RA and The Crucible Posters: new shots
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ShireHorse
Rohan

Aug 28 2014, 3:57pm

Post #1 of 26 (1155 views)
Shortcut
RA and The Crucible Posters: new shots Can't Post

Jay Brooks is a famous photographer in the UK who has worked with a lot of theatre stars and has produced posters for them. He was responsible for Martin Freeman's poster for Richard III, for instance, a strikingly different product from the ones he produced for The Crucible.

He tries to capture the spirit of the play and the character and people were taken aback by the three of RA as John Proctor: they are so striking that I'm sure they helped to put bums on seats.

First, we got the angry, stern Proctor, staring accusingly at us straight between the eyes:

https://www.facebook.com/...866773722185/?type=1

Then we got the guilty Proctor, with bowed head, full of shame for his secret:

http://meandrichard.wordpress.com/...-when-i-feel-silent/

And, finally we got the frail, damaged Proctor, after three months of being tortured in prison, perhaps:

http://richardarmitagecentral.co.uk/3rd-crucible-poster/

They were everywhere, not only encircling the theatre but on all of London's Tubes.

Now, Jay Brooks has released a couple more and promises that he will release the others too. They are very good, but I can see why the first three were selected, mainly because they show JP's character arc.

We have one that seems to be rather similar to the first poster, but not quite so good:

https://theanglophilechannel.files.wordpress.com/...08/raexclusive1b.jpg

And then we have rather a spectacular one of JP which I am sure represents the moment when he has a wash in the second act (trying to wash away his sin, perhaps?) For all those of you who missed this shirt-off moment, well, here you go. Armitage Agonistes has given us some close ups as well as the full thing:

http://armitageagonistes.wordpress.com/2014/08/27/detail/

Someone in the posts has said it reminds her of a Caravaggio painting and it does me too. This photographer has really done a magnificent job.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2014, 4:27am

Post #2 of 26 (988 views)
Shortcut
Great shots! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Shirehorse!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2014, 11:27am

Post #3 of 26 (973 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for these links [In reply to] Can't Post

These are all such wonderful photos of RA as Proctor. The fourth one, in the dark coat with the more enigmatic expression on his face, is probably my favorite, just because it's a little harder to read and to pin down what the character is thinking, but they are all wonderful. Fantastic posters.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Aug 29 2014, 12:46pm

Post #4 of 26 (989 views)
Shortcut
And another photoshoot with Sir Ian [In reply to] Can't Post

RA went on another photoshoot yesterday, this time for The Hobbit. He has been making jokes on his Twitter account that he needs to disguise his John Proctor beard and has asked for suggestions. He's been getting a load of weird and wonderful responses and he said that the best would be used on the photoshoot.

The photographer is Sarah Dunn who has photographed him before and who is a long-term friend. Here's a lovely shot of them together:

https://twitter.com/...s/505006747950788608

And then he tweeted a photo of him together with 'the wizard'!

https://twitter.com/...s/505006963953262593

I don't know if Ian McKellan will be shot with him or if they are being photographed as individuals. Whatever the case, they will be themselves and not their characters.

I'll let you know when the shoot is available.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2014, 2:57pm

Post #5 of 26 (961 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

What adorable pics.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2014, 4:24pm

Post #6 of 26 (968 views)
Shortcut
I love that selfie of Ian and RA. [In reply to] Can't Post

Such lovely smiles!

I wonder if she's doing another Hobbit photoshoot, like her last one: http://www.sarahdunnphoto.co.uk/...pecials/#prettyPhoto

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

ShireHorse
Rohan

Aug 29 2014, 8:10pm

Post #7 of 26 (957 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the reminder, dernwyn, [In reply to] Can't Post

about her previous photoshoot. I'm in two minds about it: there are some great shots there, like the elegant one of Ian McKellen. The close-up of RA is good, especially since he was growing his hair at the time and I think it looked a bit bouffant, but the ones of the cast dancing around and taking up odd postures did absolutely nothing for me, LOL!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2014, 2:55am

