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Aug 30 2014, 2:05am)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2014, 11:53am

Post #49 of 71 (1655 views)
Shortcut
$64.60? [In reply to] Can't Post

For the entire bill? The hospital charged us that much for the box of tissues I used after my son was born. Tongue

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 30 2014, 2:32pm

Post #50 of 71 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Yes, $64.60 [In reply to] Can't Post

for the entire hospital bill. A two day stay in 1941.

I don't know what the doctor charged. Maybe $8.00 - outrageous! Mad
And doctors happily made house calls. Smile Can you believe it?

And right Riven Delve - an aspirin at the hospital today costs about $8.00.
That's progress - TongueTongue

ps I just googled the average hospital cost, per stay at $3,500.00 at today's prices - and that doesn't include a panda doll.. Evil

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.