Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part X
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 7:16am

Post #126 of 207 (8906 views)
Shortcut
     PS2: More Joe Pretty! [In reply to]  

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback by Kerewyn, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

VValar
Gondor

Aug 23 2014, 8:30am

Post #127 of 207 (8914 views)
Shortcut
     Nooooo you're just so evil [In reply to]  

I really cannot function or focus the way that I know I should when you keep posting these photo's unawares. It's like my state of mind goes into an error for 2 sec before it starts to work properly again.
I blame you Lurker for putting those images in my head (I purposely don't search for any LP photo's on the net) and I blame LP for being the way he is and being absolutely gorgeous Heart

VValar
Gondor

Aug 23 2014, 8:38am

Post #128 of 207 (8927 views)
Shortcut
     LOL that poor stag [In reply to]  

LOL where did you find this?
It does explain for his mighty throne.

In Reply To

And thank you for explaining the rightful definition of Thranuilitis. Psssst have you heard of Thranduiling yet?
http://31.media.tumblr.com/...5Gu1qig04po1_400.jpg

VValar
Gondor

Aug 23 2014, 8:50am

Post #129 of 207 (8972 views)
Shortcut
     Wanna hear a fact? [In reply to]  

Also known as a hot tub. You know what a hot tub is? It's a regular tub but with Thranduil in it *taa daa duuummm*

Just a random pic

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 2:56pm

Post #130 of 207 (8882 views)
Shortcut
     Who me? [In reply to]  

Angelic btw, those pics are clickable. I link back to source whenever possible for the pleasurable hit of being hit in the face with the hi res originalsHeart

You can thank me later Sly

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A tag-team fanfic with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 3:03pm

Post #131 of 207 (8878 views)
Shortcut
     Prolly an older moose that's passed on [In reply to]  

cos not likely Bubba live as long as the Elves (eh, think this was also something touched in the older threads). And Thranduil clearly loves his War-Elks - keeping and using their antlers for all his deco needs Sly

Found the image just trawling Google Images. I think I used "Thranduil Elk" as the search string. btw, it's a clicky.Smile

And thank you for explaining the rightful definition of Thranuilitis. Psssst have you heard of Thranduiling yet?
http://31.media.tumblr.com/...5Gu1qig04po1_400.jpg

You're welcome! Always glad to help. Thranduilitis is dominantly prevalent on the TA threads though whether the relationship is causal or casual prolly needs a proper studyTongue As you can see, a suitable sample size is not available thanks to the silent thread visitor phenomenon.

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A tag-team fanfic with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 3:09pm

Post #132 of 207 (8875 views)
Shortcut
     Michael Martinez's thoughts on Thranduil's bling [In reply to]  

So it seems the well known scholar got a question about Thranduil's bling. Here's the article.

I still like our Theory of Bling discussions much better. Eh original post here for ref. More fun!

[article spoiler]

meh of course dude likes his blingHeartAngelicSly how about having some fun speculating what POSSIBLE other reasons besides just "dude likes his bling" FrownTongue
[article spoiler end]

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Aug 23 2014, 3:23pm)

VValar
Gondor

Aug 23 2014, 4:50pm

Post #133 of 207 (8862 views)
Shortcut
     Whoa surprise surprise [In reply to]  

Oh god that scared me (in a good way)! Was not expecting them to be clicky's *SQUEEEE*
Wow he looks so much like Thranduil in that first pic, same look I would picture Thrandy to have.

Only without those beautiful blue eyes

VValar
Gondor

Aug 23 2014, 5:08pm

Post #134 of 207 (8853 views)
Shortcut
     Theory of the Bling [In reply to]  

Thanks for posting the article. I read it (and re-wachted the epic Thranduil/Thorin dialogue) but that's a lame-ass conclusion the author gives at the end *lol*
Wasn't it LP saying that the rings each had a meaning of their own (although he didn't specify exactly what they stood for).

