The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Possibly the best Biology seminar ever?

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2014, 9:45am

Post #1 of 19 (1900 views)
Shortcut
Possibly the best Biology seminar ever? Can't Post

This is a seminar being given soon at a local university. I suspect this one's worth going to! So, form good hobbits by reading Tolkien, and you just might find yourself turning into a good biologist! I like the connection. Smile

There and back again: Drowning, dispersal, vicariance and the shaping of the New Zealand biota
Abstract: The biogeography of New Zealand is currently the subject of much heat and light as the relative roles of vicariance and long distance dispersal are assessed in the light of new fossils and molecular data. I examine the origin of modern lineages in New Zealand. In passing, I also discuss how reading Tolkien may be excellent preparation, and form good hobbits, for budding evolutionary biologists and biogeographers.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 22 2014, 1:15pm

Post #2 of 19 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Love this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you're going to attend and give us a full report!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 23 2014, 12:06am

Post #3 of 19 (1702 views)
Shortcut
A geek twice over. [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like a course that shouldn't be missed!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2014, 9:10am

Post #4 of 19 (1677 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was planning on staying home that day but I just might have to give that up and go see this. Seems too good to miss! As a Tolkien-geeky biologist, I feel rather obligated to support kindred spirits. After all, the recent exam I gave did have a question on the phylogeny of taxa in Middle-earth.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 11:43pm

Post #5 of 19 (1645 views)
Shortcut
Awesome. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 24 2014, 4:14am

Post #6 of 19 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Would you post that question here? [In reply to] Can't Post

And any answers that tickled your Tolkien bone?

(It's good to see you here Ro.) :)

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 6:16am

Post #7 of 19 (1654 views)
Shortcut
So how was the lecture? [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds very interesting Smile

Though I will admit that I didn't understand all of the title Blush My interest in biological sciences has leaned more toward human biology than animal, I'm afraid Evil Especially given that I was pursuing nursing/biology with pre-med option before health issues took over and made it impossible....but it does sound quite interesting.

And it would be interesting to note the differences between NZ biological ecosystems and American ones- we often tend to focus more on the biology of our own country's animals and systems and not realize how diverse across the world they can be Smile

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2014, 11:27am

Post #8 of 19 (1644 views)
Shortcut
Okay, you asked for it. [In reply to] Can't Post

The table pasted below the question looks fine to me so hopefully it comes out ok for anyone else silly enough to read this post! Tongue Yes, I realize perfectly well that a number of my character traits are debatable -- can Hobbits and Elves really do magic? Do Ents and Orcs really lack haemoglobin? But for the sake of doing the question, you just have to go with the traits as given.

Construct a phylogenetic tree of taxa living in Middle-earth using the chart below, with dragons as the outgroup.

(This post was edited by Roheryn on Aug 24 2014, 11:34am)

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2014, 11:55am

Post #9 of 19 (1632 views)
Shortcut
It's not til the end of the week. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Really not a good day for me to go, but I may just have to put on my big-girl undies and go anyways.

Biological diversity across the world really is amazing. I just learned, for instance, that there are beavers in China. Apparently. I had no idea! I may have to independently verify that, but my four Chinese students said so.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 24 2014, 2:52pm

Post #10 of 19 (1634 views)
Shortcut
No Dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's racist! Evil Might I suggest:

Taxon - Dwarves:
Hemoglobin in blood: Yes
Immortal: No
Can do magic: Yes
Breathes fire: No
Has hair: Yes
Pointy ears: No

Oh, and while Orcs do not have hemoglobin in their blood, it does contain hemogoblin!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 24 2014, 2:59pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 5:01pm

Post #11 of 19 (1621 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Otaku-sempai [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the dwarves can do magic, as evidenced by their hidden doors (especially the secret door into the Lonely Mountain).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hemoglobin is the amount of iron measured in the blood and helps aid in the formation of red blood cells (I struggle with anemia from time to time) therefore you are correct in saying that Orcs wouldn't have hemoglobin specifically because their blood isn't red, and iron is what gives human and some animal blood the red color? Smile

Therefore, whatever element aids in orc blood cell creation has to result in the orc's blood being black in color, which precludes iron as a possibility, therefore eliminating the presence of hemoglobin Smile As to what that element is, however, I have no idea Evil

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 24 2014, 7:28pm

Post #12 of 19 (1617 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't know where to even start with that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope your students appreciated a moment of quirk within the exam. :)

Ataahua's stories

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2014, 8:47pm

Post #13 of 19 (1611 views)
Shortcut
Dragons. It all starts with dragons. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dragons as an outgroup suggests that everything else evolved from an ancestor of dragons. Yeah, I know, bit of a stretch, but maybe in an alternate Middle-earth universe, primordial dragon-fire breathed life into new species. Maybe?

