Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws Open Door* It's Fiesta Friday!!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 6:30pm

Post #26 of 44 (2713 views)
Shortcut
Who knows what crazy ideas I might come up with [In reply to] Can't Post

But for starters I really think I should do something about that missing Wikipedia page.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 29 2014, 6:35pm

Post #27 of 44 (2707 views)
Shortcut
I'll be at the mall with my female relatives, sister, and mom tomorrow. [In reply to] Can't Post

And then we'll hang out around the house and pool while the the guys watch the football.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Annael
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 8:11pm

Post #28 of 44 (2702 views)
Shortcut
uh, not my son-in-law [In reply to] Can't Post

my cousin's. Which makes him my cousin-in-law once removed I believe.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 8:49pm

Post #29 of 44 (2709 views)
Shortcut
*pssst*... Gramma... [In reply to] Can't Post

I need someone just like you to 'talk me down'. =)

I already have two large Tolkien-inspired projects on the needles at the moment (among the, uh, several non-Tolkiendom ones currently in limbo), including one I just started with my handspun Stansborough, and I had been trying to decide on an elvish glove pattern for some more of the same handspun before that. I postponed the gloves and started the second big project instead, so I really shouldn't be thinking of another, but...but...but... I got the heads-up that this pattern was just released, which I really-really-reallyREALLY don't need to buy right away and get started on...do I? ...
;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 8:52pm

Post #30 of 44 (2703 views)
Shortcut
You wild and crazy kids! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great weekend! The rain is like what happened at Bombadil's. You have more important things to do... like hang out with your Wifey. Most Excellent!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 8:56pm

Post #31 of 44 (2695 views)
Shortcut
*drools* OF COURSE YOU DO! [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG! FABULOUS!

Now... what you do it get ahold of it, but it into a special box or container, write on it "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL... uh... PROFESSOR TOLKIEN'S BIRTHDAY" and deny temptation! Just knowing it's there resting and waiting for you will curb your anxiety... for you KNOW you're going to do this project! That's where the anxiety is coming from. The WHAT IF or SHOULD I or OMG, I'M DROWNING! Tuck it away, rest your mind, and enjoy doing it peacefully when the time is right :)

Here's some pink lemonade. Be Calm and Say Yes :)

I wanna see these projects when you're done! *shivers with excitement*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 8:59pm

Post #32 of 44 (2691 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG! Here's some stuff to hold you all over! Have a great time :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 9:17pm

Post #33 of 44 (2691 views)
Shortcut
Buy it! Buy it now, EoPW! [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the heads-up that this pattern was just released, which I really-really-reallyREALLY don't need to buy right away and get started on...do I? ...

I'm still only half way through my first scarf, but you!, you can do this! Who thinks of these things? Who makes patterns like these? Geniuses! And they depend on knitters like you to fulfil their visions. THEN! You could adapt it and make a vest! (not being sarcastic, how cool would a vest be with that pattern!) So, you get no help from me here, girl. It is your solemn obligation to make these and then send pics (no rush).

No three-day weekend here, Gramma, but I'm going to have a fish and chips night with friends and play a board game. I'm making a lactose- and gluten-free pumpkin pie for dessert. Wish me luck - and I'll have a trim flat white to go with it, thanks. (maybe a dollop of whipped cream on the top)

Cheers

Kim
Valinor

Aug 30 2014, 3:35am

Post #34 of 44 (2680 views)
Shortcut
TGIF! The long weekend is here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally done with another loooooong week at work, so ready for the weekend! I believe I too will be adhering to the "sleeping in and in my jammies til noon reading TORn" plan. The weather isn't supposed to be very nice, so perhaps a movie marathon of some sort will be in order. The sun is supposed to come back towards the end of the weekend, so hopefully will be able to enjoy one last gasp of summer with a picnic or some other outdoorsy activity (and yes, sitting outside reading my book counts as an outdoorsy activity). Tongue

Happy weekend all!

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 30 2014, 5:19am

Post #35 of 44 (2680 views)
Shortcut
Peach Festival for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I live near a great farmer's market- Green Bluff. There are about 30 farmers within a twelve square mile radius, and their market has an excellent array of fruits, veggies, farm crafts, wine (if you're into that sort of thing- I never cared for it), activities, farm run restaurants, etc.