Post #8 of 26 (931 views)
Shortcut
And to go with this...from the Q&A [In reply to] Can't Post

held at the Old Vic before the show tonight, here's a really nice preliminary transcript, courtesy of richardarmitagenet.com:

http://richardarmitagenet.com/raconvo.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 4 2014, 10:34am

Post #9 of 26 (927 views)
Shortcut
And I was lucky enough to be there..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the transcript- I confess that I did try to record some of the conversation on my phone, but the quality was appalling, so duly deleted. I went to see the Crucible on 25th July- totally blew me away and it stayed with me for several days afterwards. I had front row seats, and since the play was performed in the round, it felt like we were right in there with the action. At times Richard was standing within touching distance and the pure, raw energy emanating from him in this part was something to behold. At times I was frightened of him- especially when he was rampaging angrily across the stage in our direction!! But, whilst the whole play was deeply moving and all the actors were excellent, Richard transcended them all imo (and not just because he is RA). He WAS John Proctor at that moment in time- his intensity was awesome, in the literal sense of the word. As the play closed and John Proctor walks off into the light, you could have heard the proverbial pin drop... if it weren't for the semi-suppressed sniffs and sobs around the auditorium. At the curtain call, the cast all trooped on together and Richard was blinking in the light, as though not sure where he was and how he had got there. He looked exhausted and surprised to see so many people around him. He then came back on stage alone to take his bows- and I admit that I was one of those who led his standing ovation- if ever one was deserved....
A couple of weeks later, I received an email from the Old Vic with a priority booking invite to Richard's "In Conversation". Our seats were not as good as last time, but still pretty good. It was nice to see Richard appearing so relaxed (not to mention sexy in black skinny jeans and white shirt!!) and he was as charming as usual. We were all amazed and amused that his research had taken him to working in a cowshed near Salem for a few days. That is dedication indeed! £5 to listen to Richard Armitage for 45 minutes? Well worth every penny and more.
Overall, from seeing the play and his interview, I think we are in for a treat from his final scenes as Thorin, if he brings even half the emotion and intensity that he did to John Proctor. Me, I'm taking at least two boxes of "Mansize" Kleenex.....

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in July. This is the special LOTR 60th Anniversary TAS- for details, see the TAS threads in the Reading Room

ShireHorse
Rohan

Sep 4 2014, 6:08pm

Post #10 of 26 (911 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed reading that, elaen. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a lot. There were cameras there, weren't there? Someone talked to the staff about them and was told it was for the archives.

Aw! C'mon! Don't you need money for a new roof? If you can auction a signed bottle of bubbly to raise money, doesn't common sense tell you that a DVD would raise even more?

http://www.hatchmansfield.com/...-taittinger-jeroboam

Kim
Valinor

Sep 5 2014, 2:13am

Post #11 of 26 (899 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

Just when I've reconciled myself to the fact that I can't see this performance in person, I read this and am *this close* to hopping a plane. Thanks for sharing your experience of both the play and the conversation. Here's another great write up of the Q&A:http://www.filmandtvnow.com/...versation-interview/

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

ShireHorse
Rohan

Sep 5 2014, 10:53am

Post #12 of 26 (903 views)
Shortcut
And here's a tweet from Film and TV Now [In reply to] Can't Post

about the response to their article:

Film and TV Now ‏@filmandtvnow 45m
The power of Richard Armitage fans - you lovely lot temporarily crashed the website, but it's now up and running again! ;)

This happened once before, LOL, when the BBC website crashed after the first episode of North and South was shown.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Sep 5 2014, 11:03am

Post #13 of 26 (906 views)
Shortcut
I meant to add [In reply to] Can't Post

that a recent performance of The Crucible had to be cancelled because of electrical problems and some people who had flown from the other side of the world went home very upset. People were given refunds and a free drink and RA came into the bar to console them.

The theatre, cast and crew got together on this and emailed all the people who had bought tickets and offered them free tickets for an extra matinee performance on Tuesday, 9th September. Then yesterday, they put the one hundred tickets that had not been taken up for sale. They sold out within hours.

Looking at the seat plan, it did occur to me that there were gaps that hadn't been there before and I'm hoping they're going to film it for a DVD.

