Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, etc. have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 26 2014, 3:42pm

Post #1 of 85 (735 views)
Shortcut
What movies, tv shows, etc. have you watched recently? Can't Post

Tell us about them here.

We need a few more threads on this board to be able to post a new thread on Sunday night / Monday morning. Last week was particularly slow across all the boards and I guess the new tradition can be just to keep a running thread that gets posted when the old one falls off.

Some entertainment news...

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pushed Guardians of the Galaxy off the top spot for two weeks in a row but last week, GoG regained that spot.

Anyone seen TMNT? No one? Even my sons who still have Ninja Turtle toys around (they are now 28 and 30) seem to have no interest in the Michael Bay movie.

Also, Viggo Mortensen's Cannes award winning movie "Jauja" has gotten US distribution. I know nothing about this movie but wikipedia says its in Danish and Spanish, was produced by Viggo, stars Viggo, and has music written by Viggo.

IMDB says, "A father and daughter journey from Denmark to an unknown desert that exists in a realm beyond the confines of civilization"

Here's a couple of reviews:
http://thefilmstage.com/...cannes-review-jauja/
http://variety.com/...ew-jauja-1201193594/

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Immortal

Aug 26 2014, 4:06pm

Post #2 of 85 (377 views)
Shortcut
Guardians of the Galaxy (2nd time), The Last Ship finale, LBDs [In reply to] Can't Post

speaking of Michael Bay, I continue to be amazed at how much better "The Last Ship" is than I would expect from the likes of him. Now they're dealing with the breakdown of society after a major plague in a way that seems quite realistic and thoughtful to me.

Continue to adore Eric Dane. Love all the strong women characters including Alfre Woodard, a new addition to the cast.

GotG was just as fun the second time around, & I caught some lines I missed the first time. What a fun cast. Groot is still my favorite. My goodness but Lee Pace has bulked up. Have to say I'm not really a fan of the overly muscled look.

I've got the CDs of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries & am watching them. Apparently I missed quite a few when I watched online, so that's fun.

Alas I could not see the season opener of Doctor Who because rats have chewed through my satellite cable, a problem that revealed that I have rats living in the crawlspace, so the exterminator's been & left traps & recommended that once the rats are gone, we get the insulation company in to replace the insulation and visqueen, and because the only reason the rats got in is that DirecTV drilled holes through the vents to pass the cable through (to run it from one corner to the next inside of the crawlspace instead of along the outside of the house, why?), my landlords intend to make DirecTV pay for all that AND replace the cables with more rat-proof options. So I'm TV-less and having to beg friends to let me come over and watch at their house.

Also the exterminator discovered, while he was down there, that the plumbers never connected my shower drain. The water's been running out into the crawlspace for six years. We can't ding DirecTV for that one, but it explains the foul smell coming out of my drain! So now I have to shower at my landlord's house until THAT gets fixed . . .

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 26 2014, 4:10pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2014, 4:09pm

Post #3 of 85 (368 views)
Shortcut
movies and films and stuffs.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy three times, including once while on vacation on Chincoteague Island VA (home of saltwater cowboys and the only wild horse roundup on the east coast). I had seen it in 3D in large theaters back in PA, and normally wouldn't waste beach time on a film, but my friend who was also vacationing there had not seen it and wouldn't likely get a chance back home so we went (I raided their motel fridge, she got a free film). Wink

The theater is a tiny one, once called the Island Roxy, now just the Island Theater. Classic decor, a flat enough seating arrangement that I had to move over a seat when a tall lady sat in front of me. Across from the theater is a bronze statue of Misty of Chincoteague (the pony made famous in the Marguerite Henry kids' books), and in front of the theater is a set of hoofprints (Misty's) in the concrete, signed by Marguerite Henry.

There were a handful of Marvel fans in the theater, and one (teenish) kid in the concession area who didn't think staying to the end was worth it.

"Then you must not be a fan!" I said.

"I AM a fan!" he replied...

Just an opinionated young member of Short Attention Span Theater who didn't want to wait through credits. So adorable... if I had a kid it'd probably be that one and we'd be arguing about credits scenes.

It was 2D and kind of a small screen, and a bit darkish (old theater, though they do have digital technology now), and at some point I began yawning (long day) but likely the most interesting viewing of GotG yet, just for its weird end of the world location.

The film is worth several viewings, just for its great glorious details. A classic that brings back the sheer yee-hah! of the first Star Wars and Indiana Jones films.

Also got the art books for How to Train Your Dragon (1 and 2), which stands as one of my favorite animated films ever. The art books point out the incredible attention to detail and reality that the artists and writers and designers put into the films. Of course no artist can please everyone all the time, so there will always be critics. I just happen to think this is one amazing set of films (there will be a third too).

