Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Apparently, Elves Are The Ninjas of Middle Earth? Who will be the ultimate Ninja...lol...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Aug 26 2014, 6:43pm

Post #1 of 30 (1699 views)
Shortcut
Apparently, Elves Are The Ninjas of Middle Earth? Who will be the ultimate Ninja...lol... Can't Post

So who would you like to see execute the coolest moves in the upcoming film?

Legolas, Tauriel, Galadriel (short appearance only though), Thandruil or Elrond?

We've seen what Legolas and Tauriel can do, but Thandruil not yet, as well as Galadriel, and very little of Elrond (and I don't remember seeing anything special). Should it be reserved for Thandruil when he goes into battle, or Galadriel when she "loses her mind" apparently, or Elrond whom I think will be used to deal with orc army in the battle of Dol Guldur. Or maybe it will be Tauriel before she apparently gets killed...hmmm....

-- GOM--

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 21 2014, 3:20am)

VValar
Gondor

Aug 26 2014, 7:08pm

Post #2 of 30 (1190 views)
Shortcut
I'm rooting for Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Having seen just a tiny bit of his fighting in the teaser, I'm already expecting quite a lot. And as LP said: he is a real game-changer when he enters the battle. So that is setting the bar quite high.
And if Legolas' fighting is any indicator of how well his dad fights, we're in for a treat. Seeing as it would be logical that Thranduil (as he is older and has more experience in battle) would surpass his son in fighting technique and speed.

elf-lady
Rivendell

Aug 26 2014, 8:21pm

Post #3 of 30 (1126 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't someone in the production say that when he enters battle he's a "game changer"? I definitely want to see cool (but not silly) moves from him. Other than Thranduil it would be cool to see Galadriel and Elrond get all medieval on orcs and wargs!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 26 2014, 8:21pm

Post #4 of 30 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much what he said [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a clip out there somewhere of Thranduil holding a sword in his left hand using a reverse-grip. I imagine Lee Pace (or his stunt double) had to work really hard to perfect that. I don't see Galadrial with a sword, probably more her "In place of a dark lord you will have a QUEEN" mode, which could also be epic!

I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 26 2014, 11:30pm

Post #5 of 30 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Way over every other 'Elf'. Thranduil is the most Elf-like of all the 'Elves' by far (LotR and Hobbit), and has grace and a huge amount of acting ability. He really plays the part well. I really want to see a lot more of him.

After him, I think Elrond is very impressive – as seen, for instance, in the Prologue to FotR – and he looks great in armour both in the LotR films, and such a long time later, in The Hobbit. With him, there really is no difference between then and now, as far as I can see.

Personally, I would not like to see Galadriel fight – and certainly wouldn't like to see that horrible (to me) green phase in FotR…

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Aug 26 2014, 11:32pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 1:56am

Post #6 of 30 (1055 views)
Shortcut
IMO re the elves, Thranduil is uber-cool [In reply to] Can't Post

The long blades, the reverse grip, the whole effect = BADASS. Not that L & T don't do some nice knife work, but this looks EPICHeartHeartHeart A true elven king, a winter kingHeartHeartHeart

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Thorinitis: Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things.

Faleel
Rohan

Aug 27 2014, 2:01am

Post #7 of 30 (1033 views)
Shortcut
.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Green" mode?

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 2:14am

Post #8 of 30 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Definitely Thranduil FTW [In reply to] Can't Post

*ahem* As analysed in the Thranduil's Weapons and Fighting Style thread, Thranduil is just too BADASS not to take top honours. Juust... no surfy Leggy stunts please.Frown His gravitas is just too elegant for that Tongue

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A tag-team fanfic with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 6:25am

Post #9 of 30 (1021 views)
Shortcut
CAN a BOY?.... JUMP into this GIRL.... thread? [In reply to] Can't Post

SURE Fans of ......."HeartTHROBBin' Thranny."
.........ARE Important
BUT
Bomby VOTES?