The only ring I don't really like is with that huge stone on it, it's a bit over the top for me (but of course his Highness wears it with such class, the ring doen's wear Thranduil - Thranduil wears and totaly rocks the ring of course).
The golden snakes are intriguing but I like the two Mirkwood rings on his right hand best. They look complicated and tall and I would love to hear the story behind those two. But for now all we can do is speculate.

Woops Thranduil, where is your bling now? I believe he takes them off right before he goes to bed.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2014, 5:17pm

Post #135 of 207 (8871 views)
Shortcut
     We're having another twinsies moment [In reply to]  

So cool that you're having funSmile Wow crochet huh? Except for the simple craft stuff in school (once upon a time) I can't crochet for my life. Maybe cos I'm a leftie, it just takes a bit too much focus for me to inverse the directions, and my right hand's totally useless - though I am quite proud that I don't need concessions to be made for me (I use right-hand mouse and don't need left-hand scissors). But crochet? I'll just buy the darned thing Tongue

I'm a leftie too!Smile I write and crochet left handed, but like you, I use a right-hand mouse and I don't need left-hand scissors.

Yeah, I totally hear you on the challenge of trying to inverse the directions. It was especially challenging for me when I was first learning to crochet because I taught myself using instructional CDs that only had right-handed people doing the videos. But I seem to have a knack for hands-on crafts so I got it eventually. I still have problems with some written instructions too. I have to remember that anything I make is going to be like a "mirror image" of the project in the picture, so for example, when I work the instructions for what the pattern is calling the right side of a sweater, it's going to be the left side of the sweater for me and vice versa.

Lol, I'm opposite from you when it comes to buying things though. I've been known to pass by crochet items in the store if I think I can make something similar myself.Wink

Btw, my crochet flower crown is now posted and I'm posting my next bingo pic as soon as I finish this post.Smile

Re my reading... now that I'm ready, my book is misplaced... I'm feeling like Boromir turning stuff over looking for Frodo at the Rauros now Frown

Awww, that's to bad!Frown I hope you find it soon! It looks like we only have to read one chapter this week so it would be a great time for catching up.

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

VValar
Gondor

Aug 23 2014, 7:54pm

Post #136 of 207 (8831 views)
Shortcut
     Seems hard [In reply to]  

I totally had to google crochet because I had no idea what that is Evil I only looked at the pictures, and maybe this is a very dumb question to ask from someone who knows absolutely nothing about it. But is it the same as knitting?
It looks like something for which one must possess the patience and refined skills to be able to do that. I lack on both of them, I would probably suck at it big time. So kuddos for you for being able to create wonderful things with it!

(This post was edited by VValar on Aug 23 2014, 7:55pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 24 2014, 12:31am

Post #137 of 207 (8841 views)
Shortcut
     *wanders in* I just posted a link... [In reply to]  

...over on this thread on Off Topic

...which might be of some small interest to you all...

*walks away whistling innocently*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 24 2014, 2:11am

Post #138 of 207 (8844 views)
Shortcut
     Awww, Lurker [In reply to]  

That's so sweet of you!

I was all on my lonesome, getting over my rotten cold and sinus issues - I even had an eye infection and couldn't see properly, and no one to look after me... and now you've sent some gorgeous EI pics, I can imagine LP and TH delivering hot soup and shoulder rubs, am feeling immediately better.

Heart so much!

I have now embarked on reading your epic TW5, and OMG what an epic! Will respond over on the thread when done. Cool

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 24 2014, 2:13am

Post #139 of 207 (8795 views)
Shortcut
     Some image responses [In reply to]  

Ooh, is that Harry Lloyd as Oropher?? How ideal – I remember noting his elven features when saw him on GoT. He has quite the tumblr following too, I note.

