Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Time for another thread about the trailer…
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 1:42pm

Post #1 of 32 (1844 views)
Shortcut
Time for another thread about the trailer… Can't Post

…because I have just seen it in the cinema in the UK. It looks OK, though I think it is weak compared with the third 'trailer' for DoS. Shame there is no Beorn – but there is ugh, ahem, the unmentionable, which sort of takes me out of the moment…

The trailer is with Guardians of the Galaxy, which is rather more interesting. I was surprised to see how good a film this is – probably my favourite of all the American comic-book films. It has humour and sadness, a good plot, decent, relatively unknown actors (at least to me), which is great. I didn't even recognise Lee Pace until about a third of the way into the film – I like his deep voice, which I hadn't thought about before. The raccoon is the best, though – great character.
Heart

Hope GoG will be followed by a sequel(s).

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 2:00pm

Post #2 of 32 (1211 views)
Shortcut
I'm so happy they didn't show Beorn. [In reply to] Can't Post

That would have spoiled far too much. I still think the trailer is just barely below perfect. It's beautiful.

Our destiny lies above us.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 2:34pm

Post #3 of 32 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see why it would have spoiled anything to have even a glimpse of Beorn. He was very much shortchanged in DoS, I think, and should have a bigger role than he has had – as should Thranduil, who at least was shown, very well, in the trailer.

In Reply To
I'm so happy they didn't show Beorn. by tsmith675. That would have spoiled far too much.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 27 2014, 2:37pm

Post #4 of 32 (1126 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That would have spoiled far too much. I still think the trailer is just barely below perfect. It's beautiful.

This thread is odd, seems just be an excuse to praise Guardians of the Galaxy!

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 2:51pm

Post #5 of 32 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Plus, [In reply to] Can't Post

the usual reference-former ranting to the unspeakable horror called Legolas.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Aug 27 2014, 2:55pm)

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 3:01pm

Post #6 of 32 (1100 views)
Shortcut
I think it'll be a nice surprise for those who haven't read the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know a few people that think Beorn's part of the story is done. And I can't wait for them to see him show up to the Battle. It's going to be an awesome moment that I definitely don't want spoiled in the trailer.

Our destiny lies above us.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 3:05pm

Post #7 of 32 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Beorn is the BIG... [In reply to] Can't Post

SURPRISE..in the Final Film
Sssooo...WHY
Spoil this?

NOW

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 3:49pm

Post #8 of 32 (1055 views)
Shortcut
You guessed it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really amazed by it, not knowing anything about the story at all before I saw the film.

Although I did unexpectedly see the trailer for the next Hobbit film as well, and Lee Pace was in GotG so I was comparing his performances in the two films…

In Reply To
This thread is odd, seems just be an excuse to praise Guardians of the Galaxy!

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 3:55pm

Post #9 of 32 (1070 views)
Shortcut
I think the trailer is just dandy [In reply to] Can't Post

It hits an emotional spot for me. The first time I saw it in Hall H during Comic-Con it made me a bit misty eyed.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 4:12pm

Post #10 of 32 (1055 views)
Shortcut
I am happy for you and wish I could feel the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps DoS has just rather deadened the emotion for PJ's Middle-Earth films in me, because while the third 'trailer' for DoS did for me what this one did for you, the latter did nothing much for me emotionally. With regard to the films, while AUJ was a very pleasant and welcome surprise, DoS, which I had anticipated so much, was a horrible disappointment in several respects – and not just for me.

I'm still hoping, but given that the aspects I dislike appear to be PJ's favourites, I fear that nothing will bring back the magic of the LotR films for me.

Guardians of the Galaxy, on the other hand, did make me interested, and laugh and feel sad in places…a noticeable contrast to the trailer.

In Reply To
It hits an emotional spot for me. The first time I saw it in Hall H during Comic-Con it made me a bit misty eyed.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Aug 27 2014, 4:13pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 4:18pm

Post #11 of 32 (1041 views)
Shortcut
I love the trailer too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even on the computer screen the emotions are there and it makes me anticipate the film even more.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 4:24pm

Post #12 of 32 (1025 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry you don't feel the same [In reply to] Can't Post

For me I saw nothing in DOS that ruined anything so I can't quite understand how others would feel that way. I feel bad that they didn't like bits of it but it is what it is. For me as I've said before this journey has been really fantastic. Not everything about it has been fantastic I suppose but I feel that way about all of them.

