Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Runes observation - Intentional or coincidence?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 11:13pm

Post #1 of 3 (973 views)
Shortcut
Runes observation - Intentional or coincidence? Can't Post

I was looking at the runes on Balin's tomb and noticed a rather interesting (probably) coincidence. I'm on a phone so I can't share an image, but the last five runes on the tomb spell out the word 'Moria.' The interesting thing is that these runes look very similar the letters 'BALIN' in our alphabet.

Has this been brought up before and is it possibly an intentional detail? If intentional, how do you think it came about?

Wish I could share an image. I'd really appreciate if someone could share one for me. Thanks.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 8:46am

Post #2 of 3 (785 views)
Shortcut
Here you go! [In reply to] Can't Post

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

Elthir
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2014, 2:20pm

Post #3 of 3 (857 views)
Shortcut
Elaine Benes and Rava in the elevator [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I'm asking, what level of intentional do you mean, as opposed to coincidence. For example:

A) did Tolkien notice that the word Moria in runes looked somewhat like Roman 'BALIN' and so chose to write Moria last, and thus arguably make this more noticeable upon the tomb?

To me that's a bit different from asking, for instance...

B) did Tolkien fashion the runic writing system so that the Elvish word Moria would look sorta like the name Balin in Roman orthography?

Not that you actually asked either question of course. Anyway I see what you mean [and thanks to the elegantly snouted fox].

My guess is coincidence Smile

INT. PENDANT PUBLISHING ELEVATOR

(A MAN behind them addresses Rava.)

MAN: Will you put that cigarette out, please?

(Rava ignores him.)

ELAINE: Well, I mean, he was in the apartment, and then it's gone and it's in your apartment.

RAVA: Maybe you think we're in cahoots.

ELAINE: No, no. But it is quite a coincidence.

RAVA: Yes, that's all: a coincidence!

ELAINE: A big coincidence.

RAVA: Not a big coincidence. A coincidence!

ELAINE: No, that's a big coincidence.

RAVA: That's what a coincidence is! There are no small coincidences and big coincidences!

ELAINE: No, there are degrees of coincidences.

RAVA: No, there are only coincidences! Ask anyone!

(This post was edited by Elthir on Aug 29 2014, 2:34pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.