For me, the idea of flight, and the relationship between Toothless and Hiccup is what resonates. When I was very small, I fell in love with the Black Horse: Zorro's horse Tornado, Fury of Broken Wheel Ranch, the Black Stallion. Later I read Kipling's Jungle Books, and fell in love with the black panther Bagheera. At 29 I adopted a mustang through the Bureau of Land Management's wild horse adoption program. She had spent 8 years running with a wild herd, was untamed, was a fantastic learning experience... and of course, she was black.

The symbology of the Black Beast which is a companion/protector of young adventurers runs through many tales... mythic imagery brought to life wonderfully by the HTTYD films.

I've flown a few times in planes both large and small (and once in a sailplane), "flown" underwater as a scuba diver, and roared on a reach on a hundred foot long privateer (the Pride of Baltimore II)... the films' flying sequences capture the pure joy of flight.

And finally, the writers address other kinds of relationships beyond sexual attraction (though they riff on that too) and show us some healthy relationships, not ones fraught with "drama".

I have not seen TMNT, and after reading a few reviews decided it wasn't worth the effort. I liked the earlier versions quite a lot, enough to collect some toys, but this looks overwrought, overloud, and mindless.

And the new Dr Who.

Priceless.

Now I have to find a way to keep getting the episodes...

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 26 2014, 4:25pm

Post #4 of 85 (367 views)
Shortcut
caught bits of Cold Mountain on TV (with diverse thoughts on genealogy) [In reply to] Can't Post

normally, catching bits of a movie on tv wouldn't be 'worthy' of remarking in this thread. But Cold Mountain is one of those movies that hits me in uncomfortable ways - but in ways I can't dismiss or ignore. Two words I can apply to it: Powerful. Sorrowful. ... it's full of sorrow. Jack Black even sings, "I'm a man of constant sorrow." They are all folk of fairly constant sorrow.

I watched it once (in the theaters) and I can't bring myself to watch certain scenes again. But when it's on, I can't not try to catch other scenes. I am drawn to it and repelled by it at the same time (and not repelled by disgust... I am speaking of a natural force similar to the opposing poles of magnetism.)

I can't hardly watch any of Inman's journey scenes (again... just too powerful and sorrowful). I like very many of Ada's scenes. I can't watch Sally Swanger's (Kathy Baker's character) defining scene. I love (almost) all of the scenes with the musicians, Stobrod, Pangle, and Georgia. The final scene of the film moves be greatly.

I said it was a movie full of sorrow. I feel that's so even with the light and hope present in the final scene. But the final scene is the Civil War version of the minstrel scene in Return of the King. pain and delight flow together. (interesting that Tolkien and director, Minghella, both paired this post-trauma moment with music)

I love the music. The early scene, Siege of Petersburg - Battle of the Crater, is set to the shape note song, Idumea. The men are fighting close quarters in what is essentially a pit. They are trapped and fighting has morphed to chaotic slaughter. The ground under the soldiers became a slippery mixture of mud and blood and over the top of it all the mad fighting was the sound of a strong, choral Shape Note song. "Oh, am I born to die?" the Greek chorus sings over the desperate sounds of hand to hand combat and men dying badly.

I was familiar with Shape Note but this was an especially powerfully sung song that, alone, would have moved me... combined with the images on screen it was overwhelming. I sought out (after my first viewing) more info on it and found, fairly quickly, that it was (apparently) a place in the Bible. But in continuing the search, I also found it was a name for a boy and that it meant: Red, earthy, bloody.

apt.

I have been doing a lot of genealogy work and sometimes, it's gleefully easy to track down ancestors with little work (and no cost!). Other times, there are mysteries and dark places where info is hard to get. What happened to the two children between the ages between the ages of 5 and 10 in the household in 1840 who are not there in 1850. Were they grown and out of the house? Did they die? What can't I find that person in a particular year.

As I watched Cold Mountain and thought of all the people who were buried in mass graves or lay where they fell till the animals took them... I wondered how war and battle has affected my ancestral line in ways I'll never know. I thought the same thing while watching Klondike. All those folks that died in Alaska chasing gold. Their fates are unknown to us as we peruse the records mankind keeps.

I came to no profound conclusions while pondering all this - and switching to and away from a movie I can't watch and can't *not* watch.

Anthony Minghella (director) left us too early.

And I couldn't get this song out of my head, two days later, so I sought it out on youtube to listen to (although I have the soundtrack).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQDl6cyj2Y

This is for the scene that takes place in church as the hymn is interrupted by news that war has been declared.