Like I said I wish you felt better about things. For those of you that haven't cared for much or any of these films it stinks. It would make for a much funner conversation if we all enjoyed this on similar levels where we could discuss much of what we liked and the little things we didn't as tends to be the case with the LOTR films.

It's no fun for either sets of people to feel a bit like walking on eggshells as it does appear that way at times.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 4:29pm

Post #13 of 32 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Likely.. there will BEEEE...different trailers [In reply to] Can't Post

Before WE get to the CUT....

Didn't WE get Three
last time?

Also, 15 second TV spots for weeks...
before the Last Release?

Marketing for the Final Film
should be the BEST EVER!

bomby is Always
Pleazzzed by
PJ &Co.

5,000 people in NZ
KNOW what
they are doin'...

(Little dormouse & Elesser &bomby are sooo simpatico..)

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Aug 27 2014, 4:32pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 4:36pm

Post #14 of 32 (1022 views)
Shortcut
I saved it [In reply to] Can't Post

to my HD with all my other LOTR/Hobbit stuff. I've watched it a few times to say the least. lol Plus I've gotten a chance to see it twice now on the big screen. Its awesoem! Cool

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 5:26pm

Post #15 of 32 (993 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the sentiments, Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think both 'sides' should be able to express themselves if they wish to. I also feel that if everyone agreed that DoS was faultless, this site would be rather dull. It isn't even that I disliked everything about DoS. Far from it – I thought the depiction of Smaug, for instance, was fantastic. However, the film was robbed of emotional impact for me – unlike AUJ.

I'm hoping against hope that my faith may be restored with the final film. There really is so much that is good in these films – the excellent main actors that made their appearance in AUJ, and actors like Lee Pace and Luke Evans in DOS, the costumes and the visuals in general. However, I think the script is poor and somewhat messy in some instances.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 6:17pm

Post #16 of 32 (951 views)
Shortcut
No problem :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree 100%. As I've said before I think people let their passion get the best of them at times. I'm sure those that don't like some or most of these films get tired of it. For me I'm a bit worn out at times feeling like I have to defend myself for liking these films. So I'm with ya that we should be able to express things and find a way to do it that doesn't come across negatively towards the other side.

Again, I agree. The reasons why we like and dislike things make for interesting, fun, and allow us to grow. Me and Ainur Olorin are pretty good friends. He hates the Morgul Lord moment with Gandalf the White in the ROTK EE. I like it myself but we've had fun discussing it so I want to see more of that kind of discussion. If we all liked and disliked the same stuff it would get dull.

Don't lose all hope for DOS. I think the EE is going to add some really nice parts to it. It still may be a film you can allow yourself to enjoy more than the TE. As far as this film. I think its going to be pretty darn fantastic. So I hope you get more of what you're seeking in this film.

There have been so many good things about these films. At least for me but I've got my issues in both so far. I'm sure you've seen my complaints so I won't beat that horse again. I wouldn't say the script is one of them though.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2014, 7:08pm

Post #17 of 32 (942 views)
Shortcut
I think Beorn would be an odd choice - for the very reason you mention. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was a minor character in DOS. Surely they should focus on the major characters in a trailer of this nature?

Trailers are, as I understand it, purely marketing tools and should, for me, focus on doing the job of converting the uncertain into cinema attendees (certainly not righting wrongs to characters from previous instalments!)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 7:12pm

Post #18 of 32 (927 views)
Shortcut
And again [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I agree with Alnur Olorin with regard to the Morgul Lord moment – this was something that I was so much looking forward to in RotK, but it was changed to something much worse and I've no idea why!

As for the Hobbit, I will still look forward to the EE and the third film, and hope the film does meet my hopes. I did try watching DOS a couple of weeks ago and even managed to get through the thing without leaving the room in the two parts that I find so off-putting. It still didn't do anything for me emotionally, unfortunately (unlike all four of the other Middle-Earth films).

