The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Cave Troll VS Azog

boldog
Rohan

Aug 11 2014, 10:53am

Post #1 of 11 (26110 views)
Shortcut
Cave Troll VS Azog Can't Post

Azog has proved to be able to stand up to himself pretty well. But how good can he go against the angered cave troll that the fellowship encounters in Balins tomb?

Will he be able to carve his name into the deceased trolls head? Or will he be squashed by the trolls mace?

Thoughts?

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 11 2014, 3:26pm

Post #2 of 11 (25452 views)
Shortcut
Troll. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cave troll gave the entire fellowship a good fight. I doubt Azog would last ten seconds against them.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 11 2014, 5:19pm

Post #3 of 11 (25438 views)
Shortcut
Me too..er.. what Meneldor said [In reply to] Can't Post

Thoughts? ** I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention ** (add music).

“Uva uvam vivendo varia fit."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2014, 10:30pm

Post #4 of 11 (25380 views)
Shortcut
Cave Troll. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 13 2014, 12:54am

Post #5 of 11 (25508 views)
Shortcut
very true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Cave troll gave the entire fellowship a good fight. I doubt Azog would last ten seconds against them.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 1:48pm

Post #6 of 11 (25357 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though it took the entire Fellowship to take down the Cave Troll, it seemed to me that that was due more to the large size, durability and brute strength of the Cave Troll rather than any intelligence or fighting ability on its part.

Azog, while not as large as a Cave Troll, is still considered a 'giant' by the standards of Dwarves and Men. So he's larger than anyone in the Fellowship was, and in addition to his size he is a long-lived Orc of great strength and durability. Add in his intelligence and experience, all driven by his brutal and ruthless disposition, and I think the overall fighting package would be far superior to the Cave Troll.

I'd give the win to Azog, no contest. I don't think we'd even have time to finish our popcorn Wink.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 5:16pm

Post #7 of 11 (25348 views)
Shortcut
It ain't over till the fat lady sings [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though it took the entire Fellowship to take down the Cave Troll

But one Dwarf (Dain Ironfoot) killed Azog (book).

Cave Troll stomps!

Please pass the popcorn. Wink

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 8:53pm

Post #8 of 11 (25329 views)
Shortcut
lol well sure, Dain was more intelligent than that Cave Troll [In reply to] Can't Post

In the film, the Moria Cave Troll didn't seem to have a lot of lights on in his upstairs room, if you get my drift Smile. He was more like a whomping stomping movable mountain. So he's got high strength and high ability to take damage, but low skill, agility and intelligence. Relative to the Troll, the Fellowship had low strength and ability to take damage (except for Gimli), and high skill, agility and intelligence. So they relied on wearing him down over time with superior skill, agility and intelligence. Yes it was a difficult fight, but more so, IMO, by their being already fatigued from fighting Orcs and also hindered with distraction over protecting Frodo.

Even though Azog is only one individual, as a long lived 'giant' Orc, his strength and ability to take damage is much higher relative to the Troll than was the Fellowship's, plus his agility, skill and intelligence (as portrayed in the film) are very high as well. I think at his peak he would wear the Troll down.

Now with Dain, you have a Dwarf, so his strength is almost equal to giant Orc Azog, plus Dain has a higher ability to take damage than Azog because as a Dwarf he would have better armor, also he would inflict higher damage because being a dwarf he would have better weaponry. Add that to their fairly equal skill, agility and intelligence, and overall Dain would triumph against Azog because of his superior damage dealing and ability to take damage.

This is the world according to me, of course Wink, just having fun with the film-universe Smile.

So.... if I'm saying that Dain (a dwarf) can defeat Azog, and Azog can defeat a Cave Troll, am I saying that Dain could defeat that Cave Troll? Well now that I think about it, yes, with their best armor and weapons, I think that a well-armed, skilled and determined Dwarf warrior could single-handedly have taken that particular Cave Troll down. Again I am speaking about that specific Cave Troll in Moria as shown in the film, who as portrayed didn't seem to me to be very high up the food chain as far as Trolls go Wink.

*brings over a little pot of melted butter to pour over Bracegirdle's popcorn* SmileSly

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Aug 23 2014, 8:54pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 9:26pm

Post #9 of 11 (25307 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, thanks for the butter Loresilme but [In reply to] Can't Post

Entire Fellowship just barely whups Cave Troll.
Azog whups Cave Troll.
Dain whups Azog.

I.e. Dain whups entire Fellowship.

Long time no watch movie. . . but Dain very robust.

** Bracegirdle still munching **

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 9:35pm

Post #10 of 11 (25373 views)
Shortcut
lol - [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I.e. Dain whups entire Fellowship.

lol! maybe they should have sent him to Mordor with the Ring Laugh!

*whips out Nestlé's crunch bar*

*crunch crunch crunch crunch*

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Aug 23 2014, 9:39pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 10:23pm

Post #11 of 11 (26095 views)
Shortcut
Pay no attention to the chap munching popcorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

He’s just being contrary—as Dain Ironfoot gallops to Mordor with Ring, and background music plays loudly the “William Tell Overture”. [From “The Lone Ranger” depending on your age.]
(PJ where are you—read and learn!) Cool

Heigh-ho Ironfoot! – Away!

** reaches for Snickers Bar, but already full of hot-BUTTERED popcorn ** Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.