Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The best thing about DOS that I hope will be in BOTFA (SPOILER!)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 5:00pm

Post #1 of 5 (1189 views)
Shortcut
The best thing about DOS that I hope will be in BOTFA (SPOILER!) Can't Post

I thought there were some really good fight scenes in DOS, and yes some over-the-top (but still enjoyable) action scenes as well, but IMO the best thing about DOS were those moments when there were just two actors talking, starting with Gandalf & Thorin, including Thorin/Thranduil and Tauriel/Thranduil, and culminating with Bilbo/Smaug and a particularly fierce Bilbo/Thorin scene. I think those moments benefitted the movie, allowing us to both catch our breath between action scenes AND helping to develop both the characters and the storyline. I hope we see more of those moments in BOTFA - perhaps between Bard & Thranduil or Bard & Gandalf. Maybe something involving Fili & Kili with Thorin. Certainly there will be an awsome scene between Bilbo & Thorin when he finds out about the Arkenstone, still not sure if Bilbo took it when he fled from Smaug. But oh, that will be a dramatic scene! Thorin should be fully down with the dragon-sickness by then. I'm guessing he will have already said his "I will have WAR" line, but I still don't know how this will play out. Bilbo's still with the dwarves when Thorin asks if they will follow him one last time, which sounds like he's maybe realizing his folly and about to join the battle. But maybe not. Anyway, hoping to see some of those moments of dialogue between the ice chariots & the dwarves on battle rams (I admit it, I'm looking forward to that scene, too).

So what do you think? What, if anything, did you see in DOS that you hope to see in BOTFA?

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Annatar598
Rohan

Aug 28 2014, 6:12pm

Post #2 of 5 (539 views)
Shortcut
I love love love PJ's dialogue direction [In reply to] Can't Post

The angles, the wide zooms, the pacing. All of it. It's scenes like Bilbo/Balin, the Western Guardroom, Bilbo/Smaug, Bilbo/Gandalf, Bilbo/Gollum and some others that are my favourite bits of these movies. The action scenes are just the icing on the cake for me.

I personally find that these movies have a very large and glowing emotional heart on a much more personal and claustrophobic scale than in LOTR.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2014, 7:55pm

Post #3 of 5 (480 views)
Shortcut
I think the best thing for me, which I hope is continued in BOFA, [In reply to] Can't Post

Was the much firmer grip on the story and tone in DOS and clearer eye on what the general audience wants.

I actually expect BOFA to be better than DOS on these fronts as the tone of this last third is the most settled and the episodic stuff is out of the way.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 3:40pm

Post #4 of 5 (296 views)
Shortcut
Often Fili or Kili Finish... each other's sentences... [In reply to] Can't Post

Often Thorin will finish Gandalf's sentences
Often Dwalin will finish Thorin's sentences,
Often Balin will answer Bilbo's questions..?

Balin is many ways... IS "THE Storyteller".. for
Bilbo, &
... Therefore, ALL of us.

ONE DAY... we will get to READ the Entire script of all
3 Movies...which will a Great JOY to us,
Who love dialogue...

(Isn't there a Complete Script of AUJ... already available? on the Internet...)

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 29 2014, 3:46pm

Post #5 of 5 (300 views)
Shortcut
Transcripts [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ TE: https://docs.google.com/...bsfpoCT1U/edit?pli=1
DOS TE: https://docs.google.com/...XQl08xz-U/edit?pli=1

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.