What is Bilbo talking about?

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 28 2014, 7:04pm

Post #1 of 14 (1577 views)
Shortcut
What is Bilbo talking about? Can't Post

What's the plan for this?

Frodo: They all say they're coming, except for the Sackville-Bagginses, who are demanding you ask them in person.
Old Bilbo: Are they, indeed. Over my dead body.
Frodo: They'd probably find that quite agreeable. They seem to think you have tunnels overflowing with gold.
Old Bilbo: It was one small chest, hardly overflowing. And it still smells of troll.

Still smells of Troll? Surely this indicates that Bilbo gets nothing from the 4 sq miles of gold hills inside Erebor, but instead ends up digging up the "deposit" in the troll cave. Anyone have any other theories?

(This post was edited by Bishop on Aug 28 2014, 7:05pm)

Azaghâl
Lorien

Aug 28 2014, 7:14pm

Post #2 of 14 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much as it is in the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

He doesn't bring much from Erebor. On the way home he picks up the troll gold.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!*

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 28 2014, 7:15pm

Post #3 of 14 (982 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds to me like he gets nothing from Erebor.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 28 2014, 7:17pm

Post #4 of 14 (936 views)
Shortcut
It seems that way [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I'd hardly call the mithril coat "nothing". Wink

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 28 2014, 7:21pm

Post #5 of 14 (912 views)
Shortcut
It is a kingly gift [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 28 2014, 7:22pm

Post #6 of 14 (951 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Even a fourteenth share was wealth exceedingly great, greater than that of many mortal kings. From that treasure Bard sent much gold to the Master of Lake-town; and he rewarded his followers and friends freely. To the Elvenking he gave the emeralds of Girion, such jewels as he most loved, which Dain had restored to him. To Bilbo he said: "This treasure is as much yours as it is mine; though old agreements cannot stand, since so many have a claim in its winning and defence. Yet even though you were willing to lay aside all your claim, I should wish that the words of Thorin, of which he repented, should not prove true: that we should give you little. I would reward you most richly of all."

"Very kind of you," said Bilbo. "But really it is a relief to me. How on earth should I have got all that treasure home without war and murder all along the way, I don't know. And I don't know what I should have done with it when I got home. I am sure it is better in your hands."

In the end he would only take two small chests, one filled with silver, and the other with gold, such as one strong pony could carry. "That will be quite as much as I can manage," said he.

(TH, The Return Journey)

and

They came to the river that marked the very edge of the borderland of the Wild, and to the ford beneath the steep bank, which you may remember. The water was swollen both with the melting of the snows at the approach of summer, and with the daylong rain; but they crossed with some difficulty, and pressed forward, as evening fell, on the last stage of their journey. This was much as it had been before, except that the company was smaller, and more silent; also this time there were no trolls. At each point on the road Bilbo recalled the happenings and the words of a year ago-it seemed to him more like ten-so that, of course, he quickly noted the place where the pony had fallen in the river, and they had turned aside for their nasty adventure with Tom and Bert and Bill. Not far from the road they found the gold of the trolls, which they had buried, still hidden and untouched. "I have enough to last me my time," said Bilbo, when they had dug it up. "You had better take this, Gandalf. I daresay you can find a use for it."

"Indeed I can!" said the wizard. "But share and share alike! You may find you have more needs than you expect."

(TH, The Last Stage)

And eternity in an hour.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 28 2014, 7:24pm

Post #7 of 14 (893 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, "its worth was greater than the value of the Shire".

And eternity in an hour.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2014, 7:33pm

Post #8 of 14 (938 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and don't forget [In reply to] Can't Post

in the book Bilbo gives some of his small stash away to the Elvenking (perhaps in the movie, a cask of white gems of pure starlight???).

Once Bilbo gets home, however, there is all the stuff he needs to buy back... If PJ sticks to the book, perhaps Bilbo uses the other chest's contents to buy back his things (making the Sackville-Bagginses suspicious that he's richer than Midas). Then all he would have left would be the troll chest.

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Aug 28 2014, 7:34pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 28 2014, 7:38pm

Post #9 of 14 (897 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that has crossed my mind too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
in the book Bilbo gives some of his small stash away to the Elvenking (perhaps in the movie, a cask of white gems of pure starlight???).

We saw those gems in AUJ, we heard Thranduil talk about them in DOS - they *have* to come into play in BOFA someway.

And eternity in an hour.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Aug 28 2014, 7:39pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2014, 7:51pm

Post #10 of 14 (892 views)
Shortcut
Yes, as has been said, Bilbo takes almost no share from Erebor... [In reply to] Can't Post

However, It is also said in FotR that Bilbo gave away all of the Troll-gold away, reasoning that it wasn't his to keep--being stolen property.

I guess the Shire had laws about reviewing stolen goods.Laugh

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2014, 7:57pm

Post #11 of 14 (888 views)
Shortcut
But apparently he had no qualms [In reply to] Can't Post

about keeping the stinky troll-chest itself. Maybe it counts as a souvenir. Wink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 4:07pm

Post #12 of 14 (658 views)
Shortcut
It is puzzling... [In reply to] Can't Post

The line does seem to imply that Bilbo left Erebor with nothing (as opposed to a pair of small chests, one filled with gold and the other with silver, as in the book). Even in the book, though, Bilbo and Gandalf do retrieve the troll-chest.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 6:43pm

Post #13 of 14 (621 views)
Shortcut
IIRC... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, much of the gold in the troll chest was given to Gandalf....

*checks book*

'Not far from the road they found the gold of the trolls, which they had buried, still hidden and untouched. "I have enough to last me my time," said Bilbo, when they had dug it up. "You had better take this, Gandalf. I daresay you can find a use for it."

"Indeed I can!" said the wizard. "But share and share alike! You may may find that you have more needs than you expect."'

-The Last Stage, The Hobbit

So it seems that Bilbo gave some (Maybe most) of it to Gandalf, but also kept some of it to give to others before the chem of FotR, hence Frodo's answer to Merry.

So in the films, it would seem that Bilbo may not take anything from Erebor, (Besides his mithril coat) and instead, he will simply reclaim the Troll-gold. In accordance with the decreased gap between the Quest for Erebor and the Fellowship, the diminished wealth might fit with the shorter timescale.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 6:51pm

Post #14 of 14 (629 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did not mean to imply that Bilbo keeps all of the troll-treasure (although in this version he might).

I don't think that the adjusted timescale makes much of a difference. There is still more than 60 years between the Quest of Erebor and the War of the Ring, even if we skip over most of the following 17. Perhaps Old Bilbo was just having a 'senior moment' and forgot about his reward from Dain.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.