The Peach Festival is going on right now, and we're going up Sunday afternoon after church with my grandmother (who lives halfway between us and it- it's about an hour and a half drive from my house). We are going to do u-pick peaches (mainly) for canning, and I also hope to score some potatoes, some pickling cucumbers (to can pickles), some herbs, some nectarines, some berries, etc.

Last year, friends of the family got apples for TWELVE ($0.12) cents a pound up there! Not kidding- they got 900 lbs of apples and made applesauce, sliced apples in the freezer, canned apples, and pressed cider. I won't get THAT many, but am hoping for an excellent price on u-pick peaches too Smile (for my non-US friends, the grocery store price is usually about $1.20 a pound at LEAST for apples, sometimes even going up to $3.00 a pound, so twelve cents a pound is only 4-10% of what grocery stores charge for out of season produce at it's cheapest!)

We also are going to go to one of the three farm restaurants/shops for lunch, where the food is fresh from the farms (that means I can eat it! YAY! Sensitive gut means no processed foods) and during this Peach Festival there will be an assortment of peach pies, cobblers, a la modes, drinks, smoothies, tarts, etc- YUM!!!!

It should be a LOT of fun, and my girls love going to farms and such (we hope to have a farm like those ones someday when my husband is finally done with his master's degree- so in about three years or so).

Makes me excited for the Apple Festival up there in a month- THAT'S the big one- hayrides, fresh pressed cider, pumpkin patch, corn maze, popcorn/sweet corn, apples (obviously)- oh can't wait! Cool

And since we're on the topic, I think a HUGE glass (think a gallon) of fresh pressed apple cider straight from the farm for me, m'dear Sly

Due to health reasons I am slightly fructose intolerant as a side effect of my condition (began to be so about two years ago), which means I can only have 8 oz of juice in an hour (or one serving/one cup of fruit at once, which sucks because I love fruit) or I will get nasty, vicious stomach cramps Frown. So the virtual opportunity to down an entire gallon of my absolute favorite juice in the world would be wonderful Heart

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 30 2014, 5:30pm

Post #36 of 44 (2672 views)
Shortcut
You need to get that pattern! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially now, while the seller is offering 20% off! It's a sign...

Then, when you do finally make it, I suggest using some kind of yarn with a silver metallic thread woven into it for the gate design and letters. Smile I think that would look awesome!
I wish I could knit. Post pictures when you're done!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Aug 30 2014, 8:21pm

Post #37 of 44 (2669 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, Dire Straits... [In reply to] Can't Post

ideal with a glass of red wine and some cheesy nibbles. An awaiting (twice delayed!) delivery of a small summerhouse to fit in the corner of my garden - yes, I know, just as summer is slamming the door on her way out! Heigh ho... By next Fiesta it should be in place, as long as whoever is fitting the concrete base doesn't do a disappearing act, like the last bloke did...*sigh*
Happy weekend, all, especially those of you for whom it is a long one!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 30 2014, 9:45pm

Post #38 of 44 (2667 views)
Shortcut
Bomby izz moving quickly into "BRONCOS" mode.. [In reply to] Can't Post

OUR Colorado Sports team often defines
US?

Almost WON the Super Bowl?
Except for ...

"The HIKE! Seen & HEARD... round the WORLD"?

A Seattle SeaDUCKS..Safety"..(2 points?)
w/ jus' 22 seconds
Gone in THE Game...?

IF you Ever wonder why..ARE?

Sunsets are ORANGE?

Now, you know...
GOD LOVES THEMzzzzz'...
Broncos..?

(Watch out, KIM? Bomby izz comin' to GET YOU?)

Crazy
Seriously, Bomby is" Linking"
my new "Sampler" Website to many
Internet AVENUES? of Exchange..

Linkdin, Facebook, Pinterest, Photobucket, Twitter, WordPress,,,ETC

Did Bomby
miss ONE?

OUR Aspen Tree Forests, & little Rivers
usually TURN Golden... about the 3rd Week of September
here...
Should BE...something to see?

Coming to Colorado?

LOOK up?
Bomby...

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Kim
Valinor

Aug 30 2014, 10:20pm

Post #39 of 44 (2674 views)
Shortcut
Go Hawks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting memory you have:

Almost WON the Super Bowl?
Except for ...

"The HIKE! Seen & HEARD... round the WORLD"?

A Seattle SeaDUCKS..Safety"..(2 points?)
w/ jus' 22 seconds
Gone in THE Game...?

