Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Chapter of the Week: Bard the Bowman

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 29, 6:13pm

Views: 595
Shortcut
Chapter of the Week: Bard the Bowman Can't Post

Welcome everyone to this week's chapter! This is my very first CHOW so bear with me if I make any mistakes, I'm learning!

In our first image Bard has just taken the Dwarves unaware. He aims his bow at them as if to shoot.
Questions:
1 Why do you think Bard would almost have shot them? Did he think they were orcs?
2 What Bard have actually shot them seeing they are not orcs? Was his intention to shoot or just to frighten them?
3 Is Bard just naturally suspicious? Is it in his character to kill people? Has Bard become hardened or ruthless living in Laketown?

In our next image we get a look at Thorin's reaction.
Questions:
1 Thorin's looks only slightly surprised. Why is this? Is he just so weary that he is too exhausted to feel any emotion?
2 Does Thorin's face show any other emotions?

The other dwarves become frightened and Kili reaches for a knife to throw. He throws and Bard deflects it and loses an arrow.
Questions:
1 Why does Kili go straight for the knife? Does this eagerness to fight come from an impulsiveness that we have seen in Kili before? Is this a further sign of his recklessness?

Meanwhile Balin does not move to take action.
Questions:
1 What do you think Balin is thinking?

After Bard lowers his weapons they go over to his boat. It is now Balin strikes a conversation with him.
Questions:
1 Why does Balin engage Bard? Why do you think he asked about his family? Do you think Balin does this to seem approachable and sympathetic?
2 How does Bard react to this? Does he feel that Balin is violating his privacy or is he touched by his concern?

At this point in the dwarves story Bard remarks on the barrels.
Questions:
1 How does Bard know these barrels are from Mirkwood?
2 Would Bard as a barge man often see barrels like these?

Finally what do you think makes Bard help the dwarves? His decision seems to weigh heavily on his previous conversation with Balin.
Questions:
1 Why Does Balin think he will help them? Does he think Bard's poverty will tempt him?
2 Does Bard ultimately decide to help for hope of monetary gain or do his actions have a more noble motive?

Any other additional thoughts?

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 29, 9:03pm)

Subject User Time
Chapter of the Week: Bard the Bowman DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Aug 29, 6:13pm
    re: Retro315 Send a private message to Retro315 Aug 29, 10:24pm
    AKA Bard the Bargeman, Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Aug 29, 11:14pm
        Well said! cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Sep 5, 1:04am
    my thoughts Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Aug 30, 6:14am
    The whole scene reminded me to the Moss Iisley cantina where they met Han Solo Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) Send a private message to Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) Aug 30, 9:48am
        "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"? Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Aug 30, 11:45am
            hahaha Ii thought Balin was gonna say 23 dwarves a hobbit and no questions to be answered... Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) Send a private message to Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) Aug 30, 11:58am
    My thoughts Noria Send a private message to Noria Aug 30, 12:50pm
    Oh no!!! Aranaes Send a private message to Aranaes Aug 30, 6:33pm
    Bard Kim Send a private message to Kim Aug 30, 7:32pm
    Thanks for the great feedback guys! DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Aug 30, 10:36pm
    fun topic, great character MirielCelebel Send a private message to MirielCelebel Sep 1, 4:22am
    Working backwards on catching up! cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Sep 5, 1:03am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.