Now I do believe I will go and see Guardians of the Galaxy again. Unexpectedly, I found it a lot of fun and so well made and quirky! Children in the cinema were rolling around with laughter – no burping moments in this one, just some great one-liners, though I do believe Mr Racoon did spit once.Smile

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Aug 27 2014, 7:14pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 10:16pm

Post #19 of 32 (867 views)
Shortcut
Fingers crossed for ya [In reply to] Can't Post

That it all works out. For what you're wanting anyways. Cool

Guardians is a pretty neat movie. I think I've seen it two or three times.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 10:21pm

Post #20 of 32 (872 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope so, too. If not, at least I'll always have Thorin to think about from the Hobbit films – sterling performance from Richard Armitage, and from Martin Freeman.

Two or three times for Guardians? So I'm not the only one who liked the film quite a bit…

In Reply To
That it all works out. For what you're wanting anyways. Cool

Guardians is a pretty neat movie. I think I've seen it two or three times.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Aug 27 2014, 10:22pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 10:48pm

Post #21 of 32 (845 views)
Shortcut
No problem :) [In reply to] Can't Post

He's been fantastic as has Mr. Freeman.

At least twice. It's a pretty fun movie. You can just go in and get swept up in the silliness that is this movie.Cool

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 28 2014, 4:52am

Post #22 of 32 (802 views)
Shortcut
No way [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'm not the only one who liked the film quite a bit…

I loved it.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 2:24pm

Post #23 of 32 (743 views)
Shortcut
The only one? No, certainly not. [In reply to] Can't Post

There is quite some hype surrounding this, actually. Many people believed this would be Marvel's first flop but it turned out to be one of its best reviewed.

I enjoyed it but it confirmed my personal belief that those superhero movies are - to me - an aspect of event cinema that comes across to me as extremely cold and calculated. I see that this is kind of a fresh breeze of air among all the Avenger stuff.

But where some people seem to find heart in them - especially GotG - I found it to be very much calculated.

A summertime action flick, nothing extraordinary really other than having hit an absolute stellar release time that allows it to surf on a special kind of hype and uniqueness. And I found its special effects (THIS is a videogame) and humour to be absolutely overrated. IMHO.

Coming back to the Hobbits teaser, seeing it in front of GotG reminded me of some of my issues with AUJ and DoS but also of their superiority over this recent wave of blockbusters so popular with the General Audience (at least in some areas of the world).

Just my two cents Wink

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 3:42pm

Post #24 of 32 (726 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it – and I went to the cinema not anticipating anything, since I don't generally think much of the comic-book films, and certainly don't know the comic this film is based on.

I thought there were sad moments and happy ones, and in general the film made me smile and feel happy. I also thought the storyline was decent, that there were some great lines in the film, and that it was quite quirky and unusual. I liked the fact that the actors were relatively unknown (at least to me), instead of the usual by-the-numbers crowd. I actually thought this film was a refreshing change compared with all the other 'blockbusters' – and the people in the cinema with me seemed to really like it, too.

I actually think it is quite old fashioned, with a flavour of a couple of decades or more ago, which also adds to its appeal.

This just demonstrates that we all have different tastes and opinions. Smile

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Aug 28 2014, 3:50pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 4:46pm

Post #25 of 32 (710 views)
Shortcut
GotG vs BOTFA trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

I too went to see "Guardains" last weekend, finally convinced by several on TORn that said it was hilarious! I thought it was ... okay. Certainly had some humor, I think Drax had the best line: "Nothing goes over my head, my reflexes are too fast." And I even enjoyed the silly 70's pop songs, except for "Pina Colada." But really, it could have been "Star Wars" with a different cast. Lee Pace didn't really have much to work with, either, sad to say. Looking much more forward to his turn as Thranduil, should really get to see some great action in BOTFA. Speaking of which, I did NOT get to see the trailer on the big screen, SOOOO wanted to hear Thorin's booming "I will have WAR!"

And since we're plugging other movies, I'm so happy that "Into the Storm" is still hanging in the top 10, though I'm sure that will change this weekend. I may catch it again at the discount cinema.

I tried to post last night, but my internet cut out & wiped out my post. What I was going to say is, I understand why you don't much like the films, (even if I don't agree with you) much of your criticizm is justified. Some people are already moaning about the ice chariot & dwarves on rams - but hey, if a main character can be a talking raccoon I don't see what's wrong with battle ramsWink It's all a matter of personal taste/opinion, and everyone's entitled.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.