Kudos to Tim Erickson and T. Bone Burnett for their work on the music of this film.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 26 2014, 5:55pm

Post #5 of 85 (354 views)
Shortcut
a couple of youtube videos - just for fun [In reply to] Can't Post

If you didn't catch Weird Al on the Emmy's last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhiJ7gIvgSw
the best part was the end.

And I sent this video to my husband who has the 'grandparent' urge as much as I ever had the maternal urge. He can't stop watching this adorable little girl who is going to be rocket scientist someday.

http://io9.com/...will-make-1626050715

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 26 2014, 6:10pm

Post #6 of 85 (365 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Emperor (2012). Tommy Lee Jones is fantastic as Gen. Douglas MacArthur just taking the reins of the military occupation of Japan. Less so is Matthew Fox as Gen. Bonner Fellers who must conduct a sub-rosa determination of whether Emperor Hirohito should be prosecuted for war crimes in the name of justice, or allowed to retain his position for the good of post-war reconstruction. When the film sticks to the subject it’s very engrossing. When it veers into a hokey totally unneeded subplot featuring an ill-starred romance between Fellers and a Japanese woman he knew before the war the picture comes to a complete stop. The last scenes of the first meeting between MacArthur and the Emperor are wonderful!
-Recommended if you love history, politics, and have the technical capability to fast-forward through the boring love scenes.

Nanking (2007). A documentary about the 1937 massacre at and Japanese occupation of Nanking where over a quarter of a million Chinese civilians were killed. Told with old newsreels and photographs, both Chinese survivors and Japanese soldiers tell firsthand stories. Also re-enactors read excerpts from the diaries, letters, and speeches of the Westerners who worked in the demilitarized Nanking Safety Zone which provided a safe refuge for civilians and was credited with saving from 50,000 to 250,000 lives. Featured is German businessman and Nazi Party member John Rabe who set up and managed the zone. Extremely horrifying. Extremely moving.
-Very highly recommended lest we forget.

Faith aka The Great Doctor. (The Korean characters used in the title mean both.) 24 episode TV series (2012). Starts out as an historical drama, with young Prince Gongmin, long held as a hostage in dominant Yuan (China), crossing the border as the latest king of Goryeo (old name of Korea). He is accompanied by his new bride, the Yuan princess Noguk. They are protected by the Royal Guard, led by Captain Choi Young. Now history tells us King Gongmin was a great reformer of Goryeo, breaking the dominance of Yuan over the nation. And he and Princess Noguk were very much in love. And Choi Young became the king’s most trusted general, victorious in wars that recovered lost Goryeo lands long occupied by Yuan.

But instead we find Gongmin is timid and lacks confidence, he and his queen can’t stand to be in the same room with each other, and Choi Young, disdainful of the young Yuan-raised king, plans to leave the king’s army after this last assignment and become a fisherman.

Whoa!! Something is wrong with the world!

Even wronger is when evil Goryeo prince and brother to the Yuan empress Ki Chul has the royal party ambushed and the queen is mortally wounded. Obviously if the king of Goryeo can’t protect his new queen then he surely can’t protect his new nation. Thus the nation would be reduced to a mere fortress state of Yuan with you-know-who in charge.

But the best laid schemes of mice and psychopaths gang aft agley. A Divine Healer could save the queen. Luckily there is a shrine to the Divine Healer Hwata nearby. And even luckier a gate to heaven that opens only every 300 years just happens to be open. So Choi Young goes through the gate but instead of heaven he ends up in the plastic surgery capital of the modern world, the Gangnam (no jokes about Gangnam style) district of Seoul. There he kidnaps whiny, self-centered, money-hungry plastic surgeon Yoo Eun-soo.

And that’s just in the first half of the first episode!

Will the queen be saved? Will the king become the wise and strong ruler he is meant to be? Will king and queen find the great love together that history tell us they had? Will Choi Young and the king learn mutual loyalty and respect? Will Yoo Eun-soo become an even halfway bearable character? Will Choi Young keep his vow to return Eun-soo to 2012? Will she still want to go? Will he want her to go? Exactly how many people can Ki Chul murder over 24 episodes and still leave Goryeo with any population base at all?

Like most Korean series the production values are high, the colors gorgeous, the acting affecting. Yu Oh-seong delightfully chews the scenery as really really bad guy Ki Chul, Lee Min-ho brings Choi Young from an emotionally wounded and distant cynic to a man who rediscovers and reaffirms his lost ideals, and veteran actress Kim Hee-sun turns Eun-soo from a nerve-grating annoyance you’d gleefully strangle to an extremely deep and moving character you’ll truly like and admire.

