Immortal

Aug 26 2014, 9:56am

Post #1 of 49 (3348 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 26 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 26, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
(not from the appendices)
..."In the Southfarthing the vines were laden, and the yield of 'leaf' was astonishing; and everywhere there was so much corn that at Harvest every barn was stuffed. The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sign: 'Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!'"

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 9:19am

Post #2 of 49 (3232 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 27, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Company makes its way north.
..."...Often long after the hobbits were wrapped in sleep [Elrond, Gandalf, Celeborn and Galadriel] would sit together under the stars, recalling the ages that were gone and all their joys and labours in the world, or holding council, concerning the days to come. If any wanderer had chanced to pass, little would he have seen or heard, and it would have seemed to him only that he saw grey figures, carved in stone, memorials of forgotten things now lost in unpeopled lands. For they did not move or speak with their mouth, looking from mind to mind and only their shining eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 28 2014, 9:55am

Post #3 of 49 (3224 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 28, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo searches out each Dwarf's cell
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Eventually... ...by watching and following the guards and taking what chances he could, he managed to find out where each dwarf was kept. He found all their twelve cells in different parts of the palace, and after a time he got to know his way about very well. What was his surprise one day to overhear some of the guards talking and to learn that there was another dwarf in prison too, in a specially deep dark place. He guessed at once... ...that that was Thorin; and after a while he found that his guess was right."

August 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They overtake Saruman
(from the appendices)
..."...As they came out again into open country at sundown they overtook an old man leaning on a staff, and he was clothed in rags of grey or dirty white, and at his heels went another beggar, slouching and whining.
...'Well Saruman!' said Gandalf. 'Where are you going?'
...'What is that to you?' he answered. 'Will you still order my goings, and are you not content with my ruin?'
...'You know the answers,' said Gandalf: 'no and no. But in any case the time of my labours now draws to an end... ...But will you scorn our help? For we offer it to you.'
...'To me?' said Saruman. 'Nay, pray do not smile at me! I prefer your frowns. And as for the Lady here, I do not trust her: she always hated me, and schemed for your part. I do not doubt that she has brought you this way to have the pleasure of gloating over my poverty...'
...'...Saruman,' said Galadriel, 'we have other errands and other cares that seem to us more urgent than hunting for you. Say rather that you are overtaken by good fortune; for now you have a last chance.'
...'If it be truly the last, I am glad... ...for I shall be spared the trouble of refusing it again. All my hopes are ruined, but I would not share yours...'
...'...Go!' he said. 'I did not spend long study on these matters for naught. You have doomed yourselves, and you know it. And it will afford me some comfort as I wander to think that you pulled down your own house when you destroyed mine. And now, what ship will bear you back across so wide a sea?' he mocked. 'It will be a grey ship, and full of ghosts.' He laughed, but his voice was cracked and hideous..."

......As the wretched pair passed by the company, they came to the hobbits, and Saruman stopped and stared at them; but they looked at him with pity.
...'So you have come to gloat too... ...my urchins?'"

2. Saruman turns towards the Shire.
(from the appendices)
..."Saruman laughed.... '...you hobbit-lordlings, riding along with all those great people, so secure and so pleased with your little selves. You thought you had done very well out of it all, and could now just amble back and have a nice quiet time in the country. Saruman's home could be all wrecked, and he could be turned out, but no one could touch yours. Oh no! Gandalf would look after your affairs... ...But you must go dangling after him, dawdling and talking, and riding round twice as far as you needed. "Well," thought I, "if they're such fools, I will get ahead of them and teach them a lesson. One ill turn deserves another..." ...And it will be pleasant to think of that and set it against my injuries

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 11:12am

Post #4 of 49 (3208 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Continued from August 28 (34 days in Mirkwood)

A Book Spoiler continuing a discussion between Saruman, Wormtongue and some hobbits in the middle of the road... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Many Partings: The Return of the King

