Are you happy with your height? Can't Post

Or do you wish you were taller/shorter?

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 28 2014, 9:02pm

Post #2 of 56 (2812 views)
Shortcut
Sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sixty-six inches seems just the right height, especially since Wifey is five foot two. Also it's easy to remember.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 28 2014, 9:24pm

Post #3 of 56 (2842 views)
Shortcut
I joke about my height and I used to wish I was taller.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ocassionally I still do. But Honestly I am really happy with my height. I don't really need to be taller because I can reach all the things on the top shelf at small grocery stores with just a little stretch. Wink So I can mange on my own without having to be dependent on taller people. I am 5' 4 btw. Neither of my parents are particularly tall so I was never going to be a tall person anyway.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Aug 28 2014, 9:27pm)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Aug 28 2014, 10:02pm

Post #4 of 56 (2824 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I'd hate to be as small as a dwarf or a hobbit. I'm not sure of my exact height (I'm either 5'8 or 5'9), but it's nice to help the little old ladies (and others) reach things that are out of reach on the top shelves. My biological father was RA's height, so I kind of got my height from him (and his eyes, since my mom's eyes aren't as blue as mine). I could quite easily have played an Elf in any of the LotR/Hobbit movies. I probably would have chosen Galadriel, since she is the ultimate Elf, and I kind of would like to control the element of water (since I've been a ocean aficionado since viewing the movie Titanic back in '98).Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 28 2014, 11:38pm

Post #5 of 56 (2803 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

because I'm taller than my sisters and I can usually see well enough in crowds.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2014, 11:41pm

Post #6 of 56 (2794 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind being short, bit it can be frustrating sometimes :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by zarabia on Aug 28 2014, 11:46pm)

acheron
Gondor

Aug 29 2014, 12:57am

Post #7 of 56 (2786 views)
Shortcut
I'm happy being tall except when I'm on an airplane // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 1:26am

Post #8 of 56 (2796 views)
Shortcut
i am [In reply to] Can't Post

i am taller than most females, statistically. i also did this spur-of-the-moment height comparison with other females in a grocery store a couple of weeks ago. i was surprised that i was taller than most, even though i knew it was a statistical fact. a couple of years ago, i also realized i was the tallest female in my extended family.

yet, i do often wish i was a couple of inches taller. strange. perhaps it's because i don't perceive myself to be very tall. others frequently think i'm taller than i actually am, so perhaps i got my wish. : )

cheers --

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Aug 29 2014, 1:27am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 2:07am

Post #9 of 56 (2788 views)
Shortcut
I'm good with 5' 10". [In reply to] Can't Post

I can reach the top shelf, and I don't bump my head very often.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2014, 4:28am

Post #10 of 56 (2784 views)
Shortcut
I just checked the NZ statistics [In reply to] Can't Post

and I, as a female, am the same height as the average NZ male (177cm, or 5' 9.5''). I'm surprised at the female average, of 165cm (5' 5''), as that seems shorter than I'd have guessed.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 5:46am

Post #11 of 56 (2786 views)
Shortcut
I would put money on me being the shortest of us all [In reply to] Can't Post

As to the question about whether I am happy with it, I haven't really thought about it that much. If anything, it's a part of me that I celebrate. I give my mother credit for helping me to be happy with who I was during the most crucial times in my life, and this helped me deal with all the lame "How's the weather down there?" comments when I was at school.
I often have to ask for help at the supermarket when I can't reach things on top shelves. I just look for someone tall and ask them to get the item for me, which quite often involves borrowing husbands.
The only time I really wish I was taller is when I am in a big crowd, as I usually see nothing, and I get tired of armpits in my face. When I go to movies I usually change seats several times so I can see.

On the plus side, I am always comfy in plane seats when others are struggling, and it's easy for me to dart under tables during earthquakes.

And I am in a management position work-wise, thus disproving the theory that short people are less likely to be promoted.

And I am taller than my older sister, for the record.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 5:47am

Post #12 of 56 (2778 views)
Shortcut
You can help me [In reply to] Can't Post

reach things on the top shelves. Cool

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 6:46am

Post #13 of 56 (2805 views)
Shortcut
how tall are you? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am five feet tall (well, if I'm generous five feet and a half inch, or 1.51 m Wink) which would put me at 1.5 m tall in the metric system Smile

I am often annoyed when people take me for being a kid when I've been an adult for almost ten years (October 19th I will be 28- which I also found out was calculated as possibly being Durin's day, so I was quite giddy about a birthday I've hated until I found out that lovely little tidbit- gotta love the geekiness moments! Sly). And I frequently use a chair in the kitchen to get the taller shelves. In fact, I doubt a day goes by that I DON'T use a chair for something in the kitchen!

I've had to ask for help in supermarkets too- it's not just you Wink I went there a month or two ago to get some bread, amongst other things, and because I have a sensitive gut (read- 95% of processed foods, including many types of bread, I can't eat because of additives and high fructose corn syrup that I am intolerant to) I needed a particular brand. BUT- it was nearly out when I got there. There were only three loaves left, and it was on the top shelf (go figure Crazy), and after climbing on the shelves (hoping they would bear my weight- I'm not huge but haven't quite lost all the "baby fat" from having kids yet) I still couldn't reach the one in the back (I needed two, and barely managed to grasp the end of the bag for one). I had to ask a gentleman a bit further up the aisle to help me, and though he didn't climb on the shelves even HE had to jump (and he looked to be about six feet/1.8m or so). I cannot figure out why grocery stores in particular make shelves that even tall men have to jump to reach in the back Crazy

Plane seats are quite comfy, but my nearly 1.8 meter tall husband joked that the only reason he had to fly with my mother, my grandmother, myself, and our then 7 month old baby to another state for a five generation picture five years ago (my great grandmother, who passed last autumn, couldn't travel anymore so we had to go to her) was because the tallest person among us beside him was my grandmother, and she's five foot four inches (so 1.6 m), and he was the only one of us all who could reach the overhead bins on the plane! lol...