-Very highly recommended, except if you can’t stand subtitles.

Aragorn and Legolas went now with Éomer in the van.
-Helm’s Deep, Chapter 7, Book III, The Two Towers

"Rorth Rorlingas!!"

Sauron: "And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling hobbits!"

(Thanks to Brethil for image and battlecry.)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 26 2014, 6:27pm

Post #7 of 85 (351 views)
Shortcut
Fringe seasons 4 & 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched seasons 1-3 of Fringe forever ago and never picked up 4 & 5 to finish out the show. I really enjoyed the show & the characters, especially Walter Bishop (as played by John Noble) but I have some gripes with the direction the show went in the final seasons. It would be spoilerish to say more, but I did enjoy the final seasons.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Donry
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2014, 9:45pm

Post #8 of 85 (342 views)
Shortcut
West Wing, Breaking Bad, Clone Wars, Various Podcasts... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi...

I watched a lot of the West Wing while it was on, but never watched it from start to finish. So I am slowly doing that now on Netflix via binge-watching. The same for Breaking Bad and the Clone Wars. All great series in my opinion. Just love the speed (pace) of the West Wing, and in contrast, the almost turtle like pace of the first couple seasons of Breaking Bad. I have become a regular downloader of podcasts as well. On a weekly basis now I am listening to some (not all) of the pods coming the TheForce.net I also listen to a couple of the Oakland Raider podcasts out there. Kevin Smith has an entire network of podcasts of which I download 3-4 different ones each week...some involve Kevin Smith, others don't. His buddies on the TV show Comic Book Men have podcasts on Smith's network as well, that don't involve Kevin Smith. His network is called 'Smodcast Network'. There is another that I quite like, it is two former Toronto morning radio hosts that started their own venture about three years ago. They were the top rated morning show in Canada for a few years back in the late 80's/early '90's on the CFNY radio station. They are quite good imho, and thier show is the Humble and Fred Radio show....They have some fantastic discussions on the radio industry - where is was when they were on top, where is is today and where it is heading..... I sometimes download old wrestlers podcasts as well. I was a fan of wrestling years ago. Guys like Roddy Rowdy Piper and Stone Cold Steve Austin have weekly podcasts now. I only download those if I'm interested in their guest.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 26 2014, 10:06pm

Post #9 of 85 (341 views)
Shortcut
I have great love for The West Wing, but [In reply to] Can't Post

only the first three seasons - new characters and different writing didn't do it for me from season four onward.

Even after all these years, TWW still has some of the best dialogue around.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 26 2014, 11:09pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2014, 10:08pm

Post #10 of 85 (333 views)
Shortcut
First four seasons... [In reply to] Can't Post

The writers change happened after Season 4.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 26 2014, 11:09pm

Post #11 of 85 (329 views)
Shortcut
The Almighty Johnsons - season two [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm half-way through rewatching this season, with Agneta showing a cold-hearted compassion, Loki making a lasting impression on the Johnson family and Axl's growing powers taking surprising twists. Also, Anders is back - cue more needling of his brothers.

I'm looking forward to the return of Thor - he's my favourite god of the lot.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 26 2014, 11:09pm

Post #12 of 85 (329 views)
Shortcut
Yep, [In reply to] Can't Post

but not even Aaron Sorkin could make me love the new communications staffer who is introduced in season four.

Ataahua's stories

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2014, 12:05am

Post #13 of 85 (327 views)
Shortcut
Will Bailey? [In reply to] Can't Post

Awww, I loved his character so much. Smile At least at that point in the show. Then the new writers took over and abruptly changed him from an idealist into a cynic (I was like "huh"?).

For me, the first four seasons are perfect television. I still like the show after that (aside from a few character arc related quibbles), but it's definitely not the same.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Aug 27 2014, 12:09am)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 27 2014, 12:10am

Post #14 of 85 (320 views)
Shortcut
Me too! I'm not a marvel fan but I love me some Thor. [In reply to] Can't Post

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Annael
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 12:31am

Post #15 of 85 (319 views)
Shortcut
uh . . . his character's very different in The Almighty Johnsons. [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably truer to the original . . .

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2014, 12:53am

Post #16 of 85 (313 views)
Shortcut
Yes, as Annael says, [In reply to] Can't Post

Thor on The Almighty Johnsons is a rather different beast from Marvel's.