...”'So you have come to gloat too... ...my urchins?' he said. 'You don't care what a beggar lacks, do you! For you have all you want, food and fine clothes, and the best weed for your pipes. Oh yes... ...I know where it comes from. You would not give a pipeful to a beggar, would you!'
...'I would, if I had any,' said Frodo.
...'You can have what I have got left,' said Merry... ...he handed to Saruman a leather pouch. 'Take what there is... ...You are welcome to it; it came from the flotsam of Isengard.'
...'Mine, mine, yes and dearly bought!' cried Saruman, clutching at the pouch... '...a beggar must be grateful, if a thief returns him even a morsel of his own. Well, it will serve you right when you come home, if you find things less good in the Southfarthing than you would like. Long may your land be short of leaf!'
...'Thank you!' said Merry. 'In that case I will have my pouch back, which is not yours and has journeyed far with me. Wrap the weed in a rag of your own.'
...'One thief deserves another,' said Saruman, and turned his back on Merry... ...and went away towards the wood.
...'Well, I like that!' said Pippin. 'Thief indeed! What of our claim for waylaying, wounding, and orc-dragging us through Rohan?'
...'Ah!' said Sam. 'And "bought" he said. How, I wonder! And I didn't like the sound of what he said about the Southfarthing. It's time we got back.'
...'I'm sure it is,' said Frodo. 'But we can't go any quicker, if we are to see Bilbo. I am going to Rivendell first, whatever happens.'
...'Yes, I think you had better do that... ...But alas for Saruman! I fear nothing more can be made of him. He has withered altogether. All the same, I am not sure that Treebeard is right: I fancy he could do some mischief still in a small mean way.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30 2014, 11:54am

Post #5 of 49 (3213 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 30, 2941 (S.R. 1341) (ish)
1. Gandalf rides to a meeting.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...It's been a full month since leaving Bilbo and the Dwarves at the edge of Mirkwood Forest, and Gandalf's thoughts never left them. For days while he was racing south he was anxious and felt the call to turn back, but his first pledge had been made long before finding Thorin at the Prancing Pony and arranging the Quest. Now he felt sure they weren't in any immediate danger, and so his attention was turned to the task at hand as he kept an ear open for news from the north.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31 2014, 11:30pm

Post #6 of 49 (3185 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

T'is a Book Spoiler of the rampage of Smaug and how it began... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... Darkness grew deeper and [Bilbo] grew ever more uneasy. "Shut the door!" he begged them. "I fear that dragon in my marrow. I like this silence far less than the uproar of last night. Shut the door before it is too late!"
... Something in his voice gave the dwarves an uncomfortable feeling.... ...Thorin... ...kicked away the stone that wedged the door. Then they thrust upon it, and it closed with a snap and a clang. No trace of a keyhole was there left on the inside... ...They had hardly gone any distance down the tunnel when a blow smote the side of the Mountain like the crash of battering-rams made of forest oaks and swung by giants. The rock boomed, the walls cracked and stones fell from the roof on their heads. What would have happened if the door had still been open I don't like to think... ... behind them outside they heard the roar and rumble of Smaug's fury... ... ...Smaug had left his lair in silent stealth, quietly soared into the air, and then floated heavy and slow in the dark like a monstrous crow, down the wind towards the west of the Mountain, in the hopes of catching unawares something or somebody there... ...spying the outlet to the passage which the thief had used. This was the outburst of his wrath when he could find nobody and see nothing, even where he guessed the outlet must actually be."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2014, 11:55am

Post #7 of 49 (3193 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

September 1, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The Shire thrives.
..."Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvellous year. Not only was there wonderful sunshine and delicious rain, in due times and perfect measure, but there seemed something more: an air of richness and growth, and a gleam of a beauty beyond that of mortal summers that flicker and pass upon this Middle-earth. All the children born or begotten in that year... ...were fair to see and strong, and most of them had a rich golden hair that had before been rare among hobbits. The fruit was so plentiful that young hobbits very nearly bathed in strawberries and cream; and later they sat on the lawns under the plum-trees and ate, until they had made piles of stones like small pyramids or the heaped skulls of a conqueror... ...And no one was ill, and everyone was pleased, except those who had to mow the grass." in that year, and there were many, were fair to see and strong, and most of them had a rich golden hair that had before been rare among hobbits. The fruit was so plentiful that young hobbits very nearly bathed in strawberries and cream... ...they sat on the lawns under the plum-trees and ate, until they had make piles of stones like small pyramids or the heaped skulls of a conqueror, and then they moved on. And no one was ill, and everyone was pleased, except those who had to mow the grass."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 1 2014, 1:44pm