RA also tweeted that the theatre were about to make an announcement. Again, people are hoping it will be about a DVD.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2014, 12:13pm

Post #14 of 26 (899 views)
Shortcut
And here it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

The announcement all of us on this side of the pond have been waiting for! Looks like they will be filming The Crucible and making it available for download and on DVD as well as.... Yes, you guessed it, Screening it in select theaters! Whoo HOOOOOOOO!

(Pardon the formatting of the tweets, I just did a quick copy paste)

1. Retweeted by Richard Armitage The Old Vic Theatre ‏@oldvictheatre 37m
    #TheCrucible will be available to buy as a download and watch online around the world + screened in selected cinemas Expand
  2. Retweeted by Richard Armitage The Old Vic Theatre ‏@oldvictheatre 38m
    We can announce that @DigitalTheatre will film The Old Vic production of #TheCrucible starring @RCArmitage, directed by @Yfarber

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

ShireHorse
Rohan

Sep 5 2014, 12:50pm

Post #15 of 26 (898 views)
Shortcut
I'm so very, very pleased for those who have missed it! [In reply to] Can't Post

(And pretty pleased for myself too!)

And it's Digital Theatre! They are a marvellously professional company. They don't just stand at the back and do a straight shoot. They tend to come to three performances and do close-ups etc so that it is more 'filmic'. Here is their site: check out the clip of David Tennant's Much Ado About Nothing so that you can get an idea of their skills:

http://www.digitaltheatre.com/browse/all

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2014, 2:32pm

Post #16 of 26 (880 views)
Shortcut
The news has me on the verge of coding from the adrenaline rush // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by The Grey Elf on Sep 5 2014, 2:34pm)

Kim
Valinor

Sep 5 2014, 4:44pm

Post #17 of 26 (870 views)
Shortcut
WOOHOO!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yay! I'm so glad they are doing this - excited that I'll finally get to see it! I hope I'm in one of those select cities. Shocked

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2014, 6:16pm

Post #18 of 26 (873 views)
Shortcut
I can see it now: [In reply to] Can't Post

come December, after it's been shared with the world, a new thread (or two or three) for some intellectual discussion of the meaning and merits of YF's Crucible and RA's Proctor. (Interspersed, perhaps, with some entirely justified fangirling.) I will see you there, ShireHorse!

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2014, 6:26pm

Post #19 of 26 (866 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your review, elaen [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been waiting for it and am very glad, despite our predisposition to be biased, that you are agreement with the near universal respect Richard has earned with his performance. And now those of us across the pond can look forward to seeing this extraordinary production, too. Given the good things SH has noted about the company that will be recording it, sounds like it may have something to offer even those lucky enough to see it at the Old Vic. Richard performs down to his last pore so his close ups should be searing!

Now, why isn't it December yet? Cool

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 5 2014, 10:16pm

Post #20 of 26 (862 views)
Shortcut
I seriously doubt I live in one of the select cities... [In reply to] Can't Post

unless it comes to Vancouver (BC), since I'm only about an hour away, so all I have to do is hop on a bus (which is a lot cheaper than acquiring a passport first, since this is the only reason I didn't enter the Hobbit fan contest. I met all the other requirements). The farthest I've been in the States is Lynden in Washington State (which is not that far away from you, Kim) but that was a while back, as part of some class trip or something (I can't really remember what it was, though it may have something to do with rollerskating, but I'm not certain). And thanks for your review, elaen, did you know that you attended The Crucible on my 42nd birthday? What a lovely birthday present that would have been (expensive, but lovely, and there's a good chance I would have opted to go with a close friend or co-worker, since I'm the only fan in my family. That I'm aware of, anyway. It's the same with Tolkien, since most of my family don't enjoy the same things that I do). And I've never been responsible for crashing a website, so hopefully, it wasn't because of me.Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Sep 5 2014, 10:24pm)

Kim
Valinor

Sep 6 2014, 2:38am

Post #21 of 26 (851 views)
Shortcut
And here I was thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

I did have a part in crashing the website (hee, hee). And it could happen again today, here's part 1 of their transcript and some soundbites http://www.filmandtvnow.com/...transcript-part-one/

Too bad you don't have a passport in the event it does come to Seattle, although I would think Vancouver BC would be a big enough market. Ah well, at least we'll be able to own it for ourselves soon!

glor
Rohan

Sep 7 2014, 7:34pm

Post #22 of 26 (846 views)
Shortcut
I wonder how many Cinemas it will be shown in? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it could potentially be more than recent NT live screenings. Theatre is using the power of the internet to market itself in new ways and allow new audiences to view what once limited to those with bank balances and means to get to the theatre.