Bifur,
Bofur
Bombur... or
Balin..
or? MAY it BE..?
Bard, his son Bain, Beorn, The BEAR.. or
even BilBo....?

Jus'...
BEcause..

Bomby izz a
BOY?

Bomby often WONDERzz @bout?
All thesezzz

GIRLzzz... here on
TORnTV?

Thizz is a
"B" ...Movie...after ALL?

Wink Heart Blush Crazy Shocked

(Bomby BETS he izz... in "TrouBle", NOW?)

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Aug 27 2014, 6:27am)

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Aug 27 2014, 6:33am

Post #10 of 30 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Here's my take on it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel, if going to die, will likely sacrifice herself in battle to save her love or Legolas; may not be as epic fighting but probably gritty and memorable....

Legolas will definitely have cool scenes, but most likely most spread out moves; nothing super memorable in return for having many screen shots

Galadriel, being a Noldor, may not necessarily have the best moves, but probably should be shown to move faster than most of the other Elves, and perhaps display more mystical powers, and if she's to fight Sauron, I have a feeling it will be one of those magic/sword fights Wuxia style (but ME version...lol)..

Thandruil, well, someone already said it....Legolas must have learned his cool moves from his father, but I am not sure if he will better than Elrond. I think the Ninja of ME should go Elrond..lol

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 8:06am

Post #11 of 30 (985 views)
Shortcut
No idea what a ninja is - apart from a turtle ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

... but the ultimate elf in The Hobbit is...the Elvenking - and film Thranduil is certainly living up to expectations. He has the presence, the grace, the edge of danger, and I'm betting when it comes to fighting he's the one who taught Legolas all he knows.

Galadriel won't fight with a weapon, I don't think. In fact, I doubt if she'll fight at all - her power is of a completely different kind.

(This post was edited by dormouse on Aug 27 2014, 8:07am)

VValar
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 9:52am

Post #12 of 30 (969 views)
Shortcut
Sure a Boy can jump in [In reply to] Can't Post

But how can you vote for the B's of Middle Earth (except for Beorn, though I wouldn't exactly call him a ninja, I would be very afraid if I saw that Bear running after me)..... when there is so much Badass fighting going on with the Beautiful to Behold Elves?

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2014, 12:06pm

Post #13 of 30 (963 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved the cool, elegant way he took off that orc's head without even looking at it and I'm hoping for some wonderful sword work in the battle. Honest, I'm really not a bloodthirsty person but would love to see the Elven King in action.

As for Galadriel, please please please no sword fighting. That would be absolutely awful.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 1:56pm

Post #14 of 30 (965 views)
Shortcut
The Elf you never see. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm voting Gildor Inglorion.

Aragorn and Legolas went now with Éomer in the van.
-Helm’s Deep, Chapter 7, Book III, The Two Towers

"Rorth Rorlingas!!"

Sauron: "And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling hobbits!"

(Thanks to Brethil for image and battlecry.)

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 2:59pm

Post #15 of 30 (942 views)
Shortcut
I've often seen him.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..whenever I read the book Wink

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 3:27pm

Post #16 of 30 (939 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...he's seen you even more often:

'We have seen you often before with Bilbo, though you may not have seen us.'

They now marched on again in silence, and passed like shadows...

Sound like ninjas to me! (Or rather, *don't* sound...)

"Rorth Rorlingas!!"

Sauron: "And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling hobbits!"

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 3:59pm

Post #17 of 30 (918 views)
Shortcut
Good one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly a Ninja is not some form of turtle, then..... Tongue

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 4:59pm

Post #18 of 30 (918 views)
Shortcut
Frankly... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I think the "Teenage" part of the description of the turtles in question would preclude them from being quiet.

Therefore "Teenage Ninja" would be an oxymoron, like “Military Intelligence”, "Microsoft Works", or "Faithful Adaptation".

Er, wait. Am I going to be in trouble for an ageist comment? My only excuse is I haven't had my morning dose of gin and prune juice yet. As Stephen King said, "it really moves the mail". (It, Chapter 14, "The Album".)