Post #8 of 49 (3181 views)
Shortcut
Yes, we do read and enjoy your "TIME" posts - but [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe this is redundant.... thought you'd like to know. Smile

In Reply To
were fair to see and strong, and most of them had a rich golden hair that had before been rare among hobbits. The fruit was so plentiful that young hobbits very nearly bathed in strawberries and cream... ...they sat on the lawns under the plum-trees and ate, until they had make piles of stones like small pyramids or the heaped skulls of a conqueror, and then they moved on. And no one was ill, and everyone was pleased, except those who had to mow the grass."

Cheers, BG

"...or ever still a herald on
an errand that should never rest
to bear his shining lamp afar,
the Flammifer of Westernesse."

-Bilbo Baggins

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 1 2014, 2:39pm

Post #9 of 49 (3177 views)
Shortcut
It's a shame that nothing ever happens in Middle-earth on my birthday. [In reply to] Can't Post

The sad fact is that my birthday gets lost between August 30 and September 1.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 1 2014, 3:30pm

Post #10 of 49 (3170 views)
Shortcut
Happy belated birthday! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 1 2014, 5:06pm

Post #11 of 49 (3171 views)
Shortcut
A very merry un-birthday to you // [In reply to] Can't Post

-Bilbo Baggins

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 1 2014, 8:39pm

Post #12 of 49 (3172 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, all. [In reply to] Can't Post

A merry un-birthday to everyone!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2014, 10:46am

Post #13 of 49 (3177 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

Today in Middle-earth... On this day in 1973 we lost our Good Professor. I'd like to offer this in memory and honour of him and his Lúthien.

September 2, 1973
From Of Beren and Lúthien: The Silmarillion
..."Now Beren and Lúthien Tinúviel went free again and together walked through the woods renewing for a time their joy; and though winter came it hurt them not, for flowers lingered where Lúthien went, and the birds sang beneath the snowclad hills."

From Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad: The Silmarillion
..."It is said that Beren and Lúthien returned to the northern lands of Middle-earth, and dwelt together for a time as living man and woman; and they took up again their mortal form in Doriath. Those that saw them were both glad and fearful; and Lúthien went to Menegroth and healed the winter of Thingol with the touch of her hand. But Melian looked in her eyes and read the doom that was written there... ...she knew that a parting beyond the end of the world had come between them, and no grief of loss has been heavier than the grief of Melian the Maia in that hour. Then Beren and Lúthien went forth alone, fearing neither thirst nor hunger; and they passed beyond the River Gelion into Ossiriand, and dwelt there in Tol Galen the green isle... ...until all tidings of them ceased. The Eldar afterwards called that country Dor Firn-i-Guinar, and the Land of the Dead that Live; and there was born Dior Aranel the beautiful, who was after known as Dior Eluchíl, which is Thingol's Heir. No mortal man spoke ever again with Beren son of Barahir; and none saw Beren or Lúthien leave the world, or marked where at last their bodies lay."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2014, 10:50am

Post #14 of 49 (3158 views)
Shortcut
Yes :} [In reply to] Can't Post

I caught that as I posted it. So I've gone back to where I used a portion of this in June and changed things up a bit. THANKS! I sincerely do appreciate a fresh pair of eyes on these!!!! *bows deeply* ;D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2014, 10:52am

Post #15 of 49 (3163 views)
Shortcut
That's not fair! Happy Birthday :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it was action packed and FUN! Cheers!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 2 2014, 3:41pm

Post #16 of 49 (3153 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not action-packed, but fun enough. My wife took me out for dinner.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3 2014, 9:52am