I am also liking the fan art of Glorfindel earlier in this thread. Though I can’t see Sandro Kopp (the coronation elf) in that role. I mean, I can see him in it, I just have a different face in my mind’s eye, and can’t put a name to it, yet…

VValar, I totally adore that “I have a Jacuzzi” pic! It just so suits his expression somehow. LaughLaugh

Also,

Damn you for posting those gorgeous pics of LP. I only had a character crush when I first joined this thread, but if you keep this up I will develop an online real life actor crush as well

Always goes together for me. Crush on character = crush on actor, and vice versa. It’s the main mathematical equation of my life.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 24 2014, 2:38am

Post #140 of 207 (8839 views)
Shortcut
     Stuff I'm doing... [In reply to]  

I’m going to this! http://www.acmi.net.au/...ting-for-the-hobbit/
A decade ago, the much loved, panoramic fantasy world of Lord of the Rings was brought to the screen in Peter Jackson’s phenomenally successful trilogy of films. Released over a period of three years, the films were offered up to a demanding but desperately hopeful international fandom.

Presenting great challenges to audience researchers, who observed audiences in over 18 countries, the trilogy presented a fascinating insight into what the public expected from the filmic adaptations, and what they got – including some complete surprises.

With the release of The Hobbit in 2014, researchers are again testing the engagement between audience expectation and film experience, and exploring the questions they weren’t able to answer the first time around.

Find out what you expect from Peter Jackson’s Middle Earth, and what adventures the films provide, with a fascinating talk on audience engagement by Visiting Professor of Deakin University Martin Barker.

May not learn anything I don’t know already, but am interested what the good Prof has to say about the audience engagement / research angle. I wonder if we the audience will be part of some conducted research?

Reading this short discussion on the daily lives of Elves: short Goodreads discussion on the daily lives of Elves I have wondered these things.

And I bought The Hobbit DoS soundtrack! Here’s a nice page from the booklet, which is printed on lovely weighty matt paper. (I am geeky about paper quality).

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Aug 24 2014, 2:39am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 24 2014, 2:46am

Post #141 of 207 (8805 views)
Shortcut
     Legolas down under [In reply to]  

Well!
Sydney Comic Con has pulled off a last minute hat trick and scored Orlando!

Although I’ve never been the Leggy fangirl, I am *this* close to going, sheerly through association and also to curiously witness fangirl fever at its most rabid.

Regretfully and also thankfully, I have a social engagement that weekend that I‘d be loathe to miss (a much-missed friend from Tasmania is in town) Because I can't really afford to blow my carefully-managed October-holiday-savings on an airfare, hotel and entry fee.

Now if they suddenly announce Pace or Hiddleston, budget can go hang itself, and I’ll be saying sorry to my friend.
Priorities... Wink

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Aug 24 2014, 2:48am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 24 2014, 2:58am

Post #142 of 207 (8848 views)
Shortcut
     Yayyy!! The Ice Bucket reaches LP! [In reply to]  

Dernwyn thank you so much for this alert

I'll just repost it right here, and go back to watching those biceps a few more times SmileSmileSmile

LP + IceBucket = wet singlet goodness

Is that his sister? Wish we could see her face, I want to see the family likeness.

Oh, I should be kind to resident Thorin Thralls, and repost this one as well. RA ice bucket

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Aug 24 2014, 3:07am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 4:02am

Post #143 of 207 (8795 views)
Shortcut
     Yay Kerewyn! *HUGS* So glad you're better! [In reply to]  

I was all on my lonesome, getting over my rotten cold and sinus issues - I even had an eye infection and couldn't see properly, and no one to look after me... and now you've sent some gorgeous EI pics, I can imagine LP and TH delivering hot soup and shoulder rubs, am feeling immediately better.

heh, as I take care to keep feeding VValar's Thranduilitis, so will I continue to consider your convalescing needs. Cool Smile *Channelling good thrally vibes over the ether*

I'll keep adding Pretty! as I can (RL's pesky this weekend, plus I still can't find my Silm!Crazy). May not be a WW thread after all, as doing it all over the place like this is kinda rad, plus what's a URL compared to an IMAGE?Heart

I have now embarked on reading your epic TW5, and OMG what an epic! Will respond over on the thread when done. Cool

Cool! Hope it gives you lots of laughs (and stitches in a good way) and you like it as much at the end Smile Then appendices!!!HeartBlushEvil when you're up to it of course.