Me: 1.5 m
Grandmother: 1.6 m
Mother: 1.475 m

Obviously the baby didn't count Tongue

And I dodge elbows in crowds too Wink

So I guess that, while it would be nice to be a little taller, I am relieved that I even reached the five foot mark (my mother is only one inch- 2.5 cm- away from being legally classified a human dwarf). She even looks like (and is stubborn enough) that she could be a Tolkien dwarf- it's hysterical and a bit creepy at the same time lol!

But then TH came out- and I found out that both Thorin and Dwalin were taller than I, and Kili was the same height. That, coupled with my mom being the closest real life representation of a Tolkien dwarf that I've ever seen, has made me fully accept my nearly dwarf height.

It almost makes me feel like I could be a part of ME- what Tolkien geek wouldn't want that??? Cool

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 9:09am

Post #14 of 56 (2767 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Being 176 cm (or 5' 9¼") makes me the tallest female among my relatives as well as taller than most males in my family, which, I must admit, I quite enjoy. Angelic I might lack elven elegance and grace, but at least I've got the right height! Laugh

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 29 2014, 9:58am

Post #15 of 56 (2761 views)
Shortcut
short but happy [In reply to] Can't Post

5f3i
But it is no big issue really. And I am the shortest in my family. But being tall does not make you happy. And that is what I keep telling my short teen students. The key to success is personality, sometimes even being beautiful is not enough. I have achieved almost everything I dreamed of when I was a teenage girl.
Yes I would love to have travelled more around the world, but that's totally unrelated with my physical appearance.Cool
By the way all the men I find really really attractive (in real life or on the silver screen) are all more or less only 1 foot taller than meAngelic

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 4:25pm

Post #16 of 56 (2744 views)
Shortcut
Mostly okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm around average, but there are times when I've wished I was taller.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 6:55pm

Post #17 of 56 (2725 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, pretty happy, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

At 1.76m (or 5ft. 9-1/2in.) and built like a beanpole, I'd like to put on a bit more muscle weight. However, despite my best efforts in high school, I'm still lean and wiry. On the plus side, I'd probably make a decent Elf.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2014, 7:54pm

Post #18 of 56 (2727 views)
Shortcut
Other [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no issue with my height, 5'4"ish, but with my proportions: I have an extra long neck and an extra long waist ... but not so long legs. (*sigh*) Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor? If being taller meant adding inches just to my gams, I would be overjoyed.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 8:50pm

Post #19 of 56 (2714 views)
Shortcut
Voted yes [In reply to] Can't Post

been six-foot even, 160 lbs. all my life. Haven’t started to shrink – yet.
Advice? Don’t stand up – gravity will eventually get to your spine. (Also keeps one from working too hard.) Evil

But my wife will soon be eligible for the rental-hole at #16, East Road, Frogmorton; bless her sweet little heart.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 9:12pm

Post #20 of 56 (2722 views)
Shortcut
You and me both, sister! [In reply to] Can't Post

My "odd" proportions made me fascinating to my artist daughter when she was taking her first drawing class and learning about proportional measurements. And at 5' 3.5", there's not a lot to work with.
  • "Your elbows should be the same level as your waist." Um.. sort of
  • "The tips of your fingers should be closer to your knees than your hips." errr... not really
  • "The length of your hand is the same as the length of your foot." uhhh... kinda

People who meet me remember me as taller mostly because I have a longer neck and torso and I was taught by my grandma (who was a dancer for a time) to sit and stand up straight.

My hubby and his twin not the exact same height but the one who is taller standing up looks shorter when they sit down. It has been like that since they were kids. Photographers would get really upset and accuse them of switching places while trying to pose them.
Upside to being shorter, hubby is 6' 3" so I can tuck in under his chin. Of course that means that since both my sons have grown past me, they tuck me under *their* chins too. Smile When I need something at home I yell "Tall person" and I've got my pick of all my kids. Even my 10 year old (who is still a bit shorter than me) comes running because her arms are longer than mine. Laugh

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2014, 9:40pm

Post #21 of 56 (2701 views)
Shortcut
Haha, I know just what you mean re height appearance sitting vs. standing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could definitely live up to an elf's stature more easily sitting down than standing up. How crazy is that? Laugh

It's nice to know I'm not the only person with a peculiar, I mean, unique shape!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2014, 10:46pm

Post #22 of 56 (2714 views)
Shortcut
Hah, love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When I need something at home I yell "Tall person"

I'd love to be able to yell "Strong person" and have someone come running to open jars and bottles!

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 29 2014, 10:50pm

Post #23 of 56 (2706 views)
Shortcut
I could use one of these when I can't open the pickle jar at home. [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Aug 29 2014, 10:50pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 30 2014, 4:54am

Post #24 of 56 (2689 views)
Shortcut
I hate spiders [In reply to] Can't Post

so I tend to call "exterminator!" aka my husband.

Though I've been known to yell "tall person" too Wink

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 30 2014, 4:56am

Post #25 of 56 (2700 views)
Shortcut
tip [In reply to] Can't Post

get some of those latex (or rubber vinyl) one inch by six inch strips that hospitals and doctor's offices use to tie around the upper arm when they draw blood.

It sounds crazy, but my grandmother uses them to open stuck jars by wrapping them around the rim of the lid tightly (for grip) then screwing the lids off. (my grandfather was diabetic so blood draws and insulin shots were frequent). It really does work! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.