Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 15 2014, 5:27am

Post #1 of 6 (2375 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Greetings, all you TORn walkers, hikers, bikers, swimmers, lurkers and all, from the sunny Pacific Northwest! Yeah, I've been vacationing/visiting family/running around like crazy for the past couple weeks. How are things going for you?

Hi, delrond! Hi, Iolani! It's good to hear from you both! gramma, I hope you've been enjoying your time with your granddaughter!

My progress:
Miles covered (two weeks): 54
Cumulative miles: 1487
Goal: There and Back Again!

Beamer, my Hobbit and I have been doing a lot of walking here in Portland. Yes, that Portland, but my extended family's presence here long predates the hipness that is contemporary Portlandia in all its glory. Wink And we're leaving tomorrow to drive back home. sigh. It'll be good to be home, but this is a great city for walking and public transit - even with my young nephew and niece along. And moving at the speed of 7 and 3 years old can be exhausting! I just hope I keep this increased pace up once we're home again and the kids start school... next week...

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered (two weeks): 64
Cumulative miles: 1388
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-­Earth­-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.

grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn­up Postcards
Notta's Super-­Duper Walking-­Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-­induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2014, 6:58pm

Post #2 of 6 (2292 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhh... you're probably nearly home by now [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful vacation! I'm so glad you've been able to recruit your niece and nephew :)

I am having a wonderful time with my granddaughter. However, reality and her Mom (my daughter) will be arriving this evening... so the geek-fest will be coming to a close. Mom is neat, but not a geek ;)

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week! See ya'll on the Road!!

Miles covered: 27 miles 8/07 & 30 miles 8/14
Cumulated miles: 3703
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

Thanks for taking such great care of us, Arandiel!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Aug 23 2014, 4:54pm

Post #3 of 6 (2301 views)
Shortcut
Monthly Update [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,

It has been a great month! I got a clear bill of health from my doctor - minus my weight. Weather has been great - except this week. And I've been lucky with the camera.

I pounded out 2.5 miles this morning in already 90*f heat to get to my numbers...

(Drumroll...)

Since last post: 72.14
Total: 880.42
Challenge Miles: 800.32
To Go: 166.68

If I go by the Eowyn Challenge mile meter with my Total miles, I'm on the Dwarf-barrel barge and can see the Lonely Mountain for the first time!

As time runs out, I've decided to personally count my 80.1 warm-up miles to represent the Eagle and barrel-riding miles, so, I just might be two months from my goal!

Thanks everyone for your support and keep going!

And now for some overdue pictures:

Green Heron

And a Snowberry Clearwing Moth - A moth that mimics the coloration of a bee but is far larger (a regular bumble bee is visible just to the left) It reminded me of Beorn's bees. :)

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 9:39am

Post #4 of 6 (2265 views)
Shortcut
What great news!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you're in the clear AND that you're free of the extra weight! I'm struggling BIG TIME with that right now. Between age, steroids for my battle agains periwinkle poisoning, and my diet during the transplant with my sister... I'm in the worse shape ever in the past 30 years :( But I'm working at it!

Well Done on your mileage progress! FANTASTIC! and WOW!!! Are you in a marathon over this coming 3-day holiday weekend in the US?

*bows to your success* ;)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 30 2014, 12:06am

Post #5 of 6 (2254 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing them. Did you take those yourself? The one of the heron is so clear and sharp - like it was posing for the picture.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Aug 30 2014, 3:12am

Post #6 of 6 (2272 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I do take them myself. It's one reason I have trouble walking daily; hiking with my camera wears me out and processing the pictures is a time-eater.

That was the second closest I've got to a green heron, and by far the best picture of one. Although I must admit I was more excited about the Clearwing Moth than if I had bumped into a member of the Hobbit cast. I have looked for them for years. Still looking for a Luna Moth...

Thanks for the comments. :wave:

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.