Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Geography of BOFA Question

Brucewayne75

Aug 29 2014, 1:42pm

Post #1 of 7 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Geography of BOFA Question Can't Post

Hey guys and girls, I'm a pretty new fan of Hobbit and LOTR, and I had a question about the final movie in the Hobbit trilogy. Will it pretty much take place in 3 locations(The Mountain, Dale, and Lake Town)?

And my second question is how close are these 3 places to each other. The movies make them look really close together. Thanks! Smile

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 2:11pm

Post #2 of 7 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Well, those and Dol Guldur, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Distance-wise, in the book they are a few days travel apart but in the films the dwarves leave Lake-town at dawn and have reached the secret door by nightfall so rather closer.

Brucewayne75

Aug 29 2014, 2:15pm

Post #3 of 7 (995 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that seems like a pretty big difference...

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 2:42pm

Post #4 of 7 (968 views)
Shortcut
As long as you aren't the one moving the mountain it's probably ok. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to be sure of the distance. The only map with a scale is from the LOTR text and places the mountain perhaps 20 miles from Laketown.

The dwarves in the book weren't in quite the same hurry as those in the films so may have been travelling at a slightly more leisurely pace, but if we assume the film dwarves were going at a reasonable walking pace then they we could easily imagine them doing 12 miles or more. All pretty rough guesses, I should say to be clear.

I suppose more importantly than the physical difference is that I can't think of anything in the plot which is particularly impacted by having a shorter distance between the two. Nothing I can think of hinges on particular travelling times so I don't think it will make much difference in practice.

Brucewayne75

Aug 29 2014, 3:21pm

Post #5 of 7 (917 views)
Shortcut
Good point, well said. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile I was just wanting to get a feel for how large the physical scale of the geography was. Thanks!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 3:53pm

Post #6 of 7 (937 views)
Shortcut
Possible locations [In reply to] Can't Post

Addressing your second question first, the ruins of Dale are within a couple of miles from the Front Gate of Erebor, well withing the south-west and south-east spurs of the Mountain. The distance between Lake-town and Erebor (according to Tolkien's maps) is about 25 to 30 miles. Thranduil's caverns are about 50 miles to the west. The halls of the Iron Hills Dwarves are perhaps as much as 150 miles to the east.

Certain Locations:
- Lake-town
- Lonely Mountain
- Dale
- Dol Guldur
- Hobbiton/Bag End (return journey)

Other Possible Locations:
- Iron Hills
- Thranduil's Halls
- Rhosgobel
- Lothlorien
- Beorn's House (return journey)
- Rivendell (return journey)

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 29 2014, 3:54pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 30 2014, 3:06pm

Post #7 of 7 (815 views)
Shortcut
And lottsa fun should be had [In reply to] Can't Post

at Bilbo’s return to Bag End as he finds his belongings being auctioned off by Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes, because Bilbo had been “presumed dead”.

And it “was quite a time before Mr. Baggins was in fact admitted to be alive again.” But in the end he had to buy back most of his stuff – but many silver spoons were “never accounted for”. Hmm, I wonder?

Jackson could end here after many fights, scares, and hardships – on a lighter note.

Some say "Why"? - I say "Why not?"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.