Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XI
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 7:30am

Post #26 of 215 (5455 views)
Shortcut
     *waves* Hi Glorfindela [In reply to]  

I hope the film-makers take due note of the huge following Thranduil has and give him a substantial role in the film – more so than in DOS!

I think he (and Beorn) should be on a par with Thorin, Bilbo and Gandalf in terms of importance to the story. Such a memorable character from the book, and so well played in the film…

Totally agree here. It's really starting to sound old, but I wish the film-makers had given us more of Thranduil in DOS as well, instead of added *cough*extra strenuous*cough*stuff. Thranduil vs Thorin was great and I believe I'm not the only one wanting more of that over added
*cough*extra strenuous*cough*stuff.

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A tag-team fanfic with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 7:33am

Post #27 of 215 (5468 views)
Shortcut
     Ditto on Glorfindela's post and everyone's dittos... except [In reply to]  

I am a little concerned re the teaser the seemingly expanded role of Bard (which I personally also am not all that blown away with though I like Bard in the book, whatever bits we got). I just hope it doesn't mean taking away time from Thranduil.

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A tag-team fanfic with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 7:47am

Post #28 of 215 (5470 views)
Shortcut
     This [In reply to]  

Besides the obvious role he has to play in the final instalment, I hope we also see a lot more father/son interaction. Why else include Legolas, if his relationship with is father is not further explored. I don't want to see two very different and seperate storylines of Thranduil/Legolas but rather more intertwined (it would seem logical to me).

After reading in an interview of RA (I think) where father and son relationship was supposed to be the focus in DOS, I am confounded by the glaring lack of it, especially for Thranduil and Legolas. Was also looking forward to Thror/Thrain/Thorin time, but nope, it was incidential. Gloin got Gimli's portrait in his locket. Aww, how sweet? But that's cursory, not focus. And Thranduil and Legolas? Their relationship was a footnote in their expanded interactions with SOME OTHER character.

I will exclude Bard and Bain since that was so overtly written into the story it's not even funny. Well, at least
the pair of orcs were not overtly clearly established as related either. So looking through the field that leaves us... yes, amazingly, the mostest father-son like interaction... thing... hint after all that's said and done is Gloin and his locket. Crazy

Really hoping the situation is remedied in BotFA though given the apparent focus to keep runtime on a leash, I am not hopeful. I love the EEs. I totally ditch the TEs as soon the EEs come out, but I am tired of banking on the EEs to patch gaps which shouldn't even have been in the TEs because the casual movie goer doesn't do EEs Mad

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 7:49am

Post #29 of 215 (5473 views)
Shortcut
     *waves* Missing you around here! [In reply to]  

Already? Wow, I’m still only halfway through the posts from the last thread! (Though, I should really be used to this by nowWink)

I know the feelingTongue

=======

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 8:09am

Post #30 of 215 (5469 views)
Shortcut
     I'm glad to have been of assistance [In reply to]  

We can't let a single image of Thranduil get lost, not to mention THREE, can we? Tongue

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 27 2014, 8:16am

Post #31 of 215 (5480 views)
Shortcut
     Some responses to VValar from Thread X [In reply to]  

much more silkier, smooth and ever-glowing than the curly, scruffy hair of his Dwarven companion.

Them’s fighting words over at the Fan Art Thrall Wars threads!

Celeborn had silver/grey hair in the LotR

And so he does! How ‘bout that. I had a screenshot that may have caught him in some warm mood lighting. Glad the filmies got it right.

Gem on brow – OK maybe again I need to to question my eyesight! I don’t have a big enough image to crop and home in on clearly, but it looks like his warrior head piece (see snowy poster image) has a small white stone set in its

You have no idea how cool you just sounded.

Yeah. Coolness personified, that’s me! So cool in fact that when I met Mirkwood ‘keeper of the keys’ Elf at an Auckland party last NY Eve, I was too shy to chat him up about his on-set experiences. (if you’ve been reading back, there’s a post on that in a very early TA thread)

Lurker unless I am mistaken, you posted some images of delicious squid ink spaghetti! I was treated to this, home-cooked by a local, when visiting Sienna. (do I get ‘cool’ creds for that?) Also, very nice opening lettering. You have excelled yourself in this OP!

Now to catch up and hail the TAXI!

