Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What is your opinion on the Dwarves not being on foot in the movie.?

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Aug 23 2014, 8:45pm

Post #1 of 21 (1449 views)
Shortcut
What is your opinion on the Dwarves not being on foot in the movie.? Can't Post

Do you think its a missed oppurtunity for a more Badass introduction to these Hardened warriors who do not fatigue through rain,sleet or snow,? Or do you think it necessary>?Wink

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 23 2014, 8:49pm

Post #2 of 21 (964 views)
Shortcut
Honestly I think it is realistic to expect them to take horses [In reply to] Can't Post

After all I never thought them walking the whole time in the book made sense.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2014, 8:52pm

Post #3 of 21 (942 views)
Shortcut
Looks like a visually striking image. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which will certainly be memorable and unique.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 23 2014, 9:44pm

Post #4 of 21 (893 views)
Shortcut
It's quite possible that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

not all of the dwarves are mounted; the dwarves may have an army of footsoldiers as well as a cavalry division. After all, we're pretty sure to have both footsoldier orcs and warg-riders. Why not have the equivalent on the dwarven side as well?

...Unless they're planning to have Dain's army function as the dwarven equivalent of Rohan during the battle, and have the cavalry charge in to save the day. I don't think anyone considered the Charge of the Light Brigade Rohirrim as being somehow less "badass" than the footsoldiers of Gondor because they rode to get there, do you? And we will have the armies of Men and Elves (unless they all arrive on giant elk) fighting on foot already.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 9:57pm

Post #5 of 21 (851 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean the original company in AUJ or the army in TBOTFA? // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Aug 23 2014, 9:58pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 10:06pm

Post #6 of 21 (839 views)
Shortcut
It's very hard to have an opinion on something we haven't seen // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 23 2014, 10:30pm

Post #7 of 21 (877 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves and horses don't seem to get along. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Honestly I think it is realistic to expect them to take horses After all I never thought them walking the whole time in the book made sense.

Well, the Dwarves are supposed to be exceptionally durable. Ponies are more suited to pulling mining carts than for battle-mounts. The combination of rams and boars isn't too bad an idea, except that Dwarves are supposed to be more used to fighting underground than in an open battlefield.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2014, 10:55pm

Post #8 of 21 (853 views)
Shortcut
Actually, now that I think about it... [In reply to] Can't Post

It probably wouldn't be all that easy to:
A Have the dwarves arrive with any surprise and also show that they had walked a long way
Or
B To show them walking a long way in a visually dramatic way whilst also showing they weren't tired

It probably doesn't lend itself to film in quite the same way.

Snowghost77
Lorien

Aug 24 2014, 12:36am

Post #9 of 21 (821 views)
Shortcut
I like the fact that they arrive in force with cavalry. ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes for a great clash of forces, plus once the sides collide, many will be "de-ramed" or whatever, and we will see our fill of dwarven infantry slaughtering orcs and wargs. I like to think we are fortunate to get the best of both mounted and dismounted dwarven ops.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 5:56am

Post #10 of 21 (801 views)
Shortcut
but if that was the case then why [In reply to] Can't Post

would the company have been mounted on ponies throughout the beginning of the book? If they were foot hardy and so determined to be so, then why not just take one pony with a pack (or maybe two- we know how much they love to eat lol Wink) and lead them on halters?

Tolkien specifically mentioned them traveling across most of Middle-earth with ponies- even though they weren't pursued by foul creatures until after they got captured in Goblin Town (unless you count the trolls, but that wasn't really pursuit just an unfortunate and rather embarrassing run-in). So the goblins ate the first round of ponies, the second were Beorn's and were returned prior to Mirkwood, and the third set were from Laketown, and were eaten by Smaug.

So unless there are ONLY 42 ponies in all of Middle-earth at the time, it makes sense to me to not have every single dwarf in Dain's army on foot. Especially if they had to make speed after learning their cousin was in a siege situation. But I can see what others have mentioned above, and I agree- perhaps there was a majority of foot soldiers, but there's also the possibility that some were mounted as well- a good army relies on more than just infantry to win a battle. You need archers for long distance, you need strong spearmen against mounted foes, strong swordsmen/axemen to take care of infantry work, and yes some mounts, while not 100% necessary, can improve odds in your favor, especially if your opponent is mounted as well (infantry against mounts=mounts will win every time even if losses are sustained in the process).

Or perhaps maybe all the ponies went on strike after hearing the news about their ill-fated cousins, because it certainly seems that being a dwarf pony in the Hobbit is the equivalent of being a red shirt in Star Trek Tongue

Noria
Gondor

Aug 24 2014, 12:38pm

Post #11 of 21 (730 views)
Shortcut
I think it doesn't get much more badass than armoured Dwarves roaring in on armoured rams. [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s a great visual image, IMO, and I’ll see how it works in the story before I decide if I like it.