The Crucible is a standard text for many students, this production has garnered a relatively huge internet buzz for a theatre production thanks to the combination of extraordinairy reviews and RA's fanbase. It also has something else that few theatre broadcasts have, a major Hollywood player behind it in the form of Kevin Spacey. Unlike many theatre based cinema releases of recent years, the Crucible is not from a subsidized but a, commercial theatre, one whose departing creative director, the aforementioned Kevin Spacey wishes to leave a 10 million pound legacy to, by raising money.

(Note; most of the recent limited cinema release theatre we have seen has been from subsidised theatre where the broadcasts have been made more or less, out of duty to fulfill their public remit, and less as a revenue stream)

There is the potential for this theatre broadcast to be far broader than we have experienced in the past; the market is bigger thanks to the RA fanbase and the standard text aspect( major productions of The Crucible, it should be noted are far rarer than they are for Shakespeare's standard school texts) and the need for the Old Vic to utilise cinema screenings as a revenue source could mean, this limited screening is far less limited than other theatre showings of the past.

It could, if it manages a seven day consecutive run in New York or LA, qualify for the Oscars. Don't dismiss that, whilst the film industry has struggled to deal with the multi-media age, Theatre is revelling in it. Theatre has worked out that cinema screenings and internet downloads is bringing new bottoms on theatre seats and allowing those who want but can't, attend major theatre productions to enjoy them too. couple that with a theatre head who knows how Hollywood works and has been a major player in rasing the profile of non-broadcast TV ( House of Cards) and we have the potential for something special to happen.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

(This post was edited by glor on Sep 7 2014, 7:35pm)

ShireHorse
Rohan

Sep 7 2014, 8:37pm

Post #23 of 26 (836 views)
Shortcut
I get the feeling that [In reply to] Can't Post

many of the plays that are shown in theatres are as much about the pull of the stars as the quality of the production (David Tennant, Tom Hiddleston) although the productions have been good ones too.

RA has a very solid fan base but it doesn't run into millions like some of these actors . I think a lot of factors are at play here: there have been constant requests and a heavily supported petition to The Old Vic for a recording of the play; the theatre is desperately in need of a new roof and must raise funds as best it can; the play is studied widely in the States and is an exam piece in the UK - and this is the whole play performed as a play whereas Daniel Day Lewis has managed to lose an hour in his film; Yael Farber and Spacey are both driving forces; it would be a bit of a triumph for Spacey as he makes his exit; RA is a reasonably well-known film face unlike many of the stage actors whose productions have received praise in the past; the play has received amazing reviews from just about everyone and should be recorded for posterity.

That's an interesting remark about the Oscars, glor. Would such a 'film' qualify? I don't exactly see it as a film so much as a recording of a stage play.

However, what it might do is give RA a certain status amongst the snobs who vote for Best Actor: hopefully, his performance in this will make them look more favourably upon his performance as Thorin - so let's hope he has pulled out all the stops for this final film.

glor
Rohan

Sep 7 2014, 8:40pm

Post #24 of 26 (833 views)
Shortcut
To qualify [In reply to] Can't Post

all one has to do is have a screening on seven consecutive days in a cinema where tickets are available for public purchase to count as a film for ther Academy ( i checked on the Academies website ..)

glor
Rohan

Sep 7 2014, 8:50pm

Post #25 of 26 (831 views)
Shortcut
should have added [In reply to] Can't Post

all one has to do is have a screening on seven consecutive days in a cinema

In New York or LA

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.