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Aug 27 2014, 8:17am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 9:22am

Post #32 of 215 (5486 views)
Shortcut
     That would be unpardonable! [In reply to]  

We can't let a single image of Thranduil get lost, not to mention THREE, can we? Tongue

Hopefully Ataahua saw my appeal for help. Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 9:50am

Post #33 of 215 (5467 views)
Shortcut
     Squidderly tangle aka food resemblance to Avandel's misguided obsession [In reply to]  

Lurker unless I am mistaken, you posted some images of delicious squid ink spaghetti! I was treated to this, home-cooked by a local, when visiting Sienna. (do I get ‘cool’ creds for that?) Also, very nice opening lettering. You have excelled yourself in this OP!

Oh, you mean this? EvilTongueLaugh Cool cred dispensed upon attestation to visual
semblance with hairy Dwarven tangle mess Angelic

Thanks! you mean the
image and its lettering? It was nothing really Blush there for the taking on DeviantArt.

Gem on brow – OK maybe again I need to to question my eyesight! I don’t have a big enough image to crop and home in on clearly, but it looks like his warrior head piece (see snowy poster image) has a small white stone set in its

Eh, perhaps some suitably sized imageHeart might help? Here's that uber LARGE hi-res image I posted in the OP for IX

It's a longish green stone. I like how the whole shape of the stone and the filigree holding it resembles a Mallorn leaf like the brooches the fellowship were gifted with in Lothlorien, the only place they grew in during TA in ME. Ties in nicely with the Elven appreciation of Mallorns.

Hail the TAXI!

=======

VValar
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 9:58am

Post #34 of 215 (5437 views)
Shortcut
     Forgot his contacts? [In reply to]  

In Reply To
More Beorn would be very nice, and I agree, the slightly weird brown eyes give him a good not-quite-human feel. Speaking of which, is it just me, or are they also making his eyes a bit bigger than normal along with changing the color?

Maybe he wasn't wearing his contacts for filming just yet?

VValar
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 10:02am

Post #35 of 215 (5459 views)
Shortcut
     Pretty pics [In reply to]  

The second one is new to me with the different colouring *me like*

And I hate to say this, but in the last artpic I kinda see BC in it instead of Thranduil *lol*

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 10:04am

Post #36 of 215 (5446 views)
Shortcut
     I thought the last was BC? [In reply to]  

seems like it is him to me

=======

VValar
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 10:05am

Post #37 of 215 (5427 views)
Shortcut
     *snigger* [In reply to]  

Glad I could be of service. And you know what, I can so see this being an actual conversation *lol*

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 10:07am

Post #38 of 215 (5982 views)
Shortcut
     The pictures all have extra funky code attached to them which is why they are not showing. [In reply to]  

I've bolded the bit that is making them go wonky:

Thread II:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;tempatt_id=18259;post_unique=4460591bbdabe3a210bebf1d9d518e2f;

Thread VIII:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;tempatt_id=18266;post_unique=4460591bbdabe3a210bebf1d9d518e2f;

Thread X:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;tempatt_id=18268;post_unique=4460591bbdabe3a210bebf1d9d518e2f;

Whereas all the others are fine, and look something like this:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=11852;

Sometimes Markup/HTML can do crazy things by itself, so it might just have been one of those glitches.

VValar
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 10:09am

Post #39 of 215 (5454 views)
Shortcut
     Ahh! *squeeee* THUD [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Eh, perhaps some suitably sized imageHeart might help? Here's that uber LARGE hi-res image I posted in the OP for IX

OMG! Didn't know there existed such a HUGE image of him *squeeee* HeartHeart
And damn him for having even longer eyelashes than most girls. It's so perfect!
Oh and now I can see the gem Kerewyn was talking about!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 10:10am

Post #40 of 215 (5442 views)
Shortcut
     Par for course for the advanced editor function I guess [In reply to]  

Though none as funky as MS WORD Tongue Thanks much, DanielB. I hope Attaahua see this and can clean it up in a jiffy.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 10:14am

Post #41 of 215 (5426 views)
Shortcut
     Yup! *snerkle* [In reply to]  

The Owl outdid herself for once.Heart

=======

VValar
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 10:15am

Post #42 of 215 (5452 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks to Lurker's fantastic High-Res pic.... [In reply to]  

...I now can see clearly the gem you were talking about.

