Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, etc. have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 4:52am

Post #26 of 85 (777 views)
Shortcut
here's what io9 wrote after watching the first episode - basically spoiler free [In reply to] Can't Post

On Friday night, BBC America screened the first episode of its upcoming series Intruders, starring John Simm, Mira Sorvino, and James Frain. It was bananas. Creepy bananas. Here are our spoiler-free first impressions.

My first impulse was to write a review that was just the word "what" over and over. Because Intruders is actually that weird.

http://io9.com/...-so-weird-1611299503

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 4:55am

Post #27 of 85 (776 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever seen Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip [In reply to] Can't Post

I never watched West Wing but I imagine you'd see a lot of Aaron Sorkin touch in Studio 60. I thought it started out really strong and then lost its way about half way through its only season.

I would highly recommend it, though.

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 4:56am

Post #28 of 85 (773 views)
Shortcut
The $64,000 question: [In reply to] Can't Post

Will they try to keep the physical appearance of the Overlords a secret?
You know whereof I speak.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 5:00am

Post #29 of 85 (771 views)
Shortcut
I can't remember what happened last season on Continuum ... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I remember that aspect of the book from 1960-something.

I still have that book. I kept two books from my teen years. That book and "Across Five Aprils."

Not sure why I kept the second one but after keeping it 10 or 15 years I figured I should keep on keeping it.

I don't keep many books I've read that I'm not 'collecting'. And I don't collect adult fiction.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2014, 5:00am

Post #30 of 85 (768 views)
Shortcut
It was a brilliant series [In reply to] Can't Post

The concept, the writing, the cast - everything was wonderful. But I guess he was the main attraction for me. I tried watching the spin-off, Ashes to Ashes, which follows a female cop who goes back to the early 80's and meets up with the same group minus the John Simm character, obviously. It was apparently pretty popular in the UK, but I just couldn't get into it.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 5:04am

Post #31 of 85 (769 views)
Shortcut
Ashes to Ashes has been on my 'saved' list on Netflix for years [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think they're getting it.

Have you seen Simm in State of Play?

Life on Mars UK is in my top 5 list of all time favorite shows.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2014, 5:06am

Post #32 of 85 (766 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. Maybe it's just as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind confusing and creepy, but it says it's pretty violent and I have a pretty low tolerance for violence. Unsure Oh well.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 5:08am

Post #33 of 85 (763 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

It was pretty cool when I discovered that I got BBCA so I could watch some of these shows live (or almost, I think they're slightly delayed from the UK airings). I'd only ever seen John Simm as the Master, and while he did a good job, I do have a hard time watching some of those episodes, esp the S3 finale. I wasn't sure I'd be able to see past the Master, but he did a good job with this. Too bad the show is so creepy. I never saw the UK Life on Mars, just the US one, which is where I first saw Jason O'Mara and really liked it. I keep meaning to check out the UK one, so maybe I'll do that instead of continuing with this new show.

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Kim
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 5:12am

Post #34 of 85 (768 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL I was doing the same thing throughout the show, and kept feeling like I was missing something. Creepy bananas indeed.

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 7:57am

Post #35 of 85 (768 views)
Shortcut
I loved State of Play [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only did it have the always excellent John Simm, but also David Morrissey, who has been my crush since 'One Summer'.
John Simm was very good in Cracker and The Lakes, early in his career. And he was a standout in the movie Human Traffic.
I was never able to get into Life on Mars, or Ashes to Ashes. The rest of my family were right into both.

acheron
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 12:40pm

Post #36 of 85 (773 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

I had never gotten around to episodes 2 and 3 of the third series of Sherlock, so finally watched those. Both were pretty good. Though I don't know what's up with the ending.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Annael
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 2:08pm

Post #37 of 85 (750 views)
Shortcut
oh, that could be good [In reply to] Can't Post

When I saw "Her" I was reminded of "Childhood's End."

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2014, 3:12pm

Post #38 of 85 (751 views)
Shortcut
If Only with Daniel Radcliff [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting to watch Daniel Radcliff nowdays, post-Harry Potter. This is a romantic comedy and I thoroughly enjoyed myself watching it. Basic story line is he's a fellow who falls in love with someone who already has a boyfriend, but they become fast friends. The mutual attraction is obvious, but neither of them wants to cross the line. All the main actors are good in their roles (I particularly liked the guy who played Daniel's best friend), and of course it has a happy ending. All of which, for me, was a very welcome relief from the violence and frenetic energy of most of the commercially successful films out there on the big screen. This one is a small, lightweight, fun movie. And Daniel is, as ever, adorable.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 3:31pm

Post #39 of 85 (742 views)
Shortcut
I've seen both West Wing and Studio 60 [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, there are a lot of similarities. I really enjoyed Studio 60, but I've always liked The West Wing better. Probably only because it ran longer and there's more material to love.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 3:37pm

Post #40 of 85 (743 views)
Shortcut
Will was a tough sell for me, too [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably because I missed Sam so much when they wrote him out of the show. But then the writers made him Toby's antagonist before I could get used to him, and any chance of loving him went out the window for me.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 3:47pm

Post #41 of 85 (745 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen this video? [In reply to] Can't Post

Daniel Radcliffe Surprises Fans At A Movie Theater

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2014, 4:18pm

Post #42 of 85 (736 views)
Shortcut
Just got addicted to Diablo lll. [In reply to] Can't Post

Had the demo sitting on my PS3 for a few months, having read such great things about the series. Gave it a shot a couple of times, but it never really took-- i'd never played a Diablo game before, and all the menus and information on the screen were a bit overwhelming and i found it quite impenetrable. But for some reason (boredom) i gave it another shot last week-end, and it just started to click. Before i knew it, i'd reached the demo's level cap at 9 and defeated the first 'boss' (not an easy task). I was hooked.