He has one of my favourite quotes of the entire show but unfortunately I'd have to tell myself off if I posted it here. Wink

Ataahua's stories

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2014, 3:29am

Post #17 of 85 (317 views)
Shortcut
Did I know you're into genealogy? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the main thing I spend time on these days other than paid work. I've even joined the DAR, to find others locally who were into family history research. One of my ancestors (2G grandfather) died in the Civil War. He was a Union soldier from West Virginia who was wounded at the battle of Piedmont, VA, and died in a Confederate hospital in Lynchburg, VA. His son (my great grandfather) was born after he went off to war, and his wife never knew where he was buried. It took major detective work to find him (since the Army lost the records of his death, listing him as a POW at the end of the war; plus he was born out of wedlock and used his legal name only when he married and when he enlisted). But I found him and visited his grave in Poplar Grove National Cemetary, only a couple hours' drive from where I live. It was kind of staggering to realize that I was the first of his descendants to know what became of him.

Hobbit Family Histories

Kim
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 4:03am

Post #18 of 85 (307 views)
Shortcut
Did anyone watch The Intruders after Doctor Who? [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to watch this (didn't realize John Simm was in it until it started) and I could not figure out what the heck was going on, so kind lost interest. Seemed to be following the recent trend in tv shows of people-coming-back-from-the dead, although I was getting an Invasion of the Body Snatchers vibe too. Little too creepy for me.

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Kim
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 4:06am

Post #19 of 85 (310 views)
Shortcut
Holy cow Annael! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's some bad house mojo you've got going on! Yikes. Hope it all gets fixed soon.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 4:12am

Post #20 of 85 (304 views)
Shortcut
I love Fringe [In reply to] Can't Post

but yeah, have to admit, they kinda lost me in Season 5. I stuck with it, but definitely enjoyed the earlier seasons better. And yeah, John Noble was awesome. I know it's blasphemy around here, but I think of him as Walter Bishop first, Denethor second. Tongue

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 4:22am

Post #21 of 85 (307 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you haven't been around much recently. :-)

I have dabbled in genealogy for a number of years but got more serious when my mother got ill and died since I was connecting with a lot of family around that time. I've even connected with some 'distant cousins' to share information.

I've had a lot of thoughts about what it means (if anything) to be forgotten or 'remembered' or maybe 'rediscovered' by distant relations. What does all our digging matter? Neither of my sons want children and neither of my siblings had children. So who remembers me down the road?

If nothing else, it's a fascinating puzzle and I love pondering the lives of these people as I glean small details.

How did this story of your ancestor survive? By the telling of it or by contemporary investigation.

I found some DAR records that tapped into my family lines that were kind of helpful which I suppose means I'm eligible. That's kind of ironic since when I came of age, the DAR was something my peer group despised.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 27 2014, 4:22am)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 4:31am

Post #22 of 85 (319 views)
Shortcut
more entertainment news: Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End being made into a miniseries [In reply to] Can't Post

If we all have one novel that triggers a shift from child to adult, mine was Childhood's End. It made me realize that people our there were having ideas way bigger than the people around me were having. I found a bigger world to step into (while stepping out of my small, confining one).

From io9:
it looks like Syfy's version of Arthur C. Clarke's classic novel Childhood's End is actually going to happen. Because there are some very familiar names running this project.

According to Deadline, Syfy's ordering Childhood's End to production as a six hour miniseries. Producing the project are Michael De Luca (The Social Network) and Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind). Writing the script is Matthew Graham (Life on Mars and Doctor Who) and just hired to direct is Nick Hurran (Doctor Who and Sherlock's "His Last Vow"). If nothing else, this line-up certainly suggests that Syfy is serious about doing this and doing it right.

Let's hope they succeed. Clarke's novel about an invasion of alien Overlords who turn Earth into a near-utopia is one of those works that changed the science fiction genre forever.

Who here recognizes Michael De Luca as a name connected early on to the LOTR movies? He had a habit of corresponding personally with fans about the project. That wouldn't happen today!

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 27 2014, 4:31am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2014, 4:47am

Post #23 of 85 (302 views)
Shortcut
Something with John Simm in it after Dr. Who?! Man, I really wish I had BBC America! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's bad enough that I miss out on Dr. Who, but missing John Simm as well is adding insult to injury. Unsure

I would never presume to say that I feel as strongly about John Simm as you do about RA, but I'm definitely a JS fan girl. Evil He made me hate myself for being so attracted to him as The Master in Dr. Who. I don't usually go for the bad boy types, and he was pretty bad. Fortunately, he made a great good guy in Life on Mars. Angelic

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 4:48am

Post #24 of 85 (299 views)
Shortcut
I thought he was brilliant in Life on Mars // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2014, 4:52am

Post #25 of 85 (298 views)
Shortcut
Ah, West Wing! I miss the old "walk and talks" :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.