With Azog, Bolg and their guys sometimes mounted on wargs, it makes sense for at least some of the Dwarves to be mounted as well, on something that looks like it possibly has a chance of surviving the encounter. We already saw how Thorin did against Azog and his warg in AUJ. Wink

The charge of the Rohirrim on the fields of the Pelennor is one of my favorite moments of the RotK movie. I don’t expect Dain’s charge (if that’s what it is) to be as great but it looks good to me.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 24 2014, 2:12pm

Post #12 of 21 (727 views)
Shortcut
Ponies are not warhorses [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
would the company have been mounted on ponies throughout the beginning of the book? If they were foot hardy and so determined to be so, then why not just take one pony with a pack (or maybe two- we know how much they love to eat lol Wink) and lead them on halters?

Using ponies for pack animals and travel-mounts is one thing. Using them as war-mounts is completely different. Personally, I don't think that the Dwarves should be using cavalry at all, in the sense of fighting while mounted. The purpose of the rams should be to get them to the Mountain on time; the Dwarves ought to be fighting on foot. That is what we saw at Azanulbizar and those are the tactics we are told of in the book. However, that now seems to be out of the window.

I would make sense to have ponies, rams or other beasts pulling wagons in a supply train.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 24 2014, 2:15pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 5:03pm

Post #13 of 21 (684 views)
Shortcut
believe me, I wasn't saying they were warhorses! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah- a dwarf riding valiantly into battle on his trusty steed- the finest war ponies ever to be seen.....NOPE lol Tongue

I was thinking more of the ponies as being a quick mode of transportation from the Iron Hills to Erebor, in accordance with the dwarves utilizing them as travel beasts of burden everywhere else in the story, not them being used in the actual battle itself Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 24 2014, 9:10pm

Post #14 of 21 (669 views)
Shortcut
Per'aps the rams are an Iron Hills thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be a local tradition of the Iron Hills Dwarves to use rams as mounts and beasts of burden, although it is the boar that is associated with Dain's folk on the Lake-town tapestry.

Retro315
Rivendell

Aug 25 2014, 12:09am

Post #15 of 21 (642 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

Part and parcel of Dain's timely arrival is that he needs to make haste to get to the Lonely Mountain. It makes sense that they'd take as much cavalry as they can - though Dwarf riders aren't quite the same thing as the kind of cavalry Rohan provides later.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 25 2014, 12:17am

Post #16 of 21 (636 views)
Shortcut
O-s...YOU ALWAYS have something Logical to say!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you teach "Logic" @ the College Level..

You have impressed many if not most here
for years!

YEA! O-s....!

bomby
BOWS... to your Logic...
ARE you PART..."Vulcan"?

Cool

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 25 2014, 1:01am

Post #17 of 21 (634 views)
Shortcut
that might be due [In reply to] Can't Post

to the type of terrain that the Iron Hills dwarves live in.

Ponies could easily be available and utilized by those living in Ered Luin because of their proximity to the Shire, which was very feasible for ponies. The rams may well be more viable in the Iron Hills than ponies (or perhaps they handle the winter terrain a bit better due to the design of their hooves).

There were also rams on the tapestry as well- I believe someone mentioned that they were located near Oin/Gloin/Balin/Dwalin side of the tree, but I don't remember exactly for sure. You can probably look up a screen shot or book picture copy of the tapestry online though Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 25 2014, 1:17pm

Post #18 of 21 (591 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Bomby. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Do you teach "Logic" @ the College Level..

Nope. That's just the way my mind works. I've been a science-fiction reader since I was a nipper; growing up in the '60s also made me a Star Trek fan. Add to that being an admirer of Arthur Conan Doyle's Great Detective and there you are.

Live long and prosper, Watson!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 25 2014, 1:40pm

Post #19 of 21 (592 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there is a ram on the tapestry [In reply to] Can't Post

And you remember right; it is on the right side, associated with the Line of Borin (which includes Balin, Dwalin, Oin and Gloin). The runes under the boar say "Iron Hills". Those accompanying the ram translate to "Ered Mithrin," connecting Borin's Folk with the Grey Mountains.

Rickster
Rohan

Aug 25 2014, 6:44pm

Post #20 of 21 (596 views)
Shortcut
super [In reply to] Can't Post

we think it is great this way
we will all love it

Fichtenbrenner
Bree

Aug 27 2014, 2:25pm

Post #21 of 21 (546 views)
Shortcut
Im ok with it [In reply to] Can't Post

So far nobody knows, if all these dwarfs are mounted, maybe there a foot soldiers, too. And maybe they dismount during battle.

Rams ramming wargs will probably look "badass" enogh. Cool Maybe some people don't like them as it looks like Peter Jackson got the idea of dwarfs riding on rams from WoW and lotro.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.