First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2014, 7:35pm

Post #26 of 31 (1008 views)
Shortcut
I think I understand.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It still looks pretty intense, though!!

There are a few different forms of Aikido. Some fall more on the spiritual side (I've heard it likened to Yoga and Tai Chi, but no experience of it myself.), and some are more physical with varying degrees of focus on offensive movement. In all forms, the core beliefs of the founder, Morihei Ueshiba, focus on the deescalation of a violent situation through avoiding conflict or controlling it with minimum effort or violence. With this mindset, of course, there are a far less number of strikes and kicks involved, while pins, throws, and joint manipulation is favoured. The competitive aspect of many other arts is also mostly missing. There are not many tournaments or competitions, instead, the main opponent you need conquer is not your partner, but yourself, and the challenge is to constantly improve.

In my dojo, we focus on taking the strength of the attacker, redirecting it to unbalance him/her, then go for a throw or pin. In some cases, we don't even have to execute a technique, and the only action taken is to extricate ourselves from a dangerous situation. (The best method of self-defence is spelled 'RUN'.) I suppose it is more self-defence oriented, in the sense that we are trained to not seek out conflict, (Indeed, most of the techniques are reactionary in nature), but to be ready if we have to intervene-- and to do so in a manner that reduces overall tension and aggression. In most of the techniques that I have learned, the basis is one where you add your own strength to that of the attacker, moving in harmony with them, while altering the original trajectory of their motion, thus creating an irresistible, multiplied force that puts them off-balance and forces them to move into a vulnerable position. Though we don't preform them, we also are shown how a more aggressive form of techniques can be executed to take advantage of any vulnerability in a life-or-death situation. (e.g. Using a free hand while executing a technique for a strike a face or other vital point, or continuing a throw or lock through to hyper-extend a joint)

Aikido itself derives from a common school, Aiki-jujutsu, with Judo and shares many similarities, but the differences between them are a result of the more pacifist views of the founder, Morihei, that focused on protecting the attacker as well as the aikido-ka. (Practioner of Aikido). It is also worth noting that Aikido principles have been incorporated into many law-enforcement and private security training programs, and that it occupies a large part of the Japanese police force's physical training, being mandatory for female officers.

I could talk a lot more, but there is a lot of things that I could not effectively communicate, but if you have any specific questions, I'll try to anwser them.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 2:50am

Post #27 of 31 (995 views)
Shortcut
The assistant instructor has both Akido and Karate backgrounds and the [In reply to] Can't Post

head instructor also is very involved with the karate teaching and coaching of the competitive team. The Krav curriculum was added for those seeking a more practical, real world self defense system. The head Krav instructor is from Romania and he learned Krav from a countryman who lives in Vancouver, BC. He comes down to our dojo about once every year or two and puts on a seminar. This year they are doing a 4 day instructors course...I am not taking that....it is basically all day each day and very intense. We also have quite a few local police in the curriculum and one of them is also an instructor.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 6:08pm

Post #28 of 31 (987 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like you enjoy it... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great that you have such a varied pool of instructors to learn from.

I do agree that Aikido is a little impractical for anyone who is going to be involved in dangerous situations on a regular basis, or in the near future. It takes a bit more time to master the techniques to use them effectively, especially if you are facing another trained martial artist. Krav Maga, boxing, and many other forms of self-defence would probably be more suited to a soldier, aspiring MMA contender, or other person committed to a dangerous career. I also know that there are strict regulations imposed upon some of my dojo-mates. They are law enforcement or security officers and when they started their jobs, they were given a list of 'approved' physical techniques that they must adhere to, so if they tried to incorporate anything outside the list, they'd be in a lot of trouble. Aikido is a bit of a late starter, IMHO.

One person I train with is an accomplished martial artist with a Karate/Judo/BJJ background, and he said that when he started Aikido more than ten years ago, he could easily have put anyone in his class down with Karate/BJJ/Judo, but now -- given his age, other factors, and more proficiency in Aikido--, he feels that he'd still be more than a match for anything his younger self would have thrown at him, plus having the experience of other martial arts to fall back on. His theory is that if an attacker, whose object is to engage in a battle of strength to beat his opponent to the ground, is confronted by an Aikido-ka that is of at least an equal skill level, then the advantage lies with the Aikido-ka because they are doing something that the attacker is not expecting. The Aikido-ka has been taught to not fight or engage in a contest of strength, and this is a totally foreign concept to the attacker. Instead, their goal is to avoid conflict, and extricate himself from the situation without having to 'win'. So, he says that if you have no choice but to engage in a conflict, the best way to 'win' would be a method where you can manage to walk away. There is no need to crush anyone into the dirt, because when you walk away, you automatically defuse a violent situation and break the other party's will to fight, all without kindling a desire for retribution because of a bruised ego.

(This post was edited by Rembrethil on Aug 29 2014, 6:09pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 8:03pm

Post #29 of 31 (977 views)
Shortcut
Right, our focus is to survive and get away, not get into a [In reply to] Can't Post

wrestling match etc. And when confronted with a knife, run if you can. If not, you have to expect to get cut, but your aim is to limit where you are cut..i.e. non vital. Self defense is anything goes...no ring rules...so eye gouging, biting, whatever it takes are part of your training (conceptually at least). Police officers concentrate more on apprehension, trying to cuff etc. vs some of the moves we citizens might make like stomping on ankles or knees as a finishing shot before running away.

Good luck with your ongoing training!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2014, 6:18pm

Post #30 of 31 (971 views)
Shortcut
Good luck to you too!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or, as we say in my dojo, Gambatte!!!

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 4 2014, 7:45pm

Post #31 of 31 (997 views)
Shortcut
Fits movie-Aragorn's fighting technique [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn is very aggressive, every defense is an offense, uses lot of pointwork. He already has a long reach, extends that with constant forward action. But his style depends on keeping his opponents on the defensive, relying on superior speed. Not to mention surprise. It's risky though, if he were to slip up or face an equally skilled and aggressive opponent he's much more open to serious injury, especially if flanked. But it's hard to get close enough to him.
-Swordmaster Bob Anderson

Buri-Ghân-Ghân Buri-Buri-Ghân-Ghân
Oh you Buri-Buri-Ghân-Ghân
Buri-Buri-Ghân-Ghân we love you.
And our Buri-Buri-Ghân-Ghân
Buri-Buri-Ghân-Ghân loves us too.
East, west, anywhere we go, on Buri-Ghân we depend
Ghân-Ghân-Buri-Buri-Ghân-Ghân
Our fine Drúedainic friend!
Ghân-Ghân-Buri-Buri-Ghân-Ghân
Our fine Drúedainic friend!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.