The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the cloud-of-dust reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 26 2014, 2:39pm

Post #1 of 15 (622 views)
Shortcut
It's the cloud-of-dust reading thread! Can't Post

Our home improvement project is well under way now, and Bag End Texas is in chaos. My piano is sitting in the middle of the living room and the garage is full of boxes of books, and we had to wash this morning's breakfast dishes in the shower.

BUT, everything is proceeding apace. It was a blazing-sun 102F (39C) here yesterday, and with the windows open (to air out the nasty smell of glue), the air-conditioning running like mad, and all the workers’ power tools humming and whining, I expected a call from the power company asking, “What the heck are you people doing?”

It's going to be very nice very soon now, yes it is. Shocked Crazy

With all the above going on, all I've had time to read is the first bit of Tony Hillerman's The Dark Wind, an early Jim Chee book. If Chee's colleague Joe Leaphorn is in it as well, he hasn't appeared yet. The story begins when Chee hears a plane crash in the wee hours of the morning, and discovers it was no accident. He's wondering if the crash of what was apparently a smuggler's plane and subsequent murders tie in with a couple of other cases he's working on. This story involves Hopi territory, where Chee, as a Navajo policeman, is having to feel his way. I'm looking forward to reading more.

What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Aug 26 2014, 4:09pm

Post #2 of 15 (530 views)
Shortcut
Finished "Lucifer's Crown" [In reply to] Can't Post

enjoyed it very much. Had a very vivid dream that night in which I had to battle a "wicked boy" who could do very harmful things to the world if he could place little plastic babies into a carousel toy which was a magic relic of some kind. I was able to steal the toy and remove the plastic babies (and squish their heads which was necessary for some reason), and then hide the relic safely in a secret compartment in my old family home. Shocked

I'm also reading the Lizzie Bennet Diary book and enjoying that. Nice amplification of the videos.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2014, 4:58pm

Post #3 of 15 (527 views)
Shortcut
Uther [In reply to] Can't Post

by Jack Whyte. In his foreword he explains that for a long time he resisted writing Uther's story as he thought he had covered it in his Dream of Eagles series, but came to the realization eventually that there was a lot more to say. I have been slowing down on this as I near the end, because I already know both Uther's and Ygraine's fates. Still eminently readable.

Also read The Cold Dish, which is the first of the Longmire series. Well done.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Angharad73
Rohan

Aug 26 2014, 8:43pm

Post #4 of 15 (522 views)
Shortcut
Lots of reading lately... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish we had a bit of your sunshine here... It's wet and cold, not at all like it should be at this time of year.

I've been rather more of a lurker here recently, and then I've been away for two weeks of holidays with rather uncooperative weather. But that just meant that I got a good bit of reading done...

I've worked my way through the books by Ben Aaronovitch ('Rivers of London', 'Moon over Soho', 'Whispers Underground' and 'Broken Homes') and loved them all. Can't wait for the next in the series to be published. I'm not always a great fan of the first-person narrative, but in these stories it works perfectly for me, and Peter Grant, the protagonist, is a very entertaining character.

Then I read Simon Beckett's 'Written in Bone', which was ok, though not my favourite. It's the first of his books that I've read, though it's not the first in the series, and I might give one of the others a try, although I have read widely differing reviews of them.

Also on my pile of books was 'Bury your Dead' by Louise Penny. Also one of a series and the first of them that I have read. I found it a bit confusing at first, with three different plots all going on more or less separately. But I like Armand Gamache, so I might read some more.

And then I read 'An Unwilling Accomplice' by Charles Todd. I think I've read all the books in the series (as well as all of his other series), and I still enjoy them.

And then my holidays were over...

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 26 2014, 11:11pm

Post #5 of 15 (513 views)
Shortcut
A second reading of the latest Dresden Files book. [In reply to] Can't Post

Happily, it's a better read the second time around.

I am certain that Hades and Goodman Grey will make a reappearance in this series - the characters are too strong to be introduced once for no long-term benefit.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2014, 1:20am

Post #6 of 15 (509 views)
Shortcut
I listened to The Crystal Cave [In reply to] Can't Post

by Mary Stewart read by Nicol Williamson while driving to the Eastern Shore for work. Got a good way into and the trip flew by (no pun intended).