Well, yeah, plus the other 41 points we scored to defeat Denver 43-8. Tongue

(Watch out, KIM? Bomby izz comin' to GET YOU?)

Bring it Bomby! Cool

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Aug 31 2014, 8:33pm

Post #40 of 44 (2643 views)
Shortcut
Those are GORGEOUS... [In reply to] Can't Post

This, from a woman who can just about knit a square... *sigh*

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2014, 12:34am

Post #41 of 44 (2633 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... the weather here [In reply to] Can't Post

is kinda challenging, too ;) I think we're supposed to relax on this long weekend. So I think I'll just have to oblige :)

Have a great time, Kim!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2014, 12:42am

Post #42 of 44 (2630 views)
Shortcut
I love farm festivals! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's such a bummer that you're restricted on your fruit fancy...so you DEFINITELY can have as much as you want here :)

We have all sorts of farmer's markets and festivals here, too. Up north, there the cherry festival, here we have maple syrup and apple festivals, east are the tater and corn festivals, west are the berries festivals, and south is the Medieval festival ;)

I hope you had a wonderful time at your Peach Festival today!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2014, 12:48am

Post #43 of 44 (2634 views)
Shortcut
I hope your house showed up :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Cripes, that sounds like fun. Looking out in the yard and seeing a little home settled in the corner. I've been thinking of doing the same sort of thing :)

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 1 2014, 4:42am

Post #44 of 44 (2639 views)
Shortcut
We had a lot of fun :) [In reply to] Can't Post

We got 23 lbs of peaches for $1/lb, 17 lbs of bartlett pears at $0.85/lb, and my pickling cucumbers, dill, some bell peppers, and some rhubarb added up to less than $10 total Smile Will be canning the peaches tomorrow, pickling the cucumbers probably in a day or two (making both dill and bread/butter), making more salsa this week with my tomatoes from my garden and the bell peppers (had a lot of success with my tomatoes and bell peppers for my first three pints, but ran out of bells after picking my five bushes dry), and probably do the pears toward the end of the week (they need a few more days shelf ripening time).

The rhubarb is for the rest of my strawberry patch- I will be making strawberry rhubarb pie (had it in baking school, and it is SO, SO good!). I was going to use my rhubarb bush (here when we moved in) but I accidentally stepped on it cutting down an unwanted shrub (forgot it was there). I discovered a yellow raspberry cane when doing so, though, so it evened out Wink

I have already canned18.5 quarts of bing cherries from my inlaw's tree (it went absolutely berserk this year- there were more cherries than branch and I'm not exaggerating), made 31 pints of jam (some to keep, some to share with family, and plan on making some more as the strawberry blueberry was quite popular), and made 3 pints of salsa. I have frozen some cherry tomatoes (and eaten some- only froze some because my four bushes went berserk too), as well as about a dozen yellow squash (with more on the bushes- they did phenomenal this year). And I'm freezing my large tomatoes as they come in until I have enough for salsa/stewed tomato batches, then using them. I have also acquired a gallon of blueberries and two gallons of huckleberries- both frozen- from a local farmstand. Winter prep is well on it's way Cool

We got to ride on a wagon out to the orchard (pulled by a tractor- I personally prefer a horse drawn one because the back end of a horse, to me, smells a LOT better than diesel fuel exhaust lol Tongue Farm girl all the way), but it was still fun. We also got to see some farm animals, walk inside an old homestead log cabin (only 10x12 feet inside- old stove, old straw and clay chinking still in place though some gaps have formed in the walls- it was so neat and baffling how pioneer families managed in such a small space!), and we ate lunch made from farm fresh foods Smile And then we got to peruse a huge vegetable farm and see all the varieties of stuff they had to offer.

Over 30 farms are in this area and participate in the festivals (not all participate in each one, as some have produce that's not in season with others) so we went to three farms today in the span of three hours (they all closed at five, and we went after church). And my girls got to play in a child size tee-pee in the picnicking area at one of the farms, which they thought was great! They asked me to come in too, but, well- I was in my usual ankle length dress and the door was only eighteen inches high....Evil

The Apple Festival is the big one (it's enormous) with corn mazes, wagon rides/hayrides, pumpkin patch/corn, cider, etc- probably their biggest festival of the year. It starts September 20th and runs through October 26th, and we're quite excited for it Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.