"Rorth Rorlingas!!"

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 5:01pm

Post #19 of 30 (907 views)
Shortcut
Trouble LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby often WONDERzz @bout?
All thesezzz

GIRLzzz... here on
TORnTV?

Thizz is a
"B" ...Movie...after ALL?

Wink Heart Blush Crazy Shocked

(Bomby BETS he izz... in "TrouBle", NOW?)

*Cough* There is no end to the fun re a comment like thisWink, but for one thing, you wouldn't be wondering about all the girls (we just wanna have fun!!!!) unless you were PEEKING Shockedat the threads....and I think you are a guy. Wink

Tho this being the 'net, what makes anyone here know the actual gender/age/specifics of who they are talking to? You know what they say about ASSUMEWinkShocked.

Anyway, what boy movie? *Grins* IMO more like an OMG-thank-gawd-i-was-born-so-I-can-see-this, shut-the-lights-off, get-me-an-oxygen-tank-and-some-ice movie. *SQUUEEEEE*HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

*Ahem*Blush Just sayin'. Tho of course I, myself, view these films with a completely DISPASSIONATE eye and with keen intellectualism, above all interested in the incorporation of classical themes combined with Jungian influence infused with modern ideologies and subtle societal commentary.Cool

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Thorinitis: Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 5:05pm

Post #20 of 30 (909 views)
Shortcut
DStone? No WONDER you are.. "Half-Eleven" [In reply to] Can't Post

AND gettin' REALY CLOSE
to goin'
"IMMORTAL"..sooooon

( Bomby... izzz... a
BIG Fan of DStone..)

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 5:09pm

Post #21 of 30 (901 views)
Shortcut
We understand Elarie [In reply to] Can't Post

Honest, I'm really not a bloodthirsty person but would love to see the Elven King in action.

It's the same reason I want to see Thorin fire off an arrow at whoever is annoying him *grins*

HeartHeartHeart

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Aug 27 2014, 7:46pm

Post #22 of 30 (891 views)
Shortcut
Lol...why no sword fighting for Galadriel and how about Elrond? [In reply to] Can't Post

Her mother-name was Nerwen ("man-maiden"), and she grew to be tall beyond the measure even of the women of the Noldor; she was strong of body, mind, and will, a match for both the loremasters and the athletes of the Eldar in the days of their youth"

...I doubt when they meant athlete they meant just running around and jumping hurdles. As for Elrond, being the son of Earendil, grandchild of Turgon, king of Gondolin. Turgon came from Valinor (the West) to Middle-Earth and was one of the Noldor, who are the most skilled and wisest of all Elven clans due to their nature and long years of contact with the Valar.

Although I would like to see Thandruil kick major ass, I think Elrond should be portrayed to be more skilled...

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2014, 8:28pm

Post #23 of 30 (893 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel's power [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel is a survivor of the crushing ice, so she's definitely strong and could probably wield a mean sword, but I imagine her as having a different kind of power to bring to the table. Somehow she threw down the walls of Dol Guldur, something that apparently no one else could do, so I'm really hoping they leave Galadriel as Tolkien wrote her. There are already so many people with swords running around, to add Galadriel to their number just takes away her specialness and makes her real power seem less important.

Also, I'm just really, really tired of the current movie trend that says that only women who turn themselves into pint-size little man-clones can be worthy of respect.

Galadriel has no sword. Galadriel needs no sword. Wink

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2014, 8:42pm

Post #24 of 30 (880 views)
Shortcut
I like your thinking, Elarie! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Galadriel has no sword. Galadriel needs no sword. Wink

I am really hoping to see Galadriel "throw down" the walls of Dol Guldur in her own unique way. I'll be even more impressed if she does it barefoot. Cool

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Glassary
Rivendell

Aug 28 2014, 1:29am

Post #25 of 30 (874 views)
Shortcut
Feel it's going to be Thranduil going all ninja. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it would be amazing to see Galadriel unleash some elven awesomeness and
show the boys how it's done.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.