Post #17 of 49 (3148 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

September 3, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. September in Hobbiton.
..."...it was understood that something quite exceptional was being planned for that autumn. Bilbo was going to be eleventy-one, 111, a rather curious number, and a very respectable age for a hobbit... ...and Frodo was going to be thirty-three, 33, an important number: the date of his 'coming of age'.
...Tongues began to wag in Hobbiton and Bywater; and rumour of the coming event travelled all over the Shire. The history and character of Mr. Bilbo Baggins became once again the chief topic of conversation; and the older folk suddenly found their reminiscences in welcome demand.
...No one had a more attentive audience than old Ham Gamgee, commonly known as the Gaffer.... ...he spoke with some authority, for he had tended the garden at Bag End for forty years, and had helped old Holman in the same job before that. Now that he was himself growing old and stiff in the joints, the job was mainly carried on by his youngest son, Sam Gamgee. Both father and son were on very friendly terms with Bilbo and Frodo. They lived on the Hill itself, in Number 3 Bagshot Row just below Bag End.
...'A very nice well-spoken gentlehobbit is Mr. Bilbo, as I've always said,' the Gaffer declared. With perfect truth: for Bilbo was very polite to him, calling him 'Master Hamfast', and consulting him constantly upon the growing of vegetables—in the matter of 'roots', especially potatoes, the Gaffer was recognized as the leading authority by all in the neighbourhood (including himself).
...'But what about this Frodo that lives with him?' asked Old Noakes of Bywater. 'Baggins is his name, but he's more than half a Brandybuck... ...left an orphan and stranded, as you might say, among those queer Bucklanders. Being brought up anyhow in Brandy Hall. A regular warren, by all accounts. Old Master Gorbadoc never had fewer than a couple of hundred relations in the place. Mr. Bilbo never did a kinder deed than when he brought the lad back to live among decent folk...
...'...they do things proper at Bag End. [says the Gaffer] Our Sam says that everyone's going to be invited to the party, and there's going to be presents, mark you, presents for all--this very month as is.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2014, 10:21am

Post #18 of 49 (3148 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit has so many references relating Bilbo to a rabbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and now here's one regarding Frodo: being brought up in a "regular warren"! Laugh

I appreciate how the two palindromic ages, 111 and 33, add up to another number of interest, 144, and thereby set the stage for a really bad joke later on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 3 2014, 2:54pm

Post #19 of 49 (3137 views)
Shortcut
dernwyn, do we need to get gross! I thought it a good joke :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

-Bilbo Baggins

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2014, 4:13pm

Post #20 of 49 (3149 views)
Shortcut
WE do - but the objects of it do not, LOL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2014, 4:22pm

Post #21 of 49 (3125 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 4, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. Party rumours start.
..."...a rumour (probably started by the knowledgeable Sam) was spread about that there were going to be fireworks--fireworks, what is more, such as had not been seen in the Shire for nigh on a century, not indeed since the Old Took died."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2014, 4:30pm

Post #22 of 49 (3120 views)
Shortcut
I got a TON of giggles, myself // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 4 2014, 5:47pm

Post #23 of 49 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Sept. 4, was a relaxing day in the Shire .. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
September 4, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
..."...a rumour (probably started by the knowledgeable Sam) was spread about that there were going to be fireworks--fireworks, what is more, such as had not been seen in the Shire for nigh on a century, not indeed since the Old Took died."

I have occasionally wondered about the professor’s use of punctuation. This is an example that I find his use of commas unusual. Although, yes, the sentence is clear, but would not
there were going to be fireworks—fireworks! What is more such as not been seen in the Shire . . .
(Adding an exclamation point and deleting a comma) be more pleasing?

Just wondering what others may think of this.
I’m not a writer and perhaps am I being overly persnickety?

-Bilbo Baggins

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 5 2014, 12:02pm

Post #24 of 49 (3118 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

September 5, 2941 (S.R. 1401)
1. Gandalf at the White Council.
... "In the late summer... ...Gandalf had at last prevailed upon Saruman and the White Council to attack Dol Guldur, and Sauron retreated and went to Mordor, there to be secure, as he thought, from all his enemies. So it was that when the War came at last the main assault was turned southwards..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 5 2014, 12:06pm

Post #25 of 49 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Oh... I'm always [In reply to] Can't Post

taking note of the Professor's use of punctuation... and I'm CONSTANTLY challenged by it myself ;) I read once that he was questioned about this by the publishers, and he basically said he's writing it the way he wanted it, so leave it alone!!

PERIOD. FULL STOP! ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.