Conveniently enough, the Diablo lll Ultimate Evil Edition just came out this past week, with all the DLC and various streamlining updates included, and optimized for new gen consoles, so it looks like i'm getting a PS4 this week-end. Was going to be getting one soon anyway, with Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor just around the corner (not to mention Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within, plus a bunch of others). Looking forward to a lot of excellent gaming!

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Aug 27 2014, 4:22pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 6:09pm

Post #43 of 85 (732 views)
Shortcut
Hellcats of the Navy [In reply to] Can't Post

1957. Ronald Reagan and Nancy Davis. Less flag-waving than I expected, and more drama. It's not one of the great WW2 submarine movies, but I've seen a lot worse.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

dubulous
Rohan

Aug 27 2014, 6:41pm

Post #44 of 85 (735 views)
Shortcut
I have succumbed to the Great British Bake Off [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never even been particularly interested in baking, but there's something very entertaining and also relaxing about that show.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2014, 9:28pm

Post #45 of 85 (725 views)
Shortcut
I have not [In reply to] Can't Post

watched Studio 60....will have to keep my eye out for it.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2014, 10:05pm

Post #46 of 85 (720 views)
Shortcut
That's so funny!! Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only imagine the shock of those people, to have Daniel appear right next to them!! LOL! What fun!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Aug 27 2014, 10:35pm

Post #47 of 85 (724 views)
Shortcut
What Lies Beneath, Under the Dome... [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't be going to Into the Storm for the third time until Sunday (they only had a 9:55 p.m. showing last week, so I had to skip it, and going on Thursday just didn't work for me), but since it's moving to our cheaper theater, it will only cost me $6.50 for a matinee instead of $10 something, and the concession stand only costs about $9.50 (depending on what combo you get) instead of $14, so I'll be saving about $8.

What Lies Beneath - I finally saw the whole thing, since they reran it last weekend (on a different channel). Miranda Otto (who plays Eowyn in the LotR Trilogy) played the new neighbor's wife, whom Claire (played by Michelle Pfeiffer) thought was haunting her house, when it was actually Madison (the missing girl, whom Harrison Ford's character killed for threatening to tell the Dean about their affair). It also starred James Remar, who played a escaped convict in 48 Hrs (haven't seen that one in a while). I think he played the husband to Miranda Otto's character, but I'm not certain.

Under the Dome, Season 2 - It gets more interesting every week. I'm curious as to Big Jim Rennie's reaction to the return of his wife, Pauline (whom he thought was dead), and what happened to Lyle? Did he turn back because he was afraid to face the past event or premonition before returning to Chester's Mill or what? This show certainly keeps you on the edge of your seat, and like any movie or TV series based on a Stephen King novel or short story, it starts out innocent enough, but there's always something sinister brewing under the surface.

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 28 2014, 1:57am

Post #48 of 85 (712 views)
Shortcut
OMG...."Childhood's END" Chills Bomby to the BONE.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Did read a Rumor about it....
Bomby has a Loooong History with THAT BOOK!

In College (1970) in the Student book Store
there were 3 Books for a SciFi course...
"Dune", "Stranger in a Strange Land" & "Childhood's End"
Didn't take the course but read each...Absolutely! Have read.. "CE" again & Again..

Oddest thingie,
Bomby goes with Goldberry about 1988 to our
Famous OUTDOOR Red Rocks Amphitheater, west of Denver...

To see the FULL Colorado Symphony conducted by
John Williams? ( Jaws, Star Wars ,Close Encounters, ,ET.. etc.)
PLAY SciFi Movie Music under the Galaxy of our Stars?in Colorado?

WELL, What absolutely KILLED us, Brought us, to Tears of JOY...

Special Surprise Guest? Standing @ a Podium? ...William SHATNER!...

READ the FINAL.SHORT Chapter of Childhood's END
W/ our FULL Symphony Roaring out ..Gustav Holst's..."The PLANETS"
to "END" this SHOW?

BL:SS...& Some BL:ISS ...Some more! for the 10,000 people THERE STANDING!

Other than "The Mountains of Madness"
(H.P. Lovecraft's Novella) as a Movie by. our GDT...

Those are the only 2 thingies..Bomby needs to Stay Alive to see...?Before Passing... into the WEST!

ThankYOU
MaggieMay &
Mendelor

Bomby
{your humbled servant }

Shocked

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 28 2014, 2:18am

Post #49 of 85 (712 views)
Shortcut
The third episode was bad IMHO [In reply to] Can't Post

Just weird and very unsherlock. But I have great expectations for the next season. Whenever it gets here. Frown

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Aug 28 2014, 2:18am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2014, 2:22am

Post #50 of 85 (700 views)
Shortcut
I tried to find it [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to find it on youtube - that's where I saw Life on Mars - but I could only find bits and pieces. I know I should get Netflix, but I'm afraid if I did I'd get too caught up in binge watching that I'd fall behind doing things I need to do in RL. Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.