Cool side note - Just as Merlin has his first real vision I crested the top of the Bay Bridge. I always cross with the windows open because I love to feel the wind. And there Merlin was, talking of a king for all Britain. Gave me goose bumps! Cool

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 1:45am

Post #7 of 15 (509 views)
Shortcut
Locked Rooms and Open Doors [In reply to] Can't Post

letters and diaries by Anne Lindbergh, 1933-35. It doesn't have the polish of works written for publication, but the immediacy is compelling. There are many references to the kidnapping of her firstborn, which gets intensely personal.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Kim
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 4:00am

Post #8 of 15 (507 views)
Shortcut
The Forest by Edward Rutherford [In reply to] Can't Post

Another one of his multiple-families-saga-through-the-ages books, this time set in the New Forest area of southern England. Another place to add to my list of places to see. Smile

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 1:38pm

Post #9 of 15 (500 views)
Shortcut
I'm delighted you enjoyed the book [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have to wonder what in it produced such a weird dream! You never know about dreams, do you?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 4:44pm

Post #10 of 15 (490 views)
Shortcut
I love that book ... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2014, 1:48pm

Post #11 of 15 (478 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to try the book on CD [In reply to] Can't Post

It would interesting to get a new perspective on Merlin through someone's actual voice. Smile

And...maybe I can generate an excuse to get to the beach...by way of the Bay Bridge, of course.Cool (Hey, I can dream!) I do love driving over it, although I've only done it a handful of times--I'll have to try it with the windows down and see what chapter happens to be playing! Wink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2014, 1:49pm

Post #12 of 15 (475 views)
Shortcut
Airs Above the Ground by Mary Stewart // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 2:59am

Post #13 of 15 (475 views)
Shortcut
Finished Crystal Cave and started Hollow Hills on the way home [In reply to] Can't Post

Both are read by Nicol Williamson who played Merlin in the movie Excalibur. Here's a clip of Merlin talking to Arthur about the dragon for anyone who isn't familiar with the movie. I liked it in parts and disliked it in parts but it remains unique in my experience of movies of the Arthurian legend.

Nicol Williamson has a wonderful voice so listening to him reading this particular book is doubly enjoyable. Smile

Alas, no magic coming back over the bridge though. But a sliver of the moon was low over the bay and that was spectacular!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 8:45pm

Post #14 of 15 (460 views)
Shortcut
summer reads...drifting away... [In reply to] Can't Post

(probably) in no particular order here :) :
GdT's (and Chuck Hogan's) trilogy. I remember when...this was the subject of some discussion here on the message boards! I happened to catch The Strain on FX earlier this summer and it grabbed enough of my attention to follow up with the books. (BTW, Sean Astin has a role in the series). I blew thru book one (The Strain) and will finish book 2 (The Fall) by the end of this weekend. It's engaging---sometimes a page-turner, sometimes a good dose of "eww!". Yes, I have the 3rd book at the ready.
A couple from an old standby--Robert B. Parker. "Pot Shot" and "School Daze"--both of them have dialogue that causes laughing (out loud!)
A new author for me: James D. Doss. I read Three Sisters (book *12* in his Charlie Moon series) and will look for more in this series when I return to the library. Another writer of clever lines -- several of which I read more than a couple of times to fully appreciate the jest.
I am still working my way thru Lee Child's Reacher series--very much not in order.
And looking over this short list -- it's all about action! adventure! --but not ALL. There's some good words in those serial reads and lots of travel involved.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 10:17pm

Post #15 of 15 (457 views)
Shortcut
Did you make a bet with heaven [In reply to] Can't Post

that if the moon should show while you were driving over, that the next day would bring you your heart's desire? Wink Smile

In Reply To
But a sliver of the moon was low over the bay and that was spectacular!

Poor Merlin had to wait 45 years after he won the bet for his heart's desire, poor thing...Unsure

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.