=======

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 24 2014, 9:47am

Post #144 of 207 (8800 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you for the hugs! [In reply to]  

*rubs hands in gleeful anticipation of Pretty*

And you know, if those two were to be in a movie together, it would probably break the internet. Wink

*goes to watch the Ice Bucket clip for about the 10th time. Way to make a girl feel better* Heart
I just love seeing LP in his natural environment here. Just hangin' out in tracky-dacks & jandals. (to use antipodean parlance) He's so utterly without pretension, pretty much any time he's being himself on camera.

By the way, the BotFA Chronicles book looks good

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Aug 24 2014, 9:55am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 10:41am

Post #145 of 207 (8780 views)
Shortcut
     Woot! I KNEW it!!! Thanks, dernwyn! [In reply to]  

And now dernwyn's posted 3 posts in TA that's not a threadlockWink

Now off to look at it and perchance to nose around for information.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 10:52am

Post #146 of 207 (8800 views)
Shortcut
     Answers to pressing questions aaaand assorted ME actors' challenge in GIFs [In reply to]  

From LP's twitter about the challenge, it was his sister (who's also on twitter - pretty blondSmile) who nom'd him! Way to go, but that's not his sister who did the honours. It's Bérénice Marlohe, that sexy Bond girl in Skyfall and his co-star in his new movie, Prisoners of War. So it seems they're on shoot right now.

And here's the challenges in GIFs:
Got to say, Gandy's prima donna is showingTongue and can't wait for Andy Serkis': reckon he'd have to have 3 buckets: Andy, Smeagol, Gollum!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 10:55am

Post #147 of 207 (8790 views)
Shortcut
     *THUD* [In reply to]  

PHWOAR! By the VALAR, VValar! You really are out to STUN

HeartHeartHeart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 10:59am

Post #148 of 207 (8785 views)
Shortcut
     Yup! [In reply to]  

LP was the one who said that.

The only ring I don't really like is with that huge stone on it, it's a bit over the top for me (but of course his Highness wears it with such class, the ring doen's wear Thranduil - Thranduil wears and totaly rocks the ring of course).

HeartHeartHeart

Woops Thranduil, where is your bling now? I believe he takes them off right before he goes to bed.

Make sense.Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 11:04am

Post #149 of 207 (8747 views)
Shortcut
     Yay! Lefties FTW. And I found my book! *phew* [In reply to]  

Lol, I'm opposite from you when it comes to buying things though. I've been known to pass by crochet items in the store if I think I can make something similar myself.Wink

Well, I can't Tongue plus there's not much call for desiring knitted stuff in this confounded swelter.Frown

And, really, you'd think I live in a ginomous mansion with 20,000 rooms. But the book was obviously unlocatable in a *admittedly messy* modest apartment where the kitties have long given up on any pretense of achieving invisibilityCrazy

ETA: Did you see the cultural difference strip I posted on the thread?

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Aug 24 2014, 11:05am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 11:06am

Post #150 of 207 (8764 views)
Shortcut
     The honest answer is IDK [In reply to]  

Ooh, is that Harry Lloyd as Oropher?? How ideal – I remember noting his elven features when saw him on GoT. He has quite the tumblr following too, I note.

There was no notes on the source tumblr.

I am also liking the fan art of Glorfindel earlier in this thread. Though I can’t see Sandro Kopp (the coronation elf) in that role. I mean, I can see him in it, I just have a different face in my mind’s eye, and can’t put a name to it, yet…

Me too!

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.