Moments of quirk typically go straight over my students' heads. I've got international, non-native-English-speakers right now, and most jokes and quirks are hopeless (which is not to suggest my jokes would have hope with native English speakers). Last semester (with a large class of mainstream university students) I worked Sherlock into a number of lectures -- my favourite was when I was explaining paedomorphosis (sexually mature but retaining juvenile characteristics) and I put up the picture below. And NO ONE laughed. I, on the other hand, thought it was a hilarious way to explain the concept!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2014, 9:00pm

Post #14 of 19 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Hemogoblin! *snert* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to remember that one. Tongue

Unfortunately your list of Dwarvish traits leaves them phylogenetically indistinguishable from Wizards, creating a polytomy. To resolve the polytomy, we'd need to add another trait that distinguishes Dwarves. Hmmmm. Hairy braided moustaches, perhaps? Only then they'd be the most highly evolved taxon, and I expect a few people would argue with that.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 24 2014, 9:12pm

Post #15 of 19 (1613 views)
Shortcut
How 'bout... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Unfortunately your list of Dwarvish traits leaves them phylogenetically indistinguishable from Wizards, creating a polytomy. To resolve the polytomy, we'd need to add another trait that distinguishes Dwarves. Hmmmm. Hairy braided moustaches, perhaps? Only then they'd be the most highly evolved taxon, and I expect a few people would argue with that.

...both genders sport facial hair?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 24 2014, 10:29pm

Post #16 of 19 (1611 views)
Shortcut
I thought university enhanced mad humour, [In reply to] Can't Post

not excised it. How could anyone *not* snicker at that image?

I worry for the younger generation, truly.

Cool

Ataahua's stories

Kim
Valinor

Aug 25 2014, 1:38am

Post #17 of 19 (1611 views)
Shortcut
I see no problem with that [In reply to] Can't Post

Only then they'd be the most highly evolved taxon...

Sounds about right to me - after all, they do include the most #majestic being in existence in Middle-earth! Wink

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 26 2014, 3:00am

Post #18 of 19 (1596 views)
Shortcut
Maybe think about this aspect of Dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

Through Macrobiotics, Bomby learned
many things about Diet & physical characteristics

As mankind evolved from Apes & maybe some
Neanderthal Blood mixed in?
"Less Hair".

Also, women Humans are more
complex & More evolved than men. Therefore
no beards

Diet of much Red Meat like the Dwarves crave
MORE hair? (including their women.)

Hair is excess protein

"Mostly Vegetarian" (with Fish included)
like Elrond's & Thanduiel's Elves, No beards?

You may want to google "macrobiotics"

Bomby studied Macrobiotic Cooking after school in College,
& at 64 is pretty hairless & thin...

No health issues, No prescription Drugs
No hard liquor, Only 3.2 beer, mixed
w/ Spicy V8 juice...about 50/50?

The last time Bomby took even an aspirin?...about 3 years ago.
RED Salmon, Yellow Tuna steaks, a few eggs... during any week

Can't remember the last time ...when I ate a Hamburger.
(Couldn't finish it?)

Lao Tsu said thousands of years ago
"Great Men, Eat simple..."

Bomby intends to match his Mom & Dad
Dad passed @ 91 & Mom will be 95
right after Christmas
this year?

Macrobiotics understands...

" The Order of the Universe"

After studying Macrobiotics
ALL of the food guidelines from
Health Research Institutions?
is fully in line with "macrobiotic thinking"

...that Bomby has noticed over 42 years of reading about...
Healthy Eating Habits...

get "The Kitchen Table Book" from FC&A Medical Publishing?
for about $6 from Amazon...
(Which is about the Price of a "Happy Meal")

Keep it your Kitchen,
your Family will get healthier each & day?

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2014, 9:24am

Post #19 of 19 (1617 views)
Shortcut
Where do I sight up?! ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.