The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Reducing The Green Tint on the AUJ Blu-Ray

Faleel
Rohan

Aug 24 2014, 2:41am

Post #1 of 19 (2135 views)
Shortcut
Reducing The Green Tint on the AUJ Blu-Ray Can't Post

Like the fellowship of the ring extended edition blu-ray, the hobbit: an unexpected journey blu-ray release also had the same blanket green tint added across the whole film. Itīs easiest to see when the film title comes up against the background of the clouds. Both the title and the clouds are green on the blu-ray. I personally like my clouds and snow white rather than green though so I have gone ahead and removed the blanket green tint across the whole film.

As you can see, changing the Green spectrum from 252 to 233, and changing the blue spectrum from 232 to 231 does the trick.

Don't know if its possible to do this via TV or not though.

Source: http://originaltrilogy.com/...egraded/topic/15638/

(This post was edited by Faleel on Aug 24 2014, 2:43am)

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 24 2014, 8:18am

Post #2 of 19 (1475 views)
Shortcut
For my part... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it never had a green tint in the first place.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

glor
Rohan

Aug 24 2014, 9:07am

Post #3 of 19 (1431 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

The colour and quality of the digital video viewing experience is a lot more dependent on what you view it on and how it is set up than good old analogue and CRT. For instance computers by and large, are set up for viewing with greater contrast and colour saturation for clarity, whereas properly set up TV's and blu-ray players are calibrated and set for natural tones unless,you have a top pf the range(think silly money) computer set up, TVs are far better specced to cope with video viewing, As long as you adjust the hideous setting many TV manufacturers insist on providing out of the box (every home cinema fan/expert will strongly urge anyone to do this).

AUJ and DOS on my Panasonic TV in Blu-ray look beautiful, on my decent gaming PC they look gaudy.

(This post was edited by glor on Aug 24 2014, 9:08am)

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 24 2014, 5:42pm

Post #4 of 19 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. Where did those screenshots come from? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you take those yourself?

I just did my own test because I was curious. I compared the same frame of the AUJ blu-ray and the HD digital release in itunes, and both were identical with no green tint. Is there a particular version you're referencing?

Bofur01
Lorien

Aug 24 2014, 6:56pm

Post #5 of 19 (1290 views)
Shortcut
The whole film was tinted green, even in cinemas... [In reply to] Can't Post

This should be easy to fix with a white balance change.

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 24 2014, 7:49pm

Post #6 of 19 (1239 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're saying it was always tinted green in every format?

All I'm saying about the comparison I made, based strictly on the OP's assertion that the blu ray specifically is different and tinted green, is that there is no difference between the digital version and the blu ray version I have. And my television's green must be busted. Wink

Bofur01
Lorien

Aug 24 2014, 8:04pm

Post #7 of 19 (1216 views)
Shortcut
The clouds look pretty green in my iTunes copy... So I'd say yes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's most obvious on HD TVs because the manufacturers love to boost contrast and saturation.

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 24 2014, 8:13pm

Post #8 of 19 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously we don't have different digital copies from itunes.

So basically it's about one's television/device, and the blu-ray is not itself mastered differently with a greener tint.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 8:21pm

Post #9 of 19 (1209 views)
Shortcut
Never noticed a green tint [In reply to] Can't Post

Anytime I saw it. Strange

Bofur01
Lorien

Aug 24 2014, 8:29pm

Post #10 of 19 (1206 views)
Shortcut
Probably because it's really difficult to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Without a reference "pure white" alongside ;) When you're in a cinema, you can't see any colours that aren't onscreen, and so you'll notice it less.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 9:51pm

Post #11 of 19 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks just fine on my HD tv as well. Ah well don't care really. Seems like something to complain about for the sake of complaining.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 24 2014, 10:11pm

Post #12 of 19 (1145 views)
Shortcut
Doesnt look green to me either // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 10:20pm

Post #13 of 19 (1163 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

It's more what people have their TV's set to much like so,e of the complaints with the EE of FOTR.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 10:50pm

Post #14 of 19 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks fine on my HD TV, too. Certainly not one of the things that bugged me with DOS.

In Reply To
Looks just fine on my HD tv as well. Ah well don't care really. Seems like something to complain about for the sake of complaining.

Kendalf
Rohan

Aug 25 2014, 9:19am

Post #15 of 19 (1113 views)
Shortcut
No, the tint on "Fellowship" is a real issue [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's more what people have their TV's set to much like some of the complaints with the EE of FOTR.

Erm, no. In this case, perhaps, but the blanket green tint on the Ext Ed of "Fellowship" was repeatedly and extensively demonstrated in innumerable forums to be real and present. Whether you notice it and whether it bothers you is what accounts for the difference in opinion. Personally, I'm heartbroken by it: my favourite Middle-earth film now boasts some very questionable colouring in places and the aesthetic unity of the original trilogy has been broken.

However, I've watched "Unexpected Journey" two or three times now and never been struck by any unsightly 'green tint' so I'm not sure what's going on here. I wonder if it's just a case of crossed wires and someone somewhere has assumed the tint was on the first "Hobbit" movie rather than the first "Rings" movie...

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Bofur01
Lorien

Aug 25 2014, 9:52am

Post #16 of 19 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Read the first post - It's undeniably there on AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just not to so great an extent, I think.

Kendalf
Rohan

Aug 25 2014, 10:24am

Post #17 of 19 (1075 views)
Shortcut
If it's there, it's deliberate, subtle, part of the grading...and no-one's complaining [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's undeniably there on AUJ...Just not to so great an extent, I think.

Hmm. I'm a bit of an AV geek, sorry, enthusiast and I follow this type of stuff. When the Ext Ed of "Fellowship" came out the internet exploded. There'll be plenty of TORn members that remember I had plenty to say about the issue...

...but this is literally the first time I have heard anything about an alleged 'tint' on "Unexpected Journey". The internet certainly did not explode with its release last November and, let's remember, that was about 10 months ago. Where's the furore? I can't seem to find it. Anywhere.

If anything, I suspect this time around it's a case of one person's personal taste (rather than the actual existence of a demonstrable 'tint'). For what it's worth, I agree: Jackson's excessive colour-grading on these new films (coupled with all the unnecessary CGI etc) has resulted in an utterly synthetic-looking world, very different from the naturalistic, realistic "Towers" and "King".

But I don't think there's a 'blanket green tint' (accidental or otherwise) on "Unexpected Journey". And neither does the internet, as far as I can tell...

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 25 2014, 11:01am

Post #18 of 19 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Maybe on your tv it does [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure you and I have discussed this before. I've watched it several times on my HD tv and it's not there. So it's not so much opinion as fact when I put it into my tv and watch it. That's the only fact to me that matters not what you see when you watch it and you see this imaginary green tint because of the settings on your tv.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Aug 25 2014, 11:06am)

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 25 2014, 12:53pm

Post #19 of 19 (1068 views)
Shortcut
The difference... [In reply to] Can't Post

The difference between FOTR and AUJ is, that FOTR had previously been released without this greenish tint, so it looks like an error.

AUJ, however, has been released in this way only, so it's safe to assume that it looks the way the filmmakers intended it to be.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.