In the smaller pics I also thought there was something in the middle of his headpiece, but I couldnt quite get what it was. I thought it was a silver-shaped leaf of some sort. So you really have good eyes! And yes, that qualifies you for even more coolness Cool Even when you don't dare to speak with a random stranger who happen to have stepped onto the most amazing set in the last decade, you're still absolutely frozen Wink

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 10:15am

Post #43 of 215 (5459 views)
Shortcut
     Always do the clicky, rittle gelasshoppa [In reply to]  

OMG! Didn't know there existed such a HUGE image of him *squeeee* HeartHeart
And damn him for having even longer eyelashes than most girls. It's so perfect!
Oh and now I can see the gem Kerewyn was talking about!

I do try to link back to source for the images I put up because though it is a pain to dl, resize and upload to meet TORn guidelines, I would want to have the LARGEST resolution of any ThranduilHeart Pretty there is too.

Re eyelashes: I know right? And cheekbones! Like so *THUD*

(source)

=======

VValar
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 10:33am

Post #44 of 215 (5448 views)
Shortcut
     It was kind of a downer for me [In reply to]  

I really hope they will include more f/s quality time in BoFA. I found the entire Thranduil/Legolas interaction so very formal. And one would think, seeing as Elves experience emotions such as love and grief more deeply than any other race in ME, one would hold a little bit more affection for his son. If you didn't know much about the LotR/TH background, you wouldn't even have guessed Thranduil was Legolas' father until a much later scene. Missed opportunity if you ask me.
So PJ if you're reading this.... you posses the powers that be to correct this little hiccup. We're counting on you Heart

In Reply To

Was also looking forward to Thror/Thrain/Thorin time, but nope, it was incidential

Nope, barely there.

Though I loved the scene with Gloin's locker, a little wink to the LoTR, I did seemed to make him the most affectionative of all thee fathers. That can't be right.

(This post was edited by VValar on Aug 27 2014, 10:34am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2014, 10:40am

Post #45 of 215 (5449 views)
Shortcut
     Actually.... [In reply to]  

it wasn't just the bits in bold, it was trying to give them img codes instead of inline codes. I took out the entire codes you showed and replaced them with markup codes for the relevant inline images and voila!

My best guess as to the problem is that the little circle in the insert-image popup didn't get checked for "inline" and tried to insert them like a URL instead.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

VValar
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 10:40am

Post #46 of 215 (5456 views)
Shortcut
     Nooo it hurts our eyeses [In reply to]  

Pfffft so not fair. In slowmotion those lashes look even better

Lol at the inscription from your source page, saying
Lee pace is perfect as Thranduil and if you don’t agree I just don’t know how to talk to you.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 11:14am

Post #47 of 215 (5435 views)
Shortcut
     Yay Silverlode! [In reply to]  

At last all the images are showingHeart Thanks!

I don't know what's up with the editor. I have tried selecting inline images where the uploaded image did not have inline checked and there's no way you can select such an image. And as I said to Blackfox, I could select and place them all, and even preview successfully. But what do I know. Hmm... if we were doing user acceptance. this would be an interesting scenario to test for sureTongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 11:16am

Post #48 of 215 (5405 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah. REALLY REALLY hope we get to see the stuff we were suppose to see [In reply to]  

Crazy

Just fingers crossed now

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 11:18am

Post #49 of 215 (5448 views)
Shortcut
     *THUD* [In reply to]  

Pfffft so not fair. In slowmotion those lashes look even better

Oh boy, really want to see that slowmo on a BIG screen... can't wait for the DOS EE!!!HeartHeartHeart

Lol at the inscription from your source page, saying
Lee pace is perfect as Thranduil and if you don’t agree I just don’t know how to talk to you.

That is an irrefutable principle of nature
Angelic

=======

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2014, 12:14pm

Post #50 of 215 (5441 views)
Shortcut
     Who knows.... [In reply to]  

But the selection on the popup defaults to Image Location instead of Inline Image, so I think it must have somehow reverted to the default.

I know that switching between Advanced and Basic editor in Edit Mode or Preview will make video-embed codes vanish completely, and also tends to play havoc when there is a combination of HTML and Markup in the post, so obviously there are some interesting little bugs in the system and you seem to have found one.

Anyway, if you check your message not just in preview, but after it posts, and you see broken images like that again, at least you'll have 10 minutes to go in and edit the fake URLs into basic markup. Just go into Basic Editor, delete the fake link entirely and replace it with [inline filename.jpg] and that'll do it. Smile

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Aug